Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > General Chat Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2008, 11:55 AM   #1
Caine Walker
Braindead

Unhappy kicking a roommate out

a little bit of history:

before i moved in, i was starting to become pretty good friends with this girl. we got to know each other fairly well, and have had some really great conversations about life, relationships, blah blah fucking blah. well, unbeknownst to me, my landlord had all kinds of problems with her paying late, giving him the runaround about the reasons for it, people moving in and out with no notice before i moved in, etc. from what he tells me, he was ready to evict her and my other friend who was living with her. but i took over handling the rent, and we've established a really good owner/tenant relationship. the other roommate and i get along famously, and i really enjoy living with him... things were fine for a while. we had normal roommate *issues* here and there, but nothing intolerable. but none of the latter has to do the blatant irresponsibility that has shot to the surface of the girl's every day living...

now she doesn't bother to give me rent on time, and this month opted to just not pay it at all. rather than let me handle it, effectively saving her ass, she insisted on talking to the landlord directly thinking everything would be just fucking peachy. well, now the landlord is angry as hell, and has demanded that she leave. fine by me, but he won't talk to her about it, insisting that i can do it. >_< at this point, she still doesn't know that she's being *evicted*.

there are some complications as well: she was there first, she and the other roommate were friends first, and worst of all, she has metamorphasized into one of the angriest, trainwreck drunks i've ever seen. i can't talk to her about anything without her immediately becoming defensive and generally snapping back with "quit judging me."

things are so tense in our place that we can't all be in the same room together.... i clearly have the upper hand with the landlord and roommate on my side, but i'm getting concerned about how this is going to play out once she realizes that she has no ground to stand on. or apartment to live in. or any friends left...

Old 03-17-2008, 11:58 AM   #2
hnibos
Braindead

we live in a chaotic world that we must adapt to. it sucks for her but you have to do whats best for yourself. Let her know and thats that, move on.

Old 03-17-2008, 11:59 AM   #3
JapanAlex
Apocalyptic Poster

just write her a letter and then go and stay with a friend until she is gone

or you could tell her nicely?

Old 03-17-2008, 12:00 PM   #4
mxzombie
Braindead

Location: i like traffic lights, but only when they're green.

get her a card that says how sorry you are that she has to leave and then leave it for her

Old 03-17-2008, 12:00 PM   #5
hnibos
Braindead

wait, why is your tenant such a bitch?

Old 03-17-2008, 12:04 PM   #6
Caine Walker
Braindead

Question

see, i've been trying to figure that out... she's always been kind of surly, but this out of control, i'mnotlisteningtoanyone lalalalala, taking drinks out of people's hands thing is a pretty recent development.

i had a long conversation with my other roommate last nite, and he absolutely agrees that i haven't *done* anything to her. i mean, i've asked her to clean up her messes, pay me for bills, and to not get shitty with me, but only recently did i get so riled up that i told her to go fuck herself after she accused me of abusing her cat. i don't like the cat, but i am no animal abuser.

Old 03-17-2008, 12:05 PM   #7
Rockin' Cherub
Braindead

this calls for an intervention

Old 03-17-2008, 12:13 PM   #8
JapanAlex
Apocalyptic Poster

do you like this show or was it just to fit the joke?

just because IT SUCKS

Old 03-17-2008, 12:27 PM   #9
cork_soaker
full of longing

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxzombie View Post
get her a card that says how sorry you are that she has to leave and then leave it for her
dear whositwhatsit
i'm sorry; you have to leave
enjoy the card
love,
personperson

Old 03-17-2008, 12:38 PM   #10
sppunk
Netphoria's George Will

Is your name on the lease?

Old 03-17-2008, 12:39 PM   #11
Eulogy
huh

i don't get why the landlord can't tell her. how can he make that your responsibility?

Old 03-17-2008, 12:41 PM   #12
aurel
Apocalyptic Poster

You should put the entire system trial.

Old 03-17-2008, 12:49 PM   #13
Caine Walker
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by sppunk View Post
Is your name on the lease?
no lease... it expired in december, which makes the whole thing all loosey goosey. : /

Old 03-17-2008, 12:53 PM   #14
sppunk
Netphoria's George Will

I'm nearly positive you have absolutely no legal authority to kick her out - she has just as much right as staying there as you, and you have no control over her living situation.

Your landlord will have to evict her if he wants her out.

Old 03-17-2008, 12:55 PM   #15
Caine Walker
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulogy View Post
i don't get why the landlord can't tell her. how can he make that your responsibility?
i've been telling him over and over that i want him to do it, but then he just repeats "well, you can tell her, or i can tell her, but she don't listen to me."

and i'll say, "yes, but i really think it would be more effective if it was you, as the landlord, who did it."

"yes, tom. absolutely. so, you know, you can tell her, or i can tell her. we'll get this taken care of." which translates into, "you live with her. i don't want to talk to her crazy ass. you do it."

he's one of those people who repeats things four and five times in a conversation for no real reason, other than to make sure you know his stance despite any kind of objection on your part. really, really nice guy, but he just doesn't listen sometimes.

Old 03-17-2008, 12:55 PM   #16
Cool As Ice Cream
Just Hook it to My Veins!

just put a knitting needle in her ear while she sleeps. this way you can avoid further confrontations and the landlord will be happy too.

Old 03-17-2008, 12:56 PM   #17
Caine Walker
Braindead

Thumbs up

Quote:
Your landlord will have to evict her if he wants her out.
this is pretty much where i was expecting this to go. i planned on calling him about it again today.

thanks.

Old 03-17-2008, 01:01 PM   #18
sppunk
Netphoria's George Will

You have every right to tell her to leave and all, but she has no reason to listen to you. If she leaves when you tell her, awesome, but I sure as hell wouldn't if I were her.

Old 03-17-2008, 01:14 PM   #19
Caine Walker
Braindead

okee...

my other roommate is going to get the part of the rent that she still owes, and when he has it in his hand, he's dropping the bomb about her having to leave. i just got off the phone with the landlord, and he's already been talking to his lawyer. if necessary, she will be legally evicted, so this is essentially out of my hands now. thank christ.

Old 03-17-2008, 01:19 PM   #20
Caine Walker
Braindead

Quote:
You have every right to tell her to leave and all, but she has no reason to listen to you. If she leaves when you tell her, awesome, but I sure as hell wouldn't if I were her.
so, you wouldn't leave because it's just some guy telling you and not the landlord?

Old 03-17-2008, 01:31 PM   #21
commando
Apocalyptic Poster

legal evictions are a pain, too. Too bad she won't just leave. It could take like 3 months to do it.

Old 03-17-2008, 03:48 PM   #22
Caine Walker
Braindead

Talking success!

everything has been sorted out, no legal processes necessary, and she'll be out by the end of the month.

for something that's been building for over a month now, this certainly found its final resolution fairly quickly.

Old 03-17-2008, 03:49 PM   #23
Eulogy
huh

o/

does she hate you now though or what

Old 03-17-2008, 03:51 PM   #24
jigga
Oblivious Virgin

put whorcestershire in her liquor!

Old 03-17-2008, 04:00 PM   #25
KrazeeStacee

Yeah how did you guys sign the lease? There are 2 types of leases - basically it comes down to if each is responsible for their separate part - or if you all are responsible for the whole.

If it's the first one, he has to deal with her. If it's the second, it's your job.

The first isn't really common but it sounds like that's how your landlord has treated you guys as tenants.

Either way, that's messed up. Good luck, hope it works out. If you need any help with anything let me know!

Old 03-17-2008, 04:01 PM   #26
KrazeeStacee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caine Walker View Post
everything has been sorted out, no legal processes necessary, and she'll be out by the end of the month.

for something that's been building for over a month now, this certainly found its final resolution fairly quickly.
Oh! Cool lol

Old 03-17-2008, 04:03 PM   #27
Caine Walker
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulogy View Post
o/

does she hate you now though or what
*\o

and she totally hates me. but you know what? i'm better off.

i don't need people like this in my life.

Old 03-17-2008, 04:03 PM   #28
sppunk
Netphoria's George Will

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caine Walker View Post
so, you wouldn't leave because it's just some guy telling you and not the landlord?
If I was living somewhere and a roommate who is not on any lease told me to leave I'd ignore them. They would have no legal backing for telling me to leave.

Old 03-17-2008, 04:10 PM   #29
Caine Walker
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrazeeStacee View Post
Yeah how did you guys sign the lease? There are 2 types of leases - basically it comes down to if each is responsible for their separate part - or if you all are responsible for the whole.

If it's the first one, he has to deal with her. If it's the second, it's your job.

The first isn't really common but it sounds like that's how your landlord has treated you guys as tenants.

Either way, that's messed up. Good luck, hope it works out. If you need any help with anything let me know!
i was never on the lease, that's the thing. originally, it was her and two other people and that expired in december. since i've been in charge for the last five months, three of those have been month-to-month. over that period of time, i built up a trust with the landlord and now he's willing to sign a lease with me.

i'm so effin' relieved that this is all over. now we just have to make sure she gets her salty ass moved OUT.

Old 03-17-2008, 04:13 PM   #30
Caine Walker
Braindead

Quote:
If I was living somewhere and a roommate who is not on any lease told me to leave I'd ignore them. They would have no legal backing for telling me to leave.
i hearya.

but not paying rent...? come on, she had to expect that something was going to shake down. or not. :: shrug::