Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > General Chat Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06-22-2018, 09:47 PM   #7771
Elphenor
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by reprise85 View Post
no I didn't work full time, usually only 14-20 hours per week near the end when shit got harder. during my AA I worked about 25-30 hours per week. i got enough grants + scholarships to pay for school and most living expenses and with work only took $1000 in loans during my AA, but during the last two years i took out max loans since I worked less plus tuition was about 2x the amount as community college. so my grants + scholarships basically paid for tuition and not much more during the second half of my BA. and now I owe like 30k in loans... lol?

the american dream, working and in school and getting a 4.0 and still owing 30k in loans and that's only two fuckin years, 4 years of that I would have owed 60k for a fucking BA

speaking of, my loans are coming due but i am doing income based repayment and i think i'll not owe anything yet. regular plan i owe like $331/mo which i absolutely can't pay

i tried to have school and work on different days, not always possible but i'd rather have a bunch of 8 hour days, even if i don't get days off, than 8am-midnight kinda days. but that's just me
yeah I'm trying to get through community college with no loans

I'd like to plan it where I go to school on my days off but wends and thurs are my days off, classes are usually MW or TT, seems unavoidable that I'll have to rush to a night class directly following a 10hr shift

and then my days off will be all study

$331/mon sounds super painful to me

Old 06-22-2018, 10:10 PM   #7772
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elphenor View Post
yeah I'm trying to get through community college with no loans

I'd like to plan it where I go to school on my days off but wends and thurs are my days off, classes are usually MW or TT, seems unavoidable that I'll have to rush to a night class directly following a 10hr shift

and then my days off will be all study

$331/mon sounds super painful to me
sounds harsh man. i knew people who worked overnight and then did early morning classes. takes dedication. and yeah i can't afford 331/mo. i think when they recalculate it will be $20 or less for now

Old 06-23-2018, 12:05 AM   #7773
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

forgot to share this funny story:

when i was in serbia i passed by two little gypsy girls on the street. the first girl said to the other: "is that a man or a woman?"

lol

Old 06-23-2018, 03:02 AM   #7774
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

When I was in my first year at uni, my algebra and geometry lecturer was talking about proofs and hypotheses, and he said “For example, my hypothesis is, if you have a part time job, you will not get an A in this class.”

I was like, ouch. You mean old bastard.

Old 06-23-2018, 03:18 AM   #7775
Disco King
Minion of Satan

I had a prof for a philosophy course who began the first day going on a lecture about how you should only take her class if you're really invested in it, how much hard work the class supposedly is, how difficult the material is, how you shouldn't take it if you're taking a full course load, how it may be too difficult for those working full time, etc.

She was just full of herself. Some people just have to convince themselves that what they teach is incredibly complex in order to justify devoting their entire professional lives to it. I mean, philosophy is incredibly complex, but this was literally an introductory-level course, not some grad seminar or anything. And it was continental philosophy, not analytic, so the whole attitude was probably her way of getting across how much "deeper" continental shit is compared to analytic philosophy.

She did not like that I spent the rest of the semester poking holes in a lot of the philosophers she taught's writings. The funny thing is, in philosophy courses in the analytic tradition, students are encouraged to assess the arguments in the material and point out shortcomings if we find any, or articulate why we agree if we find no faults with them. In this conty course, none of the assignments had any critical components, and we were just supposed to regurgitate the writers' thoughts and meditate on how "deep" and "profound" they are. Any criticism would be met with "you just don't understand what the philosopher is saying," or the prof straight up making shit up on the spot to defend the work, stuff that could easily be disconfirmed by a quick Google search.

Seriously, fuck Derrida.

Old 06-23-2018, 07:58 AM   #7776
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

First thing my phil prof did when he became prof (only 1 prof, who is head of dept., and maybe a couple of associate profs per dept. in NZ, everyone else is just a lecturer - that's beside the point, but anyway, that's the way it is) was shorten the compulsory Kant class for honours students from full year to half year. And that half year was seriously bad enough.

This same prof said, in our first year epistemology class, something about "and then you just end up like those French existentialists, who are in my opinion, a bunch of obfuscatory ratbags." Hard to forget something like that.

It wasn't until I was forced to read Habermas while I was forming an honours topic, because my supervisor was recruiting minions in his flame war against him, that I began to see the value of continental philosophy. I think by then I was beginning to tire of the contemporary analytic tradition, something like

"I have here for you, limited and qualified premises A-D, including conditional B which as you can see has been satisfied. Therefore conclusion E is inevitable. I await your response, in this same academic journal, in a month's time."

The gripe I had with continental philosophy was how so much effort had to be invested to comprehend something that was basically nonsense. I sort of reached a point where the same seemed to be true of a lot of philosophy authored in the analytic tradition. I guess maybe I was coming to terms with the general uselessness of philosophy, in many contexts.

Old 06-23-2018, 10:56 AM   #7777
LaBelle
Socialphobic

I almost did my vestibular for philosophy, but ultimately I went "fuck thinking" and chose film school instead.

Old 06-23-2018, 12:23 PM   #7778
FoolofaTook

i smoked a lot of weed.

Old 06-23-2018, 03:57 PM   #7779
FoolofaTook

i have returned from an unsuccessful pilgrimage to find hashish on jaffa street. google is wack. that street is full of cops and kids eating ice cream.

Old 06-23-2018, 04:25 PM   #7780
LaBelle
Socialphobic

You think it was ice cream

Old 06-23-2018, 08:33 PM   #7781
fuzzyroes
Banned

Picked up this for a buck at Value Village

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/tEIAA...llf/s-l640.jpg

On the front it says " The movies have a bonafide new star 'Bingo' - A sort of canine Macaulay Culkin."

Haha how dope is that? Canine Macaulay Culkin. Only in the 90's!

Old 06-23-2018, 08:56 PM   #7782
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

IDK if you remember but I told you to watch this movie a while ago and you said it sounded awesome

Old 06-23-2018, 11:23 PM   #7783
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

Took my boy enjoy Jerusalem and the holy glow that has been causing people to co continuously inflict violence on each other for decades

If you wanna buy weed I hear "telegrass" is all the rage with kids nowadays. I personally never used it but it's a WhatsApp group or whatever that supposedly makes it super easy and available. טלגראס for your copy pasting pleasure.

Don't oversmoke tho

Old 06-24-2018, 12:16 AM   #7784
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by reprise85 View Post
IDK if you remember but I told you to watch this movie a while ago and you said it sounded awesome
Yeah, I do remember us spitballing about it. I remember seeing it as a little boy in theaters, but I don't remember anything about it. I was happy to snatch up a copy of it!

Old 06-24-2018, 12:22 AM   #7785
fuzzyroes
Banned

I also happened to pick up this

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....4,203,200_.jpg

(don't know if any non Canadians recognize him, but that's Don Cherry, the guy is one of the most beloved Canadians and considered a national treasure out here) It's essentially a VHS with a bunch of the most violent hockey fights and hits from an era when the league wasn't concerned about concussions. I can't wait to pop this in.

I also found this new in it's original shrink-wrap!

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/BmkAA...UW2/s-l300.jpg

How cool is that? Over 20 years old and brand new. I almost feel like it'd be a disservice to open the thing. It's certainly a lot more collectible still sealed, but I'm not sure there's much of a market for a straight to video late 90's Addams Family release.

Picked up those 3 gems for a buck a piece. Doesn't get much sweeter than that.

Last edited by fuzzyroes : 06-24-2018 at 12:28 AM.

Old 06-24-2018, 02:38 AM   #7786
FoolofaTook

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh b0lly!!1 View Post
Took my boy enjoy Jerusalem and the holy glow that has been causing people to co continuously inflict violence on each other for decades

If you wanna buy weed I hear "telegrass" is all the rage with kids nowadays. I personally never used it but it's a WhatsApp group or whatever that supposedly makes it super easy and available. טלגראס for your copy pasting pleasure.

Don't oversmoke tho
don't i need a working phone to use telegrass?

i suppose i could google this...

Old 06-24-2018, 02:40 AM   #7787
FoolofaTook

i saw empty baggies of mr. nice guy (synthetic 'weed') but i don't think i want to smoke that shit.

east jerusalem, where i am staying, is really sad. no offense to our jewish pals here but fuck the state of israel.

Old 06-24-2018, 02:42 AM   #7788
FoolofaTook

damn that shit is on fb!

Old 06-24-2018, 02:45 AM   #7789
FoolofaTook

goddamn i think i need a phone

Old 06-24-2018, 06:03 AM   #7790
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoolofaTook View Post
i saw empty baggies of mr. nice guy (synthetic 'weed') but i don't think i want to smoke that shit.

east jerusalem, where i am staying, is really sad. no offense to our jewish pals here but fuck the state of israel.
do not smoke "nice guy". i've heard horrific things about it and it's most definitely not weed-ish by any measure. total chemical trash or whatever it even is.

i suppose you need a whatsapp account for telegrass, which should work even using wifi alone, but i can't really be of any assistance there cause i never personally used it.

it's a shame we couldn't get together, we only just missed each other. i was in Israel like, this fucken month. have a great holiday.

Old 06-24-2018, 07:15 AM   #7791
FoolofaTook

that's ok. i will weep and listen to alcest on the shower floor alone.

but i think i figured out a solution. when my boss leaves for her holiday later this week, i will use her office phone to hook telegrass up. then i will be in business like a BOSS. much better than roaming the streets at night giving meaningful looks to random shady looking dudes in the hopes they are dealers lol.

no worries about mr. nice guy. i smoke the sacred herb. nothing else (besides crack, of course).

Old 06-24-2018, 01:01 PM   #7792
FoolofaTook

Angry

i spend three hours hiking up the mt of olives, blunder downhill into a palestinian ghetto, get chocolate milk thrown at me by street urchins (lol), get completely disoriented, somehow emerge by Jaffa Gate and STILL NO ONE HAS POSTED ON THE GEN BOARDS.

fuck this shit i'm quitting!

Old 06-24-2018, 03:26 PM   #7793
redbreegull

dude. go eat some sabich

Old 06-24-2018, 04:24 PM   #7794
LaBelle
Socialphobic

I got hit with fries at a sports bar, I feel alive for the first time

Old 06-24-2018, 04:39 PM   #7795
slunken
Virgo

i mouthed off to a hillbilly and he told me if i didn't shut my mouth he would whip my ass.

Old 06-24-2018, 04:39 PM   #7796
slunken
Virgo

the world is so balanced if you think about it

Old 06-24-2018, 04:43 PM   #7797
slunken
Virgo

you and i, labelle, we're not so different

Old 06-24-2018, 08:55 PM   #7798
LaBelle
Socialphobic

I asked for ketchup to go with the fries and they ignored me.

INJUSTICE

Old 06-25-2018, 01:07 AM   #7799
FoolofaTook

I bought orange juice in a Palestinian store. Dude says it's eight shekels. I give him a ten shekel bill. He give me this look like what now bitch. I say you said eight shekels. He reluctantly hands over my change.

Life is hell.

Old 06-25-2018, 10:23 PM   #7800
LaBelle
Socialphobic

He wanted your tip.