FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

do you have any other way to get ganja?

Old 06-28-2018, 12:39 PM   #7832
yo soy el mejor

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh b0lly!!1 View Post
i see the point of him not owing me shit, but it's just about basic human decency.
nah it's about weed and money.

i bet he wasn't so ugly and bad until he asked you to buy twice as much. i bet lots of people would take that offer and he gets to save time and trips and make his money faster. don't be sore at him.

Old 06-28-2018, 01:25 PM   #7833
FoolofaTook

save time and trips? what is this, a weed delivery service?

Old 06-28-2018, 01:33 PM   #7834
yo soy el mejor

if you're lucky

Old 06-28-2018, 04:49 PM   #7835
ilikeplanets
Braindead

this is making me super glad i don't have to deal with dealers any more. during the last year or so where i was still smoking, i lived in the northwest and could just buy it at a store. and if they were pushy or rude, they'd get in trouble!

Old 06-28-2018, 08:24 PM   #7836
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by yo soy el mejor View Post
i bet he wasn't so ugly and bad until he asked you to buy twice as much.
no, i quite disliked him before that as well.

Old 06-28-2018, 10:40 PM   #7837
Disco King
Minion of Satan

You're not allowed to have your feelings, b0lly. Your feelings are wrong. You should feel bad about your feelings.

Old 06-28-2018, 10:49 PM   #7838
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

One time I turned up at the local gang run shop in my school uniform with my friend, only to be told "Nah we don't sell to kids in uniform" I'm like WTF what are you now, a fucking church or something, dammit, give me the fucking weed

But like, the dude was Maori and bigger than me with the leather and tattoos so I was like oh ok then sorry to bother you, good day

Old 06-28-2018, 11:03 PM   #7839
LaBelle
Socialphobic

When I was a kid I was biking on the beach and it was especially hot. I walked into a bar and asked for a glass of water.

The clear liquid the giddy old man poured me wasn't water, it was vodka. I ran away traumatized.

Old 06-28-2018, 11:10 PM   #7840
redbreegull

labelle was an early bloomer

Old 06-28-2018, 11:30 PM   #7841
FoolofaTook

telegrass is awesome. it's like a weed store, only online. it was so easy to meet a dude.

i want to live in israel now.

Old 06-29-2018, 11:20 AM   #7842
yo soy el mejor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBelle View Post
When I was a kid I was biking on the beach and it was especially hot. I walked into a bar and asked for a glass of water.

The clear liquid the giddy old man poured me wasn't water, it was vodka. I ran away traumatized.
ya when i was 12 i was spending the summer with my 18 year old cousin and her 30 year old husband and he left a glass of tea on the counter. it was real hot and the cup looked good with all that condensation so i sneaked a swig and it was scotch.

i still hate scotch. is makes me :s

Old 06-29-2018, 11:25 AM   #7843
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Location: I’ve been trying to move to the Nordic countries for 5 years but the cost is astronomical to become an expatriate

30 year old husband.

Shit.

Old 06-29-2018, 11:32 AM   #7844
yo soy el mejor

yeah, they met when she was an employee and he the manager at a pizza place. then they started their own cleaning business. then they had a kid who turned out to have autism. that spunoff into her starting a non-profit. then they divorced. then she moved to california and became a civil rights attorney.

he married another woman at one point but it didn't work out cause he stayed so close to my cousin and the other lady couldn't take it. dude even followed her to california. he and my cousin's new husband are extremely close. she doesn't let any negative bullshit around her son, which i admire.

Old 06-30-2018, 10:26 PM   #7845
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

Booked our one-way tickets home, to New Zealand. Feeling a weird mix of excitement, dread, and sadness, and relief.

Old 07-01-2018, 01:41 AM   #7846
buzzard
Minion of Satan

shihad - home again.mp3

Old 07-01-2018, 09:43 PM   #7847
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by vixnix View Post
Booked our one-way tickets home, to New Zealand. Feeling a weird mix of excitement, dread, and sadness, and relief.
AI YOU

Old 07-02-2018, 12:55 AM   #7848
vixnix
Socialphobic

I know. We fly out on December 24. It’s not what we thought we would be doing, when we left Sydney. So much has changed, in just a year.

Old 07-02-2018, 01:10 AM   #7849
vixnix
Socialphobic

I don’t want to go home to New Zealand but I don’t really want to stay, either, if I’m honest. It’s starting to affect me, living in this stratified society. I need to move back to a place where employing low cost live in help is considered both against the law and against any kind of sane human moral code.

Because every day longer that I’m here, the “oh but it would just be so much easier” voice in my head gets a little more convincing.

The lady doing my nails at the salon the other day was complaining about her maid.
“Drop off children, can, but pickup I cannot. So, my husband can go. If my husband cannot, then no choice, must send maid. But always send also mother in law. Because Mother in law can watch. Otherwise, if maid alone, she cannot watch! Maybe she see friend and then chat chat chat lah. No watching!”

A year ago I would have been like “You have a maid?”

Now I’m like, “Yeah, true.”

I need to get out

Old 07-02-2018, 01:29 AM   #7850
FoolofaTook

or you could just hire me, the friendly neighborhood felon!

Old 07-02-2018, 01:30 AM   #7851
FoolofaTook

btw do you see any connection between paying someone to do your nails and paying someone to clean your toilet?

Old 07-02-2018, 02:28 AM   #7852
vixnix
Socialphobic

Sort of. I pay people to do both - we employ a cleaner. But we pay our cleaner $100 per week, and it takes her between 4-5 hours. I pay $40 for a manicure.

A maid is paid usually $700/month, to work 7:00am - 7:00pm, Monday-Saturday. And all sorts of tasks, walking the dog, grocery shopping, cooking all meals and cleaning up afterwards, keeping the house spotless, ironing, childcare, caring for elderly parents, etc.

So the difference is how much is paid, for the labour.

There are other differences - our cleaner used to work as a maid for an employer that required her to cut her hair very short, and wear a uniform. Maids also often have curfews even on their days off, and the maid’s room in our apartment only locks from our side, so if we had a maid and she lived in the designated maid’s room, we could lock her in, but she couldn’t lock us out.

There’s a big difference between outsourcing things at your own expense, and significantly lowering those expenses by exploiting somebody else’s vulnerability for your own advantage, which is what I feel having a maid is all about. That show I feel about it, anyway. Though the longer I live here, the more acceptable it seems to me...I think it’s just becoming desensitised to it, and having it be normal here.

Old 07-02-2018, 02:31 AM   #7853
vixnix
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoolofaTook View Post
or you could just hire me, the friendly neighborhood felon!
My husband often joked about getting a trio of maids, of varying physicality and ethnicity so there was always one who seemed attractive and any one time, but sadly I don’t recall him mentioning a desire for one that was male, Serbian and 6’6” ...

Old 07-02-2018, 03:27 AM   #7854
FoolofaTook

Angry

Quote:
our cleaner used to work as a maid for an employer that required her to cut her hair very short.
nvm i'm good.

Old 07-02-2018, 03:59 AM   #7855
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

Smile

Quote:
I don’t want to go home to New Zealand but I don’t really want to stay, either, if I’m honest. It’s starting to affect me, living in this stratified society. I need to move back to a place where employing low cost live in help is considered both against the law and against any kind of sane human moral code.

Because every day longer that I’m here, the “oh but it would just be so much easier” voice in my head gets a little more convincing.

The lady doing my nails at the salon the other day was complaining about her maid.
“Drop off children, can, but pickup I cannot. So, my husband can go. If my husband cannot, then no choice, must send maid. But always send also mother in law. Because Mother in law can watch. Otherwise, if maid alone, she cannot watch! Maybe she see friend and then chat chat chat lah. No watching!”

A year ago I would have been like “You have a maid?”

Now I’m like, “Yeah, true.”

I need to get out
Quote:
Sort of. I pay people to do both - we employ a cleaner. But we pay our cleaner $100 per week, and it takes her between 4-5 hours. I pay $40 for a manicure.

A maid is paid usually $700/month, to work 7:00am - 7:00pm, Monday-Saturday. And all sorts of tasks, walking the dog, grocery shopping, cooking all meals and cleaning up afterwards, keeping the house spotless, ironing, childcare, caring for elderly parents, etc.

So the difference is how much is paid, for the labour.

There are other differences - our cleaner used to work as a maid for an employer that required her to cut her hair very short, and wear a uniform. Maids also often have curfews even on their days off, and the maid’s room in our apartment only locks from our side, so if we had a maid and she lived in the designated maid’s room, we could lock her in, but she couldn’t lock us out.

There’s a big difference between outsourcing things at your own expense, and significantly lowering those expenses by exploiting somebody else’s vulnerability for your own advantage, which is what I feel having a maid is all about. That show I feel about it, anyway. Though the longer I live here, the more acceptable it seems to me...I think it’s just becoming desensitised to it, and having it be normal here.

i completely understand what you're talking about, and yeah, it is indeed shitty.

i think you needn't put yourself down for feeling temptation; it is only natural that you do. taking care of three kids and a husband is next level all-consuming. you'd be kind of a fool not to occasionally ponder if it really would be that bad to take the shortcut like everybody else does. but what makes you different is that you continually realize and remind yourself that it's ugly and wrong.

i had good friends from back home who used to live here, and they would bring in help ("ayi") like once a week. now, forget about the fact that i don't even believe a childless young couple who can physically afford to look after themselves should get other people to clean up their shit; what really got me, is that when that help did come, they would kind of engage anglosaxon tyrant mode, and stay in while the lady was cleaning to 'keep close watch' on her, order her around, give her assignments and tell her where they thought she wasn't doing a good enough job. my friend's wife even went so far as to offhandedly tell me one time how her maid has been 'slacking off' and how she's gonna kick her ass and make sure she gets her money's worth or whatever. paraphrasing. regardless of the words, that was the gist of it.

that thing you once posted here about the importance of not ever forgetting the piece of shit you really are, really stuck with me; despite the layer of humor in it, i really do believe it to be true. the fact that you're thinking about the fundamental unfairness of it all, and that you're able to have the empathy to see why your guestroom door lock would be inhumane towards anyone who's under your employment - it makes all the difference. just make sure you don't lose that, and you're ok. and, at the risk of being a huge cheeseball, i will add - thank you for having that struggle.

this outlandish type of mercilessness that's found in asian countries, it really is incredibly hard to fathom and even more so, to accommodate. in my first year here i would be walking down the street and i'd literally burst into choking, ugly tears seeing caged cats, sad, miserable dogs with tails between their legs, ducks or birds in tiny rusty cages by the roadside... crabs tied up with rubberbands placed inside giant fridges at the supermarket, so people can have their shit fresh. i couldn't and still can't understand how none of that gets through to them; how their judgement doesn't kick in, how do they not see their own cruelty, both towards animal life and one another. it was absolutely heartbreaking each time anew, and it still kind of is. but my reaction to it has diminished over the years, because i understood that i simply can't allow to come apart every time i see something unfortunate or unjust that is so beyond my control and that i can do nothing to change. deep down i guess i think it made me a slightly worse human; slightly more indifferent, going along with the endless herd. but injustice will happen whether or not i am there to prevent it, or to witness it. that's vanity. it sucks, it's shit, it's ugly, but ultimately it's the truth. i guess i try to remind myself of that.

anyway, december is still a few months away, so make the best of what you can while you're still there - it's a beautiful country with a lot to offer, so now that the end is in sight, the bullshit may hopefully get a bit easier to ignore. in a 5 month span who knows, we may finally be able to fulfill that netpho promise and fulfill that meetup.

fangsong la!

Old 07-02-2018, 10:59 PM   #7856
vixnix
Socialphobic

xiexie tb

It's very comforting to know that someone knows what it's like, all the weirdness and horrifying bits.

I wrote a big reply but then lost it Basically just more ranting and vigorous agreeing with you.

Scoot has a special to Tianjin today...I'm thinking about getting a six month multiple entry visa and then doing some weekends. But it's all Shenzhen, Guangzhou, Hong Kong that's cheap. Would you travel to Tianjin?? Think of the jianbing...

Old 07-03-2018, 07:51 PM   #7857
Disco King
Minion of Satan

A coworker just texted me his number.

Old 07-03-2018, 08:41 PM   #7858
slunken
Virgo

slack won't load in my browser and i want to talk shit

Old 07-03-2018, 10:06 PM   #7859
Elphenor
Braindead

damn how long has been Slack going now