Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > General Chat Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08-31-2018, 09:07 PM   #1
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Default And i remember thinking...

How do people remember their days, let alone what they thought on them?

I occasionally fret that my memory, particularly of several vasty swaths of my childhood, is blank. Is this typical?

Was it all the booze/drugs through the horrible sad 20s? Can that kind of abuse wreck memories you made even before you started being an addict?

Thing is, I can’t even remember if I remembered things before that all started. Plus I forget to forget, too. But that’s not important

Anyone? You? How’s your memory, then? Wondering over here....

Old 08-31-2018, 09:32 PM   #2
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

memory lol smoke weed

Old 08-31-2018, 09:42 PM   #3
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Do you ever feel like you can recite the events that happen d but can’t remember how it felt like to be there in it?

2fukt2swear
thateyewaz
Ther

Old 08-31-2018, 09:47 PM   #4
butthurt
Apocalyptic Poster

http://topyaps.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/1_4.gif

Old 08-31-2018, 09:48 PM   #5
Elphenor
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run To Me View Post
Plus I forget to forget, too
I forget to remember

Old 08-31-2018, 10:10 PM   #6
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run To Me View Post
How do people remember their days, let alone what they thought on them?

I occasionally fret that my memory, particularly of several vasty swaths of my childhood, is blank. Is this typical?

Was it all the booze/drugs through the horrible sad 20s? Can that kind of abuse wreck memories you made even before you started being an addict?

Thing is, I can’t even remember if I remembered things before that all started. Plus I forget to forget, too. But that’s not important

Anyone? You? How’s your memory, then? Wondering over here....
it is typical to not remember your childhood before about age 3. after that, you should be able to remember something from all of it. sometimes people with trauma remember little or none of their childhoods before a certain age, i've heard up until 14 before

as for substance abuse wrecking older memories, i'm really not sure. i also have this issue. my best friend most of my life ended up dying from drugs and we did a ton of stuff together from 2 years old until about 25 (he died at 29) and i feel like i don't even remember who he was, funny i still have emotions relating to his death and missing him but i couldn't really describe his personality very much. my other friend did his eulogy at his funeral and i was like is that really who scott was. that's when i realized i didn't even know him as far as my memory of specifics is concerned

Old 09-01-2018, 12:44 AM   #7
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by reprise85 View Post
it is typical to not remember your childhood before about age 3. after that, you should be able to remember something from all of it. sometimes people with trauma remember little or none of their childhoods before a certain age, i've heard up until 14 before

as for substance abuse wrecking older memories, i'm really not sure. i also have this issue. my best friend most of my life ended up dying from drugs and we did a ton of stuff together from 2 years old until about 25 (he died at 29) and i feel like i don't even remember who he was, funny i still have emotions relating to his death and missing him but i couldn't really describe his personality very much. my other friend did his eulogy at his funeral and i was like is that really who scott was. that's when i realized i didn't even know him as far as my memory of specifics is concerned
Thanks

Yeah, that’s what i mean. I think. Like you can remember that technically you had this friend, and apparently you did things together, i am aware that i also was around some ppl and did some stuff, there are stories of it, people can confirm that it’s true if i recite things that happened, etc.

But i just don’t remember at all what it felt like, inside, to be living in a moment in that time, for most times

Only sporadically do i have emotional/tactile content to my memories

Old 09-01-2018, 01:22 AM   #8
redbreegull

I'm not sure if this is exactly what you mean, but I think it is normal for memories to warp and fade over time. For instance, I recently read that children up to ~age 8 retain fairly intricate, detailed memories of their early childhoods (like reprise said, around 3/4), but after that our first memories begin to become hazier and more distant. I think most adults only have vague memories of being that age.

I have smoked a lot of weed and I honestly do not believe it has had any effect on my long term memory, although I think it is harder to form memories when you are stoned and it is obviously harder to recall things when you are stoned.

Memory is kind of a malleable thing, and I also know that each time we retrieve a memory from our mental library, we are exposing that "file" to the context of the present and thus actually changing the information in a way. This is how different people often remember the same event very disparately, or how we can have an acute memory of a certain event but be proven wrong.

It's pretty depressing when you think about it. memories are like misshapen ghosts of the past, and they only become more twisted and faded as time passes

Old 09-01-2018, 02:58 AM   #9
Alice
Minion of Satan

I don't have any real memories before about the age of 12

Old 09-01-2018, 03:01 AM   #10
Alice
Minion of Satan

But I know that's not normal. Still no idea why though. I'm starting to think I may never find out

Old 09-01-2018, 03:33 AM   #11
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

Wow. Nothing of primary school, the house you lived in, pets, toys?

Old 09-01-2018, 04:13 AM   #12
queenoftheswine
Demi-God

Location: Some area where the Canadian dollar is far more valuable than my own.

My memory is atrocious and I find this thread deeply depressing.

Old 09-01-2018, 04:57 AM   #13
qwerty sp
Apocalyptic Poster

It’s hard to remember second-to-second reality

But that’s what it really was like... always

Old 09-01-2018, 07:03 AM   #14
FoolofaTook

more like aeon to aeon realty when your smoking treez

Old 09-01-2018, 11:11 AM   #15
Alice
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashingjj View Post
Wow. Nothing of primary school, the house you lived in, pets, toys?
Yeah pretty much nothing. Some things I know about because of stories or pictures but basically no real memories. I have some vague impressions which may or may not be based in reality but that's about it. It's very strange and pretty sad

Old 09-01-2018, 11:22 AM   #16
Rairun
Apocalyptic Poster

What I tend to forget as I grow older (I'm 34 now) are the names of places, people, books, phone numbers, etc. I've also forgotten pretty much all my primary school teachers with a couple of exceptions. I still remember A LOT of my childhood though. I have a couple of hazy memories from when I was 2-3. I have at least a couple of dozen memories from 3 to 5 (enough that I still remember what it felt like to be that age), and then I have very detailed memories of my life from age 6 on. Like I said, I've forgotten details that I definitely did remember in my mid-twenties, but the overall stories/images/feelings are still pretty clear in my mind.

Old 09-01-2018, 02:21 PM   #17
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoolofaTook View Post
memory lol smoke weed
lol memory

Old 09-01-2018, 02:25 PM   #18
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
Yeah pretty much nothing. Some things I know about because of stories or pictures but basically no real memories. I have some vague impressions which may or may not be based in reality but that's about it. It's very strange and pretty sad
wow

my memory is super bad in a lot of ways, but I remember my parents' phone number from I was five, my brother and sister's, my parents' car's license plate, my friends, my pets, my toys, etc. I basically remember all of that.

my earliest memory, and I am in no way sure cause it may be a 'memory of a memory' or just a memory of something my mother told me later on, but it was that my mum was holding me in the apartment we lived in together before she got remarried, watching the moon.

any possibility you might have suppressed memories from back then?

Old 09-01-2018, 02:36 PM   #19
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

my first pet was a rabbit, one closely related to this one: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flemish_Giant_rabbit

I can't think of the name of the breed anymore.

i had some more of them later on. I loved them, and my father built my old bureau into a rabbit cage. I was always a cat person though, from a very early age (also one of my earliest memories), but since my mum was allergic I had a rabbit in the garden.

Old 09-01-2018, 02:40 PM   #20
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

the house I lived in between 5 and 9 got broken into twice, it was in a bad area in the city we then lived in. first time my dad was in the hospital with asthma complications, mum and me came home from it, I couldn't have been older than 6 or 7. the place was completely messed up; they threw everything all over the place in search of valuable stuff. my mother had her father's coin collection, the burglar cunt took all of the 1 and 2,5 guilder coins instead of the whole collection which would have been worth much more. we slept together in my parent's double bed with a hammer under the pillow.

that was after she changed the sheets; there were footsteps on the bed as we first saw it.

Old 09-01-2018, 02:45 PM   #21
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

second burglary was when I was with my babysitter, maybe a year or two after the first one. I came home with said babysitter and her mum, they apparently took care of me when both my parents were working. the light was on, all our shit was messed up again, and I immediately knew what was going on. scared shitless, I pissed my pants.

apparently the burglar was still in the house when we entered it; they will have been in the attic. in the kitchen there were bags full of cd's. my parents just started buying (classical) cd's, it was the early nineties, they were worth something back then. I remember the mother of the babysitter trying to calm me by saying that maybe my older brother came to borrow some cd's but I did not buy that.

Old 09-01-2018, 02:53 PM   #22
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

not a childhood memory, but now that we're on it: -

third burglary was when I was in my late twenties, living in a student home, on the first floor. apparently, my roommate on the ground floor (there were 15 of us in this big, ancient house, first built as a monastery in the 11th century in the center of the city I lived in) woke up because someone had thrown something at him.

later, it turned out, he was woke up from his sleep on his couch because he must have turned around or something. the burglar threw a can of honey towards his head, luckily covered by his arms. he needed no medical care.

the house was in a weird state; some of my socks that were drying had been taken and my roommate, still one of my closest friends, her sweater had been used as...toilet paper. the burglar shit into a bucket in on of the kitchens and used here sweater to wipe his ass.

he took a laptop of the honeypot-assaulted roommate and I think some keys that were never used, aside from the clothes.

few years later it turned out it was some addict friend of another roommate, also still a close friend.

I might have made a topic about it way back when.

Old 09-01-2018, 05:05 PM   #23
queenoftheswine
Demi-God

Location: Some area where the Canadian dollar is far more valuable than my own.

Quote:
and my roommate, still one of my closest friends, her sweater had been used as...toilet paper. the burglar shit into a bucket in on of the kitchens and used here sweater to wipe his ass.
I've actually heard of a couple of burglaries where they smashed the place and left a shit somewhere random, like on top of a table. I wonder what it is about breaking into someone's house that triggers bowel movements.

Those all seem like pretty vivid memories. My first pet was also a rabbit. A white one, but I don't remember it having red eyes. It might have.
One time he ate rat poison and we were told he was going to slowly dry up on the inside and die a pretty horrible death. My mum bought an insane amount of carrots (lol) and locked the rabbit outside until he ate and shat the entire contents of his body to get rid of the poison.

It worked and the rabbit survived. Then we gave it to my babysitter/lady who helped us out in the house and she took it home. We suspect she ate him.

Old 09-01-2018, 05:25 PM   #24
ilikeplanets
Braindead

my memory is not nearly as bad as i would have thought, considering what i did from like 14-27ish.....my short term memory is excellent, but there are definitely large gaps in my past that make very little sense to me

Old 09-01-2018, 05:36 PM   #25
FoolofaTook

when i was around four some poor pinoys stole our laundry off the drying line.

serves my imperialist missionary parents right. ha! hail baphomet!

Old 09-01-2018, 06:10 PM   #26
buzzard
Minion of Satan

Having a good memory is a overrated.

Life ends up full of moments like when Dukie tried to reminisce with Michael about that time they threw piss-filled balloons at the kids from the terraces.

Old 09-02-2018, 07:18 PM   #27
myosis
Minion of Satan

i remember all the nightmares i had as a kid

Old 09-02-2018, 08:12 PM   #28
Alice
Minion of Satan

Quote:
any possibility you might have suppressed memories from back then?
Yeah this seems like the most likely explanation but who knows

Old 09-03-2018, 08:33 AM   #29
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Location: I’ve been trying to move to the Nordic countries for 5 years but the cost is astronomical to become an expatriate

I forgot to post here for like 2 months.

Old 09-03-2018, 08:47 AM   #30
FoolofaTook

i should try that. think we would all benefit from it.