Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List

Old 08-21-2007, 02:21 PM   #31
Aeroplane
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristJesus
"If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them."

Leviticus 20:12
Same goes for fucking a woman during her period.

Old 08-21-2007, 02:23 PM   #32
caroline
Pledge

My parents never forced me to go to church. It was always something that was my choice. Christianity was never forced down my throat so I guess that's why I've always had a pretty happy experience with it. Also, the churches I've gone to have not been the extremist kind. I think a lot of parents have been mis-guided when it comes to this. A good friend of mine grew up in an extremist way and two of her sisters don't believe in God and it's only by grace that her and her other sister do believe. It took breaking out of her parents' idea of Christianity versus seeking it on her own. The church that my friend goes to is a more informal non-denominational one.

Old 08-21-2007, 02:23 PM   #33
i_adore_adore
Apocalyptic Poster

in reference to the post above the post above mine.

Old 08-21-2007, 02:24 PM   #34
Aeroplane
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipgo
wow, that had to be pretty difficult for you, considering how ultra religious your family is. I'm glad that they accepted you for who you are; In my mind, it would be unChristian NOT to accept someone who is gay. As far as i personally see things, God is about love, and not about condemnation. At least, that's what I get from it.

as open minded as my parents can be, if I were gay, I'm not sure I'd be able to tell them. for some reason, they really have a hard time with this. My nephew is gay, and my parents are still pretty upset about it.
well, my parents didn't accept it at first. about six years ago i almost cut off all contact forever because they were so vitriolic and hurtful. but i stuck it out. i've been more the parent in the relationship for awhile now, but they've come around the last couple years. it's been great.

Old 08-21-2007, 02:32 PM   #35
skipgo
Minion of Satan

i really am happy for you that it finally worked out with your parents. you seem like a really nice guy with a good head on your shoulders (just like you, adore!), and i'm glad to see that things are better for you now. That post I made earlier about being a misanthrope only applies to the many many "bad" people there are in this world. But the good people, like yourself, I like them even more because they make up for all of the assholes. The people who are intelligent, open-minded, not needlessly rude... i love those people.

on another note, this thread is turning out much nicer than I would've imagined. knock on wood.

Old 08-21-2007, 02:35 PM   #36
i_adore_adore
Apocalyptic Poster

netphoria has as many mood swings as that woman Jesus is referring to.

Quote:
"And if a man shall lie with a woman having her sickness, and shall uncover her nakedness; he hath discovered her fountain, and she hath uncovered the fountain of her blood: and both of them shall be cut off from among their people."

Leviticus 20:18

Old 08-21-2007, 02:40 PM   #37
JRiordan
Apocalyptic Poster

ChristJesus is definitely one of the best posters here

Old 08-21-2007, 02:41 PM   #38
i_adore_adore
Apocalyptic Poster

Jesus Loves His Babaaays

Old 08-21-2007, 02:41 PM   #39
skipgo
Minion of Satan

christjesus never runs out of material, that's for sure

Old 08-21-2007, 02:42 PM   #40
Virex Kills
Apocalyptic Poster

Well, let me jump in on this one.
I grew up with a dad who gave me money to go buy myself, my brother and him drugs.
Today, well...I just graduated with my masters of divinity, which is what you need to be a pastor in most churches.
That being said, I love the church, but perhaps thats because Im from Canada where the church is very different because its not in a position of power. In a largely secular culture, the church is in a position where its letting go of tradition, keeping whats good, chucking what is bullshit. Ya, I love it.
And I listen to SP. *shocking*

Old 08-21-2007, 02:48 PM   #41
skipgo
Minion of Satan

it's interesting how the children of pastor's can turn out to wreak havoc on the world, and a kid who buys drugs for his dad grows up to get a masters of divinity.

i have a friend named casey, he's the main person in my youth who turned me onto punk music, skateboarding, and general all-around rebellion. He's now a pastor. Last person i ever would've expected. You just never know how things are gonna turn out.

Old 08-21-2007, 02:51 PM   #42
Aeroplane
Minion of Satan

Talking

PKs are evil.

Old 08-21-2007, 02:53 PM   #43
sammy khalifa
Pledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virex Kills
In a largely secular culture, the church is in a position where its letting go of tradition, keeping whats good, chucking what is bullshit.
just curious, generally what kind of traditions are you referring to that are being dropped? i don't know much about the Canadian church

Old 08-21-2007, 03:00 PM   #44
Virex Kills
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeroplane
PKs are evil.
I think that says something about 2nd generations. I think if its a forced lifestyle, its misunderstood or mislived. Not all the time, but often. I always thought Christians were wankers, even when I became one. Hahaha. But it was such an undeniable moment that I kinda had to figure out "Ok so...Ive always thought Christians were wankers. Now Im in a position where I cant deny it. Shit. What do I do?" Hahaha.
Like I said, I absolutely love faith (and its implications). I hung out with an old friend who hates Christianity and it was such a pleasure to debunk all her stereotypes and show her that Christianity doesnt have to be narrow-minded or legalistic.
Through all this, Ive always loved SP, though I guess you could argue that Billy's journey has made it easy (I became a Christian between SP's breakup and Zwan...). Good timing.

Old 08-21-2007, 03:04 PM   #45
skipgo
Minion of Satan

what happened to make you decide to become a christian? Since I've pretty much always been one (except for a brief time during my early 20's when i was questioning my beliefs), it's interesting to me to learn what draws some into Christanity when they weren't very fond of it before.

Old 08-21-2007, 03:07 PM   #46
null123
Minion of Satan

good thread.

my parents never tried to stop me from listening to any music, even though my mom has been a (fundamentalist, I suppose) Christian all my life and my dad has been one for the past few years. I grew up with my dad listening to NIN and stuff so it was never a thing. my mom listened to the Doors and the Rolling Stones growing up and was scrutinized by her Baptist step-mother for that so I guess she knows how it feels. she also still listens to that music even if she considers some of it to be "dark" or whatever. there is darkness in the world so why not acknowledge it and deal with it. she's perceptive enough to get that.

Old 08-21-2007, 03:10 PM   #47
skipgo
Minion of Satan

looks like you were one of the lucky ones like myself, charmbag.
it's good to be brought up that way, because hopefully people like us can raise our own kids in an openminded environment. a lot of people think you can't be Christian without being uptight, hypocritical, brainwashed, etc, but i believe there's a middle ground between fundamentalism and atheism that many people rarely acknowledge.

Old 08-21-2007, 03:11 PM   #48
Virex Kills
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy khalifa
just curious, generally what kind of traditions are you referring to that are being dropped? i don't know much about the Canadian church
Well, I look at this whole movement called the organic church. Its a movement where Christianity takes on different forms. I think its the understanding that church doesnt have to be in a building, on a Sunday, in pews. That church is essentially a bunch of people who do life together trying to figure out what it means to follow Jesus.
I think the best way I can express it is that it seems that for a long time, Jesus became a model that you had to become like. In the church in Canada, there's a whole movement growing that understands that Jesus is more uhm...pointing the way. Ok...so its a very faint nuance. Its like the church used to be stuck rehearsing the Bible like it was a play, rather than living it like it was a springboard to something greater.
I think people like me who havent grown up in the church come in and wonder "Uhm...so....why do we do this? ...ok....uh huh......uhm...can we try uhm...just chucking it? Cause it seems like its missing the point no?"
I dunno if that helps...and of course, there are still churches that would rather not change, and older people who find it tragic. And I mean, I understand that in a way. Look at how many people hate the new SP members.

Old 08-21-2007, 03:12 PM   #49
waltermcphilp
Socialphobic

my parents never gave me a hard time with music or anything growing up. i think its mostly because i have 5 older siblings that wore them out, so when they got to me they were too old and jaded to care.

Old 08-21-2007, 03:12 PM   #50
skipgo
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Look at how many people hate the new SP members.
lol, nice analogy!

Old 08-21-2007, 03:20 PM   #51
sammy khalifa
Pledge

Those ideas seem dead on, in my opion, Virex Kills. Along those same lines, I lead a "church " of just a few people that meets weekly in homes. We are also part of a greater church. My church preaches the difference between religion and relationship.

Old 08-21-2007, 03:25 PM   #52
Virex Kills
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipgo
what happened to make you decide to become a christian? Since I've pretty much always been one (except for a brief time during my early 20's when i was questioning my beliefs), it's interesting to me to learn what draws some into Christanity when they weren't very fond of it before.
Ya uhm...I guess in brief, I was running my own student painting business one summer and I hired a Christian to paint for me. Somehow I ended up wrapping up early and volunteering as a counselor at a camp for the last 2 weeks of the summer. Mind you, I knew a few Christians (cousins mostly) and while I thought they were pussies, there was something...different about them. Just ... ya...something different.
Anyway, so I was working at camp and they asked me to give at the end of the summer the "staff testimony". I dont think they realized I wasnt a Christian, and I hadnt realized a testimony was Christian-talk for "telling the story of what God had done in your life." So I agreed.
I got up and decided to talk about my life and originally just wanted to tell everyone there how great of a life they had with God. Like..."Hey guys...life without God is pretty shitty...good on ya!" But uhm...hahahahaha. Oh my. Ya, as I opened my mouth I just...started bawling. It was quite embarassing actually. And honestly, I never really chose to follow God or came to a point where I was like..."Hmm, that makes sense! Sign me up!" Nope. That moment, I know it sounds dramatic, but its how it felt. But it felt like God just tore the roof off the church and grabbed me and was like..."You are SO done running away."
So...its not like it was ever particularly appealing. Its funny to think about cause really...i dont know what it was. It was like...one moment I thought everyone around me was a wanker, and within a flash *I* was a wanker. Hahaha.
Honestly, as lame as it sounds, thisjust popped into my head. But it was probably the same way Luke felt when Darth Vadder says "Luke...Im your father." (or whatever the line is). THis sense of "Gah, the world has slipped between my fingers! What the heck! Completely debilitating." Yet undeniable? Ya.

Old 08-21-2007, 03:29 PM   #53
Virex Kills
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy khalifa
Those ideas seem dead on, in my opion, Virex Kills. Along those same lines, I lead a "church " of just a few people that meets weekly in homes. We are also part of a greater church. My church preaches the difference between religion and relationship.
Ya, totally. Obviously there is SO much I still need to learn and figure out. But the process is awesome! And I love that, because it IS about relationship, and not about rules. Ironically, being a Christian has been the most freeing thing ever. Oh the irony!

Old 08-21-2007, 03:49 PM   #54
skipgo
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Ya uhm...I guess in brief, I was running my own student painting business one summer and I hired a Christian to paint for me. Somehow I ended up wrapping up early and volunteering as a counselor at a camp for the last 2 weeks of the summer. Mind you, I knew a few Christians (cousins mostly) and while I thought they were pussies, there was something...different about them. Just ... ya...something different.
Anyway, so I was working at camp and they asked me to give at the end of the summer the "staff testimony". I dont think they realized I wasnt a Christian, and I hadnt realized a testimony was Christian-talk for "telling the story of what God had done in your life." So I agreed.
I got up and decided to talk about my life and originally just wanted to tell everyone there how great of a life they had with God. Like..."Hey guys...life without God is pretty shitty...good on ya!" But uhm...hahahahaha. Oh my. Ya, as I opened my mouth I just...started bawling. It was quite embarassing actually. And honestly, I never really chose to follow God or came to a point where I was like..."Hmm, that makes sense! Sign me up!" Nope. That moment, I know it sounds dramatic, but its how it felt. But it felt like God just tore the roof off the church and grabbed me and was like..."You are SO done running away."
So...its not like it was ever particularly appealing. Its funny to think about cause really...i dont know what it was. It was like...one moment I thought everyone around me was a wanker, and within a flash *I* was a wanker. Hahaha.
Honestly, as lame as it sounds, thisjust popped into my head. But it was probably the same way Luke felt when Darth Vadder says "Luke...Im your father." (or whatever the line is). THis sense of "Gah, the world has slipped between my fingers! What the heck! Completely debilitating." Yet undeniable? Ya.
wow, that's really quite a story! In a way I sort of wish I'd had a moment like this, something so strong that washed over me that I couldn't escape. I guess my faith has been a mostly constant presence, so I never had any big moments of revelation. This thread is really quite interesting for me because I've always had a mostly a lot of friends who don't believe, so I don't get much of a chance to talk about this with many people. (aside from my husband, who shares pretty much the same beliefs as I do).

It's interesting what Sammy says "I lead a "church " of just a few people that meets weekly in homes. We are also part of a greater church. My church preaches the difference between religion and relationship."
My parents, who went to church for probably 50 years, stopped going about 15 years ago. Now they read the bible and other books about faith and God to one another every night. They continued tithing to the methodist church until a few years ago when they decided to start giving the money to the salvation army instead. Although most Christians seem more comfortable in a church setting, it's good to know that there are others who devote their lives to God in their own way. I was never completely comfortable going to church, I can't even remember the last time i went.

Old 08-21-2007, 03:52 PM   #55
Aeroplane
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltermcphilp
my parents never gave me a hard time with music or anything growing up. i think its mostly because i have 5 older siblings that wore them out, so when they got to me they were too old and jaded to care.
awwww

Old 08-21-2007, 03:53 PM   #56
skipgo
Minion of Satan

waltermcwaltermcwalter. i care. "stop listening to that devil music!"

Old 08-21-2007, 04:04 PM   #57
waltermcphilp
Socialphobic

Talking

Old 08-21-2007, 04:05 PM   #58
skipgo
Minion of Satan

you dirty boy you.

Old 08-21-2007, 04:06 PM   #59
Mo
Immortal

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeroplane
teenager, early 20s year old
Heh.

Old 08-21-2007, 04:08 PM   #60
caroline
Pledge

Although I was always raised in a Christian environment, I had a conversion moment sort of like Virex (but I was 14 at the time) where I made the conscious decision to be a follower of Christ. It's not something that can be forced. God gave us all free will to choose Him or not. If someone asks me about my faith, I'll talk their ears off, but I don't go around proselytizing.