slunken
Virgo

lol

Old 09-26-2013, 10:54 PM   #62
Raskolnikov
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by noyen View Post
he turns a few times where that flat pressed cordurouy buttcrack is right there and you kind of hope to see him grab the belt loops at some point of the show or even tug down his shirt just to show he is sort of self aware, but noooooo its just like watching blair witch project with that long as fuck scene with the girl talkin into the camera and there is a drip of snot on her nose the whole time and youre like WIPE IT OFF WIPE OT OFF and she never does and eventually you just smash your television with a brick.
Perfect, perfect analogy. Can't imagine knowing a show was being filmed, and not at least TRY to reach and hike up my pants now and again. Just boggles my mind.

Was at home over the weekend with cable and a Tivo and my Dad taped it so I could get the sample. Love how all Palladia did was give you like 3/x of the Oceania tracks and then gave what I thought was the full encore. Also was funny that even my parents who caught part of it noticed - and couldn't stop relentlessly teasing the whole exposed butt crack situation, which is just absurd. WHY IS THAT DAMN SHIRT SO SMALL, MAN?

Really, I still have major problems with that tour setlist. It was cool to see Oceania live: it took my least favorite cut on the album (Wildflower) and made it my top cut somehow, proof that somewhere, ol' BC still has it. Past that, the greatest hits encore stuff just grated on me.

This all said: still frustrated that I'll have to figure out a way to get lossless audio of the show from somebody who buys the CD/DVD set, since if anything, I'll be buying the blu-ray. A fundamentally flawed product option menu. Blu-ray should at LEAST come with an MP3 download code or something.

Old 09-27-2013, 05:56 PM   #63
Ram27
dumb

...what the fuck....is

I'm not sure it's that he's not putting emotion into the old stuff, but that those were written in mind for when his voice/band sounded different. Trying to play it now sounds bad, whereas Oceania takes into account the new drummer and Billy's new singing style, so it sounds pretty okay.

Old 09-27-2013, 07:18 PM   #64
Adult Head
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacGyver View Post
I mean, who in God's name drew this!??
maxwell

Old 09-27-2013, 10:18 PM   #65
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacGyver View Post
Upon watching this I can say I appreciate Oceania a LITTLE bit more seeing it all played out.. Especially One Diamond which absolutely sucks on the album but completely different in a live setting.. It was nice seeing Billy shredding the guitar, and playing around with his little Melotron, but 3 very annoying elements were-

1. The extended solo drum intro for Space Oddity (there's this annoying chick in the crowd repeatedly screaming "MIIIIKKEEEYYYYY!!!!" until the rest of the band drowns her out..

2. I hate to beat a dead horse but why in the fuck wouldn't Billy have worn clothes that fit him knowing full well they were taping this for the first official DVD release of the new SP playing live? As much as he stalks these forums, bitching and complaining about all the stuff we say- you'd think by now he would have changed things up a little bit. Everywhere you see him now he's dressed in clothes 3 sizes too small. What happened to all the crazy costumes? He could easily hide the extra pounds in stuff like that. He dresses like a tight ass hipster douchebag now that he's older for some odd reason.

3. Again, with Billy knowing this was going to be a live DVD, then why wouldn't he put more emotion into his voice than usual? Most of the Oceania tracks were sung good, but everything else was complete shit. I'm just to the point where I wish this guy would STOP before he cements these new members to be who everyone thinks the Smashing Pumpkins are/were 10 years from now. I mean, who in God's name drew this!?? People are confused.

http://i1318.photobucket.com/albums/...ps1a1c00da.jpg

Overall it wasn't as horrible as I thought it would be, but I was curious about the visual stuff from Sean Evans, and I wanted to hear the Dream Machine in good quality which wasn't terrible either. *sigh*
haha in what world is that Mike Byrne? Some long haired "guy" with big muscles. That's hilarious. I guess people really are confused

Old 09-27-2013, 10:28 PM   #66
bs1933
Demi-God

I'm watching now on vh1 classic. Tuned in super late and missed all of Oceania (shame) and the band was great actually. Sadly I have to say that billy seems the least talented musician in the group. Jeff plays leads/solos that billy used to play. :-/ and you know we laugh and call him belly. It's hard to stay trim As you age but come on any fat girl will tell you to wear clothes that flatter you. I mean come on. Not dogging on the guy for putting a few on but tight hipster tees should just be for like doing laundry or vacuuming the house. I think I will still buy this. The band sounds good and we have 5.1 surround so I think the blu ray will be sweet

Old 09-27-2013, 10:41 PM   #67
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bs1933 View Post
I'm watching now on vh1 classic. Tuned in super late and missed all of Oceania (shame) and the band was great actually. Sadly I have to say that billy seems the least talented musician in the group. Jeff plays leads/solos that billy used to play. :-/ and you know we laugh and call him belly. It's hard to stay trim As you age but come on any fat girl will tell you to wear clothes that flatter you. I mean come on. Not dogging on the guy for putting a few on but tight hipster tees should just be for like doing laundry or vacuuming the house. I think I will still buy this. The band sounds good and we have 5.1 surround so I think the blu ray will be sweet
Yeah I heard some of the show... Nicole and Jeff are really solid musicians, worthy of "carrying the torch" so to speak... I just can't get over the massive downgrade percussion wise... It's just so extreme... Like not even in the same ball-park.

Jimmy was a huge influence on me in my playing, and I've studied his work thoroughly ... Then theres Byrne... It's the equivalent to a cheap Chinese 10 dollar knock-off of some super expensive 1000 dollar shoes or sunglasses or something. I've tried, I've gave it a fair chance... but I just can't get past it.

Corgan deserves better... Especially at this point in his career.

Old 09-28-2013, 12:13 AM   #68
stumpycat
Apocalyptic Poster

I enjoy the drawing...even though it makes NO DAMNED SENSE. I mean, it's 1999 era Billy + Gish era D'arcy + ....two random dudes from some early 2000s alt rock band.

Old 09-28-2013, 12:43 AM   #69
Springbridge
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by marce View Post
Gohastings has the CD+DVD pack on sale for $9.99!

http://www.gohastings.com/product/PO...s#.UjRXJtKsiSM
It's actually $25.43.

Old 09-28-2013, 12:46 AM   #70
Springbridge
Ownz

I'm gonna buy it, I found in on amazon for about $17 for the Blu-ray.

I'm really glad I bought the double DVD If All Goes Wrong, I pulled it out the other month and really enjoyed watching it again, it was almost like experiencing it new.

It will be good to keep for the long-run, when I can watch it years from now.

For 17 bucks for the blu-ray, why not!

Old 09-29-2013, 08:30 AM   #71
wounded
Apocalyptic Poster

i like if all goes wrong a lot. i find it very interesting. they clearly went set out to make a different documentary and it kind of went in a totally different direction and exposed the exact relationship corgan has with his fans and created an interesting dichotomy. a great roc doc.

i wish i could buy oasis storytellers on blu-ray. that's entertainment

Old 09-29-2013, 09:36 AM   #72
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyroes View Post

Corgan deserves better... Especially at this point in his career.
yes billy needs to hire a world class drummer so he can get back to playing world class rock and roll band music yaaaaaaawwwwwn

Old 09-29-2013, 11:02 AM   #73
duovamp
Brazilian Blouselord

http://i1318.photobucket.com/albums/...ps1a1c00da.jpg

omfg lol

Old 09-29-2013, 11:23 AM   #74
Ram27
dumb

....i still don't get that.

Does the guy think Jimmy was named Mike? Why is Darcy so short? Why is a drummer even in the picture during the Adore era (Billy)? Why is James wearing a Zero shirt (also during the Adore era)? Why does the heart logo look so shitty? If this is the guy's dream lineup, why is he such a fuckhead?

Old 09-29-2013, 12:05 PM   #75
whywontyoulistn
Ownz

Quote:
Hot Models Needed -SMASHING PUMPKINS CONCERT TV SPECIAL ! (Barclay Center - Brooklyn)
Date: 2012-12-09, 1:33AM EST
[email protected][?]
Seeking Hot Models for Smashing Pumpkins Live 3D Concert Filming this Monday Night 12/10 at Barclay Center in Brooklyn - Models to be On Camera in the front row, and you get to watch an awesome concert !. $50 Pay, plus free concert ticket and invite to After Party.
If you're a fan, even better !

Please send full body photo and contact info and will will contact you, if you are selected.

it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests
Compensation: $50.00 plus free concert ticket

PostingID:3465794759
So...are they hot?

Old 09-29-2013, 06:14 PM   #76
Barry swedgin
Pledge

The CDs are pretty good. The classics sound pretty nice!

Old 09-29-2013, 06:25 PM   #77
Ram27
dumb

no

Old 09-29-2013, 07:43 PM   #78
themadcaplaughs
Apocalyptic Poster

Some thoughts...

-They REALLY need to get another permanent live keyboard player. I know Billy and Jeff have gone out about how it helps the band "bond" or something, but seeing them play to backing tracks on songs like "Violet Rays" is extraordinarily lame, and gives even more of the impression that this is a poor man's Smashing Pumpkins. I'm not saying have someone like Garson who has to do ten minutes wank keyboard solos, but Lisa was a happy medium. She was very talented but didn't overplay.
-"Pinwheels" sound much better live. It was one of my least favorite tracks on the album but actually works here.
-"The Chimera" just sounds like a muddy mess.
-Gotta give credit where it's due, "Wildflower" is a great song. I more or less ignored it in 2012, but this version was great and made me pull up the studio version which is also very well done.
-I do not have a particular problem with the band covering "Space Oddity," but it's so dang long.
-When I saw them in Atlanta last May, "X.Y.U." was without a doubt one of the moments that almost killed the momentum of the show dead. It seemed to work a lot better at this particular show. I'm still somewhat opposed to the band playing it. I do not think they lack the talent (it's not exactly a song that requires subtlety) but this lineup just lacks the viciousness needed to play such an over-the-top song.
-After all I've heard about it, I was somewhat surprised at how mediocre "The Dream Machine" was. Has some cool parts, but is way overlong and parts of it sound like someone who has just learned drop-d tuning on guitar.
-"Hummer" works very well. Not saying it's anywhere as good as when it was performed in 1993-1994 or 2007, but I actually thought it was the best of the second set. It sounds a lot better than when they'd play it in 2010.
-Although the backing tracks irks me again, I actually like the performance of "Disarm." It has mixtures of how they'd play it in 1996 with elements of the "heavy version" from Earphoria.

Last edited by themadcaplaughs : 09-29-2013 at 07:53 PM.

Old 09-29-2013, 08:09 PM   #79
Ram27
dumb

The Disarm that's truer to SD is pretty nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by themadcaplaughs View Post
Some thoughts...
-"Hummer" works very well. Not saying it's anywhere as good as when it was performed in 1993-1994 or 2007, but I actually thought it was the best of the second set. It sounds a lot better than when they'd play it in 2010.
Burnsie's fill during the 'I want something new' part of Hummer is still absolutely inexcusable. I can't really agree with anyone describing the performance with a positive adjective.

Old 09-29-2013, 09:12 PM   #80
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
-After all I've heard about it, I was somewhat surprised at how mediocre "The Dream Machine" was. Has some cool parts, but is way overlong and parts of it sound like someone who has just learned drop-d tuning on guitar..
this is every sp extended jam since for forever. really they all follow the exact same formula.

Old 09-29-2013, 09:53 PM   #81
themadcaplaughs
Apocalyptic Poster

That's very true. Even beyond "jam" songs, there seems to be a formula for "heavy" songs as well. Quasar sounds like Superchrist with someone playing a drums on garbage can lids, and Superchrist sounded like a shittier version of United States. God, just thinking about Quasar makes me pissed. I nominate that as the true bottom of Billy's songwriting. I'll take "Astral Planes" over "Quasar" any day.

Old 09-30-2013, 12:02 AM   #82
stumpycat
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by slunken View Post
this is every sp extended jam since for forever. really they all follow the exact same formula.
Haha. QFT. This is the dirty little secret about all SP jams. But I swear they used to be more coherent, like a repeated droning riff with a few teases, blistering solos and a little other cool shit thrown in along the way. Now they just seem to be long as fuck and to meander off into tangents.

Old 09-30-2013, 09:25 AM   #83
Ram27
dumb

Listen to the 34 minute Silverfuck.

The loud shit is the least captivating

Old 09-30-2013, 11:14 AM   #84
T&T
Socialphobic

Quote:
-They REALLY need to get another permanent live keyboard player. I know Billy and Jeff have gone out about how it helps the band "bond" or something, but seeing them play to backing tracks on songs like "Violet Rays" is extraordinarily lame, and gives even more of the impression that this is a poor man's Smashing Pumpkins. I'm not saying have someone like Garson who has to do ten minutes wank keyboard solos, but Lisa was a happy medium. She was very talented but didn't overplay.
they should get that Melvoin guy (from the MCIS era) back!
///// get him to replace mike!

Old 09-30-2013, 01:17 PM   #85
Ram27
dumb

God more adore

Old 09-30-2013, 04:51 PM   #86
slunken
Virgo

god milk?

Old 09-30-2013, 05:43 PM   #87
Adult Head
Ownz

GOD MONEY

Old 10-01-2013, 12:32 AM   #88
autumn_amnesiac
Pledge

it's all so meh.
mike is overplaying so much it's annoying.
who do they think they are, kraftwerk with all the keyboards in the front.
but on the upside, with oceanina live...i've think i've cemented a sorta appreciation for the album, but it's still really lackluster compared to it all.

it just irks me that he's still calling it the smashing pumpkins.
i'd have no beef if it were a different name or even a solo thing.
shit, hearing the older sp songs at the end of the show is so fucking jarring.
Doesn't even feel natural.

btw. anyone know how the 3d presentation is?
haven't found anything regarding that aspect, and really would hate to give them a penny just to see how the depth and stereo is on a proper set up.

Old 10-01-2013, 12:43 AM   #89
pavementtune

Location: I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.

I don't understand why they thought they could get the 3D version into cinemas.

Old 10-01-2013, 04:40 AM   #90
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

Awful performance.

>>>