Old 05-14-2007, 11:29 PM   #1051
japert smash
Pledge

"Revenge of the nerds, anyone?"

Dude you post here, i don t know how you are less nerd than me

Old 05-14-2007, 11:36 PM   #1052
mv2007
Ownz

Even though I dig the clip, I must say that Sweeney's version of Number of the Beast crushes Tarantula into dust.

Old 05-14-2007, 11:57 PM   #1053
jimmychauv
Pledge

"I wanna be down when you're happy"
"I wanna love you when your sad"?????

WTF IS THIS BULLSHIT BILLY
MY FUCKIN SOUL STILL HAS LIES AND I'M NOT CRUSHED TO DUST!!! FUCK!!!!

I'M BEYOND DISAPPOINTMENT! I'M ACTUALLY A LITTLE PISSED OFF!!
THIS IS THE FIRST TIME I'VE LISTENED TO A PUMPKINS SONG AND BEEN PISSED OFF AFTER LISTENING TO IT. THIS IS NOT GOOD

MAY THE GRACE OF MOTHER BE WITH ME!

Old 05-15-2007, 12:01 AM   #1054
SpFission
Apocalyptic Poster

Oh shut it you turd. I don't want to hear your crying.

Old 05-15-2007, 12:02 AM   #1055
You Said
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmychauv

"I wanna be down when you're happy"
"I wanna love you when your sad"?????

WTF IS THIS BULLSHIT BILLY
MY FUCKIN SOUL STILL HAS LIES AND I'M NOT CRUSHED TO DUST!!! FUCK!!!!

I'M BEYOND DISAPPOINTMENT! I'M ACTUALLY A LITTLE PISSED OFF!!
THIS IS THE FIRST TIME I'VE LISTENED TO A PUMPKINS SONG AND BEEN PISSED OFF AFTER LISTENING TO IT. THIS IS NOT GOOD

MAY THE GRACE OF MOTHER BE WITH ME!

It's a 28 sec muddy clip.

Old 05-15-2007, 12:46 AM   #1056
killtrocity
Saturday Night Goth

Quote:
Originally Posted by xezton
I was expecting a heavier guitar sound, like something more along the lines of Machina. This is light, airy, and poppy. Something the Pumpkins have done before, but in the past were able to make the heavy parts heavy and the light parts light ( Today comes to mind ). At least it's heavier *sounding* than Zwan. Thank GOD.

This sounds like they're definitely taking a step back into the gish/siamese dream sound, but bringing with them some of the new tricks they've put into MCIS, Adore and Machina. It's neat. Not what I expected, but hey, it's just 30 seconds of one song that is going to be played on the radio, so of course it's going to be the "Perfect", "Tonight, Tonight", and "Everlasting Gaze" of this album, while there are better songs to come (like the previous examples had several "better" tracks as well, that were much less approachable).

I'll buy it.
didnt feel like typing my own thoughts, this seems rational/ sums up my opinion

Old 05-15-2007, 01:26 AM   #1057
Squashings
Pledge

Very layered production... like Machina... very melodic... like Zwan... uh... I keep telling myself "It's only 30 seconds" and "It's only the lead single" but... I'm certainly not blown away...

Old 05-15-2007, 01:34 AM   #1058
Screwjack
Gonzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by japert smash
"Revenge of the nerds, anyone?"

Dude you post here, i don t know how you are less nerd than me
Because when he is posting, he types out complete sentences, forming complete rational thoughts that aren't full of grammatical errors or your nerdy "leet speek", or what ever you call your jive turkey slang talk.

e.g.

Quote:
Dude you post here
Quote:
i didn't hear nothing similar to Zwan in this 30 seconds
Quote:
the guitars are more metal by the way than Zwan
Congratulations, you are the uber-dork.
http://www.peteberwick.com/images/380_NERD.jpg

Old 05-15-2007, 01:37 AM   #1059
hnibos
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwjack
jive turkey slang talk.

Old 05-15-2007, 01:39 AM   #1060
bampton
Pledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwjack
Because when he is posting, he types out complete sentences, forming complete rational thoughts that aren't full of grammatical errors or your nerdy "leet speek", or what ever you call your jive turkey slang talk.
Thanks.

And good effort.

Old 05-15-2007, 01:40 AM   #1061
zsp77
Apocalyptic Poster

So far I completely detest the first half of the song and kind of like the second, though overall I am also HORRIFIED by what I have heard.

I find it interesting that "tarantula" is kind of a bad ass name, but the song is far from being bad ass.

The two words that sum up my feelings about the song are : "I'm embarrassed."

Old 05-15-2007, 01:55 AM   #1062
NarcisPrince
Pledge

Quote:
"You suck at life. Game over"
Angry Video Game Nerd material.

Burn with your lies.

Old 05-15-2007, 02:02 AM   #1063
kingy
Demi-God

I'm reserving final judgement until we hear the entire song. I don't love it but I don't hate it either.
I need to hear it in better quality and in full.

Old 05-15-2007, 02:11 AM   #1064
jack_kerouac03
Apocalyptic Poster

I love how people are judging the whole record based on a shitty real audio 30 clip.

Old 05-15-2007, 03:18 AM   #1065
stumpycat
Apocalyptic Poster

Oh, for fuck's sake. As I stated in a post some days ago (relating to the 17-second "leak") it is not necessary to have a symphony-length piece in lossless CD quality sound to make reasonable extrapolations about the sound, style, production, or general "feel" of the track in question. Because it is a song and therefore musical in some way (which implies that conventions of repeating rhythm, chorus, verse, chord progression, etc. are going to be followed) one can make a reasonable prediction about the rest of the song...especially if that song is not particularly long anyway (ie. there probably aren't going to be any surprise "movements" simply because there's no time for that development.)

And quality of the medium has nothing to do with judging whether or not I like a song or not. I have listened to some astoundingly shit recordings/sound files in my time--yet, did I think the songs themselves were shit? Hell no! The poor quality of the recordings merely made me all the more sad that I did not have a better copy. Yet I was always willing to deal with the bad recording quality because the songs themselves were great. To put it this way--there is nothing within this particular clip of "Tarantula" that makes me care to hear it in a better quality recording.

Old 05-15-2007, 03:20 AM   #1066
wHATcOLOR
THIS IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!

Location: || MY NAME IS KIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIID ROCK!!

i'm with you, stumpycat

Old 05-15-2007, 03:21 AM   #1067
paranoid
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumpycat
Oh, for fuck's sake. As I stated in a post some days ago (relating to the 17-second "leak") it is not necessary to have a symphony-length piece in lossless CD quality sound to make reasonable extrapolations about the sound, style, production, or general "feel" of the track in question. Because it is a song and therefore musical in some way (which implies that conventions of repeating rhythm, chorus, verse, chord progression, etc. are going to be followed) one can make a reasonable prediction about the rest of the song...especially if that song is not particularly long anyway (ie. there probably aren't going to be any surprise "movements" simply because there's no time for that development.)

And quality of the medium has nothing to do with judging whether or not I like a song or not. I have listened to some astoundingly shit recordings/sound files in my time--yet, did I think the songs themselves were shit? Hell no! The poor quality of the recordings merely made me all the more sad that I did not have a better copy. Yet I was always willing to deal with the bad recording quality because the songs themselves were great. To put it this way--there is nothing within this particular clip of "Tarantula" that makes me care to hear it in a better quality recording.
exactly how i've been trying to make my point. but worded much better.

Old 05-15-2007, 03:33 AM   #1068
The Melty Man
Ownz

Sorry folks, I have to say, I was right all along, and it sounds like Billy pretending to be FUCKING GREEN DAY!!!

Old 05-15-2007, 03:37 AM   #1069
The Melty Man
Ownz

Oh yeah, and it's not burning the lies off my soul yet. And no way is it ever going to crush me to dust with metal.

Old 05-15-2007, 03:39 AM   #1070
stumpycat
Apocalyptic Poster

That said, I'm not necessarily "condemning" the entire alblum. There is a very optimistic part of me that thinks Tarantula is primarily "radio bait" material, and that the rest of the album will have more in common with--at the least--what I heard in that promising 17-second clip. However, I think I have other legitimate concerns about the style I am hearing which may well be indicative of the general musical direction of the rest of the alblum. (And no, Billy's vocals aren't really one of them...they sound fine enough.) Amongst these are particular stylistic features which have so successfully alienated me from a majority of the music that is currently in heavy rotation on modern rock stations. (Vocal mix that is way too loud and prominent, guitars shoved into the background, faux-pop beats, terrible synthetic-sounding, literal vocal "chorus" in the, uh...chorus, etc.)

Old 05-15-2007, 03:39 AM   #1071
darcyismybass
Apocalyptic Poster

Location: makin movies, makin songs and fightin 'round the world

Tarantula is as metal as emo is "punk."

Old 05-15-2007, 03:43 AM   #1072
The Melty Man
Ownz

Quote:
There is a very optimistic part of me that thinks Tarantula is primarily "radio bait" material, and that the rest of the album will have more in common with--at the least--what I heard in that promising 17-second clip.
The Pumpkins have tried to make "radio bait" before and failed dismally. So this would be true to form for them.

Old 05-15-2007, 03:44 AM   #1073
stumpycat
Apocalyptic Poster

haha
But the advantage of "radio bait" is that it at least stays confined to a track or two.

Old 05-15-2007, 03:52 AM   #1074
Trotskilicious
Banned

Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.

Quote:

I found this 30 second clip of this SP song Soma and man is it crappy.

Old 05-15-2007, 04:09 AM   #1075
aiolia
Pledge

It's a huge letdown. Even 'Honestly' or 'Lyric' was so much better than this.

It's an uptempo song, but has no 'pumpkins dynamics' that you could feel with first 10 secs of Geek USA, I am One, or even Untitled.

I still hope the rest of the album is good. But even if it is, I'll still be pissed off by the fact that they chose this half-assed attempt of a 'catchy song' as a first single.

Old 05-15-2007, 04:17 AM   #1076
thomas_bland
Ownz

I'll give it the benefit until I hear it all, I was expecting something darker, heavier and different to this. I had a couple of listens last night and did wake up with it in my head on my way to work this morning, so hopefully it'll do it's job on the radio.

Old 05-15-2007, 04:26 AM   #1077
Rockin' Cherub
Braindead

this sounds like the smashing pumpkins playing a zwan song

ZWAN SONG

Old 05-15-2007, 04:29 AM   #1078
my name is mud
Pledge

Billy is a moron.

I had hope for this new Zwan song.

Old 05-15-2007, 04:44 AM   #1079
dirty_bartenda
Pledge

there's way too less bitching about sound quality going on. this clips sounds horrible.

song didn't quite impress me, but it's only 30 lousy secs and i've more or less always disliked their first single. anyway, you can all go ahead and write off the album based on this, i'm still hyped about paris and you Wii playing dumbfucks ain't ruining my fun. not before the album release does.

Old 05-15-2007, 04:55 AM   #1080
pubdoggy
Amish Rake Fighter

so I listened to it about 10 times last night before going to bed. First impressions - Zwan - the vocal harmonies at 7 seconds in are just undeniable. Bad start. Then at 16 seconds - the start of the second verse maybe, I just wanna sing "takin' over we're takin' over throw the weight.." etc. oh no.

but. woke up. went to work. played it again and found my self remembering it, singing along and dying to hear what comes next.

So - perfect first single material I'd say BUT doesn't mean it's what I listen to the Pumpkins for. I don't want a band with a top ten hit. I want what was promised. I want riffs that make me want to do damage - and even from 30 seconds you can definitely get a flavour of the song structure and sound and i jus' dunno. What a let down.