Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Music Board Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05-31-2018, 07:33 AM   #1
fuzzyroes
Banned

Default Weezer accept a twitter request and cover Toto's Africa

lol gotta love when Weezer drops a surprise out of nowhere.

"It all started when a 14-year-old Cleveland resident named Mary created a Twitter profile dedicated solely to getting Rivers Cuomo and co. to cover the 1982 megahit.

Hundreds of tweets containing a #WeezerCoverAfrica hashtag were sent by the appropriately titled @weezerafrica account, and the campaign received plenty of press from music media outlets like Noisey."

Billy Corgan, TAKE NOTES

this is awesome

Last edited by fuzzyroes : 05-31-2018 at 07:38 AM.

Old 05-31-2018, 07:35 AM   #2
fuzzyroes
Banned

https://www.maxim.com/.image/c_limit...TYx/weezer.jpg

Old 05-31-2018, 07:36 AM   #3
fuzzyroes
Banned

Cuomo rocking a Skakespeare sticker haha

Old 05-31-2018, 07:51 AM   #4
fuzzyroes
Banned

Don't know if you guys ever saw this, it's some years old now, but since y'all talk about RH so much, you might get a kick out of this. This rocks

Old 05-31-2018, 09:47 AM   #5
PuzzledMuzzle
Ownz

ok

Old 05-31-2018, 09:47 AM   #6
PuzzledMuzzle
Ownz

Actually a good cover.

Old 05-31-2018, 05:11 PM   #7
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Location: I’ve been trying to move to the Nordic countries for 5 years but the cost is astronomical to become an expatriate

I like Weezer and all, but jesus fuck fuzzy, do you ever get tired of posting about the same four fucking tired 90s acts? Get yourself a damn Spotify account and branch the fuck out already.

Old 05-31-2018, 06:42 PM   #8
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuzzledMuzzle View Post
Actually a good cover.
haha I know right?!

It's already going viral

Old 05-31-2018, 06:44 PM   #9
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamingGlobes View Post
I like Weezer and all, but jesus fuck fuzzy, do you ever get tired of posting about the same four fucking tired 90s acts? Get yourself a damn Spotify account and branch the fuck out already.
lol Spotify. That shit's garbage man. I can download any album I like on Soulseek in 30 seconds.

Old 05-31-2018, 09:18 PM   #10
Shallowed
Braindead

https://i.imgur.com/GVJ06OK.jpg

Old 05-31-2018, 09:20 PM   #11
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!

I'm off my meds and I feel nuts. I saw this story on the news and started crying thinking about how excited that girl must have been when they played it

Old 05-31-2018, 09:21 PM   #12
redbreegull

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyroes View Post
lol Spotify. That shit's garbage man. I can download any album I like on Soulseek in 30 seconds.
Spotify is actually amazing and has changed the way I listen to music. I am now listening to more new music and enjoying more new stuff than I have in literally years and years. I'm pretty sure you can download anything if you have a paid subscription, but I just use free. No reason I have to "own" digital files when they are available instantly for free as well

Old 05-31-2018, 09:28 PM   #13
slunken
Virgo

I would use spotify (and pay for it) if my provider offered unlimited access.

Old 05-31-2018, 09:34 PM   #14
slunken
Virgo

Also I still think it's kind of awkward how people use spotify or pandora to recommend music for them. music is supposed to be an active experience. don't turn it into a passive experience like radio 2.0.

does anybody else go to a restaurant and go "uh gee i dunno just give me what you think is good"? the world is at your fucking fingertips.

Old 05-31-2018, 09:43 PM   #15
redbreegull

Quote:
Originally Posted by slunken View Post
Also I still think it's kind of awkward how people use spotify or pandora to recommend music for them. music is supposed to be an active experience. don't turn it into a passive experience like radio 2.0.

does anybody else go to a restaurant and go "uh gee i dunno just give me what you think is good"? the world is at your fucking fingertips.
you've never asked for a rec at a restaurant?

I don't listen to playlists personalized or not on spotify though, so maybe I agree with you. I have been trying to check out artists I have meant to check out for a long time, or to dig deeper into discographies I'm not super familiar with. OR if I just hear about some artist and want to check them out, spotify makes it MUCH easier than having to search for and torrent an album to see if you like it

Old 05-31-2018, 09:45 PM   #16
redbreegull

I think I'm weird though because I don't like listening to samey music. I might like Sun Kil Moon but if I entered that and let spotify generate a playlist I would probably hate everything it suggested. Just because I like one artist honing in on a particular sound doesn't mean I am interested in hearing other artists do a similar thing.

Old 05-31-2018, 10:45 PM   #17
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

earlier i played my michael jackson playlist, i left spotify open and came back 3 hours later and it was playing nsync. true story.

Old 05-31-2018, 11:21 PM   #18
Elphenor
Braindead

Quote:

I have used pandora that way but very quickly I'd wear out the extent in which it could help me

"these are the only 2 bands I know like that dood"

and I don't listen to music as background or car radio, I listen to NPR, music is for bedroom pogo

Old 05-31-2018, 11:27 PM   #19
Elphenor
Braindead

I don't really use streaming services anymore, would rather just steal music than pay a middle man

Old 05-31-2018, 11:31 PM   #20
redbreegull

I still do not really get even paying for spotify. If you listen to music at home, just use your computer and it has basically all the same features for free?

Old 05-31-2018, 11:31 PM   #21
redbreegull

ad block plus stops half the advertisements anyway

Old 06-01-2018, 06:23 AM   #22
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Location: I’ve been trying to move to the Nordic countries for 5 years but the cost is astronomical to become an expatriate

Quote:
Then why is it always just Guns N Roses, Weezer, Guns N Roses, Green Day, Guns N Roses, and Smashing Pumpkins with you?

Old 06-01-2018, 06:25 AM   #23
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Quote:

Not everyone has the energy to study and seek out new things. And some people prefer the feeding tube radio format (I'm not one of those people). If it's a choice between staying locked up in the same shit from your youth or discovering new things in any way possible, I'd prefer the latter.

I mean, shit, I don't even use Spotify, but I think someone like fuzzy could really benefit from it.

Old 06-01-2018, 11:20 AM   #24
Sonic Johnny
Through Silver In Buds

Quote:

Iunno man, I use Apple Music which does a bloody good job of bringing me good stuff I would otherwise have missed with its weekly algorithm-generated new music playlist. I still go and find stuff for myself but there's a handful of really stellar albums I found through letting a computer recommend me music.

Old 06-01-2018, 07:54 PM   #25
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post
Spotify is actually amazing and has changed the way I listen to music. I am now listening to more new music and enjoying more new stuff than I have in literally years and years. I'm pretty sure you can download anything if you have a paid subscription, but I just use free. No reason I have to "own" digital files when they are available instantly for free as well
Spotify is garbage. It's pillaging for the artist. One of the top listened songs of the service for the year only netted the artist something like 5000$. Joe Rogan has talked a lot about what a scam it is. And it's obtrusive for the user. Spotify sells all the data to other companies and target users with lots of obtrusive advertising.

I personally don't wanna be a part of solidifying Spotify as a solution for labels. I'd encourage other people not to use it.

Plus, I just like actually having the music, burning CD's, uploading it to a portable device. When listening to an album, it's important to let it simmer and saute with a person. Music has become such a fleeting thing with people and these streaming services. They don't give the music enough of a chance anymore.

Old 06-01-2018, 08:36 PM   #26
Elphenor
Braindead

Quote:
Joe Rogan has talked a lot about
nobody care

Old 06-01-2018, 09:35 PM   #27
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

Quote:
Spotify is garbage. It's pillaging for the artist. One of the top listened songs of the service for the year only netted the artist something like 5000$.
so instead you pay nothing for it

Old 06-01-2018, 09:54 PM   #28
fuzzyroes
Banned

It's better to outright boycott major label exploitation than to be a part of normalizing and validating their new monopolies of control.

Plus, I see a lot of shows and buy a lot of merch and vinyl. That's how I show support for artists, by bypassing any of the shenanigans. I don't want no big-brother bullshit selling my music listening habits to corporations while also having their obtrusive advertising shoved down my throat. That's just whack.

Old 06-01-2018, 10:08 PM   #29
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post
spotify makes it MUCH easier than having to search for and torrent an album to see if you like it
Download Soulseek, man. It's sort of a cult program. The format has barely changed since it was introduced way back when, but it's still managed and ran very well. You can find literally anything in seconds and it's all very high quality 320KBPS files. It's got all the new shit instantly. Way better than searching around for torrents.

You can literally type in local bands and they come up on Soulseek. It's great.

Old 06-01-2018, 10:19 PM   #30
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamingGlobes View Post
Then why is it always just Guns N Roses, Weezer, Guns N Roses, Green Day, Guns N Roses, and Smashing Pumpkins with you?
You're way off, holmes. You should check my Ipod, I have a ton of shit. A lot of local acts, punk rock, grunge, alt rock, pop-punk, new-wave, 80's romantic hits, 70's soft rock, heavy metal ETC

I'm a very eclectic music fan.