Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07-07-2018, 11:34 PM   #31
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

That fusion of pop and jazz band sounds like something that makes me want to murder ppl

Old 07-08-2018, 04:19 AM   #32
Ihaguitar
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funbags View Post
Yeah, that "real musicians don't care about gear" thing is pure alt-rock posturing.

All those 90s guitarists used to say that gear and lessons etc weren't important despite spending their teens in the 80s being obsessed with gear like everyone else. Kurt created the Jagstang ffs.
He created the Jag-stang by taking polaroids of a Jaguar and a Mustang, cutting them in half and combining them. That is all he did. A child could have done it.

Old 07-08-2018, 05:22 AM   #33
Funbags
Apocalyptic Poster

He created his own custom guitar shape. He liked gear.

Old 07-08-2018, 12:06 PM   #34
Ihaguitar
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funbags View Post
He created his own custom guitar shape. He liked gear.
It's a fucking guitar shape.

Old 07-08-2018, 12:15 PM   #35
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

it's is like this thread was made for you

Old 07-08-2018, 12:36 PM   #36
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

Cobain > Corgan

Old 07-08-2018, 12:40 PM   #37
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofglass11 View Post
Cobain > Corgan
Go back to listening to The Beatles, chudblaster

Old 07-08-2018, 04:02 PM   #38
Ram27
dumb

can we have more threads like this

nerdy dissection of good songs is more fun than complaining about new ones

Old 07-08-2018, 04:16 PM   #39
FoolofaTook

we should all just act like nothing happened after 2000. make talking about zwan, sp2, wpc, etc., taboo, like talking about rep, for instance, or criticizing my hair.

Old 07-08-2018, 11:10 PM   #40
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by slunken View Post
Go back to listening to The Beatles, chudblaster
Go back to listening to Oceania, Corglicker.

Old 07-08-2018, 11:13 PM   #41
FoolofaTook

chudblaster vs. corglicker

Old 07-08-2018, 11:30 PM   #42
Butt Pope
Apocalyptic Poster

I believed James Iha played piano on the titular track Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness.

Old 07-09-2018, 12:03 AM   #43
johncg
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by WakaFlocka View Post
I suppose that's why Nirvana fans argue Kurt being a guitar god.

What you say could be true to some degree but would you say that about Danny Carey or Mike Portnay? There are plenty of musicians who are tone freaks and don't suck at all. Billy truly doesn't get the credit for the guitar player he was/is.
Kurt was a brilliant guitar player. GE Smith commented on how great he was while Nirvana performed on SNL. GE Smith is one the greatest, most successful professional guitarists of the last 30 years or so. So he knows what he’s talking about.

I would honestly argue that Kurt is a MUCH better guitarist than Billy. The only criterion by which Billy surpasses is him is that he plays more notes. But judging by his “Solara” performance on Jimmy Fallon he can’t not even palm mute an E power chord in tune. That is sad and pathetic.

I don’t judge a musician by how many notes they play. I judge them on how good the notes they do play sound, and whether they have a unique and powerful voice. Kurt always sounded good and solid. And he had a much better touch and feel for the guitar. AND he had a much stronger voice in the instrument. So in my book he’s better.

It’s generally a thing among professional musicians in NYC, LA, or Nashville to be very skeptical of a guy who talks a lot about gear. If you’re a pro you’re just expected to have your sound together and not waste time talking about it. It’s way more productive to talk with other musicians about actual music. I’ve talked to world class musicians who don’t know how many watts their amp head is. It doesn’t matter. Music matters.

I don’t have any comments about the guys from Tool or Dream Theater. I’m sure they’re great. Good for them. Mark Giulianna is arguably the most respected jazz drummer in NYC right now and he literally doesn’t care what kit he plays on live. He plays whatever is there and makes it sound great. That mentality is the sign of a real pro, not the fussing and obsessing about gear. Just being confident that you can make it work.

I’m sure I have you fuming at me now. I am sorry for that. I hope you have a nice night.

Last edited by johncg : 07-09-2018 at 12:14 AM.

Old 07-09-2018, 12:17 AM   #44
Butt Pope
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by johncg View Post
Kurt was a brilliant guitar player. GE Smith commented on how great he was while Nirvana performed on SNL. GE Smith is one the greatest, most successful professional guitarists of the last 30 years or so. So he knows what he’s talking about.

I would honestly argue that Kurt is a MUCH better guitarist than Billy. The only criterion by which Billy surpasses is him is that he plays more notes. But judging by his “Solara” performance on Jimmy Fallon he can’t not even palm mute an E power chord in tune. That is sad and pathetic.

I don’t judge a musician by how many notes they play. I judge them on how good the notes they do play sound, and whether they have a unique and powerful voice. Kurt always sounded good and solid. And he had a much better touch and feel for the guitar. AND he had a much stronger voice in the instrument. So in my book he’s better.

It’s generally a thing among professional musicians in NYC, LA, or Nashville to be very skeptical of a guy who talks a lot about gear. If you’re a pro you’re just expected to have your sound together and not waste time talking about it. It’s way more productive to talk with other musicians about actual music. I’ve talked to world class musicians who don’t know how many watts their amp head is. It doesn’t matter. Music matters.

I don’t have any comments about the guys from Tool or Dream Theater. I’m sure they’re great. Good for them. Mark Giulianna is arguably the most respected jazz drummer in NYC right now and he literally doesn’t care what kit he plays on live. He plays whatever is there and makes it sound great. That mentality is the sign of a real pro, not the fussing and obsessing about gear. Just being confident that you can make it work.

I’m sure I have you fuming at me now. I am sorry for that. I hope you have a nice night.
Kurt Cobain passed

Old 07-09-2018, 12:17 AM   #45
redbreegull

Billy Corgan surpasses Cobain at every guitar criterion imaginable

Old 07-09-2018, 12:18 AM   #46
redbreegull

but I still like kurt cocaine

Old 07-09-2018, 01:06 AM   #47
Grox
Apocalyptic Poster

James wrote one of the descending octave parts in Porcelina, there's an interview somewhere on Starla where Billy talks about it.

Old 07-09-2018, 02:04 AM   #48
FoolofaTook

yeah i remember that. nice one, grox.

Old 07-09-2018, 05:09 AM   #49
emilem
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihaguitar View Post
He created the Jag-stang by taking polaroids of a Jaguar and a Mustang, cutting them in half and combining them. That is all he did. A child could have done it.
the guy used univox superfuzz and electro-harmonix polychorus. he was far from a cork sniffer but he knew his shit.

Old 07-09-2018, 08:11 AM   #50
Funbags
Apocalyptic Poster

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butt Pope View Post
I believed James Iha played piano on the titular track Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness.
Nah.

Old 07-09-2018, 08:54 AM   #51
DaveKShape
Ownz

lol @ the G.E. Smith name drop

Old 07-09-2018, 08:55 AM   #52
DaveKShape
Ownz

https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images...ar_400x400.jpg

Last edited by DaveKShape : 07-10-2018 at 01:02 PM.

Old 07-09-2018, 09:19 AM   #53
paranoid
Minion of Satan

James iha > Kurt cobain

Old 07-09-2018, 09:31 AM   #54
FoolofaTook

Wata > James Iha/B0lliam/Kurt kokaine

Old 07-09-2018, 10:39 AM   #55
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereIsNoWhy4U View Post
hahaha you're insane. I need to find your "I quit my horrible job and I feel horrible now, please pity me" post tho. I'll get back to you!
You never do though

How's unemployment?

Old 07-09-2018, 11:06 AM   #56
FoolofaTook

what's the deal with shittin' on the unemployed? christ was unemployed. so was buddha. and look at them: boss as fuck.

Old 07-09-2018, 12:21 PM   #57
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

It's basic dude's comeback to me calling him basic dude

Old 07-09-2018, 05:14 PM   #58
johncg
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post
Billy Corgan surpasses Cobain at every guitar criterion imaginable
Oh okay

Forget the fact that I constructed a meaningful set of criteria by which to evaluate musicianship and defended it with examples

Just tell me I’m wrong like a second grader

Old 07-09-2018, 05:17 PM   #59
johncg
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveKShape View Post
lol @ the G.E. Smith name drop
A name drop is when you know someone personally and bring them up in conversation to make yourself look cool.

Just so you know

Old 07-09-2018, 05:45 PM   #60
Corgan's Bluff
Minion of Satan

Arrow

ROLLING STONE
100 Greatest Guitarists

Find out who our panel of top guitarists and other experts picked

DECEMBER 18, 2015

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...kingham-39147/

We assembled a panel of top guitarists and other experts to rank their favorites and explain what separates the legends from everyone else. Featuring Keith Richards on Chuck Berry, Carlos Santana on Jerry Garcia, Tom Petty on George Harrison and more.

THE VOTERS: Trey Anastasio, Dan Auerbach (The Black Keys), Brian Bell (Weezer), Ritchie Blackmore (Deep Purple), Carl Broemel (My Morning Jacket), James Burton, Jerry Cantrell (Alice in Chains), Gary Clark Jr., Billy Corgan, Steve Cropper, Dave Davies (The Kinks), Anthony DeCurtis (Contributing editor, Rolling Stone), Tom DeLonge (Blink-182), Rick Derringer, Luther Dickinson (North Mississippi Allstars), Elliot Easton (The Cars), Melissa Etheridge, Don Felder (The Eagles), David Fricke (Senior writer, Rolling Stone), Peter Guralnick (Author), Kirk Hammett (Metallica), Albert Hammond Jr. (The Strokes), Warren Haynes (The Allman Brothers Band), Brian Hiatt (Senior writer, Rolling Stone), David Hidalgo (Los Lobos), Jim James (My Morning Jacket), Lenny Kravitz, Robby Krieger (The Doors), Jon Landau (Manager), Alex Lifeson (Rush), Nils Lofgren (The E Street Band), Mick Mars (Mötley Crüe), Doug Martsch (Built to Spill), J Mascis (Dinosaur Jr.), Brian May, Mike McCready (Pearl Jam), Roger McGuinn (The Byrds), Scotty Moore, Thurston Moore (Sonic Youth), Tom Morello, Dave Mustaine (Megadeth), Brendan O’Brien (Producer), Joe Perry, Vernon Reid (Living Colour), Robbie Robertson, Rich Robinson (The Black Crowes), Carlos Santana, Kenny Wayne Shepherd, Marnie Stern, Stephen Stills, Andy Summers, Mick Taylor, Susan Tedeschi, Vieux Farka Touré, Derek Trucks, Eddie Van Halen, Joe Walsh, Nancy Wilson (Heart)

CONTRIBUTORS: David Browne, Patrick Doyle, David Fricke, Will Hermes, Brian Hiatt, Alan Light, Rob Tannenbaum, Douglas Wolk

Kurt Cobain

He was no virtuoso, and that's the whole point: By snatching electric guitar from note-shredding technicians and giving it back to artists, freaks and poets, Kurt Cobain became one of the most important players ever. Cobain didn't invent alt-rock. But with his love of Cheap Trick, the Melvins and Kiss, he gave it the metallic power necessary to conquer the world. His playing wasn't all untutored squall, either: See the unconventional chord progression and mastery of quiet-loud-quiet dynamics on "Lithium" – and pretty much every other Nirvana song.

Key Tracks: "Smells Like Teen Spirit," "Scentless Apprentice"

-- (Zero)
Billy Corgan

Last edited by Corgan's Bluff : 07-09-2018 at 05:55 PM.