Netphoria Message Board


Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > General Chat Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Photo Album Mark Forums Read

 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2007, 07:01 PM   #1
DeviousJ
CORNFROST
 
DeviousJ's Avatar
 
Location: GUREITO DESU YO
Posts: 24,899
Default Anyone actually like Deal Or No Deal?

I have no idea why this show exists

 
DeviousJ is offline
Old 12-21-2007, 07:02 PM   #2
DeviousJ
CORNFROST
 
DeviousJ's Avatar
 
Location: GUREITO DESU YO
Posts: 24,899
Default

By the way, this guy hosts it here


In fact it's responsible for the resurgence of his career!

 
DeviousJ is offline
Old 12-21-2007, 07:04 PM   #3
DeviousJ
CORNFROST
 
DeviousJ's Avatar
 
Location: GUREITO DESU YO
Posts: 24,899
Default

Here's a christmas song he did

 
DeviousJ is offline
Old 12-21-2007, 07:04 PM   #4
pale blue eyes
NOPE.
 
Location: :/
Posts: 15,108
Default

Howie Mandell and his soulpatch prevent me from enjoying the American version. I have watched maybe half of an episode but I just look at him and it annoys me.

 
pale blue eyes is offline
Old 12-21-2007, 07:04 PM   #5
flavin
Ownz
 
flavin's Avatar
 
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 955
Default

I know two people that told me they liked it, but that was before I had seen it, so I didn't have a chance to ridicule them.

 
flavin is offline
Old 12-21-2007, 07:06 PM   #6
ravenguy2000
NO FATS
 
ravenguy2000's Avatar
 
Location: NO FEMS
Posts: 29,008
Default

Clearly everything about it is awful but the worst thing about game shows these days is that everyone knows exactly how to behave on camera now. So all the contestants are as obnoxious and loud as possible because "energetic" now means you have to have your eyes popping out of your head and you have to jump up and down manically when you're not rolling around on the floor and going WOOOO WOOOO to get a laugh out of Howie Mandel.

 
ravenguy2000 is offline
Old 12-21-2007, 07:06 PM   #7
DeviousJ
CORNFROST
 
DeviousJ's Avatar
 
Location: GUREITO DESU YO
Posts: 24,899
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pale blue eyes
Howie Mandell and his soulpatch prevent me from enjoying the American version. I have watched maybe half of an episode but I just look at him and it annoys me.
Maybe he's there to distract the viewers from the total lack of content though - I mean people are randomly opening boxes and deciding when to stop. For an hour!

 
DeviousJ is offline
Old 12-21-2007, 07:08 PM   #8
DeviousJ
CORNFROST
 
DeviousJ's Avatar
 
Location: GUREITO DESU YO
Posts: 24,899
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenguy2000
Clearly everything about it is awful but the worst thing about game shows these days is that everyone knows exactly how to behave on camera now. So all the contestants are as obnoxious and loud as possible because "energetic" now means you have to have your eyes popping out of your head and you have to jump up and down manically when you're not rolling around on the floor and going WOOOO WOOOO to get a laugh out of Howie Mandel.
Oh man, that must be part of the formula because (as far as I know) people don't really do that on gameshows here, but on this one everyone's a personality, and it's like they're all a team and they all know each other really well or something. 'I really want this to be a good box, you deserve it Adam!!!!!'

 
DeviousJ is offline
Old 12-21-2007, 07:10 PM   #9
ravenguy2000
NO FATS
 
ravenguy2000's Avatar
 
Location: NO FEMS
Posts: 29,008
Default

Yeah, I think that's an American thing. They clearly put the people on who are most willing to go batshit crazy and you can practically hear the producers goading them on. More! More! Bigger! Go bigger!

 
ravenguy2000 is offline
Old 12-21-2007, 07:13 PM   #10
pale blue eyes
NOPE.
 
Location: :/
Posts: 15,108
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeviousJ
Maybe he's there to distract the viewers from the total lack of content though - I mean people are randomly opening boxes and deciding when to stop. For an hour!
I'm surprised I could tear myself away from watching all the opening of cases to even notice Howie and his terrible facial hair.

 
pale blue eyes is offline
Old 12-21-2007, 07:14 PM   #11
pale blue eyes
NOPE.
 
Location: :/
Posts: 15,108
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenguy2000
Yeah, I think that's an American thing. They clearly put the people on who are most willing to go batshit crazy and you can practically hear the producers goading them on. More! More! Bigger! Go bigger!
I hate watching game shows for this exact reason.

 
pale blue eyes is offline
Old 12-21-2007, 07:42 PM   #12
scouse_dave
Minion of Satan
 
scouse_dave's Avatar
 
Location: Manchester
Posts: 5,091
Default

The worst bit is at the end when the contestant has took the deal, so you'd think the game is over. Yet they drag it out for another 10 minutes by opening all the reminding boxes, each time saying: "Steven, this could turn out to be the biggest mistake of your life!!!".

And then they say at random points "you've played a strong game". Played a strong game, WTF?!

 
scouse_dave is offline
Old 12-21-2007, 09:18 PM   #13
AnnMarie727
Apocalyptic Poster
 
AnnMarie727's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,312
Default

my parents really like this show. i dont really like it. it's pretty boring

 
AnnMarie727 is offline
Old 12-21-2007, 09:23 PM   #14
Corganist
Minion of Satan
 
Corganist's Avatar
 
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 7,240
Default

It's not thrilling TV or anything, but it's not nearly as mindless and boring as you guys are making it. It's not just about some guy opening boxes and then deciding to quit when he feels like it. The game is more about risk/reward and playing the odds than it is just randomly opening cases.

 
Corganist is offline
Old 12-21-2007, 09:42 PM   #15
Rider
Minion of Satan
 
Rider's Avatar
 
Location: I was born a snake handler, and I'll die a snake handler
Posts: 9,478
Default

I hate every new game show. They have the same lame formula. Either pick some random object, or answer a question then 10 minutes of "are you sure?" then press a button and say a stupid catch phrase.

 
Rider is offline
Old 12-21-2007, 09:48 PM   #16
julie
Apocalyptic Poster
 
julie's Avatar
 
Location: wicked witch of the west coast
Posts: 1,480
Default

my mom LOVES it. it is made for women like her. she'll watch anything that's not offensive. though the outfits those girls wear are pretty offensive.

 
julie is offline
Old 12-21-2007, 10:10 PM   #17
ravenguy2000
NO FATS
 
ravenguy2000's Avatar
 
Location: NO FEMS
Posts: 29,008
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corganist
The game is more about risk/reward and playing the odds than it is just randomly opening cases.
It's hardly a "game" at all. 99% of the show is the guests hooting and hollering in between long periods of randomly picking boxes. The only skill involved is guessing when your highest offer has come and they obviously pick contestants who they know are likely to keep going for the biggest payouts no matter how slim their chances are. The game itself is slightly more interesting than watching someone play a slot machine.

 
ravenguy2000 is offline
Old 12-21-2007, 10:46 PM   #18
Pretzel Logic
Apocalyptic Poster
 
Pretzel Logic's Avatar
 
Location: someone more...punk rock?
Posts: 3,562
Default

My dad absolutely loves when people turn down enormous amounts of money and open up another box. He often yells "DUMBASS!" and laughs loudly. It's good for him.

 
Pretzel Logic is offline
Old 12-21-2007, 10:54 PM   #19
Nimrod's Son
Master of Karate and Friendship
 
Nimrod's Son's Avatar
 
Location: in your butt
Posts: 72,959
Default

it's "pick a number" for money. it's asinine

 
Nimrod's Son is offline
Old 12-21-2007, 10:59 PM   #20
Corganist
Minion of Satan
 
Corganist's Avatar
 
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 7,240
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenguy2000
It's hardly a "game" at all. 99% of the show is the guests hooting and hollering in between long periods of randomly picking boxes. The only skill involved is guessing when your highest offer has come and they obviously pick contestants who they know are likely to keep going for the biggest payouts no matter how slim their chances are. The game itself is slightly more interesting than watching someone play a slot machine.
Again, I'm not saying it's great TV by any means. Obviously it's very dumbed down for mass consumption. But still, there is an element of strategy to the game that makes the whole thing work. There's generally always a point in the game where you know the person should cut their losses. Yes, there's an inordinate amount of idiots on the show who go past that point...but that's what the entertainment value is: seeing them make the obviously wrong move against the odds and live or die by it. If the whole thing was just dumb people going through purely random breaks (good or bad), it wouldn't be entertaining to anyone no matter how much they glitzed it up.

I almost hate to defend it, since it's definitely not really what I consider all that entertaining. But still, that doesn't mean that it's the most mind-numbing pointless thing on TV like some of you are making out. There's obviously something there for a lot of people.

 
Corganist is offline
Old 12-21-2007, 11:29 PM   #21
reprise85
Wizard
 
reprise85's Avatar
 
Location: I'm surprised you guys are so big on rap, considering it's the most masochistic music of any genre.
Posts: 30,839
Default

it's possibly the worst game show ever

 
reprise85 is offline
Old 12-21-2007, 11:30 PM   #22
beef curtains
Immortal
 
beef curtains's Avatar
 
Location: I like me so much better when you're naked
Posts: 21,760
Default

i watch it sometimes. getting rid of cable has lowered our standards a lot

 
beef curtains is offline
Old 12-21-2007, 11:45 PM   #23
Piggy
Ownz
 
Piggy's Avatar
 
Location: No, you can't do that.
Posts: 902
Default

My mom and sister like this show.

I'll usually walk in the room at the end.. and just shake my head and walk away. I can see how people would watch it though. I wouldn't ever sit down and watch it if i had the choice though

 
Piggy is offline
Old 12-22-2007, 08:04 AM   #24
wally
cibohplaicos
 
wally's Avatar
 
Posts: 10,310
Default

my father in law loves it. i don't understand why

 
wally is offline
Old 12-22-2007, 12:03 PM   #25
Rockin' Cherub
Braindead
 
Rockin' Cherub's Avatar
 
Location: the amazing year 400 million
Posts: 18,194
Default

i just talked about it with someone before i saw this thread

nimrod's description is pretty spot on

 
Rockin' Cherub is offline
Old 12-22-2007, 12:10 PM   #26
wangcomputers
Apocalyptic Poster
 
wangcomputers's Avatar
 
Location: UK
Posts: 4,059
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeviousJ
By the way, this guy hosts it here

someone stole his beard.

 
wangcomputers is offline
Old 12-24-2007, 09:03 PM   #27
DeviousJ
CORNFROST
 
DeviousJ's Avatar
 
Location: GUREITO DESU YO
Posts: 24,899
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corganist
Again, I'm not saying it's great TV by any means. Obviously it's very dumbed down for mass consumption. But still, there is an element of strategy to the game that makes the whole thing work. There's generally always a point in the game where you know the person should cut their losses. Yes, there's an inordinate amount of idiots on the show who go past that point...but that's what the entertainment value is: seeing them make the obviously wrong move against the odds and live or die by it. If the whole thing was just dumb people going through purely random breaks (good or bad), it wouldn't be entertaining to anyone no matter how much they glitzed it up.
Are you seriously saying that people who enjoy it are calculating the odds, listening to what the professional investment banker is offering and saying 'ha, he only has a 38.762% chance of winning more than that, what a fool!'? It's a game where people flip a coin a few times and get offered some money, and they either take it or flip some more. It's like someone took the 'do you want what's behind door number one?' part at the end of a regular gameshow, and dragged that out into an entire hour

Actually the best part is that it's so popular there's a board game version, and one of those DVD games. There's only one thing more entertaining than watching people flip coins for money, and that's flipping coins for pretend money

 
DeviousJ is offline
Old 12-24-2007, 09:08 PM   #28
Ol' Couch Ass
Socialphobic
 
Ol' Couch Ass's Avatar
 
Location: The Filthy South
Posts: 11,207
Default

I'll let you know if I enjoy this show...... right after this break
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
DRINK COKE
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
TACO BELL
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
SOME BANK
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
SOMETHING IN YOUR HOUSE WILL KILL YOU IN THE NEXT 10 MINUTES, THIS HEADLINE AND MORE ON THE LATE LOCAL NEWS AT 11
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.


Shit no that show sucks.

 
Ol' Couch Ass is offline
Old 12-24-2007, 09:26 PM   #29
Corganist
Minion of Satan
 
Corganist's Avatar
 
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 7,240
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeviousJ
Are you seriously saying that people who enjoy it are calculating the odds, listening to what the professional investment banker is offering and saying 'ha, he only has a 38.762% chance of winning more than that, what a fool!'? It's a game where people flip a coin a few times and get offered some money, and they either take it or flip some more. It's like someone took the 'do you want what's behind door number one?' part at the end of a regular gameshow, and dragged that out into an entire hour[/i]
Come on, you don't have to be a math savant to know when someone's making a move that's against the odds. You're not giving people enough credit. If it was as random as a coin flip, then you're right, it'd be devoid of any entertainment value whatsoever. But there's a lot more to it than coinflipping.

Like I said, if the show was just based around people catching purely random unlucky breaks like you're making it out, no one would watch it. People like to watch others fail because of their own screw ups and stupidity, not because of random unlucky breaks that could happen to anyone. Haven't we seen enough reality TV by now to know that?

You can say DOND doesn't seem like the sort of thing you'd find fun to watch (I agree with that sentiment myself). But that doesn't mean that anyone who does enjoy it is some kind of mouth breathing idiot.

 
Corganist is offline
Old 12-24-2007, 09:37 PM   #30
DeviousJ
CORNFROST
 
DeviousJ's Avatar
 
Location: GUREITO DESU YO
Posts: 24,899
Talking

The average person couldn't tell you the odds of throwing two sixes with a pair of dice, you're insane

Not as insane as these people though: http://www.dond.co.uk/forum/index.php

 
DeviousJ is offline
 


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is On
Google


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:04 PM.




Smashing Pumpkins, Alternative Music
& General Discussion Message Board and Forums
www.netphoria.org - Copyright 1998-2019