Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08-01-2018, 07:38 PM   #91
solaraflame
Pledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mals Marola View Post
Well the "OCD baby" in me liked that it was 14 & 14 but I might just have to do that
Already replaced the version of Speed Kills w/ the Stand Inside b-side but I wasn't even gonna mention that
I also do the same! I think the B side version is incredible. The final guitar outro is just...wow...

Old 08-01-2018, 07:40 PM   #92
solaraflame
Pledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by johncg View Post
I may have made some questionable decisions in my life, but I'm a damn fine musician and I love you all.

Old 08-01-2018, 08:12 PM   #93
johncg
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by solaraflame View Post
I may have made some questionable decisions in my life, but I'm a damn fine musician and I love you all.
Please start singing in tune live then. Thanks.

Old 08-01-2018, 08:37 PM   #94
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

Yeah the b-side version of Speed Kills is the definitive version of that song. Should have been on the album proper. It is available as a bonus track on the japan version of Machina though.

Old 08-01-2018, 08:55 PM   #95
johncg
Apocalyptic Poster

Also made it on to the vinyl tracklisting!

Old 08-01-2018, 09:09 PM   #96
MyKeyZ
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool As Ice Cream View Post
rarities and b-sides doesn't contain original masters though.
all tracks have been remastered.
If so, then they did a much better job at remastering Rarities & B-Sides than the Adore reissue bonus material. They cranked a lot of bonus material on the reissues way too much. Rarities release sounds much closer to the originals without distorting/clipping. Seems for the reissues they had two different people handling the main album remaster and another for the bonus discs. If you wanted to use the reissues to create alternate tracklists, volumes would be a bit disjointed between the album tracks versus bonus tracks, hence not having that issue with the Rarities release.

Old 08-01-2018, 09:51 PM   #97
solaraflame
Pledge

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyKeyZ View Post
If so, then they did a much better job at remastering Rarities & B-Sides than the Adore reissue bonus material. They cranked a lot of bonus material on the reissues way too much. Rarities release sounds much closer to the originals without distorting/clipping. Seems for the reissues they had two different people handling the main album remaster and another for the bonus discs. If you wanted to use the reissues to create alternate tracklists, volumes would be a bit disjointed between the album tracks versus bonus tracks, hence not having that issue with the Rarities release.
If Howie Weinberg mastered it (or remastered it), then it's not going to sound great. It's going to be loud,sure, but will be suffocated by a brickwalled sound.
Ten Jensen is THE man for mastering or remastering high end releases.

Old 08-01-2018, 10:00 PM   #98
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofglass11 View Post
Yeah the b-side version of Speed Kills is the definitive version of that song. Should have been on the album proper. It is available as a bonus track on the japan version of Machina though.
Ya it is
I own it

It is a little odd they resequenced the album to put it in because it does work quite swiftly as a track 16 - on my computer rip of the album i've actually got that one and Pale Scales following AoI. A pretty good little dessert after an album most people were already deeming too long

Old 08-01-2018, 10:15 PM   #99
solaraflame
Pledge

Quote:
Please start singing in tune live then. Thanks.
My vocal coach won't let me. She said that I'm in a state of arrested development and as a babe, of sorts, singing child like and out of key is a way for me to connect with the child within.

Old 08-01-2018, 11:07 PM   #100
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mals Marola View Post
Ya it is
I own it

It is a little odd they resequenced the album to put it in because it does work quite swiftly as a track 16 - on my computer rip of the album i've actually got that one and Pale Scales following AoI. A pretty good little dessert after an album most people were already deeming too long
the pale scales snippet from the dvd?

Old 08-01-2018, 11:53 PM   #101
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

solaraflame is a babe?

Old 08-01-2018, 11:59 PM   #102
johncg
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
My vocal coach won't let me. She said that I'm in a state of arrested development and as a babe, of sorts, singing child like and out of key is a way for me to connect with the child within.
No you just sound pathetic.

Someone who has been a professional musician for 30 years and has had no real job for about 25 of them should be able to find time to practice. Especially when you’re charging people up the ass to listen to you. It’s an insult to all the hard working musicians in the world who are dead broke and have to work crappy jobs...but still sound consistently great...that you refuse to be accountable to your own instrument.

Old 08-02-2018, 12:26 AM   #103
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

https://media.giphy.com/media/pQmWjYrz39YAg/giphy.gif

Old 08-02-2018, 12:41 AM   #104
Shadaloo
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco King View Post
Why not just do the reissue by putting Machina on one disc, and Machina II on another? Who cares if it was originally supposed to be a double album or whatever the story is? It wasn't released that way, and the original intention can never be fulfilled because not even present-day Corgan can be certain what 2000 Corgan would have ended up doing if the label let him have his way. You really think a reorganized album would reflect its original intention more than it reflects Corgan's current outlook and decisions?

Just remaster the shit, maybe remix the tracks that need to be remixed, add the b-sides, outtakes, and demos as bonus discs, and throw in some concert DVDs. Like they've done for every other reissue. It doesn't need to be any more complicated than that.

>But muh perfectly tracklisted definitive Machina as it was always meant to be!

Hahaha, shut up.
If he had some sort of tracklist in mind and had to break it up, it really shouldn't be that hard to get back to whatever the original script was. The whole thing's written like a big stupid rock opera with different acts and he wants to use the original mixes, which is a giant relief after he said he was considering bringing in people to do guest vocals or whatever when he first started hyping this thing up.

If it were just remastering, there'd honestly be almost no point to Machina I being put back out as a standalone because everyone prefers the original releases anyway. MCIS' remaster is the only notably different-sounding one and the rest are negligible.

And if memory serves he also tossed around the idea of making them both available separate simultaneously to the combined version anyway, which is why people were assuming you'd need to have like $400 ready for whenever it dropped.

Old 08-02-2018, 12:47 AM   #105
Shadaloo
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Great post! I think its kind of like the Smile album by Brian Wilson/Beach Boys. It has a mythos to it of what coulda/shoulda been.
Glad you think so and I agree. For further consideration and amusement, please enjoy the gigantic fucking thesis I cooked up after drinking too much

Old 08-02-2018, 02:23 AM   #106
FoolofaTook

anyone who thinks the spacey speed kills is better than the heavy speed kills needs to have their head checked.

Old 08-02-2018, 02:51 AM   #107
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

No.

Old 08-02-2018, 02:59 AM   #108
FoolofaTook

you lookin to start something?

Old 08-02-2018, 04:01 AM   #109
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

Yes.

Old 08-02-2018, 04:10 AM   #110
redbreegull

you guys are full of shit, Machina II version of Speed Kills is supreme

Old 08-02-2018, 04:38 AM   #111
eviltimeban
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Well done. I actually agree with you on many points here.
Thanks Billy, I mean Solaraflame, I actually listened to this last night in this order and I really liked it - it made me hear the songs in a new light. I'm questioning the inclusion of In My Body; perhaps an earlier fade out would've worked. But Vanity picks up the pace after it.

Certain things worked 'serendipitously', such as the way CCS cuts dead straight into the opening snare of LMGTWTYT.

The volume between the I and II era tracks are way off so I might do a bit of remastering myself in Cubase and cut out the record crackle you can hear between some of the II era tracks (and cut out the "we're rolling" bit of Dross, it kills the momentum).

Now that I've heard that Arising version of BSBT I'd add it somewhere. I need an mp3 of it though.

Old 08-02-2018, 04:45 AM   #112
FoolofaTook

yeah i love both speed killses but the heavy version is fucking VISCERAL.

Old 08-02-2018, 11:55 AM   #113
Zer0 Hour
Apocalyptic Poster

Yeah, Speed Kills is pretty awesome either way. I like them both for different reasons. The heavier version just straight up RAWKS the whole way through, and the more mellow one has some fucking unreal guitar solos. Is it James doing the solo work on that one? I always assumed it was but I'm not sure.

I've always wondered why Bill recorded so many different versions of songs for Machina. He seemed to do that more with that album than any other. What are everyone's preferences for the songs that have multiple versions? These are mine (I'm not sure what the official names are for some of them):

Blue Skies Bring Tears - Heavy version
Here's to the Atom Bomb - Judas O version
Saturnine - Judas O version
Try - Machina II version
Dross - "Rare" version
Glass - "Won't You Please Talk to Me" version
Cash Car Star - Version 1
Heavy Metal Machine - Ugh, I guess Machina I because the one from Machina II is ear cancer

Old 08-02-2018, 12:22 PM   #114
NovaFritz
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahlo View Post
This is great. Ending is a bit weak though.
What? Ending is the best part. Also, if they do a Plainsong tour with this, it lets Billy get an early bathroom break.

Old 08-02-2018, 12:36 PM   #115
solaraflame
Pledge

Quote:
No you just sound pathetic.

Someone who has been a professional musician for 30 years and has had no real job for about 25 of them should be able to find time to practice. Especially when you’re charging people up the ass to listen to you. It’s an insult to all the hard working musicians in the world who are dead broke and have to work crappy jobs...but still sound consistently great...that you refuse to be accountable to your own instrument.
My guitar playing has improved immensely since I focus on just that now. And a good old fashioned scowl as I lift my mighty axe. I have perfected the scowl.
Come to our bright n shiny shows and I'll scowl at you, then make your soul weep strawberry spring teardrops with my guitar harmonics.

Old 08-02-2018, 12:39 PM   #116
NovaFritz
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
My guitar playing has improved immensely since I focus on just that now. And a good old fashioned scowl as I lift my mighty axe. I have perfected the scowl.
Come to our bright n shiny shows and I'll scowl at you, then make your soul weep strawberry spring teardrops with my guitar harmonics.

Old 08-02-2018, 04:21 PM   #117
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

Make sure to i.nclude (why is this word censored) one of the Arising tour shows in the reissue. It’d be cool to show how the songs evolved to their less good studio versions.

Old 08-02-2018, 04:25 PM   #118
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofglass11 View Post
(why is this word censored)
you just had to use that word here huh

Old 08-02-2018, 05:05 PM   #119
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Location: Let me see you do the booty hop. And now make the booty stop. Now drop, and do the booty wop.
Talking

If you donated you get to include it as much as you like without repercussion

Old 08-02-2018, 05:06 PM   #120
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Location: Let me see you do the booty hop. And now make the booty stop. Now drop, and do the booty wop.
Red face

Do not ban