Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > General Boards > General Chat Message Board
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11-13-2015, 02:08 AM   #1
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Default I Like Planets, OK?

I just do. I shouldn't have to explain myself to you people.

Pictured: These are good

Old 11-13-2015, 02:17 AM   #2
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!

I don't think they are spaced correctly

Old 11-13-2015, 04:45 AM   #3
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Here is a 1:1 scale model, with accurate sizes. Had to make things on the smaller size to capture the space between planets.

Old 11-13-2015, 04:49 AM   #4
redbreegull

I just read this thing about a dwarf object orbiting the sun with an aphelion of ~160 billion kms, compared to neptune's which is like 4.5 billion kms

Old 11-13-2015, 05:12 AM   #5
Disco King
Minion of Satan

That's crazy. I think I fell off knowing the bodies of the solar system after they declared Pluto a dwarf planet. Like, I don't know if we're supposed to know all those other dwarf planets, like Ceres and such or not.

I also forget the reason why orbits aren't circular and why they even have aphelions and perihelions instead of the object of their orbit being in the center of it. I gotta brush up on that stuff.

BTW, have you seen this?
http://joshworth.com/dev/pixelspace/...larsystem.html

Old 11-13-2015, 09:38 AM   #6
FoolofaTook

i like her too.

fuck the haters!

Old 11-13-2015, 09:59 AM   #7
duovamp
Brazilian Blouselord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco King View Post
I just do. I shouldn't have to explain myself to you people.

Pictured: These are good
Well that's dead wrong. The Earth should be in the middle.

Old 11-13-2015, 10:11 AM   #8
hnibos
Braindead

Should also be flat per toc

Old 11-13-2015, 10:29 AM   #9
duovamp
Brazilian Blouselord

Can't prove it isn't!

Old 11-13-2015, 10:57 AM   #10
FoolofaTook

i can prove it, on your mother, with my dick

Old 11-13-2015, 11:35 AM   #11
duovamp
Brazilian Blouselord

U avin a giggle their m8? Fink u can fokin come ere and ave a go at me mum?

Old 11-13-2015, 12:00 PM   #12
FoolofaTook

i thought this thread was in support of ilp, but it turns out it is just a mockery of ilp

i think i read "i like i like planets" instead of "i like planets"

and you guys get butthurt when people don't read the substance of threads

i dont read the TITLES of thread, bitches!

Old 11-13-2015, 03:42 PM   #13
redbreegull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco King View Post
That's crazy. I think I fell off knowing the bodies of the solar system after they declared Pluto a dwarf planet. Like, I don't know if we're supposed to know all those other dwarf planets, like Ceres and such or not.

I also forget the reason why orbits aren't circular and why they even have aphelions and perihelions instead of the object of their orbit being in the center of it. I gotta brush up on that stuff.

BTW, have you seen this?
http://joshworth.com/dev/pixelspace/...larsystem.html
shit is crazy. I don't know the dwarf planets well either.... Ceres is the big one in the asteroid belt, right? one of the super far away ones is called Sedna, like twice as far out as pluto...

I'm looking for the article, but I read this thing in I think BBC science recently about how by some calculations there is all this mass missing from the solar system, like there should be a huge planet way beyond the other planets in order for gravity to seem correct in the way it acts on all the known bodies. I'm articulating it poorly but that sounds fucking awesome, a HUGE ghost planet just lurking out here, messing with gravity....

I also just read a thing on how NASA previously thought Voyager 1 had left the solar system, but now they think from measurements of cosmic rays, that after almost 40 years, it STILL has not crossed the heliopause and left the grip of the sun's solar winds.

Old 11-13-2015, 04:46 PM   #14
duovamp
Brazilian Blouselord

Classic Sun. Can't ever just let go.

Old 11-13-2015, 05:19 PM   #15
redbreegull

my word choice was poor, the solar winds actually blow outward, and they push shit from the intergalactic medium away from the sun and its satellites. somewhere there is a theorized point called the heliopause where the push of the solar winds reaches a point of equalization with all the cosmic energy and shit bombarding the solar system from deep space

Old 11-13-2015, 05:25 PM   #16
FoolofaTook

do you drop the word shit in every once in a while to mitigate your otherwise absolute nerdness?

Old 11-13-2015, 05:32 PM   #17
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post
I'm looking for the article, but I read this thing in I think BBC science recently about how by some calculations there is all this mass missing from the solar system, like there should be a huge planet way beyond the other planets in order for gravity to seem correct in the way it acts on all the known bodies. I'm articulating it poorly but that sounds fucking awesome, a HUGE ghost planet just lurking out here, messing with gravity....
isn't it at least just as likely that our calculations just aren't exactly right and we haven't accounted for some unknown variable?

Old 11-13-2015, 05:36 PM   #18
redbreegull

Quote:
Originally Posted by reprise85 View Post
isn't it at least just as likely that our calculations just aren't exactly right and we haven't accounted for some unknown variable?
yes, it's just one interesting hypothesis. a fuckin GHOST PLANET!!!! but there is some other possible evidence for a large body beyond the classic solar system. some scientists think that some of the way far out dwarf planets are too large to have ended up so far from the sun by themselves, and one explanation is that they could have followed a rogue or extra-solar planet of some sort that flew off into space or just happened to pass through our solar system

Old 11-13-2015, 05:42 PM   #19
redbreegull

http://www.universetoday.com/37479/dwarf-planet-sedna/

I didn't realize the Oort cloud was so far outside the rest of the solar system, and outside the heliopause?

Old 11-13-2015, 05:43 PM   #20
FoolofaTook

u think ur all that becuz u know about planets

Old 11-13-2015, 05:43 PM   #21
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

cool. space is so crazy. and the fact that we are able to understand so much about it and come up with calculations and know about things millions of light years away is just astounding. the scale is just incomprehensible.

i mean these things are obv but

Old 11-13-2015, 05:45 PM   #22
FoolofaTook

yeah obv a conspiracy

a grand lie to distract you from the truth

Old 11-13-2015, 05:50 PM   #23
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Quote:
I guess the Duhem-Quine thesis states that hypotheses can never be falsified in isolation, as they exist in a web of auxiliary hypotheses. So, you can't just do a simple modus tolens with your hypothesis and empirical data as premises, because you'd have to rule out all of the assumptions in light of which that evidence is construed. So, scientists tend to follow the path of least mutilation, and tend to point to the statement that would affect the entire web of knowledge the least as the statement that should be thrown out and be considered falsified.

For example, after noticing perturbations in Neptune's orbit that didn't confirm to Newtonian calculations, instead of taking that as a falsification of Newtonian theory and throwing the entire framework out, scientists instead hypothesized that some unseen planets were causing the perturbations. And though it was technically an ad hoc assumption, given the empirical strength classical mechanics had that far, it was actually more rational to assume more planets. And that hypothesis was confirmed when we discovered Uranus and Pluto.

I guess that's assuming that the data was correctly collected, as well. It wasn't that long ago when a team of researchers thought they had discovered that neutrinos are faster than light. Turned out to be an error.

Old 11-13-2015, 06:49 PM   #24
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

you are smarter than me. thanks for the explanation.

Old 11-13-2015, 08:16 PM   #25
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Lol no I'm not

Old 11-13-2015, 08:41 PM   #26
redbreegull

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoolofaTook View Post
do you drop the word shit in every once in a while to mitigate your otherwise absolute nerdness?
no, sadly it is because although I love science, I can usually only understand it in broad conceptual terms. I don't know exactly what all the shit flying at our solar system from deep space is. I know some of it is energy from other stars, like cosmic beams of energy, but I believe there is also matter in the intergalactic medium?

Old 11-13-2015, 08:48 PM   #27
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

in this arena you most definitely are

@disco king

Old 11-13-2015, 08:53 PM   #28
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post
no, sadly it is because although I love science, I can usually only understand it in broad conceptual terms. I don't know exactly what all the shit flying at our solar system from deep space is. I know some of it is energy from other stars, like cosmic beams of energy, but I believe there is also matter in the intergalactic medium?
I think they tend to use "cosmic rays" to refer to radiation that isn't electromagnetic radiation, like flying proton or neutrinos or alpha particles or something. Usually things radiated from atoms.

As to where they come from, I dunno. I guess things like stars and quasars? I dunno, I feel like the intergalactic medium wouldn't have enough energy to sort of shoot matter at us, because I kind of imagine it as really sparse clouds of gas just kinda floating there. I have no idea, though.

Yeah, I'm like you, in that I like science, but don't have a technical understanding of it, so I have to settle for conceptual metaphors, which can be so abstracted that they don't capture what's really going on. Makes me wish I gave a fuck in high school so that I'd had taken physics and done well at math, so that I could maybe pursue a minor in astrophysics or something. As it stands now, I would have to go back and learn all that shit before taking introductory physics courses, and I'm already almost done my degree anyway so I probably wouldn't have time, unless I wanted to take an extra year or two.

Watching this video makes me find of sad that I will never truly understand things like quantum mechanics because I don't know the formalism. I only have, like VSauce videos and shit.

Old 11-13-2015, 08:56 PM   #29
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Quote:
in this arena you most definitely are

@disco king
I do have a little armchair interest in philosophy of science, but I'm no expert.

You're the board psychology expert, though, so you always have cool things to say about that. Especially because psychology is one of those kinds of things everybody pretends to know about, but only some people actually do.

Old 11-13-2015, 08:59 PM   #30
redbreegull

I'm not so sure about how empty the space between stars is. But they believe the space between galaxies and galaxy clusters is probably filled by super structures, i.e. massive filaments of plasma. These are the largest "known" structures in the universe.