Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > General Chat Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2014, 11:14 PM   #1
Bread Regal
Banned

Default been seriously considering going to church sometime soon.

voluntarily.

Old 04-20-2014, 11:16 PM   #2
slunken
Virgo

What kind of church

Old 04-20-2014, 11:16 PM   #3
Bread Regal
Banned

episcopal

Old 04-20-2014, 11:21 PM   #4
Order 66
Socialphobic

cool

Old 04-20-2014, 11:35 PM   #5
D.
Consume my pants.

Any particular reason behind this consideration?

I went to Easter Vigil last night with B; she only goes on holidays and once or twice a year besides. I usually go to support her xmas and easter; nothing more for this guy.

Old 04-20-2014, 11:44 PM   #6
Bread Regal
Banned

id been reading around about different sects of christianity and they're just about the best one i've come across. i want to attend a service to see what they're all about. flip through their "book of common prayer".

one of their tenets is that many stories of christ's miracles were entirely fabricated. they also don't care if you believe in the resurrection. they acknowledge that jesus died because he pissed off the romans and probably not because he was the lamb of god.

Old 04-20-2014, 11:54 PM   #7
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!

episcopal is like catholic except more chill

Old 04-20-2014, 11:54 PM   #8
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!

I would like to go to a service at a church where they all sing gospel music and dance

Old 04-20-2014, 11:57 PM   #9
Order 66
Socialphobic

i'd think if i wanted to go to a church it'd be unitarian or something. seems like most churches are more about the inner-circle politics rather than anything spiritual

i go to my boss' church sometimes but it's really a social thing and i'm not christian. it's a good way to network, i even dated a girl from there

Old 04-21-2014, 12:29 AM   #10
D.
Consume my pants.

Go with a black friend!! I've considered going with the manager of the bank I guard because she's hella baptist and they get down apparently.

Old 04-21-2014, 12:35 AM   #11
Trotskilicious
Banned

Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.

my friend's mom was episcopal and she is one of the most lovely people in the whole world

i like the quakers the most, myself. "all are equal in the eyes of god" original abolitonists. Just real progressives for their time especially considering how they got started about 1600 i think

Old 04-21-2014, 01:36 AM   #12
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. View Post
Go with a black friend!! I've considered going with the manager of the bank I guard because she's hella baptist and they get down apparently.
I mean I've been to baptist churches... in Louisiana. We sang, but it was pretty tame. Mixed black/white crowd.

Old 04-21-2014, 01:41 AM   #13
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bread Regal View Post
id been reading around about different sects of christianity and they're just about the best one i've come across. i want to attend a service to see what they're all about. flip through their "book of common prayer".

one of their tenets is that many stories of christ's miracles were entirely fabricated. they also don't care if you believe in the resurrection. they acknowledge that jesus died because he pissed off the romans and probably not because he was the lamb of god.
but isn't the whole jesus miracles and resurrection like what christianity basically is?

Old 04-21-2014, 02:37 AM   #14
null123
Minion of Satan

yeah can't you join meetup.com or do yoga or something instead of partaking in liberal christianity? it's really the most embarrassing of all the options.

Old 04-21-2014, 05:47 AM   #15
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

Liberal Christianity is what's left of your faith when you are prepared to accept uncertainty and that most questions will never be answered. It's a tiny and dying group, which is sad. Most of us are ecstatic to see anyone new at a service and never talk about faith stuff because it's considered private unless a person feels a desire to share. We're really secular humanists in a lot of ways, but we've inherited certain rituals, stories, symbols & property from our forebears, and we're trying to reconcile being bound together by the stories, symbolism & rituals of our religion, with the calling of our faith to spread God's Kingdom of equality and love and forgiveness in a world that looks at us and sees a bunch of idiot pedophile daydreamers with nothing to offer except a kind of divine slapstick comedy of errors.

A meetup group has to share some common set of goals and values to fill the same gap as a religion, which is entirely possible - I think Rotary Club is like that?

Obviously as a Christian I pray that you do find the same supportive community and weekly sense of wonder and peace that I get from going to church. Because it's something wonderful enough that I think others would feel good to be a part of it, too. I'd love to hear how you find it all.

Old 04-21-2014, 06:45 AM   #16
Eulogy
huh

Quote:

I don't think this really answers the question though

Old 04-21-2014, 07:46 AM   #17
bignothing
Demi-God

I guess that's cool. I mean, I'd have to be in a specific level of desperate to walk into a church with purposes other than tourism. Back in school we had mandatory masses and I used to like the songs though.

Old 04-21-2014, 08:02 AM   #18
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

Quote:

if there was no resurrection... why follow the religion? The whole point of christianity is that the only path to god is through christ.

are you saying it's simply for the ritual and fellowship?

Old 04-21-2014, 08:06 AM   #19
Bread Regal
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulogy View Post
I don't think this really answers the question though
was someone asking me a question

Old 04-21-2014, 08:11 AM   #20
Bread Regal
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottytheoneand View Post
The whole point of christianity is that the only path to god is through christ.
well you think that because you were raised baptist.

Old 04-21-2014, 08:13 AM   #21
duovamp
Brazilian Blouselord

I've been converted over the past harvest to a pagan/Wiccan subsect that doesn't translate well to a textualized name, but they're pretty cool. I've made a lot of friends and I just think it's the right thing for me. Plus I've been learning some bomb ass spells to use on my foes.

Old 04-21-2014, 08:13 AM   #22
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottytheoneand View Post
if there was no resurrection... why follow the religion? The whole point of christianity is that the only path to god is through christ.

are you saying it's simply for the ritual and fellowship?
...why not? I don't understand why this is so ridiculous. According to what basis is that the whole point of Christianity?

Old 04-21-2014, 08:28 AM   #23
Eulogy
huh

Quote:
was someone asking me a question
D. Asked if something was bringing this on.

Old 04-21-2014, 09:07 AM   #24
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vixnix View Post
...why not? I don't understand why this is so ridiculous. According to what basis is that the whole point of Christianity?
seriously? It's in accordance with 2000 years of reglious dogma, the catholic church, the teachings of every protestant denomination and the christian bible. None of that is possible without the resurrection. It is what sets him appart from being a mere prophet and proves his deification.

Old 04-21-2014, 09:13 AM   #25
Eulogy
huh

I think jb just said he found a Protestant church that doesn't teach that. So I mean.

Old 04-21-2014, 09:14 AM   #26
Eulogy
huh

It does seem kind of weird to me to water it down that much and then still like... Worship and shit or whatever. But different strokes for different folks, as they say.

Old 04-21-2014, 09:19 AM   #27
duovamp
Brazilian Blouselord

I thought the resurrection is THE defining point of Christianity. But fuck it Jesus can't do horcruxes and shit anyway.

Old 04-21-2014, 09:24 AM   #28
Order 66
Socialphobic

one interesting theory i heard was he was indeed resurrected but it was because he was a terminator

Old 04-21-2014, 10:06 AM   #29
Bread Regal
Banned

margin

Old 04-21-2014, 10:07 AM   #30
Bread Regal
Banned

i was going to respond to everyone in this thread but then i had to drop the wife off at work.

there are a few reasons that i want to go. i primarily want to learn more about christianity. it plays such an important (if not central) role in american life that it feels weird to be ignorant of a great deal of it because i was raised atheist basically, and it seems like i'd find a decent sized intersection between theological expertise and impartiality there. i might have tried this earlier, but there are a lot of things that would keep me from being comfortable in a lot of churches. i've been in catholic, evangelical, methodist, baptist, presbyterian, lutheran churches before and i've never felt comfortable in those places, because i felt like i was being judged. perhaps this is more a problem with me than the churches. but the episcopalians and anglicans straight up say that they only criterion for joining them every sunday is that you like joining them every sunday, and that makes me very comfortable with the idea of going there.

it also appears that they are very critical with their scriptural analysis and will readily throw out anything that doesn't make historical sense, and that they reject the idea of a capricious and deceptive god with a fragile ego.

in the past i was really averse to the idea of even into a church. it feels so alien. but i know a lot of people get a lot out of it, even if they have a very casual interpretation of what god is. i just kind of want to experience it firsthand.

so i guess you could say i want to go as a tourist, but if i gain some other fulfillment while doing it would that be so bad?