Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08-08-2018, 12:20 PM   #1
BurtSampson
Apocalyptic Poster

Default What is the nadir of the band?

I don't necessarily mean when Billy was at his douchiest (though that can contribute I guess). I mean when you were like "fuck this band completely".

For me, it's gotta be when Astral Planes/Widow Wake My Mind came out alongside that dire 2010 summer tour, or the Oceania tour.

Runner up is the 20th anniversary tour with Bobo berating fans

Old 08-08-2018, 12:33 PM   #2
Zer0 Hour
Apocalyptic Poster

When Billy started going on Alex Jones and bitching about people protesting Trump. I could deal with Billy releasing shitty music and being an overbearing dick to people that he collaborates with, but once he fell in with the MAGA crowd, I was like, "Fuck this, I'm out."

And yet... I still somehow got talked into buying a ticket for the reunion tour, and had a great time at the show overall. I guess I'm a shitbag too.

Old 08-08-2018, 12:37 PM   #3
Shadaloo
Apocalyptic Poster

Take Your Dick Out Of My Ass And Stick It In My Mouth: The Experience

Old 08-08-2018, 12:50 PM   #4
SpiritDesire
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zer0 Hour View Post
When Billy started going on Alex Jones and bitching about people protesting Trump. I could deal with Billy releasing shitty music and being an overbearing dick to people that he collaborates with, but once he fell in with the MAGA crowd, I was like, "Fuck this, I'm out."

And yet... I still somehow got talked into buying a ticket for the reunion tour, and had a great time at the show overall. I guess I'm a shitbag too.
I don't care for Jones or his BS, but the interview was pretty interesting dude. Billy has some really well thought out opinions and he's a great articulator.

Also, I think he was only bashing PC culture for the most part, I doubt he endorses the MAGA crowd all that much. Just sayin'.

Oh, and about being pissed at the band: a free show in Miami around 2000. He was a complete dick to this one kid (who was a HUGE fan) and it's just so disheartening to even think about it.

Old 08-08-2018, 12:54 PM   #5
Elphenor
Braindead

Some really well thought out opinions

Old 08-08-2018, 01:04 PM   #6
KissesandNoise
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiritDesire View Post
I don't care for Jones or his BS, but the interview was pretty interesting dude. Billy has some really well thought out opinions and he's a great articulator.

Also, I think he was only bashing PC culture for the most part, I doubt he endorses the MAGA crowd all that much. Just sayin'.

Oh, and about being pissed at the band: a free show in Miami around 2000. He was a complete dick to this one kid (who was a HUGE fan) and it's just so disheartening to even think about it.
Yeah, the actual interview - especially the first one was interesting. Billy dared to question some things on the left and got dumped into the alt-right/MAGA thing by default on the second one, which was bullshit. It was media spin. The leftist and right wing media outlets cherry picked statements so he could be called alt-right.

Maybe the Teargarden era/2010 tour. Actually, I was like what-the-fuck at line-up change number 8 when it was Brad Wilk and Mark Stoermer. That didn't make sense to me.

Old 08-08-2018, 01:14 PM   #7
SpiritDesire
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KissesandNoise View Post
Yeah, the actual interview - especially the first one was interesting. Billy dared to question some things on the left and got dumped into the alt-right/MAGA thing by default on the second one, which was bullshit. It was media spin. The leftist and right wing media outlets cherry picked statements so he could be called alt-right.

Maybe the Teargarden era/2010 tour. Actually, I was like what-the-fuck at line-up change number 8 when it was Brad Wilk and Mark Stoermer. That didn't make sense to me.
b...but he LITERALLY SUPPORTS HITLER!

kidding, I definitely agree. at this point I've learnt to not care about labels, anything even slightly indicative of right leanings is called "alt-right" these days.

Jones kept interrupting him and putting words in his mouth during the interview though. Definitely not a fan. Other than that, I think most times Billy merely stood his ground and got shat on for it. He has been a mega dick a lot of times though. Not that I care.

Old 08-08-2018, 01:16 PM   #8
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Lightbulb

live silverfuck '96

Old 08-08-2018, 01:19 PM   #9
KissesandNoise
Banned

Quote:
b...but he LITERALLY SUPPORTS HITLER!
HAHAHAHAHA

Quote:
kidding, I definitely agree. at this point I've learnt to not care about labels, anything even slightly indicative of right leanings is called "alt-right" these days.

Jones kept interrupting him and putting words in his mouth during the interview though. Definitely not a fan. Other than that, I think most times Billy merely stood his ground and got shat on for it. He has been a mega dick a lot of times though. Not that I care.
Jones, hyperbolic windbag that he can be, kept trying to take the interview to crazy town, but I think Billy did a good job of steering it back to something somewhat rational. Yeah, and Alex wouldn't shut the fuck up.

I can see why there is guilt by association. If you haven't followed Jones and all you know is the Sandy Hook thing, he is a monster of the worst kind. If you like people that question narratives then it is OK, but he went too far there.

Old 08-08-2018, 01:20 PM   #10
KissesandNoise
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoolofaTook View Post
live silverfuck '96
hahahahaha

Old 08-08-2018, 01:31 PM   #11
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

kissesandnoise and spittingdiarrea are runners up for the nadir of SP

Old 08-08-2018, 01:35 PM   #12
SpiritDesire
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashingjj View Post
pro tip: not caring about people with different opinions on the internet can be therapeutic, almost

Old 08-08-2018, 01:36 PM   #13
KissesandNoise
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashingjj (this FUCKIN guy) View Post
Yes! Thank you. Thank you all. I couldn't have done this alone. It's a great honor to- .. wait, what does nadir mean again?

Old 08-08-2018, 01:38 PM   #14
SpiritDesire
Banned

Quote:
Yes! Thank you. Thank you all. I couldn't have done this alone. It's a great honor to- .. wait, what does nadir mean again?
hahahahahahah

also, I agree about Jones. The Sandy Hook thing was what made me stop listening to his podcast. Been downhill ever since TBH.

Old 08-08-2018, 01:39 PM   #15
ninsp
Apocalyptic Poster

Probably Widow Wake My Mind Mormon Choir, Owata video, or the very existence of Run2Me/Anti-Hero.

I can’t place a finger on the point from where I was a fan to someone who once was a fan.

Shiny and Oh So Bright gets me very close back onto the “fan” side of things though.

Old 08-08-2018, 01:51 PM   #16
themadcaplaughs
Apocalyptic Poster

The release of Monuments to an Elegy and that brief period where Brad Wilk and Mark Stoermer played in the band. No beef to either one of them personally. I like both of their respective bands, but it really felt cobbled together and it seemed obvious Billy went for "big names" (relatively speaking) rather than people who could actually do justice to the material. The "look at us" lineup along with an incredibly mediocre (being kind) album really made the whole enterprise feel dead; even more so than 2012/2013. Stoermer on bass was not so bad, but Wilk's drum style did not mesh with the band at all. I'd argue Byrne was better suited for Smashing Pumpkins.

Old 08-08-2018, 01:57 PM   #17
DaveKShape
Ownz

“Jimmy is a destructive human being, and people who are destructive break things,” Corgan says. “I don’t see me reaching the highest levels of my creativity if I’m unhealthy and if I have unhealthy people around me. Every time Jimmy didn’t show up for a week in the studio, I made it about me. Any time James Iha was off in a corner somewhere not paying any fucking attention, I made it about me.” After Corgan told Chamberlin he was out, the drummer “unloaded” on Corgan, unleashing 20 years worth of pent-up insults. “So I was like, ‘Fuck you,’ ” Corgan recalls. “ ’Go ride around in a white van for the rest of your life.’ ”

Old 08-08-2018, 01:58 PM   #18
KissesandNoise
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by themadcaplaughs View Post
The release of Monuments to an Elegy and that brief period where Brad Wilk and Mark Stoermer played in the band. No beef to either one of them personally. I like both of their respective bands, but it really felt cobbled together and it seemed obvious Billy went for "big names" (relatively speaking) rather than people who could actually do justice to the material. The "look at us" lineup along with an incredibly mediocre (being kind) album really made the whole enterprise feel dead; even more so than 2012/2013. Stoermer on bass was not so bad, but Wilk's drum style did not mesh with the band at all. I'd argue Byrne was better suited for Smashing Pumpkins.
Yup. My guess is he went with Wilk for A) fellow 90s dude in need of some work B) name C) his straightforward thudding style and pocket approach worked for anything that Tommy Lee played. It did not work for anything else.

Old 08-08-2018, 02:17 PM   #19
fluxequalsrad
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninsp View Post
Probably Widow Wake My Mind Mormon Choir, Owata video, or the very existence of Run2Me/Anti-Hero.

I can’t place a finger on the point from where I was a fan to someone who once was a fan.
Yeah this pretty much was it for me. Although you knew it was going south even before Zietgiest came out.

Old 08-08-2018, 02:20 PM   #20
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Quote:
Yup. My guess is he went with Wilk for A) fellow 90s dude in need of some work B) name C) his straightforward thudding style and pocket approach worked for anything that Tommy Lee played. It did not work for anything else.
ur dads got a straightforward thudding style

Old 08-08-2018, 02:46 PM   #21
Zer0 Hour
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
HAHAHAHAHA

Jones, hyperbolic windbag that he can be, kept trying to take the interview to crazy town, but I think Billy did a good job of steering it back to something somewhat rational. Yeah, and Alex wouldn't shut the fuck up.

I can see why there is guilt by association. If you haven't followed Jones and all you know is the Sandy Hook thing, he is a monster of the worst kind. If you like people that question narratives then it is OK, but he went too far there.
Jones doesn't just "question narratives." He makes up utter bullshit and people's lives have been ruined by it. Families whose lives were already destroyed by the Sandy Hook tragedy have had to repeatedly move because Jones' legion of trolls have found them and harassed them.

And moreover, Jones is a fraud. He doesn't believe the nonsense he pedals, as we learned in his custody battle. He's not questioning any narrative... he knows that there's a sizable contingent of the population that wants to believe this kind of nonsense to justify their own fascist/sexist/homophobic/transphobic/racist views, and he's playing up to that.

Now, I don't believe that Billy is so insane that he thinks Sandy Hook was a "false flag" or that Hillary Clinton runs a pedophile ring (at least I hope not) but he should be ashamed of himself for ever appearing on this man's show. But hey, Alex probably showers him with compliments, so it's all good, right?

Last edited by Zer0 Hour : 08-09-2018 at 08:44 AM.

Old 08-08-2018, 03:24 PM   #22
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveKShape View Post
“Jimmy is a destructive human being, and people who are destructive break things,” Corgan says. “I don’t see me reaching the highest levels of my creativity if I’m unhealthy and if I have unhealthy people around me. Every time Jimmy didn’t show up for a week in the studio, I made it about me. Any time James Iha was off in a corner somewhere not paying any fucking attention, I made it about me.” After Corgan told Chamberlin he was out, the drummer “unloaded” on Corgan, unleashing 20 years worth of pent-up insults. “So I was like, ‘Fuck you,’ ” Corgan recalls. “ ’Go ride around in a white van for the rest of your life.’ ”

Zeitgeist and then this was when i noped the F out for years; decided it would be too painful to follow bill and just cherished the old stuff

Completely missed teargarden as it was happening, then a friend told me there was this oceania thing that didn’t suck as bad as zeitgeist, so got that and noticed the reissues were coming out, so started paying attention again

Old 08-08-2018, 03:30 PM   #23
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

Interesting how people feel like they are becoming fans again because of this tour. To me the low point is how he conducted himself before the tour with the D’arcy thing and his egomania run amok in the show videos, show presentation, and being an arrogant prick to people on instagram.

Old 08-08-2018, 05:06 PM   #24
T&T
Socialphobic

Can't say I'm on the "fuck this band completely" team cause I'm still here on netphoria and I still listen to the music.
one day I'll quit all of you and mean it, but no yage from me.
for now I'll just be embarrassed to be a fan
and hopefully if I meet some I won't have to tell them about my ongoing attendance here.

Old 08-08-2018, 08:40 PM   #25
spumpernickel
Amish Rake Fighter

for me also, the weirdest/lowest point was with brad wilk (no offense). just not a good fit, mike b was a weird choice also but in a way more congruent with billy's weird choices

Old 08-08-2018, 09:30 PM   #26
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

tbh that bbc live show after the release of MTaE with wilk and stoermer was pretty decent.

Old 08-08-2018, 10:14 PM   #27
Ramdust
Apocalyptic Poster

https://images.vice.com/noisey/conte...78/Corgan2.jpg

Old 08-08-2018, 10:24 PM   #28
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveKShape View Post
this

Old 08-08-2018, 10:41 PM   #29
meatngreet
Pledge

https://youtu.be/IjO0Xou_RPg

MTV Interview with Tabitha Soren after Jonathan’s death/Jimmy’s firing.

Old 08-08-2018, 10:45 PM   #30
TuralyonW3
Immortal

widow wake my mind performed live on TV