Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2006, 02:17 PM   #1
ratking17
Ownz

Default UPDATE

The Smashing Pumpkins are currently in the recording studio with legendary producer Roy Thomas Baker (Queen, The Cars, The Darkness), at work on their first new album since 1999.

www.smashingpumpkins.com

Old 08-15-2006, 02:19 PM   #2
neopryn
let's see your penis!

oh man, the darkness

Old 08-15-2006, 02:21 PM   #3
Fathoms (unadored)
Apocalyptic Poster

Do you know what this means? ... it means this damn machine doesn't work at all!!!

Or, there's hope that all this silence really does mean Billy is growing his hair out again. Perfect for the Pumpkins new Darkness/Queen/The Cars influenced direction.

Old 08-15-2006, 02:24 PM   #4
ratking17
Ownz

I know everyone says that they have some inside info (my best friend knows so and so), but I would like to know where exactly they are recording and why no one has reported it? Is it Chicago, LA, Arizona?

Old 08-15-2006, 02:26 PM   #5
wHATcOLOR
THIS IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!

Location: || MY NAME IS KIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIID ROCK!!

delete

Old 08-15-2006, 02:28 PM   #6
transluscent
Apocalyptic Poster

I BELIVE IN A THING CALLED LOVE!!

Old 08-15-2006, 02:29 PM   #7
Effloresce
Banned

They're working with him? Wow!

Yeah yeah, The Darkness. SP is not The Darkness.

Old 08-15-2006, 02:29 PM   #8
CYCLE_23
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fathoms (unadored)
Do you know what this means? ... it means this damn machine doesn't work at all!!!

Or, there's hope that all this silence really does mean Billy is growing his hair out again. Perfect for the Pumpkins new Darkness/Queen/The Cars influenced direction.

Nice Back to the future quote

Old 08-15-2006, 02:33 PM   #9
mpp
Minion of Satan

uh, he also produced journey, devo, ozzy, and other bands

sounds like an awesome move to me

Old 08-15-2006, 02:34 PM   #10
waltermcphilp
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fathoms (unadored)
if my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour....you're gunna see some serious shit

Old 08-15-2006, 02:34 PM   #11
Esty
Netphorian of the Decade

This is gonna suck.

Old 08-15-2006, 02:40 PM   #12
Fathoms (unadored)
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltermcphilp
if my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour....you're gunna see some serious shit

my god they've found me... I don't know how but they found me... WHO DO YOU THINK! THE LIBIYANS!!!!

Last edited by Fathoms (unadored) : 08-15-2006 at 02:41 PM. Reason: fuck off

Old 08-15-2006, 02:43 PM   #13
RenewRevive
Minion of Satan

These updates are like Chinese water torture. I'm gonna freak out if something meaningful doesn't happen soon.

Old 08-15-2006, 02:44 PM   #14
davin
Physiopathic Paralysis

speaking of chinese, wasn't this the guy who was working on Chinese Democracy with GNR...?

This one better come out and not get lost in limbo...which i know was more axle's fault...but still.

From what I heard of the tracks that leaked though, the production quality was pretty guitar-accentuated stuff. This news is quite intriguing and interesting. Hmmmmm....

Old 08-15-2006, 02:48 PM   #15
Averageprheight
Banned

OKAY...so I have some mixed feelings about this news.

First off, Roy Thomas Baker has produced some of the greatest classic rock albums of all time including Queen's epic "A Night At The Opera" however he also produced arguably the worst Yes album in their entire discography in "Tormato".
Rick Wakeman himself has said that while Tormato indeed had potential, Yes never got the best out of some of the material, while Steve Howe admitted that Yes were unsure of themselves musically at the time.

That kind of sucks because it might just mean that Roy doesn't exactly bring out all the potential a certain song may have.

HOWEVER...
The GREAT part of this news is it seems like the Pumpkins are going for a classic rock vibe.
Which makes me 10 million times more excited for this.

Old 08-15-2006, 02:53 PM   #16
Ramdust
Apocalyptic Poster

interesting...

Old 08-15-2006, 02:56 PM   #17
douglas78
Apocalyptic Poster

1999. when was machina actually recorded? does this mean since the last time tsp were all togethjer?

Old 08-15-2006, 02:57 PM   #18
Effloresce
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Averageprheight
OKAY...so I have some mixed feelings about this news.

First off, Roy Thomas Baker has produced some of the greatest classic rock albums of all time including Queen's epic "A Night At The Opera" however he also produced arguably the worst Yes album in their entire discography in "Tormato".
Rick Wakeman himself has said that while Tormato indeed had potential, Yes never got the best out of some of the material, while Steve Howe admitted that Yes were unsure of themselves musically at the time.

That kind of sucks because it might just mean that Roy doesn't exactly bring out all the potential a certain song may have.

HOWEVER...
The GREAT part of this news is it seems like the Pumpkins are going for a classic rock vibe.
Which makes me 10 million times more excited for this.
Dude, you're not having mixed feelings. You're being paranoid. Calm down.

Billy isn't just gonna let him run the show, you know how he is. I am confident that at the very least, this album will trump Machina.

Old 08-15-2006, 02:59 PM   #19
Dead
Deaddy is your daddy!

We can only hope SP2 will make their debut with a gig at the Bait Shop on The O.C. The stage was set when they used To Sheila for a season 1 episode.

Old 08-15-2006, 03:05 PM   #20
Dead
Deaddy is your daddy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglas78
1999. when was machina actually recorded? does this mean since the last time tsp were all togethjer?
The album was already online in 1999 but wasn't released til 2000. Or was it just known that it was complete in 99 but got leaked in 2000... Anyway, it was done in 99. And Melissa was performing with them in like Dec. 99 or something, I can't remember my SP1 trivia right now. So 99 is accurate.

Old 08-15-2006, 03:07 PM   #21
ratking17
Ownz

99 Was probably when they were last in the studio. May of 2000 if memory serves me correct was when machina came out...but i might be wrong...

Old 08-15-2006, 03:07 PM   #22
harrow
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratking17
I know everyone says that they have some inside info (my best friend knows so and so), but I would like to know where exactly they are recording and why no one has reported it? Is it Chicago, LA, Arizona?

They are recording in Los Angeles until the end of 2006

Old 08-15-2006, 03:09 PM   #23
Averageprheight
Banned

"Today, Roy Thomas Baker spends most of his time in the U.S. While keeping Los Angeles his home base, he has built a beautiful studio complex of his own, complete with tennis court and olympic swim spa. His elegant facility is a three-and-a-half hour drive from L.A. in the foothills of the Mojave mountains, above the shores of Lake Havasu. His fabulously appointed and well-equipped studio contains hard-wired TLA, Summit and Neve mixers; a rare Stephens 40-track (fine-tuned and maintained by John Stephens) with Dolby SR; and six Tascam DA-88s."

I would bet 100 bucks that this is where they are recording the new album and that is why everything has stayed so hush hush.

Old 08-15-2006, 03:09 PM   #24
ratking17
Ownz

Harrow, what/where is your source?

Old 08-15-2006, 03:09 PM   #25
Corganist
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp
uh, he also produced journey, devo, ozzy, and other bands

sounds like an awesome move to me
I tend to agree. Maybe this means that the band is at least going to try for a more commercial sound. No muddy walls of guitars and synths. No "loud at any volume." No "futuristic rock." I don't necessarily think this means that the record is gonna sound like a 1970's arena rock record, but it makes me hopeful that we'll get an overall better sounding record than we've gotten in quite a while out of any Billy project. Of course, Billy will almost certainly be co-producing, so there's still plenty of chances for some questionable production choices to slip in.

I'm just excited that its someone who hasn't worked with the band before. I'd have been disappointed if it were self-produced, or if someone like Flood or Bjorn Thorsrud had been tapped.

Old 08-15-2006, 03:11 PM   #26
Dead
Deaddy is your daddy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratking17
99 Was probably when they were last in the studio. May of 2000 if memory serves me correct was when machina came out...but i might be wrong...
Well they were in the studio in 2000 but not with all 4 original members.

Old 08-15-2006, 03:12 PM   #27
transluscent
Apocalyptic Poster

when did Darcy leave? September '99?

Old 08-15-2006, 03:14 PM   #28
davin
Physiopathic Paralysis

i generally agree with your comments Corganist, other than the Flood comment. I would have been happy with him working again...just like I would have been happy with Vig...but in-keeping with how the band likes to do things progressively, I think this is an excellent move.

Who brought up Billy buying psychadelic records in Memphis as a possible musical direction for the band. Hmmmm....they may have been on to something.

Old 08-15-2006, 03:15 PM   #29
th3r3m1n
Oblivious Virgin

Don't panic. Smashing Pumpkins are not the Darkness, and having the same producer doesn't mean the songs will be the same. The point is that they have a professional producer, and the only important thing left is the music Billy's been writing. Am I the only surprised about how Flood has been rejected?

Old 08-15-2006, 03:16 PM   #30
Dead
Deaddy is your daddy!

Some time in 99. But nevermind about that shit, It just says first new album since 99 so it doesn't matter when they were or weren't in the studio. Except one thing is that they're basically saying Machina 2 wasn't an album.