inkless
Ownz

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jv0oAa-pPWM
Saturday Sessions: William Patrick Corgan performs "The Long Goodbye"

Old 10-22-2017, 07:51 PM   #62
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Quote:
The alt-rock icon, who just released the brilliant album Monuments To An Elegy, was speaking to French radio station Oui FM when asked about the 'Wrecking Ball' star.

Old 10-22-2017, 08:58 PM   #63
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grox View Post
dude it's a 2 hour show & he's 50 and has written over a thousand songs, i think the ipad is reasonable
I dunno man. If he's charging big money for these shows, the least he can do is learn the lyrics. You don't see guys like Green Day or Foo Fighters needing prompters... Not that I'm championing them or anything, it's just always been shitty optics for me when I see artists needing them.

I've always thought it was lame when I'd see guys like Weiland and Ozzy glued to teleprompters for some of their biggest hits. It's like come on man.... really?

I think some of these rock stars just take for granted the dream job that they get to do for a living. It's why I appreciate a lot of these punk bands who never have the big money but stick it out anyways. You'd never see a group with a large catalogue like The Ramones or SNFU using teleprompters.

Old 10-22-2017, 09:03 PM   #64
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjpaterra View Post
I'm at the Toronto show. Im surprised by the amount of empty seats
Apparently some of the shows are being discounted and added to the website Groupon.com. Monte made a post about it on Reddit lol.

Pretty weak that a guy like Corgan can't sell out the intimate venues he's playing.

I think it's the whole "William Patrick Corgan" thing that's pissing people off. If he just toured as Billy Corgan it would hold more weight I think. But people hear William Patrick Corgan and just think "Oh please".

Old 10-22-2017, 09:08 PM   #65
Ram27
dumb

yeah whenever I see someone saying 'WPC' i think they're lame

Old 10-22-2017, 09:12 PM   #66
fuzzyroes
Banned

Yeah, guy should just own it.

In the late 90's Charlie Sheen tried to change his name to Charles Sheen and everyone laughed and thought he was an idiot and it didn't stick.

If you're in show-business and lucky enough to have a name that is identifiable then you should really just embrace it. Just another notch in the belt to add to Corgans long list of bad career choices.

Old 10-23-2017, 12:30 AM   #67
T&T
Socialphobic

Billy has even said using William is a joke, and he thinks journalists are stupid for going along with it.

Old 10-23-2017, 12:49 AM   #68
Grox
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyroes View Post
I dunno man. If he's charging big money for these shows, the least he can do is learn the lyrics. You don't see guys like Green Day or Foo Fighters needing prompters... Not that I'm championing them or anything, it's just always been shitty optics for me when I see artists needing them.

I've always thought it was lame when I'd see guys like Weiland and Ozzy glued to teleprompters for some of their biggest hits. It's like come on man.... really?

I think some of these rock stars just take for granted the dream job that they get to do for a living. It's why I appreciate a lot of these punk bands who never have the big money but stick it out anyways. You'd never see a group with a large catalogue like The Ramones or SNFU using teleprompters.
green day and the foo fighters play static setlists for tours, the majority of which consist of hits they've been playing for decades. billy has new songs and entirely different old songs in his setlists every single tour. you think the motherfucker remembers every verse of annie-dog?

Old 10-23-2017, 03:22 AM   #69
Brisk
Ownz

Quote:
Apparently some of the shows are being discounted and added to the website Groupon.com. Monte made a post about it on Reddit lol.

Pretty weak that a guy like Corgan can't sell out the intimate venues he's playing.

I think it's the whole "William Patrick Corgan" thing that's pissing people off. If he just toured as Billy Corgan it would hold more weight I think. But people hear William Patrick Corgan and just think "Oh please".
Are you kidding... Green day and foo fighters play the same fucking setlist everyday. As someone said Billy has written over 1000 songs. He's so much more complex than those 2 bands out together.

Old 10-23-2017, 08:36 AM   #70
T&T
Socialphobic

Quote:
you think the motherfucker remembers every verse of annie-dog?
I do.

Quote:
green day and the foo fighters play static setlists for tours, the majority of which consist of hits they've been playing for decades. billy has new songs and entirely different old songs in his setlists every single tour.
but I agree with you

Old 10-23-2017, 09:46 AM   #71
FoolofaTook

When I saw Boris Takeshi knew all the lines by heart AND he was singing in a weird foreign language.

Major props.

Old 10-23-2017, 10:04 AM   #72
paranoid
Minion of Satan

Who cares if he has the lyrics in front of him? I think we’re digging a little too deep here to complain about something.

Old 10-23-2017, 10:10 AM   #73
FoolofaTook

Or we've just exhausted the obvious theme (the music) after 17 years of suckage.

Old 10-23-2017, 10:12 AM   #74
patj825
Pledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoid View Post
Who cares if he has the lyrics in front of him? I think we’re digging a little too deep here to complain about something.
I agree.

Old 10-23-2017, 11:21 AM   #75
Shadaloo
Apocalyptic Poster

He probably doesn't need them for the shit he's sung millions of times but I could see it for stuff he hasn't broken out in years like Friends as Lovers.

Toronto show wasn't totally empty, maybe the back few rows.

Old 10-23-2017, 03:11 PM   #76
matcada
Pledge

setlists from the last couple of shows anyone?

Old 10-23-2017, 07:26 PM   #78
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
green day and the foo fighters play static setlists for tours, the majority of which consist of hits they've been playing for decades. billy has new songs and entirely different old songs in his setlists every single tour. you think the motherfucker remembers every verse of annie-dog?
Be that as it may, is it too much to ask that an artist who is charging 75$ per ticket prepare and learn the songs he's going to be performing beforehand? It's not as though Corgan is throwing in a few requests and then having to turn to the prompter for a few parts.

And ask yourself this, how much heart and soul can you put into a performance when you're literally reading along as you're singing? It's super weak and displays a lack of pride in his craft. A stageshow is an important part of being a musician and watching a guy up on stage who can't even remember the words? It's bunk to the highest degree.

Old 10-23-2017, 07:38 PM   #79
redbreegull

Quote:
Be that as it may, is it too much to ask that an artist who is charging 75$ per ticket prepare and learn the songs he's going to be performing beforehand? It's not as though Corgan is throwing in a few requests and then having to turn to the prompter for a few parts.

And ask yourself this, how much heart and soul can you put into a performance when you're literally reading along as you're singing? It's super weak and displays a lack of pride in his craft. A stageshow is an important part of being a musician and watching a guy up on stage who can't even remember the words? It's bunk to the highest degree.
jesus, you are a more disingenuous faker than corgan is

Old 10-23-2017, 07:41 PM   #80
fuzzyroes
Banned

Billy Corgan reminds me of this kid that I performed with once in a high-school battle of the bands. We prepared and performed a handful of cover songs. But the dumbass that we had singing couldn't remember the lyrics, so he was literally standing up on stage holding a print-off of the lyrics in his hand, reading along to them as he sang. Even so, I think we were one of the better bands, but one of the judges told me later that we didn't place because it looked bad with the guy reading the lyrics off of a sheet of paper like that.

It was a common sense rationale for most people...

Old 10-23-2017, 07:45 PM   #81
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post
jesus, you are a more disingenuous faker than corgan is
Hey man, just because you support Billy's lazy, bloated rock star cliches doesn't mean that I have to.

Old 10-23-2017, 07:45 PM   #82
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

it is lame but it's not that big a deal. pretty sure you being that bothered by it is sillier than corgan doing it

Old 10-23-2017, 07:50 PM   #83
fuzzyroes
Banned

I'm not bothered. There's no way in hell I'd pay that kind of money to see Billy sitting up there alone acting all pretentious displaying his primary level piano playing. Having the lyrics clearly displayed right in front of him is simply another example of Corgan displaying more bloated rock star cliches.

Old 10-23-2017, 07:56 PM   #84
pavementtune

Location: I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.

you realize he did this for years, right? pre-gig shows and during main shows. the only difference is he is now using an ipad instead of having the sheet music with lyrics in front of him and he's doing it for the entire show instead of parts of it.

Old 10-23-2017, 08:53 PM   #85
Funbags
Apocalyptic Poster

Naw, in this case I think Billy should learn the words. It's not like he's performing for 3 hours.

It comes off as lazy and unrehearsed. If you're paying for a ticket to an 'intimate' performance -you don't want to see the performer reading off a fucking ipad. It's not exactly characteristic of an authentic, hearfelt experience.

Old 10-23-2017, 08:54 PM   #86
Grox
Apocalyptic Poster

yea dude you're wacked

Old 10-23-2017, 08:56 PM   #87
fuzzyroes
Banned

Yeah, I remember seeing a video from 2000 I think on Youtube where he was reading a teleprompter for Zero. It's always rubbed me the wrong way. But it seems to be a "rock-star" thing. I just don't get it.

Old 10-23-2017, 09:09 PM   #88
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funbags View Post
Naw, in this case I think Billy should learn the words. It's not like he's performing for 3 hours.

It comes off as lazy and unrehearsed. If you're paying for a ticket to an 'intimate' performance -you don't want to see the performer reading off a fucking ipad. It's not exactly characteristic of an authentic, hearfelt experience.
This exactly. You wanna feel like the guys pouring his heart out. Seeing the Apple I-pad so prominently displayed kills that romanticism.

I mean, so what if he forgets a few lyrics? It's supposed to be a spontaneous performance. If you forget a few lyrics, free style, change them, sing what you feel. Let the song evolve.

These bloated rock star antics are part of the reason why people always shit on the guy.

Old 10-23-2017, 10:12 PM   #89
Funbags
Apocalyptic Poster

Yeah, I'd rather him forget a few lyrics. That recent show where he forgot to change his harmonica was a great little moment, and the crowd loved it.

Old 10-23-2017, 11:29 PM   #90
enthusaroo
Apocalyptic Poster

It's funny to think how nobody would ever pay to watch "William Patrick Corgan" play "Ogilala songs." It's only because he's diving deep into The Smashing Pumpkins back catalog that it's watchable.