Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > General Chat Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List

Old 03-21-2003, 10:48 AM   #1
severin
no more than sympathy

Default 1400 protesters arrested

in san francisco in one single day....and now don't tell me, that all of those were looting and causing trouble.

isn't it nice, to live in a coutnry which fights for freedom and democracy, and denies it's people those exact same things, either by direct intervention or by building up social pressure. isn't it nice, that anti-war celebrities like susan sarandon and george clooney have not been invited to the oscars this year, because they might sned out anti-war messages? isn't it nice, that people get arrested for stating their anti-war opinion. it really seems to me, that the us government and parts of it's society have a very strange concept of what "freedom" means

Old 03-21-2003, 01:21 PM   #2
Mayfuck
Banned

Thumbs down

If the Oscars barred pro-War celebrities from the ceremony you wouldn't be complaining. Whoever runs the Oscars has the right to believe whatever they want. If it was the government barring anti-War people from jobs then there would be outrage, but this is just the Oscars for fucks sake. And the protesters in San Fransisco we're arrested not because they were expressing idea, but because they were disrputing traffic and trying to shut down the financial district. They were obstructing businesses and creating public safety hazards. So stop trying to make the U.S. out to be the police state that it isn't.

Old 03-21-2003, 02:15 PM   #3
Nimrod's Son
Master of Karate and Friendship

Traditionally, the Oscars want to focus on the movies and not on politics. They would prefer to keep ALL political discussions out.

As for Clooney and Sarandon, you know, they would have been invited if they were actually nominated for anything. I guess Clooney doesn't have to worry about making room for that "Solaris" oscar.

Old 03-21-2003, 02:31 PM   #4
killer_tomato
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally posted by Nimrod's Son
Traditionally, the Oscars want to focus on the movies and not on politics. They would prefer to keep ALL political discussions out.

As for Clooney and Sarandon, you know, they would have been invited if they were actually nominated for anything. I guess Clooney doesn't have to worry about making room for that "Solaris" oscar.
people should be allowed to express their views, and at the oscars they have a short time for doing that while receiving awards and stuff. sending people away because of what they want to say is just stupid.
oh, and i'm getting tired of discussing things with morons like you.

Old 03-21-2003, 02:45 PM   #5
Nimrod's Son

Quote:
Originally posted by killer_tomato

people should be allowed to express their views, and at the oscars they have a short time for doing that while receiving awards and stuff. sending people away because of what they want to say is just stupid.
oh, and i'm getting tired of discussing things with morons like you.
The Oscars is not the place for political discussions.. it's an awards show to give awards to actors, directors and movie makers. People should be allowed to express their views, of course. But the Oscars doesn't need to provide a forum for them. It's not the proper place for any of it. The short time they have on stage should be about the award they received - to talk polictics is to forget everyone who helped them to get that recognition in the first place.
Oh, and you're tired of discussing things because your flimsy arguments aren't holding up.

Old 03-21-2003, 03:18 PM   #6
Best Looking Boy
Apocalyptic Poster

Naive post julio, you're smarter than that.

Old 03-21-2003, 05:01 PM   #7
Mayfuck
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Best Looking Boy
Naive post julio, you're smarter than that.
What? severin was trying to make it look like the U.S. is an oppressive police state, when the fact is many of those protesters were breaking store windows, threatening cops, vandalizing cities. There has also been a bit of police brutality, but in unweildy situations like that there is going to be crime nad the police are only doing their job.

Old 03-21-2003, 05:02 PM   #8
Best Looking Boy
Apocalyptic Poster

the part about the oscars

Old 03-21-2003, 05:04 PM   #9
Mayfuck
Banned

Martin Sheen is gonna be at the Oscars.

Maybe George Clooney and Susan Sarandon are just fucking idiots?

Old 03-21-2003, 05:07 PM   #10
Best Looking Boy
Apocalyptic Poster

maybe i'm just in love

Old 03-21-2003, 07:41 PM   #11
sickbadthing
Out fart the hottie!

It says it right there in the constitution:

ALL MOVIE STARS, NO MATTER WHAT THEIR POLITICAL AFFILIATION MAY BE, SHALL BE GRANTED ENTRANCE AND ALLOWED TO ATTEND THE MOST SPECTACULAR NIGHT IN HOLLYWOOD!

Jesus people you need some U.S. history 101.

Old 03-21-2003, 07:45 PM   #12
Nidhogg
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally posted by Mayfuck
And the protesters in San Fransisco we're arrested not because they were expressing idea, but because they were disrputing traffic and trying to shut down the financial district. They were obstructing businesses and creating public safety hazards. So stop trying to make the U.S. out to be the police state that it isn't.

Old 03-21-2003, 08:04 PM   #13
Future Boy
The Man of Tomorrow

I believe Susan Sarandon will be presenting at the Oscars. The producer said he has no plans to tell anyone not to speak their mind, but they really shoudlnt deviate from the script. Know what your talking about before you speak, it makes you sound stupid if you just blather on.

Want to know the beauty about this country as opposed to others? Your post is titled 1400 protesters arrested, not 1400 protesters slaughtered, there's your freedom.

Old 03-21-2003, 08:06 PM   #14
Nimrod's Son

Quote:
Originally posted by Future Boy
Want to know the beauty about this country as opposed to others? Your post is titled 1400 protesters arrested, not 1400 protesters slaughtered, there's your freedom.
Right on.