Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2012, 11:41 PM   #211
slunken
Virgo

all these "poser" bands are doing just fine w/out an abusive daddy and that makes billy jr mad inside because it isn't fair so he directs his hate at them and tries to mold his father (the record industry that he wants to change) into something better

Old 03-13-2012, 11:42 PM   #212
slunken
Virgo

because father knows best

Old 03-13-2012, 11:43 PM   #213
slunken
Virgo

machina II was rejected because daddy loves you and - look what happened - you beat radiohead at something because of it so please bring that up all the time to justify your points

Old 03-13-2012, 11:44 PM   #214
slunken
Virgo

i really wish billy would go back to 56k.

it suits him.

Old 03-13-2012, 11:57 PM   #215
Dogfighter28
ILL KILL UR DOG

Good to see Bill spreading the positive vibes.

He's so obviously jealous of the bands that are in now.

Old 03-14-2012, 03:15 AM   #216
Shallowed
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spira|_ View Post
You just complain!
You talkin to me?

http://www.antiquiet.com/wp-content/...rgan-court.jpg

Old 03-14-2012, 03:46 AM   #217
Kahlo

His constant linking of record sales to success is pretty dispiriting - when he started to talk about Arcade Fire and 'Indie' (has there ever been a more empty term?) bands he sounded completely out of touch with reality.

He made a few good points here and there, but nothing that wasn't painfully obvious.

Old 03-14-2012, 04:11 AM   #218
CrestfallenTear
Pledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spira|_ View Post
You just complain! Lol ffs. You are like kids with your dream hero dead!

Understand this:
You will be fat as billy at his age, probably you are fat yet with yours 30 yo.
Why do you bother he saying a lot of fucks? You do it all the time. Who cares?
All one of you would be annoyed if someone refered to a big moment of your life with a "when you were big"
He is more intelligent than all of us here, it really looks like... including me.

His speech about music industry problems make sense and he really has big points:
People dont buy music anymore
Ppl dont listen albums often as before
There arent BIG world bands and unforgetable bands like before, in a few years nobody will know anynore who was artic monkeys or coldplay.
Music industry is completely fucked up and because of this they just promote Justin Bierer and the good music many times stay in the garages lost forever...
It explains too why Mtv doesnt even play music anymore, it is sad!

He points the problems but he doesnt give the solutions, and you do you know the solution? So stfu.
Good points. Nice to see something else than negativity for a change

Old 03-14-2012, 05:19 PM   #219
aztec litany service
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh b0lly!!1 View Post
i literally skipped through it 4-5 seconds at a time and every time billy was talking he was complaining about something and and saying 'fuck' in some form.

seems like he's in a really bad mental state. disgruntled, angry, disillusioned, insisting on acting the way he always has i.e the stubborn rockstar who makes dubious choices that ultimately prove glorious against all odds, only that this time it seems like he knows it's a dead end and he's already angry with his forthcoming failure

his frustration is extremely evident and i genuinely feel bad for him
what i don't understand is his obsession with giving interviews all the time. the dude could prolly write a double album in a week or 2 a couple times a year and that would get him plenty enough attn and it would be positive. you can't talk your way out of it, man. pick up the guitar and fuck ppl up that way.

and get a real drummer

Old 03-14-2012, 06:43 PM   #220
RenewRevive
Minion of Satan

maybe he should make a double concept album on the state of the music industry next, he'd have endless lyrical inspiration.

lol that the big, amazing announcement ended up as "you got 3 more months to wait, kids!". you couldn't make this stuff up.

Old 03-14-2012, 06:49 PM   #221
Trotskilicious
Banned

Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
Hey guys I'm at SXSW talking about the internets look at how relevant I am.

Thanks Twitter for ruining SXSW, now every douche thinks if you go there and announce something it's instantly relevant.
what the fuck is wrong with you

have you ever even been to SXSW

shut up rider

Old 03-14-2012, 09:09 PM   #222
Rider
Minion of Satan

Location: I was born a snake handler, and I'll die a snake handler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotskilicious View Post
what the fuck is wrong with you

have you ever even been to SXSW

shut up rider
South by SXSW west has always had a douchy vibe. It wasn't until twitter launched there that it became as horrible as it is now where people like Corgan think they can go there say some buzz words and it means that they are launching some new industry paradigm.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twitter#Reaction

That's why Corgan is there doing something with Social Media that he still can't talk about. They think if they go there instantly every blog will create buzz about them.

Old 03-14-2012, 09:18 PM   #223
Trotskilicious
Banned

you didn't answer my question

Old 03-14-2012, 09:19 PM   #224
Trotskilicious
Banned

how is free beer and music bad, ever

Old 03-14-2012, 09:27 PM   #225
Rider
Minion of Satan

Quote:
how is free beer and music bad, ever
When 14,000 web 2.0 people are there trying to launch the next Twitter.

When was the last time you were there, because I've been there and I can tell you it's not what it was in the past.

Old 03-14-2012, 09:32 PM   #226
Trotskilicious
Banned

last year man, you're just a douchebag that can't enjoy anything

who the fuck cares who's launching what god damn, i just go to free shit, catch some bands, get loaded and laugh at tourists

who cares what it is and it was and blah blah blah, stop living in the fucking past

Old 03-14-2012, 09:33 PM   #227
Rider
Minion of Satan

The simple fact that there is now a "Samsung blogger lounge" shows how far the thing has fallen.

Old 03-14-2012, 09:34 PM   #228
Trotskilicious
Banned

and i'm going this year too, friday and saturday. I'mma see me some Jetpacks and Thee Oh Sees. For free. DOGG

Old 03-14-2012, 09:34 PM   #229
Trotskilicious
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
The simple fact that there is now a "Samsung blogger lounge" shows how far the thing has fallen.
you could suck the joy out of world peace

Old 03-14-2012, 09:35 PM   #230
Rider
Minion of Satan

Quote:
last year man, you're just a douchebag that can't enjoy anything

who the fuck cares who's launching what god damn, i just go to free shit, catch some bands, get loaded and laugh at tourists

who cares what it is and it was and blah blah blah, stop living in the fucking past
Ahh see this is the problem your one of the douche bags who ruined it.

Old 03-14-2012, 09:42 PM   #231
fluxequalsrad
Apocalyptic Poster

uhh last I checked every musical festival ever is laced with corporate sponsorship and fake hipsters... at least any one with good bands playing.

what the fuck do you want?

Old 03-14-2012, 09:48 PM   #232
Trotskilicious
Banned

I'M A NATIVE BORN AUSTINITE YOU DIPSHIT

i know more about this town and what goes on in it than you ever will for one thing, and two, it is always enjoyable to see downtown turn into a open ended music festival, FADER FORT or not.

yeah corporate sponsorship has ruined our lives, whatever. the collapse is coming anyway.

Old 03-14-2012, 09:49 PM   #233
Trotskilicious
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluxequalsrad View Post

what the fuck do you want?
the return of grunge, i bet

you know when it was about being real. real dirty.

Old 03-15-2012, 01:43 AM   #234
SlingeroGuitaro
Starbucks addicted minion

from another site:

Quote:
I was at Corgan's talk yesterday at SXSW and he said a lot of interesting stuff, much of which probably would have pissed off everyone here. He was a little all over the place, but the moderator was terrible. Still it was a good talk and I hope a video or transcript of the whole thing eventually ends up online.

Here are some highlights from memory
- he said that the labels used illegal downloading as a "smokescreen" and that their problems all date back to telling Napster to f off rather than realizing that people wanted to share music the way they always had.

- at the same time he talked about the reality that people don't want to pay for music anymore so it was all a little contradictory. Obviously he knows that piracy is the real issue but it's like he didn't want to come straight out and say it in a room full of tech people.

- he talked about how there's no room for the great middle ground artists and one of my favorite quotes was something along the lines of "you can either be a robot or some jerk in his basement"

- one of his most laughable claims was that alternative music was one of the greatest artistic movements in human history. He may have even said the greatest.

- there was no time left for a Q&A so they only took one question from the audience. The guy said something kind of confrontational but didn't have a mic so nobody could hear him, so Corgan invited him up on stage and they had a little argument in front of everyone. it was pretty amusing.

Evidently he has a plan to put together a group of bloggers who will moderate a discussion of sorts with fans and the fans will be able to come to some kind of consensus about which items they want to hear from the Pumpkins archives as well as setting a price for it. He's going to (or already has?) publish a list of everything in their archives and then basically leave it up to the fans what gets released and for how much so then they can't complain about the price. It sounded pretty strange.

The most interesting point he made was about the internet's culture of negativity and dismissal. He talked about how in the '90s he could say or do something on stage that would anger 40% of the audience but make 60% of the audience like him even better. But now the 40% just tweets what a jerk he is and people who weren't even there decide "I'm not going to go see that asshole". So he decided basically not to talk onstage anymore. And this led into his point about successful artists today being overly safe and boring (the robots vs. the jerk in the basement line). They talked a little bit about Lana Del Rey and how that internet culture of snark tore her apart.

And his overall point was to lay the blame on fans without really talking about piracy. It was pretty interesting. He talked more about how the fans are creating this toxic culture that doesn't allow anything good to flourish. And he hinted at the piracy problem by saying that the fans have a "victim mentality" where they think "oh man you want me to pay $20, you're so greedy" etc.

He also talked about how musicians have to "create their own world" and how there needs to be a stronger visual element to music so that it's something more engaging and not something that you can just put in the background.

Sorry for the random disconnected recollections.

Old 03-15-2012, 02:02 AM   #235
Trotskilicious
Banned

Quote:
The most interesting point he made was about the internet's culture of negativity and dismissal. He talked about how in the '90s he could say or do something on stage that would anger 40% of the audience but make 60% of the audience like him even better. But now the 40% just tweets what a jerk he is and people who weren't even there decide "I'm not going to go see that asshole".
Must have missed the Kanye cult I suppose.

Old 03-15-2012, 08:06 AM   #236
Spira|_
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by aztec litany service View Post
what i don't understand is his obsession with giving interviews all the time. the dude could prolly write a double album in a week or 2 a couple times a year and that would get him plenty enough attn and it would be positive. you can't talk your way out of it, man. pick up the guitar and fuck ppl up that way.

and get a real drummer
Agree he gives too much interviews for someone who nothing nowadays.
He should stay closed at home doing doing doing doing music until something worthy pops up.

Old 03-15-2012, 08:53 AM   #237
Spira|_
Apocalyptic Poster

And just watched Lan del Ray on SNL, and she was not that bad.
I saw Billy doing worst yet. But nobody talks about him anymore...

Old 03-15-2012, 12:13 PM   #238
DaveKShape
Ownz

I don't understand what the fuck he's talking about when he keeps saying "They only have one song." "Don't tell me this guy with one song is blah blah blah." Who is he talking about? Like, Feist on the iPod commercial? It's not like fucking Seven Mary Three in 1994 or some shit. People don't download the one Vampire Weekend or Phoenix song and listen to that over and over. They listen to albums.

Dude is so out of touch.

Old 03-15-2012, 12:21 PM   #239
DaveKShape
Ownz

Also, his Arcade Fire argument... so my Grandfather doesn't know who Arcade Fire is. Yet, my 62 year old uncle does. My grandparents didn't know who the fuck The Smashing Pumpkins were in 1995. What the fuck is he even talking about? Why does The Arcade Fire need to be known by everyone on planet Earth for their music to have validity? It's all perspective based.

Old 03-15-2012, 02:53 PM   #240
Esty
Netphorian of the Decade

Its his way to not give Arcade Fire any respect. If he does that, then his whole argument is full of shit. We all know it is but he doesn't want to admit it.