Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2018, 09:02 PM   #1
fuzzyroes
Banned

Default Billy Corgan: Green Day's Billie Joe Armstrong Is Up There With Greats Like Kurt Coba

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news...rt_cobain.html

Cool to see Billy giving Billie Joe some props. Whether you like some of Green Days newer music or not, you've gotta give the man credit for writing a shit ton of catchy songs.

Old 09-20-2018, 09:03 PM   #2
fuzzyroes
Banned

Corgan also mentioned his love for the Ramones!

"Punk had very little influence directly. Indirectly, through our peers, more so. But that said I adored the Ramones from age 10 on, and never lost my love for them."

That's super awesome

Old 09-20-2018, 11:33 PM   #3
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

amazing

Old 09-20-2018, 11:33 PM   #4
FoolofaTook

this is what you have been reduced to fuzzy. this.

i weep for your fall.

Old 09-21-2018, 12:16 AM   #5
great poster
Apocalyptic Poster

i dont really care what anyone says, but i really do like green day a lot. they're a guilty pleasure for me nowadays.

Old 09-21-2018, 12:22 AM   #6
NovaFritz
Apocalyptic Poster

Billy just loves everyone now that he has decided to go full nostalgia act.

Old 09-21-2018, 01:04 AM   #7
great poster
Apocalyptic Poster

the thing i like about green day is that you can tell that they are all best friends. i don't think there's ever been any drama between them and there especially hasn't been any falling outs. they still play songs from their late 80s/pre-dookie albums and have no problems doing so. nobody is up their own asses about playing old music. billie-joe, in that sense, is the complete opposite of billy.

Old 09-21-2018, 01:06 AM   #8
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

d e l

Old 09-21-2018, 01:43 AM   #9
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

Green Day 1996 Guitar World Interview:

ARMSTRONG: "I've talked a lot of shit about Smashing Pumpkins, but I think the guitar sound on "1979" is really good, and so is the song itself."

DIRNT: "I think us talking shit about Smashing Pumpkins is more just making fun of how pathetic those guys are. Especially Billy Corgan. I think it would have been better if he hadn't made such a big issue of his guitar playing right when they put out their first album, like "I played most of the guitar on this album. Any hot licks you hear, that's me, not James [Iha].""

Lol

Old 09-21-2018, 01:46 AM   #10
redbreegull

I don't think Bill started claiming to have recorded all the guitars and shit until after SD was out though, right?

and the first person to ever say anything about it was James Iha, not Bilco

Old 09-21-2018, 01:49 AM   #11
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

Sounds about right. They pretended like Gish was a full band effort up until that point.

Old 09-21-2018, 01:55 AM   #12
redbreegull

Gish probably does feature more playing by James and D'arcy than SD.

I guess James was not feeling good about SD hardly featuring his playing and decided to speak up. I remember many years later, Billy saying he would have been happy to let the perception stand because he always thought bands seemed cooler than solo artists or whatever, and he didn't understand why James betrayed the illusion.

Old 09-21-2018, 01:56 AM   #13
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

Are we even sure D'arcy did anything at all on SD? At least on Gish there's one solid piece of evidence proving so

Old 09-21-2018, 01:57 AM   #14
redbreegull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mals Marola View Post
Are we even sure D'arcy did anything at all on SD? At least on Gish there's one solid piece of evidence proving so
No, she probably didn't although I kind of recall Billy pointing out some stylistic and instrumentation things which were her ideas

Old 09-21-2018, 02:03 AM   #15
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

The only song we know she played on for sure on SD is "Luna" because she threatened to quit the band if he didn't let her play on something.

Old 09-21-2018, 02:07 AM   #16
soniclovenoize
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post
Gish probably does feature more playing by James and D'arcy than SD.
Yeah, James is definitely on Gish, it isn't all Billy. You can clearly hear James' rhythm guitar on I Am One... Panned to the right iirc. Past that though, it sounds like its mostly B0llyland, especially the super-precise dual rhythms (in Bury me for example). I always thought it'd be an interesting experiment to try to map out who played what on Gish, to see what else James played, A/Bed to his guitar parts live.

There's also circumstantial evidence... he's singing on Bury Me, and also played on Why Am i So Tired, which was apparently tracked live. So he was there, at least for initial tracking. Whether he stuck around for months of overdubs is another story.

Old 09-21-2018, 02:18 AM   #17
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

Butch Vig Interview Excerpt:
"Smashing Pumpkins were a great band. If you ever saw them live, they’re all badass players, but Billy Corgan is a better guitar player than James, and he's a better bass player than D'arcy.

"We would track a song, and we would record it trying to make sure we had a really good feel for it, but primarily I was listening to make sure we got a killer drum take by Jimmy Chamberlin.

"Then we would usually go back and overdub everything, and Billy was just better at redoing the guitars and bass. On both [1991's] 'Gish' and [1993's] 'Siamese Dream,' D'arcy and James played a little bit, but it's over 90% Billy, because he's a phenomenal musician.

"There was conflict - I think the band felt like, 'We are good enough to do it.' Like I said, D'arcy and James are amazing musicians. There were times when I would sit in the studio and give them the time to do that, and I would say at the end of the day, you can track a part, but I think Billy's going to want to come in, and I want to see if he can beat it. So at least they had an opportunity to do that.

"There were some times I chose D'arcy's part, or James, over Billy's. To say there was conflict in that band, that's not the only reason there was conflict. There were a lot of things pulling at Smashing Pumpkins. Somehow I made it through two album cycles with them. They were always on the verge of imploding."

Old 09-21-2018, 04:47 AM   #18
eviltimeban
Apocalyptic Poster

Billy said "the music came first". But I bet if one of his parts was replaced by Iha or D'arcy he'd get sniffy about it.

I always took Gish to be more of a band album. And SD to be the obsessive-compulsive Billy album.

Old 09-21-2018, 11:13 AM   #19
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

i guess you could call Butch Vig the original BC "yes man" ?

Of course, those were the days where it probably helped more than hurt, but even so, the first domino had fallen!

Old 09-21-2018, 09:36 PM   #20
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoolofaTook View Post
this is what you have been reduced to fuzzy. this.

i weep for your fall.
I'm certainly hurt about being banned from the gen forums, but the truth is, it's been something of a blessing in disguise.

I've used the ban to seek out other communities and I've been very well received. I've also been familiarizing myself with Reddit and I've been a HUGE hit over there. It's staggering really, I can't even believe it. I'll post some thought or observation and I'll literally get hundreds of "upvotes". My "karma rating" over there is literally though the roof, and I've only been conversing over there for a short time. It feels good. I've got some Netphoria friends who I've met up with over there too.

So all is good brother-took. All is good indeed.

Old 09-21-2018, 09:37 PM   #21
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

LITERALLY through the roof

Old 09-21-2018, 09:38 PM   #22
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

a HUGE hit
very well-received
the kids are LOVING it

Old 09-21-2018, 09:44 PM   #23
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

so lemme guess

r/the_donald

Old 09-21-2018, 09:45 PM   #24
FoolofaTook

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyroes View Post
I'm certainly hurt about being banned from the gen forums, but the truth is, it's been something of a blessing in disguise.

I've used the ban to seek out other communities and I've been very well received. I've also been familiarizing myself with Reddit and I've been a HUGE hit over there. It's staggering really, I can't even believe it. I'll post some thought or observation and I'll literally get hundreds of "upvotes". My "karma rating" over there is literally though the roof, and I've only been conversing over there for a short time. It feels good. I've got some Netphoria friends who I've met up with over there too.

So all is good brother-took. All is good indeed.
Thanks for sharing. I see some great anal(lol)ogies to my own banishment from human society. Now I only need to find some alternate sentient species that welcomes felons into the fold...

Old 09-21-2018, 09:46 PM   #25
fuzzyroes
Banned

You should hit up Reddit Took. It's a vast community with well trafficked communities for just about anything. There's groups for fantasy novels and stuff, you'd love it.

Old 09-21-2018, 09:48 PM   #26
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by reprise85 View Post
so lemme guess

r/the_donald
Yeah, that's a pretty cool community. A lot of decent folks. I think I've had a few posts there that have gone over the 100 upvote threshold.

Old 09-21-2018, 09:48 PM   #27
FoolofaTook

yes like i dont already waste too much of my worthless life on here

Old 09-21-2018, 09:53 PM   #28
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyroes View Post
Yeah, that's a pretty cool community. A lot of decent folks. I think I've had a few posts there that have gone over the 100 upvote threshold.
well i know your account... looks like you may be exaggerating just a little

Old 09-21-2018, 09:57 PM   #29
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

isn't teen mom a show for teenagers?

Old 09-21-2018, 10:02 PM   #30
FoolofaTook

yes. and men like fuzzy.