Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > General Chat Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-2008, 08:55 PM   #1
ravenguy2000
NO FATS

Talking Happy Holidays Everyone

Top Stories: Focus puts retailers on a naughty and nice list for Christmas | christmas, focus, retailers : Gazette.com

Focus puts retailers on a naughty and nice list for Christmas

Focus on the Family wants shoppers to know which retailers are naughty and which ones are nice - at least when it comes to holiday lingo.

On Thursday the Colorado Springs-based ministry's political action arm launched its second-annual holiday campaign by posting an online shoppers guide with three categories: "Christmas-friendly" retailers, "Christmas-negligent" retailers and "Christmas-offensive" retailers.

The "friendly" retailers are so designated because they prominently use "Merry Christmas" and other Christmas-specific references in their catalogs and in-store promotions. Those on the Christmas-offensive list use secular phrases such as "happy holidays" and have "apparently abandoned" the use of the word "Christmas," Focus said. Christmas-negligent companies "marginalize" their message by using "Christmas" in some cases and "holidays" in others.

The ministry - which made its determinations based mostly on an examination of retailers' print and online holiday catalogs - encourages shoppers to patronize the Christmas-friendly stores, but does not tell them to avoid the other retailers.

"It is not a boycott," said Sonja Swiatkiewicz, Focus' director of issues response. "Consumers can do what they wish with the information."

Even so, the online guide includes an electronic petition shoppers can sign that tells retailers "I plan to consult Focus on the Family Action's Shopping Guide ... while making my Christmas purchases this year."

The Focus shopping guide is another weapon in the growing battle against what social conservatives several years ago labeled the "War on Christmas" - the notion that Christmas is being secularized, in part by retailers trying not to offend non-Christians by using terms like "holiday season," "winter season," "shopping season" and "holiday trees."

Some of the tactics have paid off.

In 2005, Sears, Kmart, Walmart and Target received threats of a boycott from Christian groups for their "holiday season" advertising. The companies soon adopted the Christmas-friendly language.

The idea for the Focus shopping guide was hatched last year after the success of "Merry Tossmas," a video by employee Stuart Shepard that was first shown on citizenlink.org on Nov. 1, 2007.

In the video - which Shepard updated in a sequel that premiered Thursday - he tosses catalogs that use generic holiday language into a waste can.

Shepard's first video received 2.2 million online visits. Emboldened by the response, Focus launched its first shoppers guide during the 2007 holiday season.

This year's campaign kicked off in April, when Focus sent letters to 33 retail executives asking companies to use Christian language during the holiday shopping season. Eight agreed, three were noncommittal and the rest have not responded.

One corporation that has two companies labeled "Christmas-offensive" and another designated "Christmas-negligent" received the Focus letter but has no plans to alter its holiday advertising.

"We are a diverse global retailer, aware that our customers come from many faith backgrounds," said Melissa Swanson, spokeswoman for San Francisco-based Gap Inc., which owns Gap, Banana Republic and Old Navy. "We honor that by not advertising toward people of any one faith. We want all of our customers to experience a warm and friendly shopping experience."

"Christmas-friendly" retailers — prominent acknowledgment of "Christmas"
Cabela's
Crate&Barrel
Dillard's
Eddie Bauer
JCPenney
Kohl's L.L.Bean
Lands' End
Linens 'n Things
Lowe's
Macy's
Neiman Marcus Nordstrom
Pier 1 Imports
Sears
The Home Depot
Target
Wal-Mart

"Christmas-negligent" retailers — marginalized use of "Christmas"
Barnes & Noble
Bed, Bath & Beyond
Best Buy
Borders
Circuit City Dick's Sporting Goods
GAP
KB Toys
Kmart
Toys "R" Us

"Christmas-offensive" retailers — apparent abandonment of "Christmas"
American Eagle
Banana Republic
Bloomingdale's
Lane Bryant
Old Navy

Old 11-16-2008, 09:15 PM   #2
Travis Meeks
Rambling on

this year I plan on being Christmas negligent

Old 11-16-2008, 09:59 PM   #3
ammy
yer mom

do people really have nothing important to invest their time in?

Old 11-16-2008, 10:14 PM   #4
hnibos
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ammy View Post
do people really have nothing important to invest their time in?
people=religious wackos?

yea

Old 11-16-2008, 10:30 PM   #5
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Location: Let me see you do the booty hop. And now make the booty stop. Now drop, and do the booty wop.

Well damn, I was planning on doing all my Christmas shopping at American Eagle, but

Old 11-17-2008, 12:50 AM   #6
gpub
Minion of Satan

Location: You's guys dont's likes the Toki... Well fucks you's

American Eagle and Old Navy seem the least likely... based on their names

Old 11-17-2008, 02:03 AM   #7
sickbadthing
Out fart the hottie!

who gives a fuck who gives a shit

Old 11-17-2008, 03:01 AM   #8
Mo
Immortal

They already put Christmas lights up all over town. God, how I hate this phony bullshit.

Old 11-17-2008, 06:10 AM   #9
Sarcastic Smile
Amish Rake Fighter

Location: I fuck in my spare time, this is what I do at work you dumb bitch.-esty

All that proved to me was that none of those bastards deserve my money, I am ordering all my shit from Japan.. or better yet-straight from the north pole!

Old 11-17-2008, 07:50 AM   #10
Starla

what about abercrombie!????

Old 11-17-2008, 08:17 AM   #11
Sarcastic Smile
Amish Rake Fighter

Location: I fuck in my spare time, this is what I do at work you dumb bitch.-esty

They just put hot guys with no shirts out front of their stores.. they don't say anything.. they're indifferent

Old 11-17-2008, 08:17 AM   #12
Sarcastic Smile
Amish Rake Fighter

ew i cant believe i just said that.. I forgot my brother did that one year when he worked for them

Old 11-17-2008, 12:46 PM   #13
better than new
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcastic Smile View Post
They just put hot guys with no shirts out front of their stores.. they don't say anything.. they're indifferent
I never understood that store. Do they sell clothes in there or just naked men and phat beats.

The people that get offended when stores don't say Merry Christmas are just as bad, if not worse than the ones that get offended when they do. Who gives a fuck?

Old 11-17-2008, 01:17 PM   #14
Caine Walker
Braindead

i'm not even going to be doing much christmas shopping this year. but the places i do patronize will most likely be christmas negligent.

that said, this is fucking stupid.

Old 11-17-2008, 01:25 PM   #15
noyen
Immortal

can they put the whole country of japan on the xmas super friendly list of places that dont even believe in god?

Old 11-17-2008, 01:34 PM   #16
maoi
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenguy2000 View Post

"We are a diverse global retailer, aware that our customers come from many faith backgrounds," said Melissa Swanson, spokeswoman for San Francisco-based Gap Inc., which owns Gap, Banana Republic and Old Navy. "We honor that by not advertising toward people of any one faith. We want all of our customers to experience a warm and friendly shopping experience."
God forbid.