enthusaroo
Apocalyptic Poster

i would call this top 3 worst Pumpkins' songs of all time. But not #1

Old 06-07-2018, 08:04 PM   #272
Ramdust
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyroes View Post
With a little more effort, I'm sure he'll get to 15 subscribers.

Old 06-07-2018, 08:06 PM   #273
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!

song is absolutely awful

Old 06-07-2018, 08:08 PM   #274
Ramdust
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavementtune View Post
jesus fucking christ, so you guys are too lazy to paste the youtube link that is in the very first post of this thread, and expect that someone is gonna pm you instead.

let me get your nanny to tie your shoes real quick

reading and clicking, how does it work
Neither method works, bro

Old 06-07-2018, 08:10 PM   #275
Ram27
dumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicycle View Post
I don't think it's nearly as bad as some of you are making it out to be. As far as SP2 goes it isn't bad and is about what I expected at this point in time. I'm confused as to why they chose a dropped song from a failed album to be the lead single for the big new "rebranding" though.

I'm intrigued enough to want to hear the other seven songs they recorded but they likely aren't going to hold a candle to anything SP1 (but really, who honestly thought they would?) unless there's another Stellar hidden in there somewhere.
If the remaining 7 are also fucking D-sides from Monuments I'm done

Old 06-07-2018, 08:13 PM   #276
Ram27
dumb

That leak of Envelope Women that's like 8 minutes long, mostly the same riff/transition over and over, Billy bullshitting lyrics and going 'lover yeahhh yeahhh' and yelling out chord changes was more fun to listen to than this

Old 06-07-2018, 08:13 PM   #277
Ram27
dumb

drums sound better too

Old 06-07-2018, 08:14 PM   #278
russticles
Demi-God

Has anyone listened to this with headphones? I feel like I can hear sound artefacts (glitching/noise/slight distortion??) on the vocals.

The drum production is weird (for Jimmy especially) since his playing is quite busy it's not leaving enough "air" or dynamic in his playing. The snare is way too dry, especially the flamming going into the second verse... so jarring/shitty sounding. God dammit Rubin!

I don't think the song is tooooo bad, but yeah defs feels like a ZG era song. I like Jimmy's playing in the chorus, feels like he's trying to lift it and take it somewhere... but the chorus is too mediocre to go elsewhere.

Old 06-07-2018, 08:15 PM   #279
Big Truck05
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by slunken View Post
::

With all the lyrics about the sun, its as if this is an alternate universe where the first "reunion" with Tarantula leading it off never happened and instead this happened.
good point!

Old 06-07-2018, 08:18 PM   #280
myosis
Minion of Satan

yep it sounds like zeitgeist 2

Old 06-07-2018, 08:19 PM   #281
enthusaroo
Apocalyptic Poster

I feel like Solara is the kind of song that would play during a commercial break on Alex Jones' show

maybe it was actually made with that in mind?

all the trumptards would likely be into it

Old 06-07-2018, 08:22 PM   #282
pavementtune

Location: I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by russticles View Post
Has anyone listened to this with headphones? I feel like I can hear sound artefacts (glitching/noise/slight distortion??) on the vocals.
might be my screwed up hearing, but in the first 30 seconds of the track, it sounds like a shadow vocal being dragged along with it (don't know how to describe it better)

like the vocals had a slight stroke

Old 06-07-2018, 08:31 PM   #283
The machine of god
Pledge

This song is absolute garbage. Nothing redeeming in any way shape or form.

What the fuck were they thinking?

Old 06-07-2018, 08:34 PM   #284
Big Truck05
Apocalyptic Poster

I haven't heard a good quality recording, yet. However, what I did hear earlier this morning wasn't what I thought I was going to hear when anticipating this song's release. Ugh...

Old 06-07-2018, 08:37 PM   #285
gyang333
Pledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Truck05 View Post
I haven't heard a good quality recording, yet. However, what I did hear earlier this morning wasn't what I thought I was going to hear when anticipating this song's release. Ugh...
Yeah I agree. I was thinking it would be more Siamese Dream or MCIS in sound now with James back. But unfortunately it's just more of the Oceania-MTAE-> stream of songwriting.

Old 06-07-2018, 08:38 PM   #286
lionheart0
Demi-God

I listened with headphones and there is more going on underneath the loud guitars up front. I really hope that isn’t the final mix. That other stuff needs to be brought forward. Not saying it would save the song, though.

Old 06-07-2018, 08:40 PM   #287
Big Truck05
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyang333 View Post
Yeah I agree. I was thinking it would be more Siamese Dream or MCIS in sound now with James back. But unfortunately it's just more of the Oceania-MTAE-> stream of songwriting.
I would have been happy with any Oceania track basically with James and Jimmy. What's the go to tech company PR term nowadays... "We missed the mark."!

Old 06-07-2018, 08:42 PM   #288
Big Truck05
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionheart0 View Post
I listened with headphones and there is more going on underneath the loud guitars up front. I really hope that isn’t the final mix. That other stuff needs to be brought forward. Not saying it would save the song, though.
That's what I heard. It sounded like a super rough mix. Almost like the band was just playing and there was no board/ mixing console involved. IDK. Fingers crossed this is a total hoax and it was recorded 4 years ago! lol

Old 06-07-2018, 08:45 PM   #289
SomaPhreak
Ownz

Post Sux

Solara is laughably bad. Mediocre songs like FOL or Freak sound good by comparison. It's amazing that anyone involved considered that worthy of release. Just stop, guys. You're embarrassing yourselves.

Old 06-07-2018, 08:51 PM   #290
fuzzyroes
Banned

Just got a high quality download....

Damn man... I was expecting something better than this. Billy can't sing for shit anymore. It's really off-putting. One and All is a wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy better song, and Billys vocals are actually good in that song. I can't believe Rubin fucked up the production so badly.

On the bright side, Jimmy absolutely slays. But it's just such a badly written song. Awful melodies, no melodic interplay, no interesting guitar parts. I figured with 3 guitarists that they'd really focus more on that aspect of the new music. How are these 3 gonna play it live? Just all play the same riff?

I was REALLY looking forward to this, and I really wanna like it, but it's just not very good.

Old 06-07-2018, 09:01 PM   #291
WeilandFan
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forgotten Child View Post
I think Butt Cannon should send Solara to Darcy and ask her to write a review about it.
Contrary to what people think, I'm not a shit stirrer in that regard. The only Pumpkins thing I've ever sent her is the NYT interview since she was in it. If she hears it though and would like to write a review, I'm definitely open to posting it!

Old 06-07-2018, 09:08 PM   #292
BurtSampson
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeilandFan View Post
Contrary to what people think, I'm not a shit stirrer in that regard. The only Pumpkins thing I've ever sent her is the NYT interview since she was in it. If she hears it though and would like to write a review, I'm definitely open to posting it!
I bet you are you fucking stooge.

Old 06-07-2018, 09:11 PM   #293
Funbags
Apocalyptic Poster

Song blows. Sorry Billy.

Old 06-07-2018, 09:15 PM   #294
Butt Pope
Apocalyptic Poster

Can we expect better when Billy rolls into the studios for 2-3 weeks and spends as much time posting to Instagram as he does recording? Back in the day he locked his ass in the studio for months. Jimmy was right that they’d never record Mellon Collie today.

Old 06-07-2018, 09:38 PM   #295
slayed23
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyroes View Post
LOL, that guy's video has 7 likes and 27 dislikes. That might be the worst ratio I have ever seen.

Old 06-07-2018, 09:39 PM   #296
slayed23
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavementtune View Post
oh come on, not even close. (sarcasm? I never catch that on here.)

may I remind you of a thing called TEARGARDEN widow shoot my astral ears out?

it's not good, no, but Bully is capable of far more sonicly offensive tracks than this one.
Astral Planes is their worst song IMO.

Old 06-07-2018, 09:40 PM   #297
byoung88
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluxequalsrad View Post
Still not done dissecting this.

Back in the day, Billy could have a big shitty knuckle dragging riff like the one in Where Boys Fear to Tread, the song would have a ton of snarl - but still there was enough sugar to wash it down. (I.E. the subtle girly backup vocals, the 'doo-doo-doo-dooos'). The groove is also heavy as fuck and ripe with sonic details that keep you coming back.

Now, its like the blueprint is shitty radio beer rock your uncle likes. There is also a clear lack of playful engagement with sonic texture or details that make for a lasting recording. Just pick any track on MCIS and there is something to chew on. (I.E. What is that weird buried slide guitar in 33? What are those backing harmonies in 1979 doing? What are they saying during the bridge of Bodies?). It's so fucking dry and seperate now that you wonder if he just plugged the guitar/piano into garageband and didn't touch a thing. Billy did well by adding postcards in his older songs, like the cop car in Starla, or any number of flourishes he gushed about in liner notes.

Solara. People who like metal won't like it, and the rest of us who appreciated the delicate balance they struck between metal and pop-rock (without an ounce of punk) also won't like it. I have no idea what they are going for.
Exactly. It’s bland as hell. The thing that was special about the pumpkins was how different they sounded sonically. This is weak and has no flavor.

Old 06-07-2018, 09:44 PM   #298
fuzzyroes
Banned

I think it's just a cash-grab type of thing they whipped up in order to have something "new" out before the tour. Like Pave said, the tour is the money maker and it's all about the nostalgia factor anyways.

I was still thinking that with all the hype that they'd have something pretty cool to offer, but honestly, I doubt Iha even played on this track or if he did, he may have just played that little lead part near the end.

Old 06-07-2018, 09:46 PM   #299
enthusaroo
Apocalyptic Poster

Man, I hadn't listened to Oceania in a few years.. but out of curiousity for comparison.. I just put on Panopticon and it sounds way better than this steaming pile of Solara crap.

p.s: I didn't even like Oceania

Old 06-07-2018, 09:46 PM   #300
jm9843
Ownz

If the idea was to dredge up an old "rocker" to promote the tour with minimum effort expended, why not go back to one of the actually good Zwan songs that was deemed "too Pumpkiny" at the time? (e.g. Chrysanthemum or Glorious). Is it a tacit acknowledgment that b0lly doesn't want to mail it in with quality unreleased material? He's got to, on some level, understand that those songs are 100x better than Solara.