Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > General Chat Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07-04-2006, 07:59 PM   #1
pink_ribbon_scars
At the beginning

Default cooking thread

man, i just sprinkled some curry powder on my chicken breasts, red potato chunks, chopped red onion, sliced zuchinni and diced garlic, and put it all in a glass dish with some olive oil and a little salt and pepper and cooked it, covered, for an hour at 350. it was awesome.

i can't believe i'd never used my curry powder for anything else (outside of some recipe that i cooked a year ago or something).

what do you guys cook that's simple and tasty?

Old 07-04-2006, 08:02 PM   #2
Karl Connor
ADMlNISTRATOR

top ramen

in microwave for 1:30 ... pretty good mang

Old 07-04-2006, 08:02 PM   #3
Karl Connor
ADMlNISTRATOR

:(

Old 07-04-2006, 08:03 PM   #4
pink_ribbon_scars
At the beginning

did you know you're supposed to add water?

Old 07-04-2006, 08:05 PM   #5
Karl Connor
ADMlNISTRATOR

:(

Old 07-04-2006, 08:33 PM   #6
bardy
Immortal

there is some really good fried chicken seasoning my step dad uses, let me see if I can find it.

although he bakes it instead of frying it.

ugh nevermind there is no way I can find it. it's kind of random because we bought it in the hardware store where they sold grills

Old 07-04-2006, 08:34 PM   #7
mercurial
$ W▲ G

when i do chicken breasts like that I like to seal them in a hot pan before I bake them ... trap all the juices, caramalise the outside a little and all that jazz + it reduces cooking time a little

lately it's all been about honey, soy, ginger, garlic, salt and pepper ... sometimes a bit of orange juice in there while it's marinating to help tenderize the meat

Old 07-04-2006, 08:41 PM   #8
ravenguy2000
NO FATS

We had a cookout today and I made cornbread salad

1 loaf cornbread (I used a store bought but you can make your own, its easy)
1 green pepper chopped up
half an onion chopped up
half a can of red kidney beans
mayo

Dump the cornbread in a bowl and mush it up. Put in the other stuff, and then enough mayo just to bring it together. Then eat it.

Old 07-04-2006, 08:42 PM   #9
bardy
Immortal

it may just be my distate for mayo and beans but that sounds absolutely disgusting

Old 07-04-2006, 08:42 PM   #10
pink_ribbon_scars
At the beginning

that's better than cornbread by itself?

Old 07-04-2006, 08:44 PM   #11
ravenguy2000
NO FATS

Quote:
Originally Posted by pink_ribbon_scars
that's better than cornbread by itself?
pretty much nothing is better than cornbread by itself. I'm talking about real cornbread, not that cakey, sweet, honey tasting stuff. I'm talking salty, grainy, mealy, stick to your ribs countrified Kentucky cornbread.

Old 07-04-2006, 08:46 PM   #12
bardy
Immortal

I like buttery cornbread thats a bit sweet... and not too grainy

Old 07-04-2006, 08:46 PM   #13
bardy
Immortal

liz have you experimented with making gravy?

Old 07-04-2006, 08:48 PM   #14
mercurial
$ W▲ G

quite often ... when i can't be bothered with long prep & cooking times I do a simple pan fried fish w/ capers for the dinner

two medium sized white fish fillets, dusted in a mixture of flour, salt, pepper, and random dried herb (i use oregano) set to one side

in a fry pan, heat up some olive oil to a medium-high temperature

throw in a couple of teaspoons of capers and fry until you can smell them starting to cook

mash them down a bit with the spatula to release the flavours into the olive oil ... the oil should just about be smoking by now

toss in the fillets and fry for a few minutes each side or until just cooked through, nice and golden on the outside - be careful not to overcook as there's nothing worse than overcooked fish

dish up with a carrot mash and a nice green salad dressed in olive oil + balsamic vinegar, garnish the fillets with the cooked capers and nice thick wedge of lemon

Old 07-04-2006, 08:56 PM   #15
ravenguy2000
NO FATS

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipbrj
I like buttery cornbread thats a bit sweet... and not too grainy
I'm fine with a little sweet, I just don't like going to places run by jackasses who think "cornbread" is supposed to mean "cake."

Old 07-04-2006, 08:56 PM   #16
bardy
Immortal

boston market's cornbread is too sweet. and its very sour creamy

Old 07-04-2006, 08:58 PM   #17
Grumble
Apocalyptic Poster

I'm hungry like the wolf.

Old 07-04-2006, 10:22 PM   #18
mercurial
$ W▲ G

predictably cooking thread is reduced to squabling over bread mush salad

pathetic!

Old 07-04-2006, 10:41 PM   #19
pink_ribbon_scars
At the beginning

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercurial
when i do chicken breasts like that I like to seal them in a hot pan before I bake them ... trap all the juices, caramalise the outside a little and all that jazz + it reduces cooking time a little

lately it's all been about honey, soy, ginger, garlic, salt and pepper ... sometimes a bit of orange juice in there while it's marinating to help tenderize the meat
i'm usually too lazy to sear my meat even though i know i should. if you cook chicken the way i did today, with vegetables in a covered pan, the meat stays hydrated and tender. but i know they say i should do that, and if i made a habit of it and then did it my lazy way, i'd probably notice a difference. i wanted my chicken to cook for about an hour since i thought the potatoes would probably need that long, but they got done quicker than i thought, because they were really soft when i opened the oven. last weekend i roasted a small chicken and put potatoes in the pan, and with an hour of cooking they were still a little firm. same potatoes as this week, too. weird shit.

those seasonings sound good. i think i'll buy some fresh ginger later this week. i always forget to use soy sauce, too. i have it and teriyaki sauce in my fridge. i have mongolian fire oil and sesame oil, too, and i rarely use those. this is reminding me of all the stuff i should do.

do you, or anyone else here, ever cook brown rice or even white rice, and put herbs or seasonings in it? that's something i've wanted to experiment with, but have never done. i'm going to finally cook some black beans and rice sometime soon. i've had it in my cabinet forever but i never cook it because i need to soak the beans and that takes so long.

Old 07-04-2006, 10:49 PM   #20
pink_ribbon_scars
At the beginning

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipbrj
liz have you experimented with making gravy?
i haven't. i always though gravy was creepy, but then i tasted it. that changed my mind. that was a few years ago. since then i've tried to make it a few times, but with no real success. it always was lumpy or gluey. my grandma says it's easy, and next time i try to do it, i'm calling her. i call her at least once a month for coaching. she;s who taught me what i know (other than what cookbooks and fitness magazines have taugh me).

Old 07-04-2006, 10:52 PM   #21
pink_ribbon_scars
At the beginning

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercurial
quite often ... when i can't be bothered with long prep & cooking times I do a simple pan fried fish w/ capers for the dinner

two medium sized white fish fillets, dusted in a mixture of flour, salt, pepper, and random dried herb (i use oregano) set to one side

in a fry pan, heat up some olive oil to a medium-high temperature

throw in a couple of teaspoons of capers and fry until you can smell them starting to cook

mash them down a bit with the spatula to release the flavours into the olive oil ... the oil should just about be smoking by now

toss in the fillets and fry for a few minutes each side or until just cooked through, nice and golden on the outside - be careful not to overcook as there's nothing worse than overcooked fish

dish up with a carrot mash and a nice green salad dressed in olive oil + balsamic vinegar, garnish the fillets with the cooked capers and nice thick wedge of lemon

i'll try that. i've never cooked fish and it's one of those things i've never been quite able to make myself really like. but i think it's time to try again.

you might not know this: in america, carrot mash doesn't exist on menus. i have a british boyfriend, and he's turned me onto it, and carrot and swede mash, too.

Old 07-04-2006, 10:56 PM   #22
twice
Socialphobic

i made some pumpkin bread tonight, liz. it was surprisingly easy and even though the recipe said it'd be done in about an hour it took a lot less than that. canned pumpkin is relatively cheap and if you're anything like you were here in chicago i'm sure you have everything else on the ingredient list... flour sugar spices like nutmeg and cinnamon eggs oil and baking soda...i added some more spices, golden raisins and walnuts and it turned out pretty good considering i don't like anything i make. (my mom had herself a couple slices ) i wish i could come over and offer some.

Old 07-04-2006, 11:04 PM   #23
pink_ribbon_scars
At the beginning

aw
i should try that. i make banana muffins pretty often, i finished the last of my last batch this morning. my recipe is pretty eh without the nuts, but awesome with them. i'm going to get some canned pumpkin and golden raisins. ty.

you know what i eat pretty often that you introduced me to? diced raw apples with some cinnamon sugar sprinkled over them, and i add nuts if i have them. it's a nice alternative to a plain apple, especially on the side at breakfast, or as a dessert.

to be honest, i am trying to eat special k cereal and fruit twice a day, and just have one meal. but it's hard to do that if you want to have any variety in your dinner and you're cooking at home. if you have leftovers, you can only eat them once every 24 hours and eating cereal cereal leftover, cereal cereal leftover, cereal cereal leftover, day in and day out TOTALLY sucks. so fuck that, if i have other food, i eat it instead. today i got some seeded bread. mmmmm.

Old 07-04-2006, 11:11 PM   #24
bardy
Immortal

Quote:
aw
i should try that. i make banana muffins pretty often, i finished the last of my last batch this morning. my recipe is pretty eh without the nuts, but awesome with them. i'm going to get some canned pumpkin and golden raisins. ty.

you know what i eat pretty often that you introduced me to? diced raw apples with some cinnamon sugar sprinkled over them, and i add nuts if i have them. it's a nice alternative to a plain apple, especially on the side at breakfast, or as a dessert.

to be honest, i am trying to eat special k cereal and fruit twice a day, and just have one meal. but it's hard to do that if you want to have any variety in your dinner and you're cooking at home. if you have leftovers, you can only eat them once every 24 hours and eating cereal cereal leftover, cereal cereal leftover, cereal cereal leftover, day in and day out TOTALLY sucks. so fuck that, if i have other food, i eat it instead. today i got some seeded bread. mmmmm.
have you tried switching up the cereal? I know its still lame but Smart Start is AMAZING even though it is more expensive than the other kinds of cereal

And about the gravy - when my mom began teaching me how to cook she started off with gravy. she made some comment that you can get any man you want if you made good gravy she was joking of course, but gravy is pretty simple to make once you get the hang of it and is easy to impress people with, haha.

Old 07-04-2006, 11:18 PM   #25
mercurial
$ W▲ G

Talking

Quote:
i'm usually too lazy to sear my meat even though i know i should. if you cook chicken the way i did today, with vegetables in a covered pan, the meat stays hydrated and tender. but i know they say i should do that, and if i made a habit of it and then did it my lazy way, i'd probably notice a difference. i wanted my chicken to cook for about an hour since i thought the potatoes would probably need that long, but they got done quicker than i thought, because they were really soft when i opened the oven. last weekend i roasted a small chicken and put potatoes in the pan, and with an hour of cooking they were still a little firm. same potatoes as this week, too. weird shit.

those seasonings sound good. i think i'll buy some fresh ginger later this week. i always forget to use soy sauce, too. i have it and teriyaki sauce in my fridge. i have mongolian fire oil and sesame oil, too, and i rarely use those. this is reminding me of all the stuff i should do.

do you, or anyone else here, ever cook brown rice or even white rice, and put herbs or seasonings in it? that's something i've wanted to experiment with, but have never done. i'm going to finally cook some black beans and rice sometime soon. i've had it in my cabinet forever but i never cook it because i need to soak the beans and that takes so long.

I reckon the results from sealing are worth it ... it's only a couple of minutes in a hot, hot pan before you throw it in the oven and one more pan to clean (which you can do in between basting the chicken)

As far as the potatoes go - have you tried par-boiling before roasting off? It helps speed up the process so you can time the potatoes to be done at the same time as the chicken. You'll never end up with an under-roasted spud again

I'm a huge fan of plain white rice so tend not to adulterate - but when I do risotto's I go crazy with the herbs. Might just give it a go though ... I reckon minted rice would be quite nice actually.

Old 07-04-2006, 11:18 PM   #26
brendo_91
Minion of Satan

Why on earth are you eating cereal and fruit twice a day?

If it's to lose or maintain weight? Calculate how many calories the cereal + fruit is... then make sure you match that when you eat anything else.

Old 07-04-2006, 11:24 PM   #27
mercurial
$ W▲ G

Talking

Quote:
i'll try that. i've never cooked fish and it's one of those things i've never been quite able to make myself really like. but i think it's time to try again.

you might not know this: in america, carrot mash doesn't exist on menus. i have a british boyfriend, and he's turned me onto it, and carrot and swede mash, too.
I used to be skittish about fish & seafood a a child ... but now I cannot go without my weekly dose of fresh, fresh fish. Light, healthy, tasty, cheap, and so easy to cook ... the trick I reckon is to get the freshest fish & seafood you can to avoid the usually smelly, dry affair you get at super-markets. From there it's only a hop skip and jump away to baby octopus seared on the bbq and thrown straight in the mouth ... god, drool.

I haven't done carrot and swede, but I quite often do pumpkin, carrot, and sweet potato with plenty of roasted garlic, and a tbsp of seeded mustard or corriander pesto thrown in to make things a bit more interesting ... only when I'm trying to be fancy or impress the dinner date though.

I think I might buy a swede on the way home tonight when I pick up fish for the dinner tonight ... *glee*

Old 07-04-2006, 11:38 PM   #28
alexthestampede
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenguy2000
We had a cookout today and I made cornbread salad

1 loaf cornbread (I used a store bought but you can make your own, its easy)
1 green pepper chopped up
half an onion chopped up
half a can of red kidney beans
mayo

Dump the cornbread in a bowl and mush it up. Put in the other stuff, and then enough mayo just to bring it together. Then eat it.
no wonder youre so large

Old 07-04-2006, 11:40 PM   #29
pink_ribbon_scars
At the beginning

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendo_91
Why on earth are you eating cereal and fruit twice a day?

If it's to lose or maintain weight? Calculate how many calories the cereal + fruit is... then make sure you match that when you eat anything else.

it's to lose weight. i know that eating very little has the same reult as doing the cereal twice a day. the cereal is just a way to regiment myself and keep myself from cheating, and it really works. i have a bowl of special k with skim milk and a banana or berries on it, and a piece of fruit a few hours later.

and yeah brady, i know i could mix it up with the cereals but it's cereal that's the drag, not just special k. but it's okay. you know what else i like in terms of cereal? Basic Four.

Old 07-04-2006, 11:45 PM   #30
mercurial
$ W▲ G

Speaking of roast chicken: I got this recipe from my favourite cooking website cuisine and it makes a great accompaniment to the left-over roast chicken the next day ...

Boil lots of spinach, drain it, squeeze it dry and reserve. Fry onions, garlic, finely chopped ginger, cumin seeds and chilli in olive oil until the onions are soft. Stir in the spinach, taste, season and serve with yoghurt or crumbled feta and warm flatbread.

I cheat and add a little butter to the olive oil cause buttery spinach is sooo damn nice