Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Music Board Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List

Old 05-29-2017, 09:41 AM   #361
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Location: I’ve been trying to move to the Nordic countries for 5 years but the cost is astronomical to become an expatriate

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post
I imagine the 7 years in between Kid A and IR were hard for fans as well. AMSP is still a lot better than TKOL
But what about Hail to the Thief? And Amnesiac? Am I missing something?

What constitutes a 7 year wait to you guys?

Old 05-29-2017, 02:46 PM   #362
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamingGlobes View Post
But what about Hail to the Thief? And Amnesiac? Am I missing something?

What constitutes a 7 year wait to you guys?
I meant it was basically a 7 year period where they put out hardly anything worth listening to, so it's silly to say we know that the band is declining because poots doesn't like amsp.

ok yeah amnesiac but that's from the Kid A sessions, right? and it came out a year later or maybe even less.

HTTT is their weakest album IMO in terms of listenability. It's more grating and difficult to digest than even TKOL and it has the added disadvantage of being overly long. It does have some good songs but I would be pretty disappointed if I had been waiting around for that album and then they didn't put out a follow-up for 4 more years

Old 05-29-2017, 03:24 PM   #363
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Location: I’ve been trying to move to the Nordic countries for 5 years but the cost is astronomical to become an expatriate

Oh man, I love Hail to the Thief. I'll take it over TKOL any day of the week. I also found it pretty accessible in comparison to Kid A/Amnesiac and it didn't feel overlong at all to me.

Aren't opinions fun??

Old 05-29-2017, 03:24 PM   #364
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

To date, TKOL is the only Radiohead album I haven't fully gelled with.

Old 05-29-2017, 04:05 PM   #365
Elphenor
Braindead

Quote:
I meant it was basically a 7 year period where they put out hardly anything worth listening to
Oh hell naw

Old 05-29-2017, 04:09 PM   #366
Shallowed
Braindead

rbg you're not making much sense

Old 05-29-2017, 04:38 PM   #367
redbreegull

funnily enough, last year majority opinion was with with me and elphenor was the only one defending HTTT

Old 05-29-2017, 04:47 PM   #368
redbreegull

Quote:
because it was only a matter of time

In Rainbows > Ok Computer > The Bends > Kid A > KoL > Amnesiac > Pablo Honey > HTTT

I'm actually not sure why I put TKOL above Amnesiac, that's definitely not right.

IR > OKC > Bends > Kid A > AMSP > Amnesiac > KOL > Pablo > HTTT

Last edited by redbreegull : 05-29-2017 at 05:01 PM.

Old 05-29-2017, 09:04 PM   #369
Elphenor
Braindead

amsp was a great little record for what it was but it hasn't had much staying power for me

And yeah I prefer the epic dystopian stuff even In Rainbows had the bombastic Bodysnatchers

Old 05-29-2017, 09:26 PM   #370
FoolofaTook

Fools

KID A >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> (all else)

Old 05-29-2017, 09:50 PM   #371
Eulogy
huh

Moon shaped pool is ass

Old 05-29-2017, 09:51 PM   #372
Eulogy
huh

Hail to the thief is miles better than amsp and tkol

This band might suck now. Little by little is the exception.

Old 05-29-2017, 10:10 PM   #373
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

fwiw i agree with rbg that HTTT is by far their worst. i could never stand that record and i can't even get through it

i definitely wouldn't say amnesiac isn't a throwaway record though, or that kid a is not one of radiohead's best works

Old 05-29-2017, 10:20 PM   #374
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Aw man, you guys are breaking my heart. HTTT was great. I command each of you listen to it from front to back tonight!

Old 05-29-2017, 10:27 PM   #375
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

Globes, i actually like the fact that radiohead have a turd (don't mean that as in to shit on your tastes, just from my perspective) in their discography. it makes them human

i might give it another go sometime soon though.

Old 05-29-2017, 10:28 PM   #376
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

close, but wrong

OK Computer > Kid A > In Rainbows > The Bends > Hail to the Thief (suck it bitches) > Amnesiac > A Moon Shaped Pool > Pablo Honey > King of Limbs

Old 05-29-2017, 10:29 PM   #377
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh b0lly!!1 View Post
Globes, i actually like the fact that radiohead have a turd (don't mean that as in to shit on your tastes, just from my perspective) in their discography. it makes them human

i might give it another go sometime soon though.
I just...turd? I mean, what do you hear that you don't like? I think it's a pretty fucking groovy album, regardless of taste.

Old 05-29-2017, 10:32 PM   #378
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Can we get fuzzy's opinion?

Old 05-29-2017, 10:53 PM   #379
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

Quote:
I just...turd? I mean, what do you hear that you don't like? I think it's a pretty fucking groovy album, regardless of taste.
ok, bear with me here because i haven't listened to it in VERY long. but what i remember hearing, is just radiohead really trying hard to be the 'RADIOHEAD' everybody wants them to be.

like, they were just coming off Kid A and Amnesiac and a long time of highly experimental stuff, that for any other band would be career suicide. so this album seemed to me like an effort to win back mainstream affection (even tho Kid-Amn were obviously successful) and have the cake and eat it too.

it strikes me as almost insincere, in how it follows all the radiohead 'schticks' of yorke doing babbly head shaking vocals over doodling guitars all over again with purposely rambling and barely coherent lyrics. it wasn't a natural progression for the band and it felt forced. it felt like they made the record everybody wanted them to make. and a small additional complaint - from what i recall it didn't really have the usual radiohead subtlety that i love so much.

it just feels like a pretty generic band trying their best to do radiohead.

with that said, i really haven't tried listening to it in forever and will give it another shot. records i hated worse have turned into ones i love quite a bit before. so you never know

Old 05-29-2017, 10:58 PM   #380
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

I hear that. To me though, coming off of Kid A, Hail felt more like the band scaling it back a step and having a little more fun with the compositions. Didn't feel like a conscious attempt at reclaiming anything, just the next logical progression from a band who had previously pushed the boundaries of their music farther than ever before.

I dunno. The songs are kewl and the album flows nicely. That's all I hear when I listen to that record.

Old 05-29-2017, 10:59 PM   #381
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Can we get fuzzy's opinion?
Haven't really kept up all that much since OK Computer. I like that Wolf at the door song, there was some pretty good songs on that album. That was Hail To The Chief right? the one everyone else hates? lol

Old 05-29-2017, 11:00 PM   #382
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

haha i just inserted an edit that said the complete opposite re: logical progression, before reading that

opinions are funny indeed. i always liked Go To Sleep though, i must say

Old 05-29-2017, 11:04 PM   #383
fuzzyroes
Banned

What do you guys think of Karma Police?

The song came on when I was listening to the "Indie Classics" channel on the stringray app last night and I honestly don't know why it's revered as such a brilliant song. I never really liked it much in it's original radio run either.

Old 05-29-2017, 11:04 PM   #384
LaBelle
Socialphobic

Arrest this man

Old 05-29-2017, 11:05 PM   #385
fuzzyroes
Banned

I always sort of thought it was just a radiohead hit that fans really don't care all that much about, but any time I'm talking with a Radiohead fan in person it's a song that's always raved about.

Old 05-29-2017, 11:06 PM   #386
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

It came up on a playlist during love-making once and I never thought of it as a love-making song before but it kinda worked.

Old 05-29-2017, 11:07 PM   #387
fuzzyroes
Banned

Am I somehow just missing the brilliance, or do you guys agree that it's kind of just a shit song?

I know it probably seems like "fucking fuzzy, bringing up Karma Police" But I'm actually genuinely curious.

Old 05-29-2017, 11:08 PM   #388
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

It's a good song, just overplayed.

Old 05-29-2017, 11:08 PM   #389
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Let Down, Airbag, Electioneering -- THOSE are my shit.

Old 05-29-2017, 11:12 PM   #390
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

re: karma police

i agree there's a perplexing disparity between the topic/vibe/sound/overall power of the song, and the status it has.

i do love the song, but it just doesn't feel like a 'hit' to me, at all. more like a great deep cut. i really love that crooked choir sound at the end and the way the song drops off face down into a puddle of distorted noise.