Minion of Satan

Default 13 April 2008 - D&C Section 38:9

MEMO

TO: MT

RE: Section 38: 9 Questions

DATE: April 13, 2008

SHORT ANSWER

Question Presented.

Read Section 38: 9 and answer the following questions: what would I do if this happens today? What would I do with this if it happens today? How would I handle this if it would happen today?

Short Answer.

I would hope that before it happened, I had “gone to with my might” and prepared myself and my family to receive God’s Promise.

ANALYSIS

I. If ye Seek, ye shall Find.

The first part of Section 38: 9 reads: “And if ye seek the riches which it is the will of the Father to give unto you, ye shall be the richest of all people; for ye shall have the riches of eternity; and it must needs be that the riches of the earth are mine to give.” (emphasis added).

This is a constant theme in the scriptures Fn 1. For example, see: DC 85: 16; Psalm 145: 18; Jacob 4:8-10; Alma 17:80-82; Isaiah 58: 9-12; Isaiah 64: 4, 5; Isaiah 65: 1, 24; I N 1: 47, 48, 53; Psalm 22: 26; I N 3: 26; Isaiah 26: 8, 9; Isaiah 55: 2, 3; Alma 9: 15-18; Alma 14: 103, 104; Alma 19: 32, 40; Psalm 40: 16-17; Psalm 145: 18, 19; Proverbs 8: 17; Proverbs 18: 1; Jeremiah 29: 12, 13; Jeremiah 33: 2, 3; Acts 17; 27; Ether 5: 41; Moroni 7: 18; Mosaiah 2: 45; Mormon 4: 84; Hebrews 11: 1-6; Deuteronomy 4: 29; DC 94: 1. and in God’s dealings with man, from the earliest parts of the Bible and throughout the Book of Mormon, etc. Consider James 4: 8: “Draw nigh to God, and he will draw night to you. Cleanse your hands, ye sinners; and purify your hearts, ye doubleminded.” This scripture makes plain the mechanics of what we sometimes hear described as “finding God.”

It’s very simple. The more desire someone has and the more diligently they seek God in every thought, word, and deed, and the more persistent someone is to read the scripture, the more God will reveal to that person. We know that it must be so because it is written over and over by God’s prophets. And we know that God must keep Her Word. As is Her custom, Fn. 2 For example, see: John 4: 36; John 1: 12; Luke 6: 35, 37, 47-48; Mark 4: 20; Genesis 17: 1-2; DC 10: 10a-b; DC 76: 2a-b. God gives us a commandment, and grants a covenant immediately after. He says, “If you do this, I must do this.”

So the challenge is to us in these Last Days and there is an immediate Promise attached if we take up this challenge.

II. But beware of Pride.

The next part of Section 38: 9 reads: “but beware of pride, lest ye become as the Nephites of old.”

The word “beware” lets us know that this part of the verse stands as a warning. This is a personal warning directed specifically to those who are actively pursuing God as described in Section One of this Memorandum. God mentions the Nephites. What is he talking about?

The Nephite civilization went through a series of cycles. Anyone who has read the Book of Mormon all the way through can identify these cycles. The cycle runs roughly as follows: 1) Nephites grow meek and lowly, under the leadership of one of the prophets; 2) Nephites prosper temporally, mentally, and spiritually, and have all of the fine things and “riches” of the earth, as described in Section 38:9; 3) Nephites grow prideful in their riches and begin to compete with one another and there are rich and poor; 4) Nephites are destroyed through disaster.

If we are to take God at Their Word and seek the “riches of eternity” we must be prepared so that we can avoid what happened to the Nephites. If we are unprepared, we will risk following in the disastrous example of the Nephites. What we must be prepared to do is to avoid pride and to keep it from our hearts, and to never seek to benefit the self at the expense of others. The scriptures are very plain in stating that pride inevitably brings destruction. Fn. 3. See, e.g., Heleman 4: 47-57; Jacob 2: 14-28; Jacob 3: 104-108; Luke 14: 11; Moroni 8:1; Proverbs 16: 18, 19; IV Nephi 26-28, 51, 52; Mormon 1: 56; Mormon 2: 27; II Nephi 9: 114; III Nephi 7: 34, 35.

III. Commandment: every man go to with his might.

The final part of Section 38: 9 reads: “And again I say unto you, I give unto you a commandment, that every man, both elder, priest, teacher, and also member, go to with his might, with the labor of his hands, to prepare and accomplish the things which I have commanded. And let your preaching be the warning voice, every man to his neighbor, in mildness and in meekness. And go ye out from among the wicked. Save yourselves. Be ye clean that bear the vessels of the Lord. Even so. Amen.”

This part of the verse is a commandment that does not leave anyone out. While it specifically identifies “every man," under the usage of the time when Section 38 was written (January 1831), it is likely that “every man” is meant to also in.clude “every woman.” In any case, the verse issues the command to “members.”

What is the commandment? It is to prepare. What does it mean to prepare? Answers.com gives us this definition: “1. To make ready beforehand for a specific purpose, as for an event or occasion: The teacher prepared the students for the exams; 2) To put together or make by combining various elements or ingredients; manufacture or compound: prepared a meal; prepared the lecture; 3) To fit out; equip: prepare the ship for an arctic expedition.” Fn. 4. http://www.answers.com/topic/prepare.

Conclusion.

After reading Section 38: 9, what would I do if this happens today? The answer is that I would hope that, before it happened, I had “gone to with my might” and prepared myself and my family to receive God’s Promise.

Old 11-21-2020, 01:14 AM   #2
Raskolnikov
Apocalyptic Poster

Bot post or some Monte relic?

Old 11-21-2020, 02:06 AM   #3
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

Unhappy

growing pains

Old 11-21-2020, 11:31 AM   #4
smashingjj
real estate cowboy