Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List

Old 06-08-2018, 10:44 AM   #451
Oklahoma Sexual
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoergosum View Post
I still believe that D'arcy would have been the key to make this work.

She was hungry to be part of the band again, wrote songs, would have probably stopped Billy to record tracks like Solara ("...no one had better musical discernment in our band than she").

They should have started with a small tour a la Arising...then proceed from there.
i disagree. no one can save mellon bolly. that's the lesson here. time to pack it up and walk away. let him release ogilageist.

Old 06-08-2018, 10:47 AM   #452
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Location: Let me see you do the booty hop. And now make the booty stop. Now drop, and do the booty wop.
Talking

If you search for "Solara" in Spotify's search field, there's a long list of results that does not ******* this song

Clearly Spotify has an anti-Pumpkins bias

Last edited by topleybird : 06-08-2018 at 11:18 AM. Reason: fragile ego can't stand typos

Old 06-08-2018, 10:49 AM   #453
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Location: Let me see you do the booty hop. And now make the booty stop. Now drop, and do the booty wop.
Lightbulb

Also, I gave in and listened one more time just now and I immediately regret this decision

But for the lyrics, I think the "Become the only ______ (Glyph knight?)" line is "Become the owl at midnight"

Old 06-08-2018, 10:49 AM   #454
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by topleybird View Post
If you search for "Solara" in Spotify's search field, there's a long list of results that does not ******* this song

Cleary Spotify has an anti-Pumpkins bias

I've always wondered why the word "in*clude" gets censored on Netphoria...LOL.

Old 06-08-2018, 10:54 AM   #455
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Lightbulb

Ah hell, I always forget that — there's a way around it

include?

Anyway you used to be able to inject some malicious code into your post, that used that word, that would crash people's computers when they opened the page, so Pakula muted it

Old 06-08-2018, 10:56 AM   #456
Funbags
Apocalyptic Poster

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPLATTER View Post
sounds worse with repeated listens

the drum production is atrocious
There are some great drum fills that sound like barf. That snare

When a band has one of the best rock drummers alive, you'd think they'd fucking showcase his instrument a bit better.

Old 06-08-2018, 11:04 AM   #457
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster

I was going to start a new thread but I can't be arsed. Solara first impressions:

Quote:
“I’m nothing but a body in my mind,” Corgan screeches over the band’s 18-string section, which includes himself, Iha, and 2.0 Pumpkin Jeff Schroeder. If anyone’s in their own mind on this song, however, it’s Chamberlin who rolls through its bloated four-minute length with signature ease. The rest? Well, let’s just say “Tarantula” was a far more memorable reunion jam.
- CoS

Quote:
The Rick Rubin-produced “Solara” is our first chance to find out. When it briefly leaked earlier today, the Pumpkins subreddit did not find it satisfying. Decide for yourself below.
- Stereogum

Quote:
“Solara” bypasses the melodic grandeur of early Pumpkins classics like “Today” and “1979.” Instead, it’s a straightforward hard rocker that opts for crunchy guitar riffs, furious drum fills and droning, hypnotic vocals, more akin to “Bullet with Butterfly Wings.”
- Forbes

Quote:
"Solara" is a chest-out rock song, loaded with grinding guitars, a pounding rhythm section and big fills.
- Billboad

Old 06-08-2018, 11:07 AM   #458
bright_doom
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoergosum View Post
I still believe that D'arcy would have been the key to make this work.

She was hungry to be part of the band again, wrote songs, would have probably stopped Billy to record tracks like Solara ("...no one had better musical discernment in our band than she").

They should have started with a small tour a la Arising...then proceed from there.

Old 06-08-2018, 11:14 AM   #459
incubator
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by topleybird View Post

Cleary Spotify has an anti-Pumpkins bias
If you type "smash" into Spotify "Smash Mouth" comes up as a suggestion before "Smashing Pumpkins" does

Old 06-08-2018, 11:16 AM   #460
brothahi4L
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyroes View Post
It sucks though. Billy is finally back together with Jimmy and James, a big reunion tour coming up. This was really his last chance to come out with something awesome and really make a statement and gain some relevancy, but it's just more of the same. I can't see this shit getting much airplay.

This

Old 06-08-2018, 11:30 AM   #461
brothahi4L
Apocalyptic Poster

Rolling on floor laughing

Old 06-08-2018, 11:39 AM   #462
Ram27
dumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by bright_doom View Post
2nd listen!
Actually the verses hit me like You're All I've Got Tonight verses meets Being Beige verses. (but not in a completely bad way.) The chorus is like an anti-epic version of Bullet With Butterfly Wings chorus.

The little bit between the verses/chorus I have no opinion on. Like the rest of the song, it's epic slacker. But I still kind of like it for not being the stereotypical catchy first single with "ooh's" and "ahh's"

The lyrics are exactly what I thought they'd be, for better or worse.

Bridge - outro are ok/good. Its the most Zeitgeist sounding part of the song. But optimistically, the better parts of Zeitgeist.

BUT I definitely don't think it has that Zeitgeist production ya'll are talking about.

As far as Smashing Pumpkins lead singles of past 11 years are concerned I'd place it 3rd of 5.

1. Tarantula.
2. The Celestials
3. Solara
4. Song For A Son
5. Being Beige.

Also. COULD NOT HEAR JIMMY OR JAMES INFLUENCE ON SONG WHATSOEVER. Could of just been Jeff + drum guy from Rage against the machine + bass guy from The killers for all I could tell.
It was missing that trademark Jimmy fill - the flam on the snare, triplet split between toms and kick - 0:25 in Cherub Rock

i mean it was missing a whole lot more too

Old 06-08-2018, 11:41 AM   #463
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

Jimmy loves "the power/chemistry/sound of love and respect. #sumoftheparts".

https://i.imgur.com/MY0K9S7.png

Old 06-08-2018, 11:44 AM   #464
Ram27
dumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by themadcaplaughs View Post
More than anything, I am most disappointed by the fact that it has no Smashing Pumpkins "vibe." I would have been willing to accept a good but not great song if it at least seemed to rekindle some of the magic of old Smashing Pumpkins. The song "To Who Knows Where" from James' last record would be a perfect example. It definitely isn't a great song, but seems enjoyable enough and gout some love because it sounded more like Smashing Pumpkins than anything Corgan had done from 2007 on.
+++++++++

It's so clear how little James was involved

I wish Billy would write dreamy stuff again

Old 06-08-2018, 11:58 AM   #465
New Art Rioter
Apocalyptic Poster

At least there's the video with the mimes to look forward to, right guys?

Old 06-08-2018, 12:05 PM   #466
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster

It's so clear how little Billy was involved

Old 06-08-2018, 12:11 PM   #467
enthusaroo
Apocalyptic Poster

hopefully this is all just a late April Fools' joke and that the real song will be much better guys

Old 06-08-2018, 12:14 PM   #468
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

Edit.

Last edited by amoergosum : 06-08-2018 at 12:32 PM.

Old 06-08-2018, 12:18 PM   #469
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster

Even though I dislike the song, I have to say Solara was the one song I wasn't looking forward to listening to, knowing it was a Monuments to An Elegy era song. I'll wait for the other 7, specially looking forward to the one Jimmy co-wrote.

You know what? The band was planing to record ONE fucking song only, and I'm pretty sure it was going to be LOLara . Maybe Billy was so blind he would't discard Solara and that's why Rick Rubin ask them to record 7 more songs!

Old 06-08-2018, 12:19 PM   #470
brothahi4L
Apocalyptic Poster

We are staaaaaaarz. Fuck that cheap muted metal shit powerchord rant- why the hell release another zeitscheiss song as a welcome song. Darcy is rofl

Old 06-08-2018, 01:14 PM   #471
enthusaroo
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forgotten Child View Post
Even though I dislike the song, I have to say Solara was the one song I wasn't looking forward to listening to, knowing it was a Monuments to An Elegy era song. I'll wait for the other 7, specially looking forward to the one Jimmy co-wrote.

You know what? The band was planing to record ONE fucking song only, and I'm pretty sure it was going to be LOLara . Maybe Billy was so blind he would't discard Solara and that's why Rick Rubin ask them to record 7 more songs!
yeah but why they gotta do this shit to people? this is punishment to people's ears and taste.

Old 06-08-2018, 01:29 PM   #472
paranoid
Minion of Satan

Perhaps consciously or unconsciously billy knows the pumpkins are truly iver, and he wants to take jimmy and james down with him.. and Darcy caught on.

Old 06-08-2018, 01:34 PM   #473
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster

Billy thought Monuments was a great album but didn't get good reviews only because James and Jimmy weren't there with him. Now they are he's gonna try Monuments again waiting for the good reviews.

Old 06-08-2018, 01:50 PM   #474
srt4b
Apocalyptic Poster

Wow, negative comments on Youtube, Reddit, and Instagram. It's uniquely hated by everyone.

Old 06-08-2018, 02:06 PM   #475
SomaPhreak
Ownz

Post Too Bad!

They would have been better off doing nothing. Sad!

Old 06-08-2018, 02:17 PM   #476
brothahi4L
Apocalyptic Poster

Wow, negative comments on Youtube, Reddit, and Instagram. It's uniquely hated by everyone.

wrong, hated by almost everyone.

why bring up this shit? i still cant believe it how stupid it was to release a zeitscheiss sing

Old 06-08-2018, 02:29 PM   #477
slunken
Virgo

i am in this whirlwind and i love it

Old 06-08-2018, 03:05 PM   #478
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!

It's hard to understand how Billy Corgan is so out of touch with music, culture, his fans, etc. How could he possibly think releasing something that sounds like a rehash of his rehash album from 11 years ago which was also a disappointing "reunion" would be something people want to hear? And the song is fucking stupid to the core. Pretty sure most of us originally liked this band because there were so many levels beyond the cock out rock out surface. Now everything is like a parody of his earlier work.

Old 06-08-2018, 03:42 PM   #479
Corgan's Bluff
Minion of Satan

Arrow

Grumpy old band photos in 2018.

https://scontent-frx5-1.xx.fbcdn.net...40&oe=5BAB1BBD

Imagine D'arcy's face in front at the statue's face...

https://scontent-frx5-1.xx.fbcdn.net...10&oe=5BB6DF24

James hardly recognizable on this one...

https://scontent-frx5-1.xx.fbcdn.net...23&oe=5BAE2632

Old 06-08-2018, 03:49 PM   #480
Oklahoma Sexual
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corgan's Bluff View Post
that effect is pretty shiny and bright though