Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List

Old 02-27-2008, 01:02 AM   #151
byebyejune
Pledge

sweet jam session.

Old 02-27-2008, 01:04 AM   #152
paranoid
Minion of Satan

definately weird.. and dark.. id rather sp be weird than all symbolic and shit.

as far as video appearance im also glad they are wearing normal fucking clothing for once.

Old 02-27-2008, 01:04 AM   #153
slowdawn
Pledge

He should have kept the screams towards the end from the AOL Session...those rocked.

Old 02-27-2008, 01:04 AM   #154
slunken
Virgo

I love the old fashioned DIY basement quality of the video. The cheap strobes. The oversized tie-dye. The nurses. The bad violin overdub. The Sasha Grey. Tambourine Guy needed to be turned UP.

edit: when can we stop calling this a "video?"

Last edited by slunken : 02-27-2008 at 01:10 AM.

Old 02-27-2008, 01:07 AM   #155
paranoid
Minion of Satan

the recording sounds good.. sounds like how sp should be produced when they do they heavy stuff.

Old 02-27-2008, 01:07 AM   #156
dustrock
debunked!

Location: Part-alien, part-human, part-robot, part-star-crossed lover and part-mercury filled

that was fucking amazing. Not quite as funny as the Tarantula video, but still hilarious.

Were Ginger, Jeff and Lisa in the video at all? This does not bode well for them being "permanent" SP members.

I have to say I'm fairly impressed with the final product, minus the quiet bass problem. I liked the violin part, and just like the soft part in Tarantula, it should have been twice as long.

Overall, the production was great and Jimmy's drumming was incredible. I don't think I could have the hi-hat going that fast for more than 5 seconds.

On first listen, I like it more than United States, although it could have used more singing.

Old 02-27-2008, 01:08 AM   #157
JRiordan
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoid View Post
the recording sounds good.. sounds like how sp should be produced when they do they heavy stuff.
:: drools for the Guitar Center CD ::

Old 02-27-2008, 01:09 AM   #158
dustrock
debunked!

Location: Part-alien, part-human, part-robot, part-star-crossed lover and part-mercury filled

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowdawn View Post
He should have kept the screams towards the end from the AOL Session...those rocked.
yeah, the screams were fun.

Old 02-27-2008, 01:09 AM   #159
MonteLDS
*sigh*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulogy View Post
both of those videos are awesome.
amen to that!

Old 02-27-2008, 01:10 AM   #160
davin
Physiopathic Paralysis

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by runnersdialzero View Post
SP are embarassing to be a fan of because of billy's attitude/ego/outlook.
dude, you need to learn to seperate the art from the artist.

srsly, who gives a fuck if the music is good. i mean, some of the most eccentric pricks in history made some really good music....but led pretty questionable personal lives. lennon, beethoven, mozart, elvis...to name a few.

so i don't see how some lame quotes or outfits can make you "embarrassed" to enjoy one of the most musically skilled and diverse bands in existance. please explain this to me. or better yet, don't bother...just educate the ppl around you.

Old 02-27-2008, 01:11 AM   #161
Starla

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_adore_adore View Post
You haven't even heard the studio version of this song yet...
No, I haven't. And I should probably give it a chance. If it's anything that sounds like what's on Z, I'm not going to like it that much. The only thing that saves some of the songs is Jimmy's drumming. The rest is worthless. Billy has whored himself out to the degree that it's nauseating, then writes arrogant self righteous little blogs for his fans lol
He uses under talented musicians and directors. It's only his music career. Oh well. That's the feeling I get from Corgan. One big...fuck you. If you don't like it, you're basically one of the people who are living in darkness. I'm a bit fed up with his pompous pretentious bullshit. It's tainted the music to the point where it's hard to even enjoy it. If he would just drop the bs and play real music again....and stop preaching, let the music speak for itself, then I might be a fan again.

Old 02-27-2008, 01:11 AM   #162
ChaosEffect
Apocalyptic Poster

Man I wish I still had that picture of the dinosaur and the fruit with the WTF R u doin on it right now. Could someone post that for this thread cause thats what came to mind with the video. The song live is quite meh. The studio version is actually alright. Hmmm I guess whoever said Billys work in studio sucks but is good live and sucks live and is good studio was right.

Old 02-27-2008, 01:11 AM   #163
paranoid
Minion of Satan

im not concerned with jeff an ginger becoming ''permanent'' sp members. id rather have billy playing the bass and guitar parts for the recordings, just like he did with sp 1. jeff and ginger suck, to be honest.

this tune needs a rippin guitar solo.

Old 02-27-2008, 01:11 AM   #164
davin
Physiopathic Paralysis

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowdawn View Post
yes, another thought i had!

i mean, the screams on aol sessions were weak compared to the ones on tour last year, but still, at least there were sceams.

Old 02-27-2008, 01:17 AM   #165
davin
Physiopathic Paralysis

Quote:
jeff and ginger suck, to be honest.
woah, woah...slow down. i wouldn't go as far as to say they suck, since musical skill wise they are actually very talented.

jeff hasn't caught up to james quite yet........but i think ginger is the best bassist SP has ever had. She's like a more confident/articulate version of darcy, without the balls-out twang/slap stylings of melissa. she does however, lack the dreamy darcy vocals...

Old 02-27-2008, 01:19 AM   #166
MonteLDS
*sigh*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floppy Nono View Post
http://hipstersunited.com/blog/

seriously, why can't you just post the guy the link?
because they are snobs.

anyways i hate the video more than all the zwan videos and tarantula combined..

Old 02-27-2008, 01:21 AM   #167
davin
Physiopathic Paralysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by To Starla View Post
No, I haven't. And I should probably give it a chance. If it's anything that sounds like what's on Z, I'm not going to like it that much. The only thing that saves some of the songs is Jimmy's drumming. The rest is worthless. Billy has whored himself out to the degree that it's nauseating, then writes arrogant self righteous little blogs for his fans lol
He uses under talented musicians and directors. It's only his music career. Oh well. That's the feeling I get from Corgan. One big...fuck you. If you don't like it, you're basically one of the people who are living in darkness. I'm a bit fed up with his pompous pretentious bullshit. It's tainted the music to the point where it's hard to even enjoy it. If he would just drop the bs and play real music again....and stop preaching, let the music speak for itself, then I might be a fan again.
read post 160.

Old 02-27-2008, 01:23 AM   #168
dustrock
debunked!

actually, I'm kinda surprised there isn't a guitar solo in this song, god knows it would have helped change up the riffing...

Old 02-27-2008, 01:26 AM   #169
paranoid
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by davin View Post
woah, woah...slow down. i wouldn't go as far as to say they suck, since musical skill wise they are actually very talented.

jeff hasn't caught up to james quite yet........but i think ginger is the best bassist SP has ever had. She's like a more confident/articulate version of darcy, without the balls-out twang/slap stylings of melissa. she does however, lack the dreamy darcy vocals...
imo, she's the worst bass player the group has had.

Nothing will ever beat the original, darcy. sorry.. she may not have been a technically outstanding musician, but she was a presence that made that band what it was. Ginger can play technically as well as her, but on a musical she just seems to be playing the parts, there's no energy coming out of her at all.

melissa, though her tone sucked, loved the band and it's music and seemed to be completely into filling darcy's shoes. she was a perfect replacement at that time.

jeff is just as lame as ginger. another playing the parts musician who doesnt have the same energy that made the original sp so.. VIOLENT.

sorry man. i tried to accept them at first, but it just didnt pan out. ill watch old sp concert videos and just notice the difference.. darcy and james cant be replaced, period.

Old 02-27-2008, 01:29 AM   #170
runnersdialzero
Ownz

Quote:
dude, you need to learn to seperate the art from the artist.

srsly, who gives a fuck if the music is good. i mean, some of the most eccentric pricks in history made some really good music....but led pretty questionable personal lives. lennon, beethoven, mozart, elvis...to name a few.

so i don't see how some lame quotes or outfits can make you "embarrassed" to enjoy one of the most musically skilled and diverse bands in existance. please explain this to me. or better yet, don't bother...just educate the ppl around you.
Next to the way it sounds, authenticity it the most important thing in music for me. I believe that Billy was authentic back in the 90's, but as usual he got too big for his britches and the music suffered... i think anyone here would agree. I have to relate, hence why i love the band so much (pre machina). These days, bands like MIA, Caribou or Will Oldham are examples of people producing sincere music.

No matter what Billy likes to think and say, he has very little influence on teh zeitgeist... there are so many awesome new bands that school new SP tracks... i was just at crystal castles/health last night and i kept thinking how awesome it was to see bands so into it. the energy is almost as good as the song. if you disagree, then you are saying you don't like bands like the VU, who couldn't really produce a single or in some of their most exciting cases, (european son) produce a melody, but it didn't matter because you bought into the concept. Watching B0lly frown on stage and tell people to go buy their album NOT DOWNLOAD IT, discredits them.

In any case, there must be some miscommunication because i am digging this track and think that its pointing the band in a good direction (though American Gothic is still too fresh in my brain)

Old 02-27-2008, 01:34 AM   #171
Starla

Thumbs down

Quote:
read post 160.
Your perception does not apply to my thoughts about the direction billy has taken his music and the people he chooses to work with. If you enjoy it, and find it fascinating, then good for you Davin. Just because you like it doesn't mean I'm wrong.

I just watched the video. It's trash. Plain and simple. And I don't care if it's tongue in cheek. Billy acts like he doesn't give a fuck anymore and this proves it. He puts half assed crap out and you want to call it art? I didn't spend years in film school to praise this kind of shit and pretend it's good because it's SP.

Old 02-27-2008, 01:37 AM   #172
Starla

Quote:
imo, she's the worst bass player the group has had.

Nothing will ever beat the original, darcy. sorry.. she may not have been a technically outstanding musician, but she was a presence that made that band what it was. Ginger can play technically as well as her, but on a musical she just seems to be playing the parts, there's no energy coming out of her at all.

melissa, though her tone sucked, loved the band and it's music and seemed to be completely into filling darcy's shoes. she was a perfect replacement at that time.

jeff is just as lame as ginger. another playing the parts musician who doesnt have the same energy that made the original sp so.. VIOLENT.

sorry man. i tried to accept them at first, but it just didnt pan out. ill watch old sp concert videos and just notice the difference.. darcy and james cant be replaced, period.
Finally. Someone with some fucking sense around here.

Old 02-27-2008, 01:39 AM   #173
skipgo
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by duovamp View Post
They can't ever make another long groovin' jam without it being Silverfuck? Well silverfuck you guys.
nah, it actually just sounds like silverfuck to me. not because of the "jam" thing, but the guitar riff/tones/structure.

Old 02-27-2008, 01:39 AM   #174
Corganist
Minion of Satan

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'maskingforit! View Post
some of you guys are really taking this pretty seriously.

stop it.
It's like there's people here who don't realize that once upon a time the Pumpkins carried themselves with a little sense of humor now and then. I mean, really now, being pissed off that the video featured the old hippies so prominently is like being pissed off that the Geek USA performance on the Greatest Hits DVD featured clowns so prominently. God forbid this band get back to the days where everything didn't have to be so arty and serious all the time.

And seriously, if the last minute or so of the song didn't make everyone's spine tingle just a little bit, then I don't know what to say.

Old 02-27-2008, 01:40 AM   #175
dustrock
debunked!

Quote:
Originally Posted by To Starla View Post
Your perception does not apply to my thoughts about the direction billy has taken his music and the people he chooses to work with. If you enjoy it, and find it fascinating, then good for you Davin. Just because you like it doesn't mean I'm wrong.

I just watched the video. It's trash. Plain and simple. And I don't care if it's tongue in cheek. Billy acts like he doesn't give a fuck anymore and this proves it. He puts half assed crap out and you want to call it art? I didn't spend years in film school to praise this kind of shit and pretend it's good because it's SP.
Does it make a difference to you that it's a Guitar Center track and not an official album track? It honestly does to me. I think this is for the "hardcore" fans and Billy's not trying to make a statement.

Hmm....maybe the old hippies are to symbolize that Billy is becoming an old hippy?

Old 02-27-2008, 01:42 AM   #176
skipgo
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm9843 View Post
You don't know what you are talking about.

Shouldn't you be listening to a Tricky album or something? Girl Talk maybe?
hey guess what? people are allowed to have opinions that differ from yours! Crazy, innit?

Old 02-27-2008, 01:42 AM   #177
SP MediaMilitia
Pledge

damn myspace! It was set to private. Oh well.

Old 02-27-2008, 01:43 AM   #178
skipgo
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corganist View Post
It's like there's people here who don't realize that once upon a time the Pumpkins carried themselves with a little sense of humor now and then. I mean, really now, being pissed off that the video featured the old hippies so prominently is like being pissed off that the Geek USA performance on the Greatest Hits DVD featured clowns so prominently. God forbid this band get back to the days where everything didn't have to be so arty and serious all the time.

And seriously, if the last minute or so of the song didn't make everyone's spine tingle just a little bit, then I don't know what to say.

now that you mention it, I AM a little pissed about those clowns.

Old 02-27-2008, 01:43 AM   #179
Cherub Angel
Apocalyptic Poster

Weird, lo-fi, David Lynch-esque splatter of something. Some would say crap, some would say art. Like much of what SP does, it was irksome and strange.

Old 02-27-2008, 01:43 AM   #180
jjbjjbjjb
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonteLDS View Post
because they are snobs.
You know, six months ago, at least I could say that Netphoria was still a place where people enjoyed jerking each other around. But now the wimps are running the show.