Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10-19-2018, 10:50 PM   #271
pavementtune

Location: I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by apathy View Post

A year or so ago I decided to start selling off my collection with the idea to get rid of everything except the vinyls. I threw VHS recordings on Youtube and started throwing stuff up on ebay. I didn’t realize though how hard it was going to hit me sentimentally. I sold a Mellon Collie tour shirt for $100 and all the while thought, why on earth would someone pay $100 for a shirt that was sold in every arena in America for a year. At the same time I couldn’t help but think, I’ll never get that back. I started to listening to the music again for the first time in a long time and it really made me realize how my teenage years had no chance against albums like SD and MCIS along with an insane amount of b-sides.
did you go through with selling all but vinyl in the end? I wanted to "get rid" of my collection last year as well, but couldn't bring myself to see half a basement go to some stranger. which felt really odd, it's "just things" but... it was still hard to pack it all up and give to a younger family member. With the last box of tapes I felt like saying "goodbye" to each and every one.

Old 10-19-2018, 10:52 PM   #272
slunky_munky
Demi-God

Mostly lurking now (or for the last 15 years). I think I first came here in '98 and it was quite positive. I think I must have started to be less frequent here around Zwan time but as I recall the anticipation but don't recall what people made of it at the time.

Old 10-20-2018, 02:52 AM   #273
apathy
Oblivious Virgin

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavementtune View Post
did you go through with selling all but vinyl in the end? I wanted to "get rid" of my collection last year as well, but couldn't bring myself to see half a basement go to some stranger. which felt really odd, it's "just things" but... it was still hard to pack it all up and give to a younger family member. With the last box of tapes I felt like saying "goodbye" to each and every one.
No I didn't. My brother had a girlfriend that worked for EMI (Virgin's distributor at the time) during the Machina era and he was able to snag me a bunch of promo stuff. I still sell that because I have duplicates, but I was never able to break down and continue selling the stuff that I actually collected over the years. As much as I'd like to think of myself as some wannabe minialimist, it just wasn't worth the emotional cost. Agreed, it is definitely odd.

In fact quite the opposite happened. With the money I had made initially I went out and bought the rest of the reissue box sets (my wife had gotten me Gish and SD as a gift years back, which I had only looked at a time or two). I'm actually a little embarrassed to say at this point, but I didn't even know / realize that TAFH had been issued on vinyl and as well as a MC reissued vinyl. I actually like Ogilala and got that as well. With the tour happening shortly after all this my full retirement from pumpkindom has turned into a bit of a SP renaissance.

Old 10-20-2018, 08:14 AM   #274
srt4b
Apocalyptic Poster

Equally as negative, it's was just aimed at Bush, STP, Nirvarna, Pearl Jam, etc.

Old 10-20-2018, 12:53 PM   #275
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0ss View Post
To be fair though I was always nice to you because I thought you had down syndrome.
I don't recall you having time to be nice to anyone what with all the incessant posting of tit pics!

Old 10-20-2018, 02:42 PM   #276
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard View Post
Wasn't Jeroen serving from an Oslo university's network?

That's how I remember it, at least.
you're probably right, then.

Jeroen is a decidedly Dutch name though, I kind of expected him to be serving from Leiden or Groningen or some such.

Old 10-20-2018, 07:21 PM   #277
majesty
Pledge

I remember this place when Lucas Kimmy Samsa Julio posted and if anything this place has mellowed.

Old 10-20-2018, 07:35 PM   #278
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

Did anyone else try to buy a 666 shirt from Sam Manzie before he murdered his kid neighbor? I remember he replied to my email and I almost bought one from him.

Old 10-20-2018, 07:37 PM   #279
Ihaguitar
Apocalyptic Poster

There was a murderer on here?

Old 10-20-2018, 07:39 PM   #280
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

Nah, he was on alt.music.smash-pumpkins

Old 10-20-2018, 07:51 PM   #281
Ihaguitar
Apocalyptic Poster

Ah, I used to go on there.

Old 10-21-2018, 12:54 AM   #282
Slygmous
Ikari Rake Warrior

Did FearFactory actually die, or was that just an inside joke I never got?

Old 10-21-2018, 09:16 AM   #283
Funbags
Apocalyptic Poster

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by majesty View Post
I remember this place when Lucas Kimmy Samsa Julio posted and if anything this place has mellowed.
I remember Kimmy aka Rancid Pussy. And I remember Lucas aka The Frog Prince (I think?), who was a Morman but super cool.

Old 11-10-2018, 01:44 AM   #284
redbull
Immortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funbags View Post
I remember Kimmy aka Rancid Pussy. And I remember Lucas aka The Frog Prince (I think?), who was a Morman but super cool.
I remember lucas posting some absolutely bizzare shit on the blamo boards. was his username still_ill?

Old 11-10-2018, 04:43 AM   #285
MisterSquishyHalo
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaFritz View Post
I was just wondering about whether this was ever a "positive" board. I think I joined it around 2006 and enjoyed it as a venue for talking about Machina 2, which I had just discovered, feeling bad about TFE, and decoding his 2005 blog posts. It was also a good outlet for the earth-shattering disappointment known as Zeitgeist.

But before then - in the era before Zwan or before Machina - were people here positive about the music? Or did this board even hate Machina 2 when it came out?

Furthermore, did this board ever uncritically accept Billy? Or has it always been a place for those more critical of his self-aggrandizement. (I think that this is a strength of the board.)

Just curious.
There was a ton of positivity 1998-2001. Machina was accepted fairly well, and the forum had a ton of fun with the Machina 2 leak. Then you had the final tour with Auf De Maur. Even Zwan it was still really inspired and fun...but then it started to go nuts.

Old 11-10-2018, 04:47 AM   #286
Funbags
Apocalyptic Poster

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
I remember lucas posting some absolutely bizzare shit on the blamo boards. was his username still_ill?
I'm not sure about Blamo, but I remember him talking about "Poo Dollar" and "brownfruit4u"

Old 11-16-2018, 05:08 PM   #287
MarshallMonster
Amish Rake Fighter

Was wondering the same thing

Old 11-16-2018, 08:00 PM   #288
pinetree
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by majesty View Post
this was my era. such nostalgia. I loved samsa. I tolerated Julio. ..I'm surprised he's not here anymore. I always feel like FoolofaTook might be Julio

Old 11-16-2018, 08:04 PM   #289
pinetree
Ownz

whatever happend to b.onsor (you cant even type his name! ?). I'm getting sad now and all Billy can offer me is riding rainbows and we're in the manhole, we're in the man hole GOATSE.cx

Old 11-16-2018, 08:34 PM   #290
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

pinepee

Old 11-16-2018, 08:38 PM   #291
pinetree
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoolofaTook View Post
pinepee
sup hoss

Old 11-16-2018, 08:39 PM   #292
FoolofaTook

never speak to me. you just dissed kid a and in rainbows. i don't know you.

Old 11-16-2018, 08:43 PM   #293
pinetree
Ownz

Quote:
never speak to me. you just dissed kid a and in rainbows. i don't know you.
I remember buying kid a on release day when I was a freshman in college. I listened many times. wasn't there a track about sucking a lemon? the record sucks. I sold it back to blockbuster at some point for 5 bucks and felt guilty that I got paid money for that masturbatory pile of shit.

Old 11-16-2018, 08:49 PM   #294
johncg
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetree View Post
I remember buying kid a on release day when I was a freshman in college. I listened many times. wasn't there a track about sucking a lemon? the record sucks. I sold it back to blockbuster at some point for 5 bucks and felt guilty that I got paid money for that masturbatory pile of shit.
You can’t deny Kid A’s influence and the fact that it created the sound of every band to come after it through to today. Just turn on the radio. All your hear in rock music is that smooth electronic production plus rock band sound. It’s everywhere.

Old 11-16-2018, 08:53 PM   #295
redbreegull

Pinetree is a notorious idiot and mostly a troll. Anything he says is likely because he wants a reaction

Old 11-16-2018, 08:55 PM   #296
FoolofaTook

ah.

thank you for clearing that up.

Old 11-16-2018, 08:55 PM   #297
FoolofaTook

FUCK YOU PINEPEE

Old 11-16-2018, 09:00 PM   #298
pinetree
Ownz

Quote:
FUCK YOU PINEPEE
you're still my favorite current netphorian

Old 11-16-2018, 09:05 PM   #299
FoolofaTook

no shit. i rule this place like abbath doom occulta rules the nether void.

Old 11-16-2018, 09:26 PM   #300
redbreegull

also comparing took to julio is cruel and incredibly unfair to took