Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > General Boards > General Chat Message Board
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Photo Album Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-2016, 12:05 PM   #31
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

Location: "You are the poster child for an uninformed brainwashed American" -OmegaConcern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elphenor View Post
been to Mexico to drink before I was 21
here we would do that in Canada

Old 09-24-2016, 12:07 PM   #32
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

Location: "You are the poster child for an uninformed brainwashed American" -OmegaConcern

i've been to every us state except Maine and Alaska. Had a business trip planned this year to visit Alaska but i had to cancel at the last minute.

Old 09-24-2016, 12:08 PM   #33
ilikeplanets
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post
ILP, you've been to most of the US states? That's pretty well-traveled, the US is a huge place. I'm jealous cause I would love to see more of the US... when I see pictures of the American west I actually get this heavy yearning feeling in my heart. I think I am supposed to live out there one day. Unfortunately there are a lot of foreign countries I could go to for cheaper than a trip around the US would cost.
I haven't been farther west than New Mexico so I haven't seen the one part of the country that I want to! But I've been all over New England, the east coast, the South and South West and parts of the Midwest. Probably 30/50 so that's closer to half the states actually. By this time 6 months from now I should have made the drive from Alabama to Washington though and that will definitely close the gap.

Old 09-24-2016, 12:10 PM   #34
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

I've always wished i could get a rail pass and ride Amtrak for a month. I've riden the Amtrak route from Chicago to California and from California up the coast to Seattle. It's not nearly as nice as the trains in the EU, but if you want to get away and spend some days staring out the window it's a great way to travel

Old 09-24-2016, 12:10 PM   #35
ilikeplanets
Socialphobic

It's not outrageously expensive to travel the US if you drive and don't stay in fancy hotels. it's definitely less than a plane ticket round trip. Which is why I've driven around the country and not flown overseas.

Old 09-24-2016, 12:18 PM   #36
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

i drove 1500 miles around Lake Michigan last week. The gas costs me about $100. I slept a couple of nights in my van for free. Vans are the best #vanlife

Old 09-24-2016, 12:18 PM   #37
ilikeplanets
Socialphobic

Edit: spoke too soon

My car is too small to sleep in but we will anyway

Old 09-24-2016, 12:20 PM   #38
ilikeplanets
Socialphobic

Next month I'm going to both Georgia and Tennessee for concerts and back and I'll need less than 100 to do it, probably about 80

Old 09-24-2016, 12:21 PM   #39
ilikeplanets
Socialphobic

Not bad!!! Gas prices leveled back out here

Old 09-24-2016, 12:23 PM   #40
myosis
Minion of Satan

i haven't travelled as much as i've wanted. i've been to most western europe countries (except portugal), greece, usa and eastern canada.

i did visit bruges

Old 09-24-2016, 12:29 PM   #41
ilikeplanets
Socialphobic

Waiting for Foolofatook because he's been to the DMZ the crazy bastid

Old 09-24-2016, 12:30 PM   #42
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikeplanets View Post
Edit: spoke too soon

My car is too small to sleep in but we will anyway
all you need is a small tent. i have a large tent now that we use a queen inflatable mattress in. but back when i drove a honda civic for road trips i used a tiny little cheap tent i bought at walmart.

in the spring i'm getting one of these rooftop tents for my van

Old 09-24-2016, 12:34 PM   #43
ilikeplanets
Socialphobic

Yeah we had a tent! But our neighbors stole the poles to sell for scrap metal -_-

Old 09-24-2016, 02:10 PM   #44
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

LOL wut? that would have been like hardly any metal

Old 09-24-2016, 02:10 PM   #45
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

how much did they get for it? twenty five cents

Old 09-24-2016, 02:25 PM   #46
ilikeplanets
Socialphobic

How do I know? they probably just used em to add weight to their pile. They've taken copper coils and metal gardening supply shit we had outside too. Oh well.

Old 09-24-2016, 02:58 PM   #47
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikeplanets View Post
Tell me about Italy! Ive wanted to go since high school, I am obsessed with the art.
and for a good reason.
it is profusely incredible and mindblowing and impossibly awe inspiring. in fact, to be quite honest, many times i found it to be profoundly overwhelming, just walking around in museums and trying to absorb all that timeless art at once. each and every work is a world of its own. it was carved out of nothingness by virtue of absolute mastery, and i almost felt guilty walking past dozens of works lined up next to each other (particularly at the vatican, for example, or the sistine chapel) and not being able to afford the time and concentration to fully immerse myself in, and fully appreciate, every single work.

i remember quite vividly that in my mind, i compared it to trying to capture the ocean inside a small plastic bottle. the endless variety of such mind blowingly impressive works, it can actually be quite intimidating for me - it just yields a response of surrendering, and admitting i'll never be even half as good as any of those people, and feeling like whatever art i indulge in making, be it painting or music, is fucking sad amateurish bollocks.

yeah sorry, getting bloggy here. anyway, the art is obviously incredible. but even apart from that, italy is probably the single most beautiful place i'd ever been to. it's just magically beautiful, in both nature and city. the streets are quaint and possess an ancient charm i really loved, and the architecture is beautiful and very, very simple (except where it's complex and majestic). i'm a real sucker for european cobblestone streets and all that stuff.

also, FOOD. oh my fucking god. at the time, i remember being slightly disappointed (god, dumb), because from pop culture or what have you, i was under some dumb illusion that any place i'd visit in italy and randomly order a slice of pizza in or something, it'll be the best fucking food i'd ever eaten. well, it obviously wasn't like that (no place could ever be) - but there is not a shred of doubt in my mind that a large majority of the best meals i'd ever had in my life, were there. ridiculous food. seriously, just ridiculous.

oh god why am i going to shanghai? i want italy

Last edited by teh b0lly!!1 : 09-24-2016 at 03:04 PM.

Old 09-24-2016, 04:28 PM   #48
ilikeplanets
Socialphobic

That sounds incredible. Ive only seen pictures of course, but even the pictures make me have an emotional reaction. There's this sublime mix of the human and the otherworldly in Renaissance art, and it really speaks to me. But Italy has just so much history, I can't even pick a favorite era. I want to set foot in Rome, Venice, Florence, everywhere. a historical vacation! I couldn't care less about the Vatican or modern fashion though. if only I could read Italian!

I bet the food and wine are fucking amazing too. Pasta is my favorite food ever, I'll gain 10 pounds if I spend a week there, i know it. although Italian men and women are both gorgeous so that might keep me in check. How important is it to know Italian if you go, because I only know kind of understand Spanish and I'd have to approximate since there are a lot of cognates. Are the people nice?

Old 09-24-2016, 04:52 PM   #49
myosis
Minion of Satan

if you go to rome, venice, florence, you don't really need to know italian...
in the south it might be more useful.

Old 09-24-2016, 04:53 PM   #50
myosis
Minion of Satan

wine is hella cheap. even for 1.50 i would get very decent sangiovese.

Old 09-24-2016, 05:02 PM   #51
ilikeplanets
Socialphobic

About what year was that? Holy crap that's a good price!

Old 09-24-2016, 05:06 PM   #52
myosis
Minion of Satan

last summer.
actually i think i paid 1.79 to make sure it's not the crappiest. that's in a grocery store of course.

Old 09-24-2016, 05:10 PM   #53
myosis
Minion of Satan

Old 09-24-2016, 05:21 PM   #54
myosis
Minion of Satan

mozzarella is also way cheaper than here, of course.
you can go to the open-air market and load up on figs and tomatoes.
in milan we would go to a bar for aperitivo, you order a spritz and they give you stuff to eat along with your drink. it goes easier if you're with some local people...

Old 09-24-2016, 05:49 PM   #55
ilikeplanets
Socialphobic

Wow great picture!! Even the railings are awesome, huh?

Old 09-24-2016, 05:56 PM   #56
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

it's almost as if that picture was stolen from somebody's attic and was brought back to life by a megalomaniac asshole claiming them as his own

Old 09-24-2016, 10:53 PM   #57
TheAeroplane
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco King View Post
I've barely even been anywhere in the country I live in. I've been out of my province once.

Though Canada is vast, so my morning commute to school is probably like going from Vienna to Gothenburg. So I'm actually pretty well traveled.
You're going through the current Canadian educational system ? LoL that explains why you're such a cucked simp on the fast lane to becoming some feminist's little bitch

Old 09-24-2016, 11:09 PM   #58
buzzard
Minion of Satan

The image projected by the above post:

Old 09-24-2016, 11:12 PM   #59
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAeroplane View Post
You're going through the current Canadian educational system ? LoL that explains why you're such a cucked simp on the fast lane to becoming some feminist's little bitch
You do know that there is no "Canadian educational system" as education is handled by the provinces, correct?

Also, you don't need a space before a question mark. My Canadian education taught me that much.

Old 09-25-2016, 07:20 AM   #60
TheAeroplane
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco King View Post
You do know that there is no "Canadian educational system" as education is handled by the provinces, correct?

Also, you don't need a space before a question mark. My Canadian education taught me that much.
Sorry for the extra space there, I forgot I was writing my dissertation in netphoria. Funny how you picked something so trivial since you had no comeback to my actual comment about you being a simp. But since you want to go down that road, fine, it must hurt your sensitive little liberal mind that I speak both official languages of your country while you can't, and that in Québec, people make fun of anglophone Canadians like yourself who can only speak one language and you have your Canadian education to thank for that, you fucking imbecile.