Ownz

Those casuals have nothing on 李洁

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H36vL3MzQDU

Old 11-03-2018, 08:11 PM   #153
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post
you are a fucking moron, and it's pretty likely you haven't even listened to these artists. mark kozelek is one of the most talented acoustic guitarists in rock music
You're like a walking caricature dude. Everything about you is like a walking stereotype.

Of course I've listened to Sun Kil Moon an Elliot Smith, there's some alright material but they're both incredibly overrated. The way music fans name drop them nowadays is comical to me.

Every hipster music fan needs that list that they name-check.

Old 11-03-2018, 08:12 PM   #154
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyroes View Post
You're like a walking caricature dude. Everything about you is like a walking stereotype.

Of course I've listened to Sun Kil Moon an Elliot Smith, there's some alright material but they're both incredibly overrated. The way music fans name drop them nowadays is comical to me.

Every hipster music fan needs that list that they name-check.
you deserve to be punched in the face

Old 11-03-2018, 08:13 PM   #155
MonumentsRocks
Ownz

Quote:
Here's one of Billy's better recent acoustic moments.

I love the intro part

I love this song, and I play it often for fun, but I think this song does have him hitting the strings kinda hard. I think it sounds OK in the particular instance, but if 1994 Billy was performing this song it would have come out even better.

Old 11-03-2018, 08:14 PM   #156
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
like please tell me which acoustic guitarists you would pick from that era
Good question. The 90's really wasn't that fruitful of an era as far as acoustic playing went, but there's certainly nothing special about the acoustic work from Smith or Kozelek.

Old 11-03-2018, 08:15 PM   #157
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

mark kozelek and Elliott Smith are for the hipsters now?

never thought I'd be hip again

Old 11-03-2018, 08:16 PM   #158
redbreegull

Quote:
but there's certainly nothing special about the acoustic work from Kozelek.
you're either trolling or you don't actually play guitar

Old 11-03-2018, 08:18 PM   #159
MonumentsRocks
Ownz

Quote:
Good question. The 90's really wasn't that fruitful of an era as far as acoustic playing went,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnQ8N1KacJc , it's downright Dylanesque.

Old 11-03-2018, 08:19 PM   #160
redbreegull

Quote:
Good question. The 90's really wasn't that fruitful of an era as far as acoustic playing went, but there's certainly nothing special about the acoustic work from Smith or Kozelek.
oh, so you have no answer. you can't think of one good acoustic guitarist who was prominent in the 90s? not even one? the best you can do is say, "no one?"

go lie down before you hurt yourself, you drunkard

Old 11-03-2018, 08:19 PM   #161
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonumentsRocks View Post
I love this song, and I play it often for fun, but I think this song does have him hitting the strings kinda hard. I think it sounds OK in the particular instance, but if 1994 Billy was performing this song it would have come out even better.
Yeah, good point man. It could have been fleshed out a little better for sure... No need to split hairs about it I guess.

I've always kinda liked the grunge/punk elements from the pumpkins so I definitely don't look for perfection from him.

Old 11-03-2018, 08:20 PM   #162
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnQ8N1KacJc , it's downright Dylanesque.
I love that song!

One of the first songs I learned on guitar!

Old 11-03-2018, 08:23 PM   #163
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
you're either trolling or you don't actually play guitar
I've been playing for over 20 years. Certainly there's a level of technical proficiency from both artists, but nothing that really moves the needle as far as I'm concerned.

I've tried to get into both artists at different times in my life and gave them both a fair shake and they both get a big fat "meh" from me... Nothing bad about them. They just don't warrant the hype.

I think Smiths death elevated him to a status that he wouldn't have otherwise garnered... The ole Heavy Metal Machine trope I suppose.

Old 11-03-2018, 08:23 PM   #164
redbreegull

it's something unpredictable
but in the end it's right

https://consequenceofsound.files.wor...jpg?quality=80

Old 11-03-2018, 08:24 PM   #165
redbreegull

Quote:
I think Smiths death elevated him to a status that he wouldn't have otherwise garnered... The ole Heavy Metal Machine trope I suppose.
yeah, he was totally unpopular before he died

Old 11-03-2018, 08:26 PM   #166
redbreegull

ITT we hear about how listening to globally popular, culturally beloved, and critically acclaimed musician Elliott Smith is for "hipsters" and anyone who mentions him in a list of notable acoustic guitarists is just "name dropping"

Old 11-03-2018, 08:27 PM   #167
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
oh, so you have no answer. you can't think of one good acoustic guitarist who was prominent in the 90s? not even one? the best you can do is say, "no one?"

go lie down before you hurt yourself, you drunkard
Most of the acoustic work that I like from the 90's is very minimalist stuff... Guitar parts that a beginner could easily learn. Part of the 90's charm I suppose

Brilliant song

Job of my dreams
Things are as bad as they seem
Working where I did at 14
Making less pay it seems
What do I do this for
Got to get out some more
Go down to the grocery store
Meet someone I'll adore
Someone who'll make me laugh
Someone to be my better half
Keep me warm under the sack
Share with me my midnight snack
House of my dreams
Things are as bad as they seem
My parents' house I'll stay for free
Till I'm at least 43

Last edited by fuzzyroes : 11-03-2018 at 08:41 PM.

Old 11-03-2018, 08:30 PM   #168
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
ITT we hear about how listening to globally popular, culturally beloved, and critically acclaimed musician Elliott Smith is for "hipsters" and anyone who mentions him in a list of notable acoustic guitarists is just "name dropping"
Relax, I was just giving you a hard time for having such a predictable, stock answer.

I'd more agree with you as far as Mark Kozelek goes, but I just hear about Elliot Smith ALL THE TIME inside of my music circles and from kids I talk with... It's almost like how everyone named dropped The Smiths 10-15 years ago.

Old 11-03-2018, 08:33 PM   #169
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
It's just you bro... Your politics are generic and predictable, your feminist beliefs are straight out of the colleges and your musical tastes read from the 101 of Pitchfork media.

I'm not doubting that you're sincere, I just think you need to journey outside of your confined interests and explore things a little bit more...

Just something to think about...

Old 11-03-2018, 08:34 PM   #170
MonumentsRocks
Ownz

Billy's Landslide solo was really tasteful, and he changed up the picking pattern in a really nice way. He brought something new to that song. TBH I think that song was one of the finest moment for acoustic guitar in the 90's, and the fact that it charted, despite being a Pisces Iscariot throwaway speaks to that. Making something people connect with is what matters at the end of the day, not technical proficiency. Wonderwall probably sold a lot of acoustic guitars.

Old 11-03-2018, 08:58 PM   #171
fuzzyroes
Banned

RBG, if you love Elliot Smith, you should check out Vince Vaccaro.

This song features some brilliant and lush acoustic guitar

Met him at a show once. Super cool guy, loves to have a good time.

Love how he manages to get some beer shot-gunning action in the video. Definitely a Canadian boy

Last edited by fuzzyroes : 11-03-2018 at 09:04 PM.

Old 11-03-2018, 09:09 PM   #172
johncg
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
I've been playing for over 20 years. Certainly there's a level of technical proficiency from both artists, but nothing that really moves the needle as far as I'm concerned.

I've tried to get into both artists at different times in my life and gave them both a fair shake and they both get a big fat "meh" from me... Nothing bad about them. They just don't warrant the hype.

Elliott Smith performed with and was admired by Brad Mehldau, one of the great jazz pianists of all time. Clearly he saw something in Elliott’s music.

Old 11-03-2018, 09:10 PM   #173
fuzzyroes
Banned

Ehhh, he's alright I guess... More of a poet than a good musician, I'd say. I've always found Elliot Smith to be a bit toothless.

Old 11-03-2018, 09:15 PM   #174
johncg
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
It's just you bro... Your politics are generic and predictable, your feminist beliefs are straight out of the colleges and your musical tastes read from the 101 of Pitchfork media.

I'm not doubting that you're sincere, I just think you need to journey outside of your confined interests and explore things a little bit more...

Just something to think about...
Only about 1% of the population has an opinion about indie music or even knows what Pitchfork is. Maybe you need to expand your horizons. The fact that you’re harshly judging someone for having “predictable” hipster opinions tells me you’re so deeply entrenched in that world that maybe you’ve forgotten that literally NO ONE on earth knows or cares outside from tiny dense little pockets of big cities and college campuses...and most of those people are going to outgrow it in a few years anyway.

Why not just be happy someone else out there is interested in the same niche things as you and be nice to them about it?

Old 11-03-2018, 09:19 PM   #175
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Billy's Landslide solo was really tasteful, and he changed up the picking pattern in a really nice way. He brought something new to that song. TBH I think that song was one of the finest moment for acoustic guitar in the 90's, and the fact that it charted, despite being a Pisces Iscariot throwaway speaks to that. Making something people connect with is what matters at the end of the day, not technical proficiency. Wonderwall probably sold a lot of acoustic guitars.
Yeah, I really like Billy's acoustic approach. He attacks the acoustic with some urgency. It's a nice dynamic.

This has to be my favorite SP acoustic song. Again, very minimalist

Old 11-03-2018, 09:20 PM   #176
FoolofaTook

galapogos is electric?

well fuck me sideways.

still: TO SHEILA IS ACOUSTIC

Old 11-03-2018, 09:20 PM   #177
FoolofaTook

as you can tell i haven't listened to tsp in epochs and shit

Old 11-03-2018, 09:24 PM   #178
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by johncg View Post
Only about 1% of the population has an opinion about indie music or even knows what Pitchfork is. Maybe you need to expand your horizons. The fact that you’re harshly judging someone for having “predictable” hipster opinions tells me you’re so deeply entrenched in that world that maybe you’ve forgotten that literally NO ONE on earth knows or cares outside from tiny dense little pockets of big cities and college campuses...and most of those people are going to outgrow it in a few years anyway.

Why not just be happy someone else out there is interested in the same niche things as you and be nice to them about it?

I'm not into that shit, don't i nclude me in with that.

The point was about the hipster identity. A lot of people name drop a list of artists so they can be in that inclusive club. Don't you get it?

If I go into a party full of hipsters and I'm trying to get in with them and they ask what artists I'm into all I have to say is Elliot Smith and I gain entry. It's the hipster uniform... Don't you get it?

Old 11-03-2018, 09:38 PM   #179
fuzzyroes
Banned

Jordan Peterson was talking about this in a recent interview about how there's these types of people that you know everything they're gonna say or like once you get to know a tiny bit about them...

There's so little individuality with this clique culture nowadays... Opinions don't differ, tastes are the same... It's a real problem...RBG is one of the worst offenders of this that I've ever come across online.

Peterson articulates it perfectly.

Watch the following 3 minutes that play of this clip. He destroys this reporter in the most articulate fashion.

Last edited by fuzzyroes : 11-03-2018 at 10:03 PM.

Old 11-03-2018, 10:09 PM   #180
myosis
Minion of Satan

as long as we're posting clips of acoustic guitar: