Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09-08-2018, 10:41 PM   #1
NovaFritz
Apocalyptic Poster

Default How’s Billy gonna blow it?

With all of this chatter of Billy getting back media sympathy, reconnecting with fans, etc ., it appears that Bill and co. have plans to record new music, try new tours and so on. But we also know that the Shiny tour is almost over and that the mystery and euphoria of reunion will dissipate. This raises the question - how will Bill blow it. Who will he start blaming and when? Who will quit/ be fired in anger?

My bet is that he going to start shit talking Iha in interviews, dwelling on the past, diminishing him, and compel him to quit again. This will be complete after a small summer festival tour next summer, probably in South America.

Old 09-08-2018, 11:57 PM   #2
fuzzyroes
Banned

Everything depends on the quality of the new music. If the new music is great, the buzz from the tour will carry on. If the music is mediocre or lackluster, the audiences will fizzle and the success of the reunion will be forgotten within 3 or 4 years.

You can look at Stone Temple Pilots trajectory. They reformed and did an arena tour playing oldies and they sold out the biggest arenas everywhere... Then they released their new music which while having 1 hit song didn't move the needle much and their next tour was in smaller arenas and the attendance was almost cut in half and then a year or 2 after that they were playing in amphitheaters and then finally the band broke up again and carried on with other singers.

Point is, you usually can only hit a market once doing the reunion thing. After that, you gotta have something new to offer.... Unless it's like Rolling Stones or Paul McCartney

Old 09-09-2018, 12:02 AM   #3
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!

no one is at these shows because of new music. it's a total nostalgia fest, and if billy is willing to keep doing that, he will probably continue to be pretty successful. it works for most artists.

Old 09-09-2018, 12:09 AM   #4
fuzzyroes
Banned

It works for artists on the county fair circuit. But it's not gonna work in arenas with astronomical ticket prices for a 2nd time in the same markets. You gotta have something new and different to offer.

Maybe if he did a Siamese Dream or MCIS tour he could have another go round.

He finally has the publics ear again. A lot is riding on this new music. Hopefully it doesn't suck as much as Solara.

Old 09-09-2018, 12:14 AM   #5
redbreegull

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyroes View Post
It works for artists on the county fair circuit. But it's not gonna work in arenas with astronomical ticket prices for a 2nd time in the same markets. You gotta have something new and different to offer.
yeah, classic rock arena bands have never done tons of greatest hits tours to massive success. that def has not happened

Old 09-09-2018, 12:17 AM   #6
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post
yeah, classic rock arena bands have never done tons of greatest hits tours to massive success. that def has not happened
Not as many as you'd think. Even Journey and Def Lepard are having to join forces in order to create interest after wearing out the nostalgia markets and even their new tour isn't some big smash success.

Motley Crew is another example of a band who had HUGE crowds during their initial reunion and then kept on coming back with pretty severe diminishing results.

Old 09-09-2018, 12:10 AM   #7
buzzard
Minion of Satan

There's nothing to blow.

Have at that phrasing, by the way.

Old 09-14-2018, 05:00 PM   #8
killtrocity
Saturday Night Goth

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard View Post
There's nothing to blow.

Have at that phrasing, by the way.[/color]
That's what she... oh... nice

Old 09-09-2018, 12:15 AM   #9
fuzzyroes
Banned

He could also maybe do the same shtick 3 or 4 years down the road in the same markets that were hit on the Shiny tour if he joins forces with another semi-big 90's act. Pairing up with a group like Janes Addiction or Weezer would probably lengthen his rope on the successful nostalgia peddling.

Old 09-09-2018, 12:15 AM   #10
redbreegull

he has never made the effort to cultivate a dedicated perennial fanbase like pearl jam. WE are the hardcore fans. the people at the shows are like happy families with their kids in tow, the same way my dad took me to see like fuckin aerosmith and kiss in the 90s. guess what they played? like 1 new song each time and then all the greatest hits.

Old 09-09-2018, 12:20 AM   #11
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
he has never made the effort to cultivate a dedicated perennial fanbase like pearl jam. WE are the hardcore fans. the people at the shows are like happy families with their kids in tow, the same way my dad took me to see like fuckin aerosmith and kiss in the 90s. guess what they played? like 1 new song each time and then all the greatest hits.
Well a little newsflash for you RBG, last time Kiss came to town, they had to play the minor league hockey facility... They haven't been selling out or even playing the prestigious enormodomes in (most markets)in a long time. They're another example of a band peddling the same formula to the same markets to exceedingly diminishing results.

Old 09-09-2018, 12:34 AM   #12
redbreegull

Quote:
Well a little newsflash for you RBG, last time Kiss came to town, they had to play the minor league hockey facility... They haven't been selling out or even playing the prestigious enormodomes in (most markets)in a long time. They're another example of a band peddling the same formula to the same markets to exceedingly diminishing results.
they are 20 years older than SP dumbass.

Old 09-09-2018, 12:44 AM   #13
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
they are 20 years older than SP dumbass.
Aside from Chili Peppers, what 80's and 90's bands are having big success doing oldies tours time and time again?

List is small!

Old 09-09-2018, 12:48 AM   #14
redbreegull

Quote:
You think Billy is gonna be happy doing the oldies thing in theaters?

Get real bro.
again, all I said was the nostalgia angle works, not what billy would do

Quote:
Aside from Chili Peppers, what 80's and 90's bands are having big success doing oldies tours time and time again?

List is small!
Pearl Jam is the ONLY one who has been successful NOT doing oldies tours. They can basically pull out any song from their discography on any given night. If you went and saw Weezer, you don't think Weezer plays mostly their hits and fan favorites?

"Get real bro."

That's what nearly every old act does

Old 09-09-2018, 12:28 AM   #15
fuzzyroes
Banned

Name me the bands that formed in the 70's on that are successfully consistently touring a greatest hits show to the same markets with any consistency... It's not a big list. Hell, a lot of the names that pop to my mind aren't even touring much anymore.

So who is there....

There's Fleetwood Mac, The Eagles, Roger Waters, Paul Simon, Bon Jovi, Red Hot Chili Peppers... Not many brother.

*of course I'm talking arena tours here. Of course there's tons of groups that make pretty good coin peddling nostalgia in clubs and theaters*

Old 09-09-2018, 12:36 AM   #16
redbreegull

Quote:
*of course I'm talking arena tours here. Of course there's tons of groups that make pretty good coin peddling nostalgia in clubs and theaters*
then stop arguing about nothing you idiot. I didn't say they could do arenas on every tour. I said the nostalgia angle would keep them afloat.

Old 09-09-2018, 12:44 AM   #17
fuzzyroes
Banned

You think Billy is gonna be happy doing the oldies thing in clubs and theaters?

Get real bro.

Old 09-09-2018, 12:50 AM   #18
fuzzyroes
Banned

Weezer isn't playing arenas homey

Old 09-09-2018, 12:51 AM   #19
redbreegull

man you really can't fucking read, can you

Old 09-09-2018, 12:54 AM   #20
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
man you really can't fucking read, can you
You're missing the point Red.... Billy has no interest in doing the nostalgia thing to play in theaters and clubs. Billy's aim is to be in the same playing field as PJ and Radiohead. Now that he's had this massive success with the reunion, he believes it's obtainable.

That's what this thread is entirely about... You're just trying to bait me in order to get me banned from this forum like the gen forums.

Old 09-09-2018, 12:55 AM   #21
redbreegull

Quote:
You're missing the point Red.... Billy has no interest in doing the nostalgia thing to play in theaters and clubs. Billy's aim is to be in the same playing field as PJ and Radiohead. Now that he's had this massive success with the reunion, he believes it's obtainable.

That's what this thread is entirely about... You're just trying to bait me in order to get me banned from this forum like the gen forums.
no, you made up some point that wasn't the original point in order to win because you are an illiterate ego driven cave person

Old 09-09-2018, 12:56 AM   #22
redbreegull

Quote:
https://media1.tenor.com/images/9e3b...temid=10746499

http://gifimage.net/wp-content/uploa...ions-gif-6.gif

Old 09-09-2018, 12:52 AM   #23
redbreegull

you think education is worthless but you can't even identify a fucking thesis statement

Quote:
no one is at these shows because of new music. it's a total nostalgia fest, and if billy is willing to keep doing that, he will probably continue to be pretty successful. it works for most artists.

Old 09-09-2018, 01:07 AM   #24
fuzzyroes
Banned

https://media1.tenor.com/images/f704...itemid=4404675

Old 09-09-2018, 02:00 AM   #25
thomas_bland
Ownz

The fact they're only playing Milan / London in Europe means they can exploit Germany/ France / Spain for festivals next year should they carry on.

How will Bill ruin it? Difficult to say. Wouldn't slagging off Iha undo the good will? Would Jim stick around if Bill went back to his old ways? The most likely scenario seems to be that it goes quiet following the tour and there's a lack of will to pick up the reins now everyone's accounts are topped up.

At least for a year or two. I'd be surprised if Bill takes Jeff at al on the road as SP without Jamea/Jim.

Old 09-09-2018, 03:42 AM   #26
vajohna
Ownz

He’ll lash out that he isn’t given enough credit, isn’t accepted by his peers — the standard Richard Nixon schtick. The man’s got no self-esteem.

Old 09-09-2018, 04:06 AM   #27
enthusaroo
Apocalyptic Poster

slow and deep

Old 09-09-2018, 05:02 AM   #28
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster

He will release a solo album next year, Jimmy will do the same. James will get busy with something else. He will try to get both of them back, they won't have the time to spend in the band by Billy's demand, he will get pissed, promoters will only offer small venues/affordable tickets, billy will be "I don't really know what makes sense any more," "I think you have to come to a place where you say, if you continue you continue with a particular vision, not keep rolling with the tide. Because the tide as it is I don't think it's that great. I'm not saying that the audience isn't great, or that the band isn't great. Something about it all feels a little too nicey nice. I'm not in a rock and roll band to be nice nice. It's just not my thing."

It will only work of he accepts the band is not gonna more than 4 thousand people to come and see them, specially if the tickets costs them an arm and a leg.

Old 09-09-2018, 10:38 AM   #29
NovaFritz
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forgotten Child View Post
He will release a solo album next year, Jimmy will do the same. James will get busy with something else. He will try to get both of them back, they won't have the time to spend in the band by Billy's demand, he will get pissed, promoters will only offer small venues/affordable tickets, billy will be "I don't really know what makes sense any more," "I think you have to come to a place where you say, if you continue you continue with a particular vision, not keep rolling with the tide. Because the tide as it is I don't think it's that great. I'm not saying that the audience isn't great, or that the band isn't great. Something about it all feels a little too nicey nice. I'm not in a rock and roll band to be nice nice. It's just not my thing."

It will only work of he accepts the band is not gonna more than 4 thousand people to come and see them, specially if the tickets costs them an arm and a leg.
This all sounds pretty plausible to me. I can’t help but think the lack of Iha in the Solara studio mix vs live mix is a harbinger of Billy’s refusal to collaborate with any other guitarists - only the solo road lies open.

Old 09-09-2018, 01:37 PM   #30
slayed23
Ownz

Smashing Pumpkins as long as there is Billy Corgan could literally tour their hits for 30 more years in large theatres that hold 2,000 to 3,000 people. They are a big enough name that there will always be that many dedicated fans.

In order to keep success in arenas, they need more good new music . That is a bigger key than keeping James and Jimmy (although that is important too). All those people that came because of the nostalgia need a reason to go back again. Those are the people that will fill arenas. They are listening. Need good music.