Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08-11-2014, 11:38 AM   #61
VoxUpDoc
Apocalyptic Poster

I like it.

But it's not what I was expecting at all. I feel like there's a version inbetween this and the M2 version that's definitive. They never quite nailed this one in the studio - at least we have that live version.

Hopefully when Machina gets scrubbed-up for reissue they'll improve the mix/master of the M2 one.

Still, this was interesting though for sure, and cool of them to just drop it rather than hyping up.

This version definitely wouldn't have fit on Adore. I dig the fills and strings, though.

I think the problem with the song overall is that it has an incredible first verse and chorus, up there with the classics. But then it repeats itself and the bridge is ok, but it doesn't have any momentum. The last 30 seconds are definitely problematic. Less so on the Machina version but there are elements of both I like. Overall: cool, cool.

Last edited by VoxUpDoc : 08-11-2014 at 11:47 AM.

Old 08-11-2014, 11:41 AM   #62
magikarp99
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom View Post
Well... ever hear Californication? Sure, it was released in 1999 but close damn enough. Everything Rubin touches is pretty brickwalled.
Well... ever hear Adore? That wasn't brickwalled like this.

Old 08-11-2014, 11:46 AM   #63
Venom
Ownz

Adore wasn't produced by Rubin. This was.

Old 08-11-2014, 11:50 AM   #64
davin
Physiopathic Paralysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by killtrocity View Post
This doesn't bode well for the adore "remasters". Why the fuck is this >90% clipped?
yes, this definitely seems to have been bastardized by the 2014 mixing porocess...tainted by revisionist history (love that phrasing AveryLoren)....mixed to SOUND LOUD AT ANY VOLUME etc....which is quite disappointing.

i'm not too worried about the other adore reissue tracks tho. i think with all the fan expectations around this track, BC just got into his own head too much as usual, and fucked with the track too much...like every other time there's massive expectations at stake. see: machina & zeitgeist i mean, shit...just the fact that he used it on what is effectively a commercial for the new reissue proves that.

guess we'll have to keep trying to get mike garson to leak the actual actual actual demo. *sigh*

Old 08-11-2014, 11:52 AM   #65
davin
Physiopathic Paralysis

also....this.....

http://static.wixstatic.com/media/e5...0_0.00_jpg_srz

Old 08-11-2014, 11:54 AM   #66
Spaceboy88
Apocalyptic Poster

Perhaps judging the clipping off of a YouTube rip is a bit premature. I'm holding onto hope that the actual release is properly mastered and normalized.

Old 08-11-2014, 11:56 AM   #67
VoxUpDoc
Apocalyptic Poster

So... "release the adore version of 'let me give the world to you', Billy" becomes...

"release the M2 version of 'let me give the world to you' sans white noise, Billy".

Old 08-11-2014, 11:56 AM   #68
Venom
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceboy88 View Post
Perhaps judging the clipping off of a YouTube rip is a bit premature. I'm holding onto hope that the actual release is properly mastered and normalized.
Pretty sure it's warranted. And I HIGHLY doubt it's properly mastered.

Old 08-11-2014, 11:57 AM   #69
VoxUpDoc
Apocalyptic Poster

Has anyone compared the full version to the short audio excerpt on that video clip that leaked years ago?

Old 08-11-2014, 11:58 AM   #70
melonhead87
Amish Rake Fighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by panda show View Post
to be honest, after listening to this version, I feel sort of weird. it doesn't sound like I imagined it.. I expected it to sound more like the live '98 version, with more guitars and more rushing drums.. and the outro is definitely not what I expected.. I expected more of a grandiose outro (like in the live version) than the mellow one here, which sounds kind of lame.

oh yeah, and the drum fills during the chorus are definitely out of place. they don't suit the chorus at all..

I think it doesn't live up to the hype that was made around it. sure it could've been a successful single that could've increased the sales of adore, but it's definitely no number 1 hot single.
Im glad Im not the only one that thought the drum fills during the chorus were out of place. At first I thought it was me being picky. Way too slow plodding along, especially the outro. Also didnt like how he immediately starts singing the next verse after the chorus, almost same breath.

Old 08-11-2014, 11:58 AM   #71
GLOWer
Demi-God

rubin is famous for privileging the vocals in a mix over everything else and brick walling. that doesn't mean that it wasn't tampered with in 2014, but this could be authentically 98.

i much prefer the machina 2 cut.

Old 08-11-2014, 12:01 PM   #72
aeroplume
Demi-God

all this talk about brick walling is great. i mean adore is the 6th reissue and for some reason everyone thinks it wont be brick walled. yet it will be just like the other 5. its 2014, it is what it is.

LMGTWTY is pretty cool. at least it actually came out

Old 08-11-2014, 12:03 PM   #73
paranoid
Minion of Satan

This is beautiful and would have been just fine on adore. Remove Annie dog or any of the other so so songs and put this in its place.

Also once in a whole deserved more than bside status

Old 08-11-2014, 12:04 PM   #74
davin
Physiopathic Paralysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody View Post
Has anyone compared the full version to the short audio excerpt on that video clip that leaked years ago?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QC2f...utu.be&t=3m25s

sounds the same; loud vocals and all.

Old 08-11-2014, 12:05 PM   #75
bye june
Ownz

I thought the Pisces bonus disc was the only thing fucked up so far.

Old 08-11-2014, 12:06 PM   #76
aeroplume
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody View Post
the sound was coming out of a pair of headphones, literally, and it was filmed. the audio wasnt exactly great. ok, this is what i want you to do. you ready?

ok. record the audio from your headphones from 5 feet away. then compare it with the digital file and see how it matches up.

let us know.

Old 08-11-2014, 12:10 PM   #77
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster

Any chance of a leaking of the original one so we could compare the both of them? :P

Old 08-11-2014, 12:11 PM   #78
Zerospaced
Apocalyptic Poster

This is one of my favorite SP songs, so it's great to finally hear it. It sounds fantastic IMO.

Old 08-11-2014, 12:12 PM   #79
themadcaplaughs
Apocalyptic Poster

Much like the performance of "Towers of Rabble" that was included with the Mellon Collie re issue, I am glad to have it and it is a fun little curio. Other than that, years of hype has destroyed any chance of listening to this with fair ears.

Old 08-11-2014, 12:17 PM   #80
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

It's a shame that they brickwalled it >>> DR5

Old 08-11-2014, 12:21 PM   #81
workingdogv1
Pledge

I agree with Woody in that this song just never got nailed down definitively in the studio for one reason or another. After a couple of listens this version is growing on me (the drum fills became less annoying after a few plays), though that outro...

Never thought it was the greatest Pumpkins song in the first place, but it's cool to hear this and I appreciate the impromptu drop. More than anything, this solidifies my belief that it really did belong on Machina more than Adore.

Old 08-11-2014, 12:23 PM   #82
panda show
Ownz

even if I ignore the fact that it's brickwalled, I just can't quite begin to like this version, mostly because of the outro..

Old 08-11-2014, 12:28 PM   #83
Ram27
dumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by themadcaplaughs View Post
Much like the performance of "Towers of Rabble" that was included with the Mellon Collie re issue, I am glad to have it and it is a fun little curio. Other than that, years of hype has destroyed any chance of listening to this with fair ears.
Why were people hyping up Towers of Rabble? Hasn't the Double Door recording been out for a while? Or was everyone hoping for a studio version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingdogv1 View Post
I agree with Woody in that this song just never got nailed down definitively in the studio for one reason or another. After a couple of listens this version is growing on me (the drum fills became less annoying after a few plays), though that outro...
The very first fill pisses me off, at 42 where he randomly hits a tom. Are we totally sure Mike Burns didn't rerecord this?

Old 08-11-2014, 12:33 PM   #84
panda show
Ownz

did anyone else notice "world PREMIER" in the picture

monty, was that you?

Old 08-11-2014, 12:34 PM   #85
chucklescrotum
Banned

Looks like the real, original 1999 version will stay stuck in the vaults forever...

unless ARMS OF SHEEP decides to leak it.

Old 08-11-2014, 12:43 PM   #86
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

Old 08-11-2014, 12:45 PM   #87
Ram27
dumb

Even the live version just kind of drones on. It doesn't need to be 7 minutes long.

let me give the world to you

Old 08-11-2014, 01:07 PM   #88
zbeast78
Ownz

yeah billy should have kept this in the vault forever, so ppl would keep clinging to that fable about how this was "the miracle that could have saved Adore and the pumpkins fortunes forever". if this song had ever been a sure fire hit, it would have been on the album. billy knew that then, but has been convinced by kiss up corganites over the years that he was wrong.

its pretty much exactly what i thought it would be all along, a pretty solid adore b-side. i've only spun it once, but i'll go ahead and say it's at least better than the m2 version.

Old 08-11-2014, 01:25 PM   #89
Ram27
dumb

Oh, no.

M2 version is tons better. Better mixing, Jimmy drumming.

Old 08-11-2014, 01:39 PM   #90
toase
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram27 View Post
Oh, no.

M2 version is tons better. Better mixing, Jimmy drumming.
Agreed