Netphoria Message Board


Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > General Boards > Music News and Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Photo Album Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2015, 05:52 PM   #181
Sonic Johnny
Through Silver In Buds
 
Sonic Johnny's Avatar
 
Location: Centralia
Posts: 16,187
Default

Holy fuck you are so stupid it physically hurts to read your posts sometimes.

 
Sonic Johnny is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 05:53 PM   #182
Sonic Johnny
Through Silver In Buds
 
Sonic Johnny's Avatar
 
Location: Centralia
Posts: 16,187
Default

You criticise an entire wing of music media because you don't know how to preview something before you download it. Your fault, moron.

 
Sonic Johnny is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 05:55 PM   #183
Sonic Johnny
Through Silver In Buds
 
Sonic Johnny's Avatar
 
Location: Centralia
Posts: 16,187
Default

At this point your argument has been reduced to "well this one time someone described something in a way where i thought i would like it but i didn't so therefore all BLOGGER BANDS ARE BAD BLOGS ARE BAD MUSIC NOW IS SHIT BRING BACK COOL BANDS LIKE CANDLEBOX OR WHATEVER.

 
Sonic Johnny is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 05:59 PM   #184
slunken
Virgo
 
slunken's Avatar
 
Posts: 38,573
Default

to be fair, a LOT of modern music (especially blog rock and indie bandcamp genres) do nothing but ape something that already existed once before.

sometimes i feel like you're not supposed to be enjoying the actual music, instead you're just appreciating their choices and aesthetic decisions or level of commitment to a predefined style.

when fuzzy writes

"So I go on and download the album with much anticipation only to end up hearing the most vapid, basic, boring, unoriginal music I've ever heard. It pretty much sounded like a very tired, weak, dumbed-down version of _____"

i totally get that. of course its not true all across the board but its definitely happening. i mean, millenials generally don't give a shit about history or cultural context (about anything) so its all fair game to them. very interesting times.

i just got back from vacation so i've been lurking here and there and i really have no horse in this race but i just wanted to throw this out there.

 
slunken is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 06:07 PM   #185
Sonic Johnny
Through Silver In Buds
 
Sonic Johnny's Avatar
 
Location: Centralia
Posts: 16,187
Default

well then express your shitty opinion like what it is: a shitty opinion, and stop trying to tell me that there's some grand fucking blogger conspiracy to push shitty music on people and that we'd all be better off if people would just start buying music from Sony again because those guys know good talent or something.

 
Sonic Johnny is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 06:11 PM   #186
Sonic Johnny
Through Silver In Buds
 
Sonic Johnny's Avatar
 
Location: Centralia
Posts: 16,187
Default

And if you sincerely feel like music was better in the 90s under major labels and that guitar music is stale, well it sucks to be you cause there's a whole galaxy of sweet guitar music out there right now for you to discover but you don't have the cognitive faculties to enjoy it because you need some easy, bland, chorus-heavy fucking bro rock bullshit cause its the only thing your tiny little monkey brain can process.

 
Sonic Johnny is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 06:13 PM   #187
Sonic Johnny
Through Silver In Buds
 
Sonic Johnny's Avatar
 
Location: Centralia
Posts: 16,187
Default

You are literally the thing you claim to be railing against. The only bands you ever push play verse-chorus-verse college radio alt-rock that only just falls inside the category of "alternative". You love almost exclusively music that is the definition of tepid and mediocre.

 
Sonic Johnny is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 06:15 PM   #188
Sonic Johnny
Through Silver In Buds
 
Sonic Johnny's Avatar
 
Location: Centralia
Posts: 16,187
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyroes View Post
YMaybe I'll start incorporating guitar with electronic music in a unique way... Could be a way to reach the best of both worlds.
OH MY GOD DUDE THATS SUCH AN AMAZING IDEA YOU JUST HAD IF ONLY SOMEONE ELSE HAD THOUGHT TO - OH NO WAIT, YOU DUMB CUNT, PEOPLE HAVE BEEN DOING THAT FOR YEARS.

 
Sonic Johnny is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 06:16 PM   #189
Sonic Johnny
Through Silver In Buds
 
Sonic Johnny's Avatar
 
Location: Centralia
Posts: 16,187
Default

As i've said here, if you can't find new guitar music that interests you, its your own fault for either not knowing where to look or being too stupid to enjoy said new guitar music.

 
Sonic Johnny is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 06:23 PM   #190
Sonic Johnny
Through Silver In Buds
 
Sonic Johnny's Avatar
 
Location: Centralia
Posts: 16,187
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyroes View Post
That's not what I'm saying man. Lord knows there was a ton of shit in the 90's as well... For every exciting act there was 20 Dishwalla's. But from an underground aspect there was tons of pivitol indie acts and records in the 90's. If you liked passionate, aggressive guitar based music the 90's was a goldmine.

Nowadays it's like this shitty ELO like dance rock, poser folk-rock etc... It's all so pretentious and based on status rather than the pure emotion and energy that the artists are trying to achieve. And the reason that music is so "big" is due to how shitty blogs pump it up constantly. These blogs are very influential and they're breaking mostly shit to the masses. It's a shame.
Your assertion that because you don't enjoy something there's no emotion put into it is dumb. Your assertion that people aren't making passionate guitar music is wrong. Again, if you can't find this music, it's your own dumb fucking fault. Why does it bother you so much if people who like EDM listen to EDM and people who like "poser folk-rock" as you call it listen to that?

AND WHY do you continue to talk like an authority on the subject? We've established that you don't know what the fuck you're talking about.

 
Sonic Johnny is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 06:26 PM   #191
Sonic Johnny
Through Silver In Buds
 
Sonic Johnny's Avatar
 
Location: Centralia
Posts: 16,187
Default

DUDE WHO GIVES A FUCK ABOUT PITCHFORK, IF YOU LIKE THE BAND GO SEE THEM WHO GIVES A FUCK WHY DOES IT MATTER TO YOU IF A BAND YOU LIKE DOESNT SELL OUT ARENAS BECAUSE APPARENTLY BLOGS WON'T TOUCH THEM.

 
Sonic Johnny is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 06:27 PM   #192
Sonic Johnny
Through Silver In Buds
 
Sonic Johnny's Avatar
 
Location: Centralia
Posts: 16,187
Default

Just don't fucking act like some hipster illuminati blogged guitar music out of existence because they hate fun and love posing

 
Sonic Johnny is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 06:29 PM   #193
Sonic Johnny
Through Silver In Buds
 
Sonic Johnny's Avatar
 
Location: Centralia
Posts: 16,187
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyroes View Post
whatever man, you can go listen to Mumford and Sons and the 20 other current bands that pitchfork raves about and if you like that's all that matters. After all, everyones entitled to their own opinion.

I just don't like the trendy, elitist way that those blogs operate.
Dude, it's literally the same thing as Rolling Stone was, just the decade has changed. It's the same as any fucking music publication throughout history, just you're alive to see it happen.

 
Sonic Johnny is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 06:33 PM   #194
Sonic Johnny
Through Silver In Buds
 
Sonic Johnny's Avatar
 
Location: Centralia
Posts: 16,187
Default

Here's a theory: you don't like the music pitchfork likes, so you shouldn't read it.

Notice how this theory doesn't involve everybody who doesn't like the same things as you being part of an elaborate competition to see who can pretend to enjoy the most unenjoyable music? Notice how this theory, it doesn't treat everyone who disagrees with you as though their tastes are invalid? Notice how it doesn't construct a massive cultural conspiracy that conveniently elevates you to the status of Last Guardian Of Real Rock Music?

 
Sonic Johnny is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 06:38 PM   #195
Sonic Johnny
Through Silver In Buds
 
Sonic Johnny's Avatar
 
Location: Centralia
Posts: 16,187
Default

so what you're trying to tell me is that all these people just like whatever music they are told to like by blogs rather than the music they enjoy because...?

 
Sonic Johnny is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 06:40 PM   #196
Sonic Johnny
Through Silver In Buds
 
Sonic Johnny's Avatar
 
Location: Centralia
Posts: 16,187
Default

How do you not see how that narrative is infantile and arrogant? Music has for the most part changed since you were in high school, and you're upset about that, so you have to accuse people who enjoy music now of suffering through things they don't like in order to look cool rather than accept that maybe they legitimately enjoy the music they listen to.

That is so. Fucking. Childish.

 
Sonic Johnny is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 06:41 PM   #197
Shallowed
Braindead
 
Shallowed's Avatar
 
Location: my parent's house in a shitty backwater country town
Posts: 15,510
Default

Why does it matter so fucking much to you if other people listen to or like something, before you decide if you like it or not yourself?

 
Shallowed is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 06:43 PM   #198
slunken
Virgo
 
slunken's Avatar
 
Posts: 38,573
Default

i'm kind of an old fuddy-duddy. i don't have the time or desire to read music blogs or news sites and sample a bunch of bands. the only new stuff i hear is because it's released on a label i already follow, or an artist i already know mentions it. there has to be some connection to something that i already enjoy. for better or for worse, i just let music fall into my lap these days.

i too had to make a conscious decision to get back into "guitar-based" music because after a while i realized i practically didn't own many new records like that. i just let it happen and don't try to control it. i'm old and lazy and i just don't care. but i don't go looking for someone or something to blame.

 
slunken is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 06:46 PM   #199
slunken
Virgo
 
slunken's Avatar
 
Posts: 38,573
Default

my only point of contention with reading blogs and keeping up to date with new music stuff is that, for me, the end game is just spending more money. i'm basically browsing advertisements and i just don't like to do that.

i shudder to think of the hours i've spent in the past downloading albums and manicuring an ipod.

 
slunken is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 06:46 PM   #200
Sonic Johnny
Through Silver In Buds
 
Sonic Johnny's Avatar
 
Location: Centralia
Posts: 16,187
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyroes View Post
If they ditched that whole charade I'd be more cool with them... But its all posturing and trendy bullshit. I feel bad that you rely on them as a source to provide you with music worth hearing.
What makes you think that that's the case? I follow 10-15 different blogs (incl but not limited to - P4k, The Quietus, Brooklyn Vegan, Metalsucks, Resident Advisor, STYLSS, Decibel, Acid Stags, Do Androids Dance) plus somewhere in the vicinity of 200-300 different record labels, artists and critics on Twitter, plus a number of facebook discussion groups where likeminded people share obscure stuff they enjoy.

 
Sonic Johnny is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 06:48 PM   #201
Sonic Johnny
Through Silver In Buds
 
Sonic Johnny's Avatar
 
Location: Centralia
Posts: 16,187
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyroes View Post
Sadly, that's generally how a lot of music fans act. Feels good for them to be in on the big hot thing

If you sincerely believe the reason that we don't live in a world where NOFX and bands like NOFX aren't selling out arenas twenty years after they started is because everybody but you would rather feel cool than listen to music they genuinely like, I am done with this argument because that is phenomenally stupid even by your standards.

 
Sonic Johnny is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 06:50 PM   #202
slunken
Virgo
 
slunken's Avatar
 
Posts: 38,573
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Johnny View Post
What makes you think that that's the case? I follow 10-15 different blogs (incl but not limited to - P4k, The Quietus, Brooklyn Vegan, Metalsucks, Resident Advisor, STYLSS, Decibel, Acid Stags, Do Androids Dance) plus somewhere in the vicinity of 200-300 different record labels, artists and critics on Twitter, plus a number of facebook discussion groups where likeminded people share obscure stuff they enjoy.
i follow the quietus on twitter and even i think they tweet too much. self-titled mag is good too.

but seriously, doesn't this fill your feed with non-stop advertisements? i mean - i read some great articles from those two but sometimes i'm just like "please stop with the constancy"

200-300 record labels? christ almighty...

 
slunken is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 06:53 PM   #203
slunken
Virgo
 
slunken's Avatar
 
Posts: 38,573
Default

for the record, i'm not trying to defend one stance or the other, i would just like to be a 3rd party (devil's advocate) to this 2-person argument that's going on.

the truth, as always, is somewhere in the middle

its kind of funny how smashing pumpkins fans try to convince each other that they DONT listen to shitty music. i see a lot of energy going into that. it's just music. billy did not teach us well. as if we have to believe our music is morally superior to other kinds of music.

 
slunken is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 06:56 PM   #204
Sonic Johnny
Through Silver In Buds
 
Sonic Johnny's Avatar
 
Location: Centralia
Posts: 16,187
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slunken View Post
i follow the quietus on twitter and even i think they tweet too much. self-titled mag is good too.

but seriously, doesn't this fill your feed with non-stop advertisements? i mean - i read some great articles from those two but sometimes i'm just like "please stop with the constancy"

200-300 record labels? christ almighty...
I don't follow most blogs on twitter, because usually they're reposting articles I see on their homepage anyway. that 200-300 number accounts for labels, artists (this makes up a big chunk), individual journalists in the field (Kim Kelly etc), and other miscellaneous music-related twitter accounts that post recommendations, new bands etc. Probably 40 or 50 are labels - i'll follow any local or Australian indie label I see and I do overseas ones if they've put out even one band i dig.

 
Sonic Johnny is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 06:57 PM   #205
Sonic Johnny
Through Silver In Buds
 
Sonic Johnny's Avatar
 
Location: Centralia
Posts: 16,187
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyroes View Post
What can I say, I'm a passionate purest
purist*

and that's not an answer to the question. If you're a purist, why does that make you care about other people's behaviours?

 
Sonic Johnny is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 06:58 PM   #206
Sonic Johnny
Through Silver In Buds
 
Sonic Johnny's Avatar
 
Location: Centralia
Posts: 16,187
Default

Do you seriously believe that Mumford and Songs is the most popular band in the world right now?

 
Sonic Johnny is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 07:00 PM   #207
slunken
Virgo
 
slunken's Avatar
 
Posts: 38,573
Default

i've been wanting to get a ukulele for around the house but i don't want to get lumped into the bad news that people have created for the instrument

isn't that kind of fucked up

 
slunken is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 07:01 PM   #208
Sonic Johnny
Through Silver In Buds
 
Sonic Johnny's Avatar
 
Location: Centralia
Posts: 16,187
Default

I'm not disputing that music press can push a band into success. What i'm disputing is the idea that people are listening to music they don't actually enjoy in order to be cool.

Clearly a lot of people DO love Mumford and Sons. I don't. You don't. But you know what? That doesn't invalidate those people enjoying that music. That you're so immature that you have do demote someone else's enjoyment of a thing to validate yourself is just really fucking sad man.

 
Sonic Johnny is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 07:02 PM   #209
Sonic Johnny
Through Silver In Buds
 
Sonic Johnny's Avatar
 
Location: Centralia
Posts: 16,187
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slunken View Post
i've been wanting to get a ukulele for around the house but i don't want to get lumped into the bad news that people have created for the instrument

isn't that kind of fucked up
man do it, it's good for your guitar technique if nothing else. Plus you can get em for like 40 bucks. I hardly play mine anymore but I like it.

 
Sonic Johnny is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 07:10 PM   #210
Sonic Johnny
Through Silver In Buds
 
Sonic Johnny's Avatar
 
Location: Centralia
Posts: 16,187
Default

But that American Steel album did get publicity... on
Punknews
, on AbsolutePunk, on scenepointblank, on decoymusic, on Razorcake...

it got lots of publicity and positive reviews... on music blogs aimed at the people who enjoy that kind of music. Blogs aren't ignoring them, at all. It's like you're mad that sushi restaurants exist because you only like mexican food or something.

 
Sonic Johnny is offline
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Google


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:27 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Smashing Pumpkins, Alternative Music
& General Discussion Message Board and Forums
www.netphoria.org - Copyright 1998-2014