Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-17-2012, 07:55 PM   #11
tweedyburd
Ownz

Arrow

I understand why a lot of people may not care to see it now, after all this time, and all the various things Billy has done to tarnish the legacy these past 12 years. But to me it's just a fascinating time capsule that I'd like to re-live, especially if it's loaded up with extras like all the fan-related events.

I may feel differently if I weren't there, or if I didn't get into the club on that final night under such unlikely circumstances, but I can't be sure. There's a lot of sentimentality tied up in that week of flying to Chicago, meeting lots of new people, going to weird parties (the Lab), late night sing-a-longs taking over entire hotel floors. Hey, I was 20 years old, ya know? That shit meant something, and still does in my memory. That show signified the death of the band we grew up with and for many of us the death of our youths, so yeah, why wouldn't I want to relive such a transitional, transformational phase of life?

Billy can call his current band whatever he wants but to me Smashing Pumpkins played their last show on December 2, 2000. Billy fucking around with various projects and incarnations since in no way dulls the emotional interest for me in seeing that show again, because for me, that really was their last show. It really was the "last gasp" of what the band was, and in a way that's proven to be prophetic because even if you didn't like Machina, at least that show and everything leading up to it encapsulated the energy and direction of that moment in a way that felt like a real bookend to what the band was.

Zeitgeist was a total failure but at least it consciously rid itself of those old clothes, so there was no confusion for me in seeing that Billy's band in 2007 wasn't anything like Smashing Pumpkins. The muse just wasn't there, because it died in 2000.

Oh, and just because some of us want to finally see this show doesn't mean we didn't move on or listen to new music over the past decade. I'd only been to a handful of shows, too, at that point in my life, and now after seeing countless others since, that show still holds my attention in memory. It's just a personal thing, I guess. I get it if others don't feel the same.