Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-2014, 02:35 PM   #61
AveryLoren
Apocalyptic Poster

This was all lower United States.

Old 01-20-2014, 03:13 PM   #62
Trotskilicious
Banned

Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.

bros it's possible, it's definitely possible

dude needs to be hungry again, he needs Jay-Z or Stephen Malkmus to start beef with him or something

Old 01-20-2014, 10:48 PM   #63
toase
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotskilicious View Post
bros it's possible, it's definitely possible

dude needs to be hungry again, he needs Jay-Z or Stephen Malkmus to start beef with him or something
that makes some weird sense

Old 01-20-2014, 11:40 PM   #64
Ram27
dumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereIsNoWhy4U View Post
Yeah but there are no songs on there that I could imagine anyone feel emotionally connected to in the same way that people feel connected to songs like 'Hummer', 'To Forgive' or 'Tonight Tonight'.

Also, he could find something to write about. Just because he's rich now, he still faces a lot of issues. He could write about how many festivals shun his band as being a nostalgia act for example.
I think part of the problem is that it's hard to connect to a song where you have no respect for any of its creators whatsoever.

If the band sucks or the vocals suck you can't get past that to feel emotional about the songs. That stuff has to be good first.

Old 01-20-2014, 11:48 PM   #65
slunken
Virgo

breaking news: rock and roll concerts are attended by young people

Old 01-21-2014, 06:30 AM   #66
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavementtune View Post
Gaslight Anthem, really? Happened to see them live last year, it was so horrible that I didn't even want to try listening to one of their albums.

Edit: to clarify what I mean by horrible

I only have their latest album... It's pretty solid.

The big hit is absolutely fucking rad:

This songs pretty rad too, Love the chorus and the little lead guitar riff that goes along with it.

Old 01-21-2014, 06:44 AM   #67
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliana View Post
What a shock. SP fans discussing an SP album on an SP message board.

If you've moved on fuzzy, why are you here?
I'm a big fan of SP... All of the original output and a good chunk of the 2007-2008 material/live performances... The bands just took a huge nose-dive and got really lame once Jimmy and Ginger had had enough. I think the shitty drumming from Byrne is a big part of it too... Probably holding Billy back a tremendous amount in the studio.

As for why I'm still here... I'm not realy sure. Part of it is the train-wreck factor, part of it is that I've followed this band for so bloody long that I'm just curious to see what turns out (maybe a little hope that Corgan will get his shit together and just do his own thing or work with some better musicians and put out some good music again)

But let's see it for what it is, Teargarden and Oceania are shit albums. If you like it you should check out this band called Matchbox 20.

Last edited by fuzzyroes : 01-21-2014 at 06:51 AM.

Old 01-21-2014, 06:50 AM   #68
fuzzyroes
Banned

Oceania is the kind of middle of the road, non-offensive album that did well because it's the type of music that a soccer mom would pick up (because she remembers SP from when she was a teen), pop into the car player and have it on in the background as she drives from time to time.

It's sorta like the new U2. Does well cause it's something that people who don't like music pick up and just have on to hum along with in the background because it's so straightforward and safe... A goo-goo dolls, John Mayer kinda thing.

Old 01-21-2014, 09:26 AM   #69
rehabtranny
Amish Rake Fighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyroes View Post
But let's see it for what it is, Teargarden and Oceania are shit albums. If you like it you should check out this band called Matchbox 20.
ouch, harsh. matchbox 20 is so much worse/cringe-worthy

Old 01-21-2014, 12:59 PM   #70
TheEdgeboy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereIsNoWhy4U View Post
So, SP would have a much much bigger fanbase had they not broken up? They would have faded away even more, probably with two more albums released along the way. Corgan could never turn the dime on Machina II, lets face that fact for a second. At least not from the commercial aspect, even if I don't care about that. Radioheads albums have always performed well and been well executed creatively. Because Radiohead didn't have a 'Machina' to fuck things up.

It's less about 'breaking up' SP than carrying on with a certain level of integrity.

There's no good reason why SP shouldn't have had the same career arc as Pearl Jam. But one still packs arena's and the other...well...bickers about past b.s.

Old 01-21-2014, 01:38 PM   #71
Trotskilicious
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rehab****** View Post
ouch, harsh. matchbox 20 is so much worse/cringe-worthy
nah he's got a point, washed out dullrock for the masses

Old 01-21-2014, 01:39 PM   #72
Trotskilicious
Banned

teargarden is the kind of work that even fred durst wouldn't release

Old 01-21-2014, 02:37 PM   #73
slunken
Virgo

fred durst is not a musician

Old 01-21-2014, 06:32 PM   #74
Trotskilicious
Banned

i'm just saying that even the least talented piece of human garbage that has ever soiled the world with his music wouldn't let something like teargarden see the light of day

Old 01-21-2014, 07:44 PM   #75
slunken
Virgo

Teargarden could have been awesome but I think most of us were expecting acoustic bedroom songs

Old 01-21-2014, 09:15 PM   #76
Shallowed
Braindead

Quote:
It's sorta like the new U2. Does well cause it's something that people who don't like music pick up and just have on to hum along with in the background because it's so straightforward and safe... A goo-goo dolls, John Mayer kinda thing.
The kind of CD that you can find at the supermarket or a gas station.

Old 01-21-2014, 09:34 PM   #77
juliana
Apocalyptic Poster

I like how fuzzy thinks he knows music.

Old 01-21-2014, 09:36 PM   #78
juliana
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by slunken View Post
Teargarden could have been awesome but I think most of us were expecting acoustic bedroom songs

Would have liked that

Old 01-21-2014, 09:48 PM   #79
Trotskilicious
Banned

fuzzy has come a long way though

Old 01-21-2014, 10:46 PM   #80
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
I like how fuzzy thinks he knows music.
Lol, what have I said that isn't true?

I've always had a tremendous passion for music. I got seriously into it when I was 8. I think I know quite a bit about it. I've also played the guitar for over 15 years and drums over 10, so I have a fair understanding about the fundamentals and production of music

Old 01-21-2014, 10:49 PM   #81
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
thanks dude

Old 01-22-2014, 01:01 AM   #82
juliana
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Lol, what have I said that isn't true?

I've always had a tremendous passion for music. I got seriously into it when I was 8. I think I know quite a bit about it. I've also played the guitar for over 15 years and drums over 10, so I have a fair understanding about the fundamentals and production of music
You haven't once said anything that is remotely intellectual concerning music. You just spout off shit like oceania is like match box 20 and the U2 albums you buy at the car wash. Or you bitch about others that are having convo about Oceania because they don't have the same opinion as you.

People like different types of music, why shit on people's tastes cause they are different than yours, you aren't a teenager.

Old 01-22-2014, 02:05 AM   #83
Lucky Day Spa
mirrar quit netphoria

huh, gaslight anthem sound like the killers now

didn't see that coming

Old 01-22-2014, 06:06 AM   #84
Cool As Ice Cream
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Quote:
he made it all the way to my ignore list.

Old 01-22-2014, 10:24 AM   #85
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
You haven't once said anything that is remotely intellectual concerning music. You just spout off shit like oceania is like match box 20 and the U2 albums you buy at the car wash. Or you bitch about others that are having convo about Oceania because they don't have the same opinion as you.

People like different types of music, why shit on people's tastes cause they are different than yours, you aren't a teenager.
Not sure how I can be intellectual regarding the topic, It's all pretty straightforward. Corgans playing with a 2ndrate line-up of yesmen making lethargic and uninteresting music. I can't really blame the guy, it's gotta be hard to get inspired when you're wrangling in personality types like Mike and Jeff to create with. "a little too nicey-nice" is one way to put it

I'm not even trying to be a "negative nancy" I listened to Oceania many times, wanting to dig it... But it just does nothing for me. Even Teargarden had 1 good song (tom-tom).

Lets face it, these last 2 albums are the big turds in the punchbowl SP library-wise. Zeitgeist was spotty, but atleast Jimmy acted as a saving grace. It's hard to find any redeeming qualities in these last 2 releases.

Stop trying to polish a turd Julia... And I thought you were just ranting and raving about the band sucking ass a few months ago? Why the sudden change of heart? you and Nicole conversing on the internet again? haha

Old 01-22-2014, 10:25 AM   #86
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Day Spa View Post
huh, gaslight anthem sound like the killers now

didn't see that coming
Fuck that shit man!

Old 01-22-2014, 11:13 AM   #87
juliana
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Not sure how I can be intellectual regarding the topic, It's all pretty straightforward. Corgans playing with a 2ndrate line-up of yesmen making lethargic and uninteresting music. I can't really blame the guy, it's gotta be hard to get inspired when you're wrangling in personality types like Mike and Jeff to create with. "a little too nicey-nice" is one way to put it

I'm not even trying to be a "negative nancy" I listened to Oceania many times, wanting to dig it... But it just does nothing for me. Even Teargarden had 1 good song (tom-tom).

Lets face it, these last 2 albums are the big turds in the punchbowl SP library-wise. Zeitgeist was spotty, but atleast Jimmy acted as a saving grace. It's hard to find any redeeming qualities in these last 2 releases.

Stop trying to polish a turd Julia... And I thought you were just ranting and raving about the band sucking ass a few months ago? Why the sudden change of heart? you and Nicole conversing on the internet again? haha
I did not like the line up in 2013. That has not changed, but I have been listening to oceania, I like the album now, though I think it is a hard album to connect to. Not sure why it matters to you that some like oceania, and you never did respond in anyways that makes me thing you like music. Critiquing something by saying it sucks isn't really valid.

I think Zeitgeist is just pumpkins trash, it sounds like Billy tried to think about how the pumpkins would sound if James and D'arcy were never involved. Which I am not into. i do like neverlost Neverlost.

I don't think you know what Corgan meant when he said "nicey-nice". Also, You know a lot of people who were fans up to Adore called that album boring and shitty too.

Sorry to screw your theory, but I no longer speak to nicole. I have respect for her as a musician though.

Old 01-22-2014, 11:25 AM   #88
Trotskilicious
Banned

juliana if i were to accept that all music was subjective then i'd have to actually acknowledge that limp bizkit and nickelback are actually good, it's just not my taste.

i refuse to accept this. music is objective! some things are factually shit! I'm working on proving it with mathematics!

Old 01-22-2014, 11:48 AM   #89
juliana
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
juliana if i were to accept that all music was subjective then i'd have to actually acknowledge that limp bizkit and nickelback are actually good, it's just not my taste.

i refuse to accept this. music is objective! some things are factually shit! I'm working on proving it with mathematics!
But this is exactly what I am saying and what Fuzzy is not. I think people are entitled to like and dislike music however they like. Fuzzy believes he knows these albums are shit and any other opinion is not acceptable. He believes he knows a lot about music and therefore his opinion should be taken as facts.

He also thinks that since I am interested in a new SP album, I am stuck in the past and should find new music. However, he has stated he is on these boards and hasn't moved on because he likes all the old SP albums.

Old 01-22-2014, 01:33 PM   #90
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
I've always had a tremendous passion for music. I got seriously into it when I was 8.