Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10-17-2016, 06:23 PM   #31
ilikeplanets
Braindead

Mars is my least favorite planet, snore

Old 10-17-2016, 06:25 PM   #32
ilikeplanets
Braindead

I think terraforming is a waste of time right now anyway. Look smaller. Infinitesimally smaller.

Old 10-17-2016, 06:49 PM   #33
myosis
Minion of Satan

what's up bonnie?

Old 10-17-2016, 06:50 PM   #34
myosis
Minion of Satan

i held a mars bar not 24 hours ago

Old 10-17-2016, 07:00 PM   #35
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohnoitsbonnie View Post
What is the point of sending humans when we can send (and work on) sterile robots to send in order to learn more? I really dislike you
Robots, at least the ones we have right now, are inferior to humans for learning about other environments. We just send them because we don't have the tech to send humans.

Humans can problem solve and can recognize interesting data without being instructed to look for it first. We would learn a lot more about Mars if we could send humans up there instead of robots.

I guess keeping things sterile would be a problem. I could see them sending back a Mars rock and getting us excited that we found evidence of life when all they did is contaminate it with their grubby gross human hands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elphenor View Post
I don't think there's any reason to send a person to Mars the fact that we may gain scientific progress anytime the gov invests in a scientific pursuit is irrelevant
Well, I mean, I don't see the point of not doing it. I think learning shit is cool for it's own sake, regardless of whether or not it has technological implications. And a lot of the time, things we think will be useless end up being useful anyway.

Quote:
Lifting people out of poverty is not a great selling point for science funding we need someone giving us the deuces from another planet
I don't know what this post means but a really tiny fraction on the U.S.'s budget goes to NASA (like, half a percent) even though so many people complain "why are we putting all this money doing shit that doesn't help people in space when we could be solving poverty and stuff."

If the U.S. stopped subsidizing Big Oil and shit like that, they could raise people out of poverty and increase NASA's funding. Hell, the U.S. bank bailout exceeded the fifty-year NASA budget.

Old 10-17-2016, 07:04 PM   #36
LaBelle
Socialphobic

they have been terraforming earth for years already! what do you think are chemtrails for???

FOLLOW THE MONEY!

Old 10-17-2016, 07:08 PM   #37
Disco King
Minion of Satan

"Climate change" is a ruse by the Chinese so that they can implement "green energy" technologies that will use up the sun, the wind, and the Earth's core to terraform the Earth in order to make the environment more amenable to the thriving of Chinese people so that the rest of use die off and they can invade every niche and overpopulate the world.

Old 10-17-2016, 07:14 PM   #38
LaBelle
Socialphobic

Why do you guys think tehbolly wants to stay in China of all places?

Wake up sheeple.

Old 10-17-2016, 07:15 PM   #39
duovamp
Brazilian Blouselord

Quote:
Let's send you into deep space ala voyager and see how far you get
There are a few people volunteering.

Old 10-17-2016, 07:17 PM   #40
Elphenor
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco King View Post

I don't know what this post means but a really tiny fraction on the U.S.'s budget goes to NASA (like, half a percent) even though so many people complain "why are we putting all this money doing shit that doesn't help people in space when we could be solving poverty and stuff."
I think we should dramatically increase our funding for science because it's pretty beneficial in every aspect to know more stuff, but I also think specifically having people live on Mars is not worth it

Old 10-17-2016, 07:24 PM   #41
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

we don't have the tech to seriously terraform any planet right now except our own.

people should go wherever we can send them.... for science. People will pay to go to Mars in the future, even if it means spending a month or two inside a small dome before flying back home.

Living on Mars will be a lot like living on the South Pole. People do that today, but none of them want to stay there for more than a short time. It's not much fun.

Old 10-17-2016, 07:26 PM   #42
ohnoitsbonnie
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottytheoneand View Post
we don't have the tech to seriously terraform any planet right now except our own.

people should go wherever we can send them.... for science. People will pay to go to Mars in the future, even if it means spending a month or two inside a small dome before flying back home.

Living on Mars will be a lot like living on the South Pole. People do that today, but none of them want to stay there for more than a short time. It's not much fun.
You can still go outside without a spacesuit in the south pole

Old 10-17-2016, 07:26 PM   #43
ohnoitsbonnie
Banned

Quote:
I think we should dramatically increase our funding for science because it's pretty beneficial in every aspect to know more stuff, but I also think specifically having people live on Mars is not worth it
I so agree with you in this thread

Old 10-17-2016, 07:27 PM   #44
ohnoitsbonnie
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by myosis View Post
what's up bonnie?
Nm just ranting about stuff. Hbu

Old 10-17-2016, 07:34 PM   #45
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

If we put air ships in the upper atmosphere of Venus the gravity and atmospheric pressure would be nearly the same as here on Earth. Humans would be able to live in them and feel nearly the same gravity as home.

http://www.universetoday.com/wp-cont...le-580x401.jpg

Old 10-17-2016, 07:35 PM   #46
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

Quote:
You can still go outside without a spacesuit in the south pole
you need a huge amount of gear, though. but my point is made. nobody wants to actually live indefinitely on the South Pole

Old 10-17-2016, 07:37 PM   #47
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

it's actually colder on Earth's south pole than most days at Mars's equator

Old 10-17-2016, 07:41 PM   #48
buzzard
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottytheoneand View Post
you need a huge amount of gear, though.

Old 10-17-2016, 09:18 PM   #49
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!

ITT:

"I like science but people on mars crosses the line. I can't explain why exactly, it's just NOT NECESSARY, OK?"

Old 10-17-2016, 09:22 PM   #50
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

Don't worry! Elon will get us there

http://cdn.phys.org/newman/csz/news/...acexselonm.jpg

Old 10-17-2016, 09:29 PM   #51
redbreegull

personally I would like to see an American flag on mars before Amazon lands a drone there

Old 10-17-2016, 09:33 PM   #52
redbreegull

you are a tiresome fellow aren't you

Old 10-17-2016, 09:40 PM   #53
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post
personally I would like to see an American flag on mars before Amazon lands a drone there
NASA working on a Mars drone

http://www.popularmechanics.com/spac...ut-drone-nasa/

http://pop.h-cdn.co/assets/cm/15/05/...rs-helo-de.jpg

Old 10-17-2016, 09:44 PM   #54
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post
ITT:

"I like science but people on mars crosses the line. I can't explain why exactly, it's just NOT NECESSARY, OK?"
because mankind deserves to go extinct at one point when we consume every last bit of our natural resources on planet earth.

would you really honestly want people to start reproducing like cockroaches on mars too?

not posting this as a joke - i think it's brilliantly on point

Old 10-17-2016, 09:49 PM   #55
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh b0lly!!1 View Post
because mankind deserves to go extinct at one point when we consume every last bit of our natural resources on planet earth.

would you really honestly want people to start reproducing like cockroaches on mars too?

not posting this as a joke - i think it's brilliantly on point

The thing I always found funny about this quote is that there's nothing inherent in other mammals that makes them "naturally find an equillibrium with the surrounding environment." If one were to upset the ecological web so that the population of some predator was severely decreased and its prey multiplied, that prey would use up a bunch of resources, too. They wouldn't create laws to conserve the grass or anything like that.

Old 10-17-2016, 09:56 PM   #56
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Another thing that makes no sense about The Matrix...

Okay, so they use humans in the pods for energy, right? And all the shit they imagine themselves doing is just a simulation, correct? So, none of those humans in those pods have ever actually walked around or anything like that. The fact that Keanu Reeves wasn't an atrophied ragdoll when they unplugged him, and was actually in fairly good shape, indicates that they give these people adequate nutrition and probably stimulate their muscles in some way to keep them strong.

So, if they have the energy to keep all those humans alive, why even use them as batteries? Why not cut out the middle man and have even more power for your robot army?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poots View Post
There are so many planets out there that we can strip mine. I can't wait to lay waste to the entire universe.
The next environmental crisis will be humans darkening the whole universe by building too many Dyson spheres, killing off entire solar systems at a time. The universe is probably infinite, but we'll find a way to use it all up anyway.

Old 10-17-2016, 09:56 PM   #57
redbreegull

nah I don't look at people like that. We're our own victims. We suck in a lot of ways but people are just trying to live and not be miserable. I don't really believe the evils of humanity outweigh the love, the kindness, the compassion, and the fraternity we are capable of and which most people more or less operate on (most people are not out there trying to kill or hurt people, in fact I believe most people will voluntarily intervene in situations where someone is trying to hurt someone else).

anyway going to mars changes nothing. even if we are a cancer on Earth, there is nothing to lose by going to Mars. It will be probably hundreds if not thousands of years before the technology exists for huge populations to live on Mars but regardless, I just do not understand any moral qualm with sending people to another world because there are bad people on this one.

Old 10-17-2016, 09:58 PM   #58
Disco King
Minion of Satan

#notallhumans

Old 10-17-2016, 09:59 PM   #59
redbreegull

also there are no lifeforms on Mars to harm. I just don't see anything to lose in this situation. TBH I think people just hate the space program for some reason which has always eluded me

Old 10-17-2016, 10:06 PM   #60
redbreegull

there are other places in the solar system that are more worthwhile to go to IMO but Mars is p. close and we gotta start somewhere.

also if we send a person to mars we can finally be spared from any more trite, rehashed stories about astronauts going to mars. that would be nice at least, right? mars is so overdone we might as well get it over with so we can start talking about Europa