themadcaplaughs
Apocalyptic Poster

Margin

Old 06-19-2014, 06:28 PM   #62
themadcaplaughs
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottytheoneand View Post
i can't imagine the hell his editor is going through.

look at his live journal and imagine that someone trying to clean that up for publication.
The thought of Billy Corgan going through the editing process is a hysterical one. Both popular authors like Stephen King and James Patterson and more "literary" authors have all complained about the brutality of the editing process and how it makes one wish he'd never written a word at all.

There was someone on the O-Board (I believe) who mentioned they were charged with proofreading Billy's posts on Everything From Here To There, and that his predecessor (the guy who proofread all of Billy's blog posts on the old Web site) and the guy before him both quit the job in rage because of how pissy Corgan got at even the slightest edit. Apparently when they'd try to edit things like Billy using an ellipses instead of a period, or using some purposefully "artful" spelling of a common word (like spelling oranges "oranjes") he'd freak. The guy on the oboard said he eventually realized the best way to "edit" Billy's writing was to do nothing at all.

So, no sane publishing company is going to release a book written in the style Corgan writes, and will probably completely overhaul his language before publishing it. If Billy hasn't already signed a contract saying they can do whatever they want to his book, he'll refuse to hand over a final copy and the book will never get released. If it does, I am willing to bet we'll hear all about how he is not happy with it.

Old 06-19-2014, 07:27 PM   #63
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

Well fuck. If someone posted that on the o board it must be true

Old 06-19-2014, 07:30 PM   #64
juliana
Apocalyptic Poster

It's true. The source is legit.

Old 06-20-2014, 03:42 AM   #65
Shallowed
Braindead

It's totally clear that Monte should be the editor

Old 06-20-2014, 08:35 AM   #66
juliana
Apocalyptic Poster

If Monte was editor, more would buy the book. The book cover should have a sticker that states "now with 50% more monte"

Old 06-20-2014, 09:02 AM   #67
Cool As Ice Cream
Just Hook it to My Veins!

*monty

Old 06-20-2014, 09:02 AM   #68
Cool As Ice Cream
Just Hook it to My Veins!

learn how to right, pepole!

Old 06-20-2014, 09:39 AM   #69
Trotskilicious
Banned

Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottytheoneand View Post
i can't imagine the hell his editor is going through.

look at his live journal and imagine that someone trying to clean that up for publication.
it's one constant instance of

Old 08-15-2014, 03:30 PM   #70
pavementtune

Location: I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.

Quote:
C: In the spirit of over explaining, how is your memoir coming along?

Today is fortuitous, I’m at the half-way point today. I think I’m currently at 265,000 words. As a writer, you’ll understand what that means.
Yeah, it’s my whole life and it’s kind of told like a dream. I start from the assumption that nothing is real, that memory is flawed, and that life is a dream so it’s represented as such. It’s not written in dream language, it’s only represented as I’m going from whatever I recall processed through whatever version of myself I was in at the time. So in that way it’s fiction. It’s broken into four sections and it’s not written linearly, so it’s like chunks of time zero to four, that’s one section. So of everything I want to talk about I’m halfway done. As you can imagine that’s 265,000 words at halfway, that’s unedited. At the end of the day when you edit it down the book is going to be somewhere near half a million words. It’s just insane.

C: Going back to your memoir, what has the process of reflecting on your past experiences been like? Pinpointing the pivotal and trivial moments.

Honestly it’s been really hard on me. I won’t lie about that. Ultimately it’s very easy to write a book that says, “Hey you, you did this and then this happened.” It’s another thing to write a book that has to do with accountability. I would say that 90% of the bad things that have happened to me in my life are my fault, or my responsibility, or I didn’t have enough courage or strength to walk out of the room when bad thing number 800 was happening. In fact, I was writing about something like that today.

I’m trying to write a spiritual book, and if you’re going to be spiritual you have to be accountable. To be accountable means you have to be willing to look at yourself in a way that’s usually fairly uncomfortable.

It’s very easy for me to now talk about the ‘90s within the context of my ambition, which was limitless. Of course I could go into the psychology of what fed my ambition, which was a very Pollyanna childish belief that if I was famous I would stop feeling so bad about myself or something. In essence, fame was going to solve my problems. Of course I got fame, realized it wasn’t going to solve my problems and then I went really crazy, which is well documented. That’s easy for me to talk about now because I’ve had time to reflect on that process and I’ve had to reflect on that process in order to have Smashing Pumpkins in 2014, and not be a victim, and not moan about the old days which is unattractive. Then there’s all sorts of things in my life that nobody knows anything about, particularly when it comes to all sorts of excesses. In order to put all the other things in context I have to talk about those things, and of course that gets into a lot of territory that’s very in the shadows.
http://chicagoist.com/2014/08/15/int...lly_corgan.php

Old 08-15-2014, 05:39 PM   #71
workingdogv1
Pledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavementtune View Post
Sooo. a 530,000 word memoir?

To put that in perspective, the English translation of War and Peace is around ~561,00 words.

Even broken out into five volumes, godspeed on selling that one. Nothing is impossible in publishing these days, but that's one hell of a mountain to climb.

Old 08-15-2014, 05:49 PM   #72
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavementtune View Post
This is going to be a phenomenal book.

Old 08-15-2014, 05:50 PM   #73
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
I’m trying to write a spiritual book, and if you’re going to be spiritual you have to be accountable. To be accountable means you have to be willing to look at yourself in a way that’s usually fairly uncomfortable.

In essence, fame was going to solve my problems. Of course I got fame, realized it wasn’t going to solve my problems and then I went really crazy, which is well documented.

Then there’s all sorts of things in my life that nobody knows anything about, particularly when it comes to all sorts of excesses.
fuck yes

Old 08-15-2014, 06:07 PM   #74
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

nice. tell us how much blow you did and how many fanboys you fucked

Old 08-15-2014, 08:47 PM   #75
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
It’s not written in dream language, it’s only represented as I’m going from whatever I recall processed through whatever version of myself I was in at the time.
its the only explanation i can think of.

Old 08-15-2014, 08:48 PM   #76
slunken
Virgo

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/b...ps6e421ae2.jpg

just something to think about

Old 08-15-2014, 09:16 PM   #77
Shallowed
Braindead

The most interesting thing there to me is how he said that 90% of the bad things that happened in his life were his fault. It's definitely not like him to say something like that.

Half a million words is stupidly ridiculous, but this is the guy that fumbles with ancient wall-to-wall synthesisers for eight hours in his tea shop. It wouldn't just wouldn't be right if he didn't approach this by taking his self-indulgence to the nth degree.