Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > General Boards > General Chat Message Board
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07-28-2020, 08:38 AM   #121
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Location: I’ve been trying to move to the Nordic countries for 5 years but the cost is astronomical to become an expatriate

I feel like we should really be focusing on those lovely cabinets and their hand-painted custom handles.

Old 07-28-2020, 09:50 AM   #122
cork_soaker
full of longing

killer boots, man

Old 07-28-2020, 09:51 AM   #123
cork_soaker
full of longing

, men

Old 07-28-2020, 01:25 PM   #124
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

not working retail anymore

i haven't been in my grocery store job since March, before that it was only once a week, mostly to get me out of the house and as a backup in case my freelance went south.
but things are going so well i just quit.

Old 07-28-2020, 01:28 PM   #125
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Location: I’ve been trying to move to the Nordic countries for 5 years but the cost is astronomical to become an expatriate

Fuck yeah!

Congrats

Old 07-28-2020, 01:29 PM   #126
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

This is the best news I've heard since that one time Took stopped posting for a few weeks.

Old 07-28-2020, 01:29 PM   #127
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Talking

Old 07-28-2020, 01:30 PM   #128
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

it was three days man but i'm sure it felt like forever to you

Old 07-28-2020, 01:30 PM   #129
FoolofaTook

shit it felt like forever to me!

Old 07-28-2020, 01:32 PM   #130
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

So help me Ram, if you shitpost reprise's big moment, that ban hammer is gonna come down so hard it'll make your three day suspension look like a vacation!

Old 07-28-2020, 01:32 PM   #131
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

I want your praise for reprise on my desk by 5:00 or you're outta here!

Old 07-28-2020, 01:44 PM   #132
FoolofaTook

cool your jets, turbo-boy

Old 07-28-2020, 01:47 PM   #133
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

"things that are great"
"things that are not great"

these are surely the end tiimes

Old 07-28-2020, 02:18 PM   #134
ilikeplanets
Braindead

That's wonderful, Erica! I hope everything continues to keep getting better. Gotta be a great feeling.

Old 07-28-2020, 03:33 PM   #135
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by reprise85 View Post
not working retail anymore

i haven't been in my grocery store job since March, before that it was only once a week, mostly to get me out of the house and as a backup in case my freelance went south.
but things are going so well i just quit.

Amazing...so happy for you

Old 07-28-2020, 09:24 PM   #136
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

thanks guys it does feel good

i even made a mushy (for me) facebook post thanking everyone i know from there
didn't realize how many people it really was

the virus really helped me figure some stuff out, going back now would not only be sad but i would lose at least $100 a week. if you figure in getting ready, breaks, gas, eating food out most days and all that... really a no-brainer at this point. i keep waiting for the bottom to fall out of my freelance work but it's been really good and i have different platforms going on and everything. what i really need is direct customers but i don't really know how to do that but i will figure it out.

i'm also squarely middle class at this point

feels weird

i bought some furniture this week too. i don't really buy stuff like that. i have the basics but i bought a few end tables. i am getting this huge fucking wooden chest thing from facebook, i tried to get it today and it was way bigger than i thought, couldn't fit it in my car so i'm renting a van for a few hours tomorrow. they are basically giving it away ($25). you could hide body in there, it's fucking huge. you could stuff like 3 in there if you cut them up (lol?). might use it as a pantry, mine is pretty sad. so i spent like $300 in all, 2 end tables, this huge thing i was planning on using as a printer stand + storage, and a nice desk lamp. this is kinda big step for me, i don't buy things like this. and i won't again for a while, but maybe my place will actually have some character now

did i mention working whenever i want is great and i get as many cat breaks as i want?

Last edited by reprise85 : 07-28-2020 at 09:30 PM.

Old 07-28-2020, 09:37 PM   #137
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

so yeah not being dirt poor is great

however

if i got more comfortable,
surely i'm more complicit

Old 07-28-2020, 11:22 PM   #138
hnibos
Braindead

What kind of work are you doing Erica? I'm not on the boards often so I'm clearly not up to date

Old 07-28-2020, 11:59 PM   #139
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnibos View Post
What kind of work are you doing Erica? I'm not on the boards often so I'm clearly not up to date
I have one regular job with a company called Appen, it's assessment of search engine results and some stuff related to that for... a major search engine company. Yeah, that one.

Besides that I've turned crowdsource work from Amazon Mechanical Turk into a few long term projects, one is short term rental compliance - basically I figure out the addresses of short term rentals on AirBnB, VRBO etc, and turn them into my company. They turn them into contracted counties who can then use them to make sure the people have permits and stuff.
I also do a ton of annotation work, right now I'm doing a lot with this company Gridspace, just tagging sensitive data and mock call center calls to train their AI. They also still have the mock call center calls a few times a week but I prefer the annotation work.
I have another company I work with that does different tagging for places like Twitter for toxicity, hate speech, etc. I had one where I had to assess the moral rules behind everyday activities and tag them with the moral foundation (like fairness, helping/harming, loyalty, autonomy/freedom, etc)

Basically I am training AI/machine learning algorithms with most of this, besides the short term rental thing.

I worked on this project for like 7 months that got published/presented recently: https://justin-cho.com/spolin basically going through tons of improv dialog and pulling out what they wanted to train their AI with, which greatly improved its conversation skills. Then they used their algorithm to pull out likely good candidates from movies and I had to assess those as well, which led to it getting better. There's a working prototype on that page

So basically I don't have a word for what I do, something like consultation/annotation/web research

I also do a lot of user experience testing for the site usertesting.com. Most people only get a few tests a week but I've been getting a shit ton of tests and live interviews, they really like me for some reason. Lots of companies use it, I've done live interviews with people from Microsoft, Spotify, Waze, Groupon, AAA, Walmart, Instacart, tons of startups, etc. Mostly app/website testing, helping organize sites, giving opinions on logos and videos, and stuff like that. Sometimes really tedious stuff in helping companies make customer satisfaction surveys. Most of the stuff is short (under 20 mins) but the long interviews pay 60/hr so they are pretty sweet.

Last edited by reprise85 : 07-29-2020 at 12:08 AM.

Old 07-29-2020, 12:12 AM   #140
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

i guess i started from nothing with this in late Oct 2018 so I went from full time Publix basically to 3 days/2 days/1 day and now quit within 2 years, not too shabby. I've had the Appen job since I think March last year. I've learned some super basic coding stuff to improve my efficiency (I mean super basic javascript and autohotkey) and have hired outside programmers to make a couple things too.

I'm like a professional and shit

Old 07-29-2020, 06:01 AM   #141
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

So basically when Skynet becomes self-aware we'll know who to blame?

Old 07-29-2020, 06:02 AM   #142
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Seriously tho way to work your butt off and prove that sticking it out there pays off. You deserve a genuine round of applause.

Old 07-29-2020, 08:58 AM   #143
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamingGlobes View Post
So basically when Skynet becomes self-aware we'll know who to blame?
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamingGlobes View Post
Seriously tho way to work your butt off and prove that sticking it out there pays off. You deserve a genuine round of applause.
thanks