Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List

Old 03-04-2010, 05:12 PM   #181
waltermcphilp
Socialphobic

There is only room enough here for one stewie.

Old 03-04-2010, 05:13 PM   #182
Bleakest Harves
Demi-God

Ok. And the article?

Old 03-04-2010, 05:14 PM   #183
waltermcphilp
Socialphobic

What article?

Old 03-04-2010, 05:24 PM   #184
Pop Tart
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristHimself! View Post
maybe jimmy was being polite in public because he still loves billy, but doesn't want to make music with him anymore because he realised he's turned into a creepy new age fucknodule
Yeah, I don't think you could be friends with Billy - especially not for any length of time - without realising what he's like, and what he's capable of.

I keep having this image though, of Billy going up to Jimmy and saying, "I'm firing you," and Jimmy going, "Firing me from what?" I mean, does Billy own the SP name? Could Jimmy have fired Billy? It's just a name now - with nothing attached to it any more. There's no actual band. It's just Billy. "Hi Jimmy. I'm firing you from me."

Old 03-04-2010, 05:30 PM   #185
waltermcphilp
Socialphobic

Jimmy: Give me several reasons why you want me out of the band.
Billy: I don't have to, I recorded SD by myself.
Jimmy: What does that have to do with anything
Billy: *kazoo solo*

Old 03-04-2010, 05:30 PM   #186
DaveKShape
Ownz

a few things i noticed:

a) sweet obelisk on that table there bill! does it give you gnarly powers and channel you into sky saxon from beyond the grave? is he giving you some PSYCHIC advice through it?!?!?!

b) james iha - for billy claiming he's such a hateful and evil person, he's been a class act in the small amount he has commented on the pumpkins recently. while billy continues to shit on him and other past band members in the press, james has said these things (i'm paraphrasing) recently about billy/the pumpkins:

"billy is very talented" - john norris tinted windows interview

"we all had different opinions. i choose to remember the good times"

what an asshole!

Old 03-04-2010, 05:34 PM   #187
Pop Tart
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltermcphilp View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveKShape View Post
james iha - for billy claiming he's such a hateful and evil person, he's been a class act in the small amount he has commented on the pumpkins recently.
Absolutely!

I keep forgetting to mention that my favourite part of that article was "weak ankles". OMG!

Old 03-04-2010, 05:35 PM   #188
Corganist
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke View Post
Corganist,

I don't think you're seeing the whole picture here. I read your posts and there just some things that you don't take into account.

1. Billy has had a lot of failed relationships within the past 10 years both professionally and personally. Never does he ever say any of them are his fault. It's always the other person, but the common equation in all of them is HIM. He's 42 years old now. Time to take some responsibility.
There is absolutely no reason whatsoever to assume that Billy bears any responsibility in any of those relationships going south. We just don't know one way or the other, so it's ridiculous to hold it against him.

Quote:
2. Noone wants SP to be irrelevant, but Billy's behavior in pursuit of being relevant has been at times unbearable. Lashing out at fans in concert, complaining in interviews, etc... I'm well aware he's always been this way, but he's stepped that up in the last 10 years. He creates the music. As he states in the article he's "99% of what you hear" so the burden rests on him to connect to the base and any other fans he's looking to reel in.
I can't find much to disagree with here, other than the idea that anything he's done recently is all that more ramped up than anything he's done before. I just don't see how people can keep doing their amateur psychoanalysis on Billy and presenting shocking findings like "Billy thrives on others' approval and cares a bit too much about what people think of him to the point that he actually turns people off!" as though such things are anything we haven't known since the mid-1990s.

Quote:
3. About Jimmy... Like many others here I don't believe what I read in the article. For the past 3+ years Billy was gushing about Jimmy all over the place. Now all of a sudden we're supposed to believe that Jimmy is this horrible, destructive person. They've known each other over 20 years. If he was so horrible BC would have never recruited him for Zwan or for the "resurrection" of the Pumpkins.
Which is more likely? That Billy flipped a switch and decided out of the blue and for no reason that Jimmy was a destructive influence and needed to be turfed out? Or that maybe, just maybe, something specific happened on the last tour that made Billy come to that conclusion? Say what you will about Billy's ability to play with others, but he's never been known to be as arbitrary about such things as people here want to pretend he is.

Old 03-04-2010, 05:40 PM   #189
jimmy drevpile
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltermcphilp View Post
Jimmy: Give me several reasons why you want me out of the band.
Billy: I don't have to, I recorded SD by myself.
Jimmy: What does that have to do with anything

lol

Old 03-04-2010, 05:42 PM   #190
DaveKShape
Ownz

man, he's done so much damage to his career in the past few years. it's going to be hilarious watching this shit ship sink further and further into obscurity.

Old 03-04-2010, 05:45 PM   #191
russian iha
Apocalyptic Poster

Corgainst, B0llster can be INTO MUSIC to the point of rehearsing/recording 24/7 non-stop for years and die because of exhaustion, but in the end he comes up with dogshit like Widow Wake My Mind.

Non-caring Jimmy recorded JCC and his drum parts that can hardly be criticized apart of the songs they are recorded for.

Old 03-04-2010, 05:47 PM   #192
russian iha
Apocalyptic Poster

In the end it's all about results and finished product.

Old 03-04-2010, 05:54 PM   #193
Corganist
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by russian iha View Post
In the end it's all about results and finished product.
Exactly what results has Jimmy produced since the split? Where is his product, finished or otherwise?

Old 03-04-2010, 05:58 PM   #194
redbull
Immortal

are people actually responding to corganist?

install this firefox plugin: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/7023

no more corganist, ever

Old 03-04-2010, 06:01 PM   #195
waltermcphilp
Socialphobic

That is an oddly specific plugin.

Old 03-04-2010, 06:03 PM   #196
Corganist
Minion of Satan

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
are people actually responding to corganist?

install this firefox plugin: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/7023

no more corganist, ever
That plugin is for pussies.

Old 03-04-2010, 06:04 PM   #197
slunken
Virgo

I got your back, dawg.

Old 03-04-2010, 06:11 PM   #198
russian iha
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corganist View Post
Exactly what results has Jimmy produced since the split? Where is his product, finished or otherwise?
Keeping profile low > WWMM.

Old 03-04-2010, 06:11 PM   #199
waltermcphilp
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corganist View Post
That plugin is for pussies.
Exactly how many pussies will I get for downloading?

5?

16?

Old 03-04-2010, 07:28 PM   #200
paranoid
Minion of Satan

"'m not going to give Jimmy a gold star for losing his mojo and settling down. And I don't see why anyone else here would. As fans of the music these guys made together, I don't know why we would sit here and cheer on the person who is saying "let's settle, let's be small-time and put out music once in a while when we feel like it, because nobody really cares these days, right?" Fuck that. If Jimmy wants to be the family man and live happily ever after playing clubs and doing drum clinics once in a while, good for him. But as a fan of the Smashing Pumpkins that decision is not something I'm going to stand and applaud." -Corganist

But you will stand and applaud billy basically saying he is accepting of his mediocrity and is no longer willing to put that extra energy into his music because it makes him crazy? I mean he's said that a few times in the past few months, are you conveniently forgetting that?

also.. you are completely misinterpreting jimmy's words. read it again and read it within the context of how he says it. i'd spell it out for you but you're a bit retarded, and everyone seems to agree with that sentiment.. so i'm not going to completely waste my energy.

Old 03-04-2010, 07:35 PM   #201
paranoid
Minion of Satan

also corganist, it's quite presumptuous for you to assume that what billy is saying is true. how the fuck do you know? you don't. you know as much as anyone else.

Old 03-04-2010, 07:37 PM   #202
paranoid
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corganist
if you had been paying attention, you'd know that he's spent the past year writing. He is currently recording with a new band and roy thomas baker right now. He's been as busy as billy, it just hasn't been as public.

Old 03-04-2010, 07:37 PM   #203
Mayfuck
Banned

The Radiohead dudes have kids now and are still putting out fresh music. Ditto the Animal Collective dudes. Even the shitty bros from Green Day have kids now and they still put out stuff that charts on radio stations. I don't think families are much a factor as Corganist is stating they are.

Plus Corganist is accusing us of conjecture while using conjecture of his own, "james wouldn't piss on his fans if they were on fire" what kind of statement is that, how is that even backed up by anything. i thnk we'd have a far easier time backing up that statement if you subsituted james for billy.

i dont know how corganist or anyone else can dispute what charmbag posted in this thread. he seems to not see the change in billy from 1993 to 2010 but its obvious to anyone else who's been paying attention.

Old 03-04-2010, 07:44 PM   #204
slunken
Virgo

Congratulations on making a post without telling us how you're too good to post here.

Old 03-04-2010, 08:09 PM   #205
Corganist
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoid View Post
But you will stand and applaud billy basically saying he is accepting of his mediocrity and is no longer willing to put that extra energy into his music because it makes him crazy? I mean he's said that a few times in the past few months, are you conveniently forgetting that?
I wouldn't applaud it if that was what he really said or if his actions ever started reflecting that attitude. I know what statements you're referring to, and I thought even at the time they were said that the interpretation that you're ascribing to them was bullshit. And I think this article now just underscores that.

Quote:
also.. you are completely misinterpreting jimmy's words. read it again and read it within the context of how he says it. i'd spell it out for you but you're a bit retarded, and everyone seems to agree with that sentiment.. so i'm not going to completely waste my energy.
I don't see how he couldn't have been more clear. Jimmy doesn't want to be a rock star anymore and Billy still does. I get it. I just don't know why anyone here expects me to like it or approve of it. Perhaps I've overstated Jimmy's lack of passion for music, but I just don't see how the laid back stance he's taken translates to my interests as a fan, which is to have as much music I like produced for my benefit as possible.

Billy's silly motivation to somehow recapture his 90s stardom is pathetic in many ways, and it's understandable that Jimmy sees that and doesn't want to follow suit...but at the same time, that silly motivation keeps Billy writing and recording and putting out music regularly and consistently. What is really so bad about that from where we stand? What exact benefit have we as fans gotten from Jimmy's absence? Billy's songs have suffered, and we've been sitting around twiddling our thumbs for a year now waiting on Jimmy to get something done. And that's all because of Jimmy's attitude. Not Billy's. If Jimmy wanted something better for SP even half as much as Billy, then Teargarden as it stands right now would probably be a lot better, and we'd still probably get Jimmy's solo work on top of it.

If the situation were reversed, and Jimmy was the one who wanted to push SP (back) to bigger and better things by hook or by crook while Billy simultaneously wanted to dial things down and scale back the band's mission and output so that he could pursue other interests, I have no doubt in my mind that most of you would have a drastically different opinion on the matter. Billy would still be the bad guy, and Jimmy would still be the saint.

Old 03-04-2010, 08:16 PM   #206
Catherine Wheel
Banned

What's the point of being a rock star if you just isolate and alienate yourself from everyone that ever mattered to you?

Old 03-04-2010, 08:19 PM   #207
paranoid
Minion of Satan

tl;dr

Old 03-04-2010, 08:27 PM   #208
Corganist
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoid View Post
also corganist, it's quite presumptuous for you to assume that what billy is saying is true. how the fuck do you know? you don't. you know as much as anyone else.
The stuff he said about Jimmy's destructiveness I don't assume is true, because Jimmy pretty specifically said it wasn't. Jury's still out I say. But there have been very few other times when anyone has disputed any of Billy's specific accusations, and most of them generally aren't of the type you let stand if you have the truth on your side. I think it stands to reason that of all the people Billy has burned bridges with, someone would defend themselves and say "No, here's how it really is working with Billy Corgan." if Billy was really spreading lies.

I mean, if someone could do a tell all on Billy without making themselves look bad, the music press would eat that shit up with a spoon. So why hasn't it happened? It's not like Billy has any pull to blackball someone for speaking ill of him.

Old 03-04-2010, 08:31 PM   #209
Corganist
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catherine Wheel View Post
What's the point of being a rock star if you just isolate and alienate yourself from everyone that ever mattered to you?
That's why it's silly and pathetic. But that desire has been ingrained in Billy as long as I've been following him. It shouldn't surprise anyone by now.

And especially not Jimmy Chamberlin.

Old 03-04-2010, 08:33 PM   #210
jimmy drevpile
Apocalyptic Poster

Corgan makes himself look bad enough, without anyone else joining in.