Netphoria Message Board


Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Smashing Pumpkins Boards > Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Photo Album Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2018, 10:06 AM   #31
Cool As Ice Cream
Just Hook it to My Veins!
 
Cool As Ice Cream's Avatar
 
Location: František! How's the foot of your turtle?
Posts: 30,505
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corgan's Bluff View Post
"Transition" was a great improvement of the ordinary original Joy Division song.
oh oh

 
Cool As Ice Cream is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 10:11 AM   #32
FoolofaTook
Immortal
 
FoolofaTook's Avatar
 
Posts: 25,034
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corgan's Bluff View Post
"Transition" was a great improvement of the ordinary original Joy Division song.
the song is actually called "translation"

learn to spell, fatherfucker

 
FoolofaTook is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 10:14 AM   #33
Corgan's Bluff
Apocalyptic Poster
 
Corgan's Bluff's Avatar
 
Location: D'arcy's stable boy
Posts: 3,261
Cool

No one understood my translation joke...

Actually, many Joy Division fans hate the SP version, having not much common anymore with the original song, with the long improvisations.

 
Corgan's Bluff is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 11:11 AM   #34
Mals Marola
Minion of Satan
 
Mals Marola's Avatar
 
Location: When the topic turns to the bassist, Corgan becomes uneasy.
Posts: 5,379
Default

the "stoppen ze throwin ze cuppen" performance of Geek on German TV

or one of those festival performances of Hummer

or that one German MTV (i believe?) performance of XYU - they seem to do quite a bit of good things in Germany actually

 
Mals Marola is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 11:11 AM   #35
Mals Marola
Minion of Satan
 
Mals Marola's Avatar
 
Location: When the topic turns to the bassist, Corgan becomes uneasy.
Posts: 5,379
Default

whichever is the one he starts off dedicating to "Rudy the Striker"

 
Mals Marola is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 12:14 PM   #36
vixnix
Socialphobic
 
vixnix's Avatar
 
Location: pulitzer surprise motherfucker
Posts: 11,535
Default


 
vixnix is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 01:45 PM   #37
Kumar Littlejeans
Demi-God
 
Kumar Littlejeans's Avatar
 
Posts: 353
Default

I've run the numbers and the answer I believe is Cherub Rock SNL '93.
Cash Car Star on Halloween is way better than Leno, which is mixed terribly on every available source, but the Leno thing was very special for what it was.

My dark horse candidate is this:


Only televised BC piano thing ever I think

 
Kumar Littlejeans is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 02:19 PM   #38
Razor Star
Pledge
 
Posts: 198
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mals Marola View Post
whichever is the one he starts off dedicating to "Rudy the Striker"
“He was at the world cup. He can’t kick any more. He has an Afro. He is Rudy.”

For years I thought Bill was probably mistakenly talking about Ruud Gullit, the Dutch player, but it turns out there was a player on the German 1994 world cup team called Rudi who *sort of* had an afro.


Last edited by Razor Star : 10-15-2018 at 02:55 PM.

 
Razor Star is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 02:47 PM   #39
lightdark
Oblivious Virgin
 
lightdark's Avatar
 
Posts: 38
Default

Gutted I couldn't find the version of Widow with the Mormon choir - pure gold, that.

 
lightdark is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 04:59 PM   #40
Cool As Ice Cream
Just Hook it to My Veins!
 
Cool As Ice Cream's Avatar
 
Location: František! How's the foot of your turtle?
Posts: 30,505
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightdark View Post
Gutted I couldn't find the version of Widow with the Mormon choir - pure gold, that.
agreed

 
Cool As Ice Cream is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 06:17 PM   #41
RAWK
Pledge
 
RAWK's Avatar
 
Location: Hell A
Posts: 124
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by T&T View Post
SD era on SNL
Truth

 
RAWK is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 06:34 PM   #42
Mals Marola
Minion of Satan
 
Mals Marola's Avatar
 
Location: When the topic turns to the bassist, Corgan becomes uneasy.
Posts: 5,379
Default

the MCIS era SNL was better, imo, with the eye makeup and the unhinged screams on live, American television? a good reminder of why any of us on here probably like this band in the first place

 
Mals Marola is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 09:42 PM   #43
srt4b
Ownz
 
srt4b's Avatar
 
Posts: 813
Default

I guess I wasn't considering full concerts that were televised, was thinking more along the line of the TV 'spots'.

 
srt4b is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 11:34 PM   #44
FoolofaTook
Immortal
 
FoolofaTook's Avatar
 
Posts: 25,034
Default

mcis anything is better

mcis > all other eras


END OF DISCUSSION

 
FoolofaTook is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 12:58 AM   #45
Ramdust
Ownz
 
Ramdust's Avatar
 
Posts: 970
Default


 
Ramdust is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 11:51 PM   #46
Corgan's Bluff
Apocalyptic Poster
 
Corgan's Bluff's Avatar
 
Location: D'arcy's stable boy
Posts: 3,261
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor Star View Post
“He was at the world cup. He can’t kick any more. He has an Afro. He is Rudy.”

For years I thought Bill was probably mistakenly talking about Ruud Gullit, the Dutch player, but it turns out there was a player on the German 1994 world cup team called Rudi who *sort of* had an afro.


Oh je! Billy Corgan’s stupid rant against Rudi, the striker…

His full name is Rudi Völler. Corgan must have seen him play at the 1994 World Cup in Chicago, doing just the second halftime at the first game of Germany against Bolivia. Which Germany won. But not by a goal from Rudi. How dare he!
But in the second round Rudi scored in against Belgium two goals (final score 3:2), brought them into the quarter.
And in the quarter-final against Bulgaria Völler scored again, but the goal was disallowed. Which was tragic, because Germany then lost the match 1:2 and was out of the World Cup.

So one thing is sure: Corgan sucked in his knowledge about soccer.
And he still does, releasing a shortened concert of Düsseldorf 1996 on DVD, beginning just with his embarrassing Rudi joke.


For the national team Rudi Völler played 90 times and scored 47 goals, which makes him together with Jürgen Klinsmann the fourth most successful scorer of the German national team. He played 15 World Cup games and scored eight goals and eight European Championship games, where he scored four goals.

Rudi Völler became just six years after the 1994 World Cup the "coach" of the German football/soccer team. Not even having a coach licence he
managed Germany to become vice world champion at the 2002 World Cup in South Korea/Japan.

Nowadays one could rewrite Corgan’s rant about “Rudi the striker” into a joke about his own failure: not writing a hit anymore…


Frank Rijkaard from the soccer team of Netherland once did an infamous spit attack against Rudi Völler. They burried their hatchet with a common diner.
Corgan should reach out to Rudi this way too. Would give him a few German fans back and a little publicity. Though, did Rudi notice this douchebag and his joke at all?


Last edited by Corgan's Bluff : 10-16-2018 at 11:57 PM.

 
Corgan's Bluff is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 05:13 AM   #47
ava transformer
Apocalyptic Poster
 
ava transformer's Avatar
 
Location: A SAD, DARK PLACE
Posts: 1,360
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonumentsRocks View Post
I haven't seen all their TV appearance so there might be a better one, but I saw this for the first time about a year ago just clicking around YouTube, and thought holy shit that's amazing. It's a great song, and a ballsy song to perform on Leno, and Jimmy's drumming is absolutely frenetic, and Billy looks like hes having fun, even though he says he isn't later in the clip. And as far as Billy's outfit, I thought his Machina era costumes were the best.
I was there for that taping. Waited 33 hour outside to get in. I have a Polaroid with Jay Leno & I.. Also can be seen in the crowd in the beginning. They played the song twice cuz a cough was picked up on the audio during the first take.
__________________
HOW THE FUCK DO YOU EAT STRAWBERRY PIE?!!!

 
ava transformer is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 11:30 AM   #48
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird
 
topleybird's Avatar
 
Location: Where are you DeviousJ
Posts: 2,948
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corgan's Bluff View Post
Oh je! Billy Corgan’s stupid rant against Rudi, the striker…

His full name is Rudi Völler. Corgan must have seen him play at the 1994 World Cup in Chicago, doing just the second halftime at the first game of Germany against Bolivia. Which Germany won. But not by a goal from Rudi. How dare he!
But in the second round Rudi scored in against Belgium two goals (final score 3:2), brought them into the quarter.
And in the quarter-final against Bulgaria Völler scored again, but the goal was disallowed. Which was tragic, because Germany then lost the match 1:2 and was out of the World Cup.

So one thing is sure: Corgan sucked in his knowledge about soccer.
And he still does, releasing a shortened concert of Düsseldorf 1996 on DVD, beginning just with his embarrassing Rudi joke.


For the national team Rudi Völler played 90 times and scored 47 goals, which makes him together with Jürgen Klinsmann the fourth most successful scorer of the German national team. He played 15 World Cup games and scored eight goals and eight European Championship games, where he scored four goals.

Rudi Völler became just six years after the 1994 World Cup the "coach" of the German football/soccer team. Not even having a coach licence he
managed Germany to become vice world champion at the 2002 World Cup in South Korea/Japan.

Nowadays one could rewrite Corgan’s rant about “Rudi the striker” into a joke about his own failure: not writing a hit anymore…


Frank Rijkaard from the soccer team of Netherland once did an infamous spit attack against Rudi Völler. They burried their hatchet with a common diner.
Corgan should reach out to Rudi this way too. Would give him a few German fans back and a little publicity. Though, did Rudi notice this douchebag and his joke at all?

ok

 
topleybird is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 12:28 PM   #49
Shallowed
Braindead
 
Shallowed's Avatar
 
Location: A vegan's vagina
Posts: 16,580
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corgan's Bluff View Post
No one understood my translation joke...
Instead of blaming us, you should just own up to it being a shit joke.

 
Shallowed is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 06:47 PM   #50
Corgan's Bluff
Apocalyptic Poster
 
Corgan's Bluff's Avatar
 
Location: D'arcy's stable boy
Posts: 3,261
Arrow

Pah, just your lack of empathy...

You learn about REAL shit, if you go to a YouTube clip of Joy Division's TRANSMISSION,
and tell in the comment section, how much you like the cover version of the Smashing Pumpkins:


 
Corgan's Bluff is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 05:24 PM   #51
Ram27
Minion of Satan
 
Ram27's Avatar
 
Location: if drumming was a contest we'd've all already lost - JC - 10/22/16
Posts: 6,588
Default

Cherub on SNL - perfect distortion wall of sound

that whole machina musique+ set

honorable mention to cash car star

 
Ram27 is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 06:48 PM   #52
FoolofaTook
Immortal
 
FoolofaTook's Avatar
 
Posts: 25,034
Default

The Return of Ram

 
FoolofaTook is offline
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Google


Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
In This Thread I Post Billys Tweets MyOneAndOnly Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion 1194 05-31-2017 06:06 PM
Is music about having fun? morespsoon Pumpkins Archive 19 11-25-2008 08:04 PM
my boobies hurt bardy General Chat Archive 213 04-14-2008 05:00 PM
ZSP77 Wins Panasonic Home Theater System!! zsp77 General Chat Archive 51 12-12-2007 03:43 PM
Wanted: Studio Sessions Information davin Pumpkins Archive 49 06-24-2007 09:37 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:12 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Smashing Pumpkins, Alternative Music
& General Discussion Message Board and Forums
www.netphoria.org - Copyright © 1998-2014