Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List

Old 10-22-2016, 09:29 PM   #1
Ram27
dumb

Default Jimmy C drum clinic 10/22/16

I got to see this; it was unreal.

Personally speaking, I’ve never been to any sort of SP related thing before. And this, barring a reunion, was the most ideal experience possible in 2016. It was fucking mindblowing watching Jimmy play 5 feet from me. I got to meet him after the thing, said ‘thanks for making me a better drummer’ and shit, and he shook my hand. He’s such a good guy; all these people, including me, came up to him after the clinic while he was trying to put his stuff away, and he seemed genuinely interested in everyone that wanted to talk to him

One thing I noticed that doesn’t really translate to youtube is how fucking hard he hits the drums; especially the toms - he manages to get a certain crack out of them you can’t really get otherwise. Listening back to Siamese Dream on the way home, it all sort of fell into place how and why his drums sound the way that they do.

He played along to some JC complex stuff, Geek USA, Tonight Tonight ["it still feels really cool to play that part"], and Cash Car Star. Was not expecting the last one. All the tracks were cued up in iTunes on his laptop. I wonder if he was playing to the digital master of Cash Car….or did he pop onto archive.org before the show and download it
  • He said he and Billy were planning on recording something next year
  • Everything on Gish was recorded in one take, besides Snail, which was two takes because he dropped a stick during the first one
  • On Siamese Dream they were going for the most ideal sonic experience possible; Butch made Jimmy do tons of takes on everything.
  • Billy wrote Geek USA in order to give Jim a vehicle to show off on drums
  • Jimmy mentioned how he recorded with lyric sheets in front of him, in order to write parts to complement the message and emotions of the song
  • When playing the Tonight show in 2000, they were supposed to play SIYL; they played Cash Car Star instead and Leno was pissed:
  • Getting an endorsement from Yamaha in 1992 was really intense. He really wanted to be able to play Maple Customs. They sat him in a room within 5 minutes of getting there and told him to play. You really had to have chops to get an endorsement from them; regardless of how big your band was
  • His philosophy behind his drum sound came from listening to a lot of big band stuff growing up; the idea of being able to hear both heads resonate
  • I asked him during the Q+A [he addressed me as ‘yes, sir’ which really exemplifies that he's cool as shit...i'm 20 and am in college and am in no way a sir] about how the Pumpkins would speed stuff up a ton during the Mellon Collie tour, like Cherub Rock and Jellybelly, and if he had to practice much to play that stuff; and he was like “yeah, absolutely, it was crazy, some of that stuff really went off the rails; that’s the thing about Corgan, he always wants to push things live. I introduced him to starting songs off on a click when we toured with Manson, he was like ‘it sounds so much better this way’ and I was like ‘yeah!’” Then he told a story about how one time when he was playing An Ode to No One and in the middle of the song got really into it then cut his hand and got blood all over his white drum kit.
  • he talked about how music applies to business and technology...how composing a song applies to leading a company. About how one time this manager said he didn't know anything about audience testing, and he was like 'back in the Pumpkins we'd go play shows at the Metro and if the audience clapped it was a good song and we'd put it on the record...that's audience testing right there'
  • one more really interesting thing...sometimes when he has to play to a click, he'll replace the click sample with a tambourine, which allows for more fluidity in time and allows him to lay back in the verse and push the chorus

Last edited by Ram27 : 10-23-2016 at 07:00 PM.

Old 10-22-2016, 09:40 PM   #2
Ram27
dumb

phone was out of space, sorry fam

it was killer though

Old 10-22-2016, 09:51 PM   #3
bright_doom
Apocalyptic Poster

Wow. This is the best thing I've read on this forum in ages. Thanks for sharing!

Old 10-22-2016, 11:54 PM   #4
T&T
Socialphobic

Quote:
When playing the Tonight show in 2000, they were supposed to play SIYL; they played Cash Car Star instead and Leno was pissed:
"here's SIYL from their new Machina II album" wouldn't have made sense.

and billys' joke doesn't make sense "comedy doesn't pay". Jay is FUCKING RICH like a mofo. , whatever he ruined billy's joke making him repeat it. You don't go on a guy's show and shit on his profession. billy is a twat

Last edited by T&T : 10-23-2016 at 02:30 AM.

Old 10-23-2016, 12:05 AM   #5
Jelly Blossom
Demi-God

It's shit like what Ram27 just posted that makes a band interesting. When a band is a one man show who writes everything, sings everything and generally takes credit for everything is when a 'band' gets boring and one dimensional.

Old 10-23-2016, 01:27 AM   #6
TuralyonW3
Immortal

Neat info thanks

Cool fact about the Leno show, fuck that guy

Old 10-23-2016, 11:08 AM   #7
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram27 View Post
I got to see this; it was unreal.

That.
was.
fucking.
awesome.

Yeah!!!

Old 10-23-2016, 12:47 PM   #8
themadcaplaughs
Apocalyptic Poster

Jimmy seems like a class act. Weird that Leno got pissed about playing "Cash Car Star." Clearly, he knew it would happen before filming since he holds up a copy of Machina II, so it was not a complete surprise. That performance happened so close to the end of the band that they must have just said fuck it, and played a song that could not be purchased commercially. I suppose Leno got over it, as he had Billy come back in 2010.

Old 10-23-2016, 12:50 PM   #9
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

Quote:
[*]When playing the Tonight show in 2000, they were supposed to play SIYL; they played Cash Car Star instead and Leno was pissed:

...reminds of that UK show where Nirvana was supposed to play Lithium.

They played this instead:

Old 10-23-2016, 01:43 PM   #10
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Boris covered lithium.

Old 10-23-2016, 02:58 PM   #11
Ram27
dumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by themadcaplaughs View Post
Weird that Leno got pissed about playing "Cash Car Star." Clearly, he knew it would happen before filming since he holds up a copy of Machina II, so it was not a complete surprise.
Yeah, I'm not sure about that

I guess either Jimmy was misremembering, or the incident happened in soundcheck and they rewrote Leno's lines, or no one bothered to research the different tracklistings and thought SIYL was on Machina II

Well, a closer paraphrase of what Jimmy said was "this was 2000, so Machina era, we were supposed to play one of our big singles, Stand Inside Your Love, I think"

Maybe they were supposed to do Try Try Try, which a single and was basically on both records

Old 10-23-2016, 03:34 PM   #12
Reyngel
Apocalyptic Poster

I was actually at that taping of Leno, sitting front row in one of the swivel chairs that are reserved for the people Jay shakes hands with when he comes out at the beginning of the show. Crazy story about how all of that happened that day... maybe for another time.

Anyway, I don't recall Leno being pissed at all. They briefly soundchecked playing indescernible jam stuff, then headed to the green room. During commercial breaks, the crowd would chant, "Pumpkins! Pumpkins!" which fired up Jay and got him smiling. After Adam Sandler's segment, Adam yelled to the crowd, "Who's ready for the Pumpkins?!" and held up rock hands.

After Jay introduced the Pumpkins, they launched into Cash Car Star, BUT, the one shown on TV was actually a mashup of two different takes. Because after the 1st take, the producers asked Billy to do a redo. So they did. They used a lot of closeup shots and whatnot of James playing the solo, etc, from the second take. During the second take, Jay was all smiles and bobbing his head to the music.

When they were done playing, Billy addressed the crowd, saying thanks, and "See you in Chicago!"

Old 10-23-2016, 04:47 PM   #13
jimmy drevpile
Apocalyptic Poster

Glad you had fun. Great to see the kick work on Geek in such detail. Cheers.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 10-23-2016, 06:40 PM   #14
themadcaplaughs
Apocalyptic Poster

Great story! It must have been insane to see that performance!

Old 10-23-2016, 06:46 PM   #15
Grox
Apocalyptic Poster

this thread rules. thanks for posting ram & reyngel!

Old 10-23-2016, 07:52 PM   #16
qwerty sp
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grox View Post
this thread rules. thanks for posting ram & reyngel!

Best thread in ages

Old 10-24-2016, 03:53 AM   #17
russticles
Demi-God

OH MY GOD SO JELLYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

Especially as you got to see him perform Cash Car Star in clinic, WOW! Fuck me that is awesome!

Can you tell me what his setup was like? Did he have the 3 toms up front? Hard to tell from video angle. Looks like he only has one crash setup too.

Old 10-24-2016, 09:46 AM   #18
BurtSampson
Apocalyptic Poster

Cash Car Star is a bad song.

Old 10-24-2016, 10:12 AM   #19
Ram27
dumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by russticles View Post
OH MY GOD SO JELLYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

Especially as you got to see him perform Cash Car Star in clinic, WOW! Fuck me that is awesome!

Can you tell me what his setup was like? Did he have the 3 toms up front? Hard to tell from video angle. Looks like he only has one crash setup too.
Yeah I was super surprised when he started playing that

Better pics of his setup: http://i.imgur.com/vGO6E4l.jpg http://i.imgur.com/bx0sFtW.jpg

I kinda miss his old 90s setup with the 4 crashes and 2 chinas. I kinda have my kit like that and it's super fun to play. But I guess he's older and more refined and he knows what he's doing

Last edited by Ram27 : 10-24-2016 at 10:32 AM.

Old 10-24-2016, 10:49 AM   #20
Pizza Club
Apocalyptic Poster

I got to go to one of these things back in the post-Zwan days. They are really cool and I was a drummer at the time, so I got a lot out of it besides him being my idol.

I was also 20 and asked him to come to my 21st birthday party - and he said yes. A minute later his manager or whatever was waving his hands like crazy saying "No" and backed out of it. Still cool though. He so down to Earth and seems like a genuinely sweet guy.

Old 11-04-2016, 02:17 AM   #21
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by T&T View Post
and billys' joke doesn't make sense "comedy doesn't pay". Jay is FUCKING RICH like a mofo. , whatever he ruined billy's joke making him repeat it. You don't go on a guy's show and shit on his profession. billy is a twat
corg's joke was on the pumpkins, not leno
referring to what they were doing as comedy instead of music
around the same time he was referring to himself as a "bald guy in a dress with a whiny voice" or whatev

Old 12-03-2016, 02:47 AM   #22
Ram27
dumb

Here's another video from the session:

sorry about the shaky camera i was too busy masturbating

Old 12-03-2016, 07:02 AM   #23
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Here's another video from the session:

sorry about the shaky camera i was too busy masturbating

FANTASTIC. Thank you!!!

Old 12-03-2016, 10:31 AM   #24
fuzzyroes
Banned

Killer thread! I'd be psyched to see Jimmy in a setting like that!