Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Smashing Pumpkins Boards > Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2019, 02:07 PM   #31
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

Don't have much of an issue with Byrne. His drumming on Oceania was good and he does stuff that 90% of drummers can't do. The drum production on that album was not good however. Also saw the tour and the kid was pretty good live. Poor guy joined the band thinking he was gonna play Gish and Siamese Dream style stuff and got saddled with Corgan's late stage dad prog.

Old 04-15-2019, 03:06 PM   #32
Kumar Littlejeans
Demi-God

The bulk of the fanbase, especially the vocal part that was constantly ragging on this guy, grew up on Jimmy and the guy from Tool, two of the greatest rock drummers ever. Mike was not those guys but better than 90% of drummers. That wasn't good enough.

Old 04-15-2019, 04:14 PM   #33
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Location: Let me see you do the booty hop. And now make the booty stop. Now drop, and do the booty wop.
Red face

I know squat about drumming but am very suggestible, so every time someone was like "Can you believe he hit the tom at 1:06 during Cherub Rock at the 9/11/01 headliner in New York" I would just nod and be like "Yes, who does this joker think he is"

Old 04-15-2019, 04:54 PM   #34
jimmy drevpile
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninsp View Post
He’s like that kid in your high school at the talent show who would get standing ovations from the whole school. Definitely talented, but not good enough to be successful. That’s really all there is to it. He has no touch, it just was bam bam all the time. SP is a band that demands touch, which is Jimmy’s best skill, as a jazz drummer.

That being said, Corgan destroyed the kid, and that’s awful.
Agree on all counts. Sad times. Sad times.

Minimal dynamic sense, zero personal style, not as technically proficient at replicating JC’s parts as other drummers (Matt Walker was better in this regard), mostly - played the drums, not the songs. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29DwZkz0jWI

Probably not the most of his egregious of sins but i can't be bothered watching his stuff again - but this over playing ... just urgh. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ka6AlxE_Jkw

Then again. Wilk: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aFfcXu06Nk yeesh :\

Kudos for servicing some of JC's parts - but mostly he was worse that some of the cover band drummers you see pop up on here... This is mostly ghastly: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8x5AazICdr4 ...

As for those who say he was great in his Math Rock band. He was clearly better suited to that style it seems - but did he stand apart from his contemporaries in that genre though? Not in the least. Sorry.

Anyway, palette cleanser: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4Imf_anNCY

Quote:
Originally Posted by topleybird View Post
I know squat about drumming but am very suggestible, so every time someone was like "Can you believe he hit the tom at 1:06 during Cherub Rock at the 9/11/01 headliner in New York" I would just nod and be like "Yes, who does this joker think he is"
:lol:

Old 04-15-2019, 04:55 PM   #35
jimmy drevpile
Apocalyptic Poster

Old 04-15-2019, 06:54 PM   #36
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

is there something else you wanted to say?

Old 04-16-2019, 12:28 AM   #37
Ram27
dumb

god those two hummers are....well, they're not the same band, are they. jesus

I wonder if 94 tone/vox + MB drums or JC drums + OC tone/vox would sound better

Old 04-16-2019, 11:58 AM   #38
Big Truck05
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by topleybird View Post
haha, exactly.

Old 04-16-2019, 11:59 AM   #39
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

94 tone/vox +

Old 04-16-2019, 12:00 PM   #40
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

fwiw i think even if Byrney-boy timetravelled to '94 and played with the Pumpkins it wouldn't have been as good as JC + BC might have been during the Oach era. I don't think Billy would have played the same and it would have just been thwarted anyway - hell, he might have even drummed on SD if that were the case!

Old 04-16-2019, 12:06 PM   #41
Big Truck05
Apocalyptic Poster

I enjoyed SFAS and Eye here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgsd4nOlMdI

Old 04-17-2019, 08:37 PM   #42
Corgan's Bluff
Minion of Satan

Mike Byrne as a respectable camera man, Monte being recognized to be on LSD...

Old 04-18-2019, 02:45 AM   #43
Raskolnikov
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninsp View Post
Also that version of Tonight Tonight is probably my favorite live arrangement.
Totally agree with you on this one - love the reprise vocal intro - I also really dig Jeff's recreation of the strings with the ebow. Great live version of the song.

Not a drummer, so can't really comment on the Byrne as talent thing - but do we really think BC ruined him? I mean, do we really think his other band was going to gain traction? Dude got to:

1.) Travel the world for a few years - I mean, Glastonbury video there c'mon
2.) Hang out with one of his musical idols
3.) Make enough cash to take a good few strides ahead in life
4.) Say he was the drummer for SP and always have a good story to tell at a party
5.) Be on that interview where BC was taking a pile of vitamins (link?)

And most importantly, he was on what is BAR NONE their weirdest TV apperance ever, the "Widow Wake my Mind" on Leno which I've re-uploaded for your downloading pleasure here:

https://we.tl/t-Rt2fNg7Hfv

Old 04-18-2019, 09:39 AM   #44
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

Was Corgan really one of his idols? For some reason I always got the impression that he wasn't a huge fan so much as he just sort of ended up at an audition for a big band and against all odds, got in

prob has something to do with the "SP is boring" or whatever comment Croggo said he made towards the end

Old 04-18-2019, 09:41 AM   #45
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

in any case, there's no way the venture with SP hurt more than helped him, at least professionally. i'm sure there are some mental repercussions, temporary or otherwise, but that kind of trauma is probably inevitable at that level of the industry. you're gonna be involved with some asshole regardless. now he has "played with Smashing Pumpkins" on his resume and a few more thousand people know what the fuck "Bearcubbin" is

Old 04-18-2019, 10:51 AM   #46
srt4b
Apocalyptic Poster

Mike is living the dream.

We should start a fund to cover the legal costs of breaking his NDA.

Old 04-18-2019, 10:57 AM   #47
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

No Dad's Allowed?

Old 04-18-2019, 09:40 PM   #48
johncg
Apocalyptic Poster

Billy, 2011: “Wow this kid can fucking play. Very mature for his age. I hope this incarnation of the band lasts a long time. This is the best and happiest SP ever.”

Billy, 2014: “Tommy Lee is playing on the new album cause he doesn’t need coaching. PS I hate millennials and will never work with one again.”

Mike tried. But very few people over the years have survived Billy’s pattern of idealizing his relationships with people only to viciously rip them apart in the press a couple years later.

I feel for the kid. Talk about having a once in a lifetime opportunity blow up in your face!

Old 04-18-2019, 11:40 PM   #49
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mals Marola View Post
in any case, there's no way the venture with SP hurt more than helped him, at least professionally. i'm sure there are some mental repercussions, temporary or otherwise, but that kind of trauma is probably inevitable at that level of the industry. you're gonna be involved with some asshole regardless. now he has "played with Smashing Pumpkins" on his resume and a few more thousand people know what the fuck "Bearcubbin" is
I'm still surprised that he hasn't been able to parlay the years as the drummer in Smashing Pumpkins into any work afterwards.

Old 04-18-2019, 11:44 PM   #50
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by johncg View Post
I feel for the kid. Talk about having a once in a lifetime opportunity blow up in your face!
The kid kinda dug his own grave. Aside from not being very good, he tried to get his own band off of the ground while simultaneously playing with the Pumpkins. Doesn't take a genius to realize that Corgan's not the kind of guy who likes his bandmates doing other projects. It gives the impression that they're just trying to use their platform as a stepping stone... Super dumb. I think it's part of the reason why Nicole got fired too.

Old 04-18-2019, 11:44 PM   #51
NovaFritz
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyroes View Post
I'm still surprised that he hasn't been able to parlay the years as the drummer in Smashing Pumpkins into any work afterwards.
To be fair, if BC's career had started with his work in SP2, i don't think he would be able to parlay anything either

Old 04-19-2019, 12:34 AM   #52
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaFritz View Post
To be fair, if BC's career had started with his work in SP2, i don't think he would be able to parlay anything either
It's still a very lucrative brand-name.

Old 04-19-2019, 11:12 AM   #53
johncg
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyroes View Post
The kid kinda dug his own grave.
You’re right. Quitting his job at McDonald’s to tour with one of the biggest rock bands in the world at age 18 was a horrible, short-sighted decision. Why would anyone ever do anything so stupid like get paid tons of money to do what they love in an industry which is almost impossible to break into?

Dug his own grave, he did.

Old 04-19-2019, 11:12 AM   #54
BurtSampson
Apocalyptic Poster

didn't they have to like splice together drum samples for Oceania?

Old 04-19-2019, 11:16 AM   #55
johncg
Apocalyptic Poster

Butch Vig did some tape splicing of the best parts of Jimmy’s takes on “Cherub Rock.” Doesn’t necessarily mean he’s a bad drummer. And either way you can’t really judge a musician on one album or one band they played in. And he was 19. It takes an insane amount of talent to get as far as he got in the business that young. He’s allowed to make mistakes along the way.

Old 04-19-2019, 11:21 AM   #56
johncg
Apocalyptic Poster

I’ve seen world class jazz musicians go up on the bandstand and play kinda shitty at times. Sometimes it’s just how it goes. Just like every stand up comedian goes up there and bombs once in awhile if they are worth their salt.

Also can you imagine the pressure and insanity of being in the studio working with billy on his “teargarden song cycle based on the anus of the tarot” or whatever? The man doesn’t exactly have a good track record of bringing the best out of his collaborators.

Old 04-19-2019, 01:10 PM   #57
myosis
Minion of Satan

Of course the kid wants to have his own band alongside. He has little to no creative input in SP. It's not like Bearcubbin was marketed as the band with the drummer from SP.

Old 04-19-2019, 08:12 PM   #58
Funbags
Apocalyptic Poster

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by myosis View Post
Of course the kid wants to have his own band alongside. He has little to no creative input in SP. It's not like Bearcubbin was marketed as the band with the drummer from SP.
Still, if I were in a famous band, I would be sooo devoted...like Jeff! Billy's whole thing was "I let you join my famous band and it's not good enough for you??"

Old 04-19-2019, 09:29 PM   #59
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by johncg View Post
You’re right. Quitting his job at McDonald’s to tour with one of the biggest rock bands in the world at age 18 was a horrible, short-sighted decision. Why would anyone ever do anything so stupid like get paid tons of money to do what they love in an industry which is almost impossible to break into?
That's why he should have kept his music endeavors limited strictly to Smashing Pumpkins. Dude won the lottery and then the second he has some free time he tries to get another band off of the ground and plans a tour and shit... Bad optics.

I know I know, "he was just having some fun with his friends, it wasn't going to take away from Smashing Pumpkins". Doesn't matter. It seemed like he was trying to get his own band publicity on the back of Smashing Pumpkins. Doesn't take a genius to realize that it would rub Corgan the wrong way.

Old 04-19-2019, 09:33 PM   #60
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funbags View Post
Still, if I were in a famous band, I would be sooo devoted...like Jeff! Billy's whole thing was "I let you join my famous band and it's not good enough for you??"
Lol exactly.

And I remember one of the kids in his band was slagging Billy off to some little news site Lmao... How dumb can you get? But alas, he was 20 years old... Nicole on the other hand should've known better.