Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11-02-2008, 04:29 PM   #211
Spaldz
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
if billy replaced set the controls with silverfuck and muzzle nobody would complain about the setlists
Because then we would have the makings of a half decent set. Say Billy wanted to actually make decent money he could easily play these songs and sell more and more tickets at future venues. I'd damn well buy to see them again if they played Muzzle again

Old 11-02-2008, 04:29 PM   #212
DoomsdayRocket
Demi-God

In another note, when can we expect the official bootlegs to be up?

any minute now?

Old 11-02-2008, 04:33 PM   #213
yeahmeat
Amish Rake Fighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floppy Nono View Post
it was a fine setlist for any other tour but do you think it's the right one to play to celebrate the 20th anniversary of the band? that's the real question over all this.
Of course we all wish they'd play a set list catered towards our personal favorites. For some that may be just the radio hits, and for others (probably the vast majority of this board) it may be those other songs that have touched us each individually.

During the 2 hour car ride back to Pittsburgh last night, my friend seemed almost offended that they didn't play this or that. I, on the other hand, was thinking to myself that I'd love to see them on this tour again in order to better absorb the new material and get pumped up for the future of this band. It made me think about how much this band has meant to me since the day I bought Mellon Collie when I was 16 (I was a tad late to the party, I know) to this point now, and where we will be in the future.

I think in that regard this set list was fine for a 20th anniversary show. It says a lot that this band can still make me teary eyed with songs like Mayo and Tonight Tonight, and yet continues to make me hopeful for the future when they get these newer songs worked out and up to our (the fans') standards.

Old 11-02-2008, 04:42 PM   #214
Rickpat12
Apocalyptic Poster

I've wanted to see Muzzle live forever, every show I go to they don't play it. I'm still optimistic about this being a very diverse setlist tour. I think they'll switch it up still...but we'll see.

Old 11-02-2008, 04:50 PM   #215
paranoid
Minion of Satan

im in the minority here in that i really like set the controls.. but in an anniversary celebration set?

How is playing SOMEONE ELSE OLD MATERIAL supposed to be reflective of the band MOVING AHEAD?

Old 11-02-2008, 04:51 PM   #216
avsfan7733
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoid View Post

How is playing SOMEONE ELSE OLD MATERIAL supposed to be reflective of the band MOVING AHEAD?
this made me laugh really hard.

Old 11-02-2008, 04:52 PM   #217
Spira|_
Apocalyptic Poster

I think to play 3 covers on a 20th anniversary tour is too many and it is completely no sense. In a tour to comemorate SP we want at minimum to listen Smashing Pumpkins' songs, right???
This makes me feel Billy is being pretty egoist.

Old 11-02-2008, 04:57 PM   #218
paranoid
Minion of Satan

also haven't they recently sound checked porcelina? we can expect to show up on the first of the 2 nights.

Old 11-02-2008, 05:00 PM   #219
Andy /

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickpat12 View Post
I've wanted to see Muzzle live forever, every show I go to they don't play it.
I'm still disappointed that in 4 shows at Philly, they couldn't play this once. Or Gossamer. Or Silverfuck. Or Aeroplane. Or Thirty-Three.

Old 11-02-2008, 05:01 PM   #220
redbull
Immortal

Quote:
also haven't they recently sound checked porcelina? we can expect to show up on the first of the 2 nights.
lol remember when they soundchecked gossamer and beautiful and xyu and bodies and rhinoceros last year

Old 11-02-2008, 05:10 PM   #221
tcm
Braindead

Arrow

Quote:
im in the minority here in that i really like set the controls.. but in an anniversary celebration set?

by around the seven minute mark, there's really no Pink Floyd left in what they're doing. some may argue that there's really nothing at all left for that matter, but it's definitely Pumpkins-brand nothingness.

Old 11-02-2008, 05:21 PM   #222
Spira|_
Apocalyptic Poster

Can anybody update something how was the 'intro theme', if there was any...?

Old 11-02-2008, 05:23 PM   #223
Rickpat12
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndySlash View Post
I'm still disappointed that in 4 shows at Philly, they couldn't play this once. Or Gossamer. Or Silverfuck. Or Aeroplane. Or Thirty-Three.
Ouch, yeah I can feel ya there too. I'm a HUGE fan of Gossamer and never got it...TAFH is one of my top 5's, never got it. Silverfuck is just mind blowing live, never got it. But hey, I got hope!

Old 11-02-2008, 05:48 PM   #224
duovamp
Brazilian Blouselord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floppy Nono View Post
i doubt the last radiohead show was 33% or more brand new unrecorded songs and covers.
Sounds to me like Radiohead's livin' in the past. CONTEMPORIZE, man!

Old 11-02-2008, 06:42 PM   #225
pippi79
Oblivious Virgin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spira|_ View Post
Can anybody update something how was the 'intro theme', if there was any...?
The intro theme was the same as the August tour. Light show was similar to August tour - maybe a little more flashy, but the same general idea.

I have to say that I disagree with the people who have complained about the show being 'uninspired' and disappointing. The crowd last night acted like they were all on horse tranquilizers. They barely cheered, barely anyone sang along, and people literally just stood there and held their beers - not moving - during songs like Bullet, Tonight, etc. It was horrendous. I thought the band sounded great. And Billy seemed really into it the whole night. He danced around, he screamed, he flailed at his guitar - think ARB at the GHWT party. He just couldn't reach people in the audience, no matter what they played or how animated they were. At the very end of the show, during the new song (cover?), people finally seemed to wake up (it was a latin beat and Billy led everyone in a clap-along with his tambourine). But the applause for the encore was so weak.. the whole night, the audience was just so, so weak.

I think maybe Billy mentioning the election during 'Sounds of Silence' killed the vibe completely because it was much worse after that. Then he made a Palin joke and a comment about how the outcome of the election didn't matter because the country was so incredibly fucked up, which got cheers, but seemed to kill the crowd for the rest of the night. It was like no one wanted to participate in the concert except by watching and MAYBE nodding their head. My friend said it felt like being in a theater full of depressed people.

As for Billy 'ridiculing the audience' at the end of the show, I believe his words were more akin to: "Wow, thank you Cleveland! Best crowd we've ever had! Man, you were so great you brought us all nearly to tears! I know you're all out to get me, but that's ok. I write better songs when I'm sad. That's right, people, you've been feeding off my pain for years. But that's ok - I have a big house because of you."

He then launched into the song after 'we only come out at night', snarling "Everyone is beautiful... in their own way."

It was fairly classic Billy sarcasm, all of it. And pretty mild, I thought, considering how god-awful the crowd was.

That was pretty painful, but so was the moment when Billy encouraged the people screameing for disarm or whatever the hell else they wanted to hear. This prompted the usual, 'I'm sorry I'm not going to play that song," plus, "That's right, I'm the song monster. (raaaarrrrrrrr) I decide what songs not to play." This went on for a while before they continued with the setlist and launched into... Disarm. lol. That was a pretty angry rendition of Disarm.

The new song or cover or whatever it is was really fun. Billy danced around the stage slapping his hip (and butt) with a tambourine for a good minute or so before the vocals kicked in, then Jeff and Ginger ditched their guitars for maracas and we got a pretty neat 3-part harmony chorus from everyone. "there must be faith left somewhere" or something close to that. Then there was crazy Jimmy latin beat drumming, Billy going bananas writhing around on stage and tapping himself with a tambourine, a couple good sections of 'clap your hands in the air' type audience participation.. lots of fun.

phew! fun show. Song for a Son electric sounds awesome and As Rome Burns is mosh-worthy.

Old 11-02-2008, 06:45 PM   #226
Rickpat12
Apocalyptic Poster

New song being the cover at the end, or the March Hare?

Old 11-02-2008, 07:04 PM   #227
pippi79
Oblivious Virgin

Quote:
New song being the cover at the end, or the March Hare?
Ugh.. I'm not sure. The last song of the night before the encore. So, the entire period that Billy had that tambourine in his hand. I have no idea if that was a new song or a cover- or both. It seemed like one long song. I did a search and I couldn't find anywhere on the forums where someone else had a definite answer. Can someone fill me in?

Edited to add: Checked the setlist. It's the March Hare.

Last edited by pippi79 : 11-02-2008 at 07:12 PM.

Old 11-02-2008, 07:06 PM   #228
pippi79
Oblivious Virgin

Last edited by pippi79 : 11-02-2008 at 07:12 PM.

Old 11-02-2008, 07:08 PM   #229
Rickpat12
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by pippi79 View Post
I definitely don't mean the cover in the encore after 'we only come out at night.'
Yeah, after watching the video of Everything is beautiful or whatever, the tambourine song is def. The March Hare. So, that cover of Everything is Beautiful...who sings that?

Old 11-02-2008, 07:10 PM   #230
pippi79
Oblivious Virgin

Song for a Son:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5b5j415ICs

Sorry.. I don't know how to embed things.

Old 11-02-2008, 07:18 PM   #231
pippi79
Oblivious Virgin

Quote:
Yeah, after watching the video of Everything is beautiful or whatever, the tambourine song is def. The March Hare. So, that cover of Everything is Beautiful...who sings that?
Billy seemed to be the only one singing (and providing those funny little adlibs ('whoah, a speed bump!')), with the band playing kazoo back-up.

Btw, Jeff's laugh is pretty funny. at about 7:00 in to the youtube video of the encore. People are yelling 'William!' because he said earlier in the night, 'You may call me William. That's my real name' when he first started getting miffed at the audience.

Old 11-02-2008, 08:03 PM   #232
laaazy
Demi-God

i thot the show was alright
a long time ago ive given up hope for the band, i really wasnt even planning on going to see them this tour until i heard as rome burns and the sound of silence
i wasnt expecting to hear ruby, i wish they played it tho, tristessa, or soma, so that made it alright. this isnt the same band we once loved, were not gonna get that old energy
and i acctually enjoyed those guys on horns a lot

Old 11-02-2008, 08:12 PM   #233
Andrew_Pakula
Fine! I'll go make my own
web site. With Blackjack,
and Hookers... Actually,
forget the web site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
except that radiohead's newer material doesn't suck
This

Old 11-02-2008, 08:30 PM   #234
Pledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by pippi79 View Post
The intro theme was the same as the August tour. Light show was similar to August tour - maybe a little more flashy, but the same general idea.

I have to say that I disagree with the people who have complained about the show being 'uninspired' and disappointing. The crowd last night acted like they were all on horse tranquilizers. They barely cheered, barely anyone sang along, and people literally just stood there and held their beers - not moving - during songs like Bullet, Tonight, etc. It was horrendous. I thought the band sounded great. And Billy seemed really into it the whole night. He danced around, he screamed, he flailed at his guitar - think ARB at the GHWT party. He just couldn't reach people in the audience, no matter what they played or how animated they were. At the very end of the show, during the new song (cover?), people finally seemed to wake up (it was a latin beat and Billy led everyone in a clap-along with his tambourine). But the applause for the encore was so weak.. the whole night, the audience was just so, so weak.

I think maybe Billy mentioning the election during 'Sounds of Silence' killed the vibe completely because it was much worse after that. Then he made a Palin joke and a comment about how the outcome of the election didn't matter because the country was so incredibly fucked up, which got cheers, but seemed to kill the crowd for the rest of the night. It was like no one wanted to participate in the concert except by watching and MAYBE nodding their head. My friend said it felt like being in a theater full of depressed people.

As for Billy 'ridiculing the audience' at the end of the show, I believe his words were more akin to: "Wow, thank you Cleveland! Best crowd we've ever had! Man, you were so great you brought us all nearly to tears! I know you're all out to get me, but that's ok. I write better songs when I'm sad. That's right, people, you've been feeding off my pain for years. But that's ok - I have a big house because of you."

He then launched into the song after 'we only come out at night', snarling "Everyone is beautiful... in their own way."

It was fairly classic Billy sarcasm, all of it. And pretty mild, I thought, considering how god-awful the crowd was.

That was pretty painful, but so was the moment when Billy encouraged the people screameing for disarm or whatever the hell else they wanted to hear. This prompted the usual, 'I'm sorry I'm not going to play that song," plus, "That's right, I'm the song monster. (raaaarrrrrrrr) I decide what songs not to play." This went on for a while before they continued with the setlist and launched into... Disarm. lol. That was a pretty angry rendition of Disarm.

The new song or cover or whatever it is was really fun. Billy danced around the stage slapping his hip (and butt) with a tambourine for a good minute or so before the vocals kicked in, then Jeff and Ginger ditched their guitars for maracas and we got a pretty neat 3-part harmony chorus from everyone. "there must be faith left somewhere" or something close to that. Then there was crazy Jimmy latin beat drumming, Billy going bananas writhing around on stage and tapping himself with a tambourine, a couple good sections of 'clap your hands in the air' type audience participation.. lots of fun.

phew! fun show. Song for a Son electric sounds awesome and As Rome Burns is mosh-worthy.
I will agree that the crowd didn't seem into it. I was sitting next to the girl that billy pointed out that was standing and rocking the entire time. She was pretty cool as was most of that section but as I looked around, I saw a guy sleeping (or passed out) most everyone was more worried about getting there next beer. But even though the crowd sucked I don't think that effected the setlist.

Old 11-02-2008, 09:52 PM   #235
duovamp
Brazilian Blouselord

I said the crowd sucked earlier and nobody listened...

They really were being pretty awful most of the time. Preeeetty ungrateful imo.

Billy's not your jester, people. He will not dance when you say dance. Should've known what you were getting into.

Old 11-02-2008, 09:52 PM   #236
Reyngel
Apocalyptic Poster

Why would the crowd be into it?

They paid hundreds of dollars, some travelled from miles around, all expecting a 20th Anniversary tour. Instead, all the got was the exact same August tour setlist, the boring and uninspired radio singles, and the rest was all songs that had nothing to do with the last 20 years.

What a crock of shit.

Old 11-02-2008, 09:54 PM   #237
duovamp
Brazilian Blouselord

Hey, I drove for two hours, paid 40 in gas and a bit over 50 for my ticket. If you're just a fair weather fan then I don't even know why you come to Pumpkins shows anymore tbh.

Old 11-02-2008, 09:54 PM   #238
Reyngel
Apocalyptic Poster

By the way... what is the O-board saying about this show? It seems like on here, it's about 95% or more in complete disgust with Billy Corgan over the show. Is it the same there?

If it's not, someone post a link of this thread onto the O-board. Maybe Billy will end up read it and figure out that it was ridiculous.

Old 11-02-2008, 09:55 PM   #239
daevil1
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reyngel View Post
Why would the crowd be into it?

They paid hundreds of dollars, some travelled from miles around, all expecting a 20th Anniversary tour. Instead, all the got was the exact same August tour setlist, the boring and uninspired radio singles, and the rest was all songs that had nothing to do with the last 20 years.

What a crock of shit.
Yeah, but I bet most of the crowd werent even at the august show tour or even knew the set list from it.

Old 11-02-2008, 09:57 PM   #240
Floppy Nono
Socialphobic

that's the way (my love is) with some political jokes