Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > General Boards > General Chat Message Board
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2020, 10:49 AM   #181
MplsTaper
Apocalyptic Poster

Star Tribune
@StarTribune·
1h
Minneapolis City Council members plan to vote today on some of the first changes to be made to the Police Department in response to the death of #GeorgeFloyd.

Minneapolis City Council to vote Friday on first changes to police
City Council President Lisa Bender said pledges to "dismantle" the police
By Liz Navratil Star Tribune JUNE 5, 2020 — 10:19AM

https://www.startribune.com/minneapo...ice/571032682/

Old 06-05-2020, 11:11 AM   #182
MplsTaper
Apocalyptic Poster

Recapping the past 2 or 3 days:

- Governor Walz launches Civil Rights investigation into the MPD

- ACLU class-action lawsuit against the MPD for targeting journalists and protesters

- Minneapolis City Council votes on first steps to dismantle the MPD and start over

Old 06-05-2020, 12:09 PM   #183
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

The White House is all the way to the upper right behind the trees in this photo. This is 16th Street, which ends at Lafayette park in front of the White House

Old 06-05-2020, 12:12 PM   #184
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

The DC Mayor is diplomatically trying to resist Trump. She can't stop him from occupying the District with 7000 troops, or from taking over our police department. But she can commission this mural.

Old 06-05-2020, 12:14 PM   #185
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyOneAndOnly View Post
The White House is all the way to the upper right behind the trees in this photo. This is 16th Street, which ends at Lafayette park in front of the White House

Omg this is fantastic! What a win for the movement

Old 06-05-2020, 12:17 PM   #186
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

yeah that's awesome

Old 06-05-2020, 12:40 PM   #187
yo soy el mejor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run To Me View Post
Omg this is fantastic! What a win for the movement
>_>

Old 06-05-2020, 12:44 PM   #188
FoolofaTook

how come you don't use the n word anymore, y s e m?

Old 06-05-2020, 12:45 PM   #189
Alice
Minion of Satan

"CHARLOTTE, N.C. (WBTV) - Charlotte City member Braxton Winston plans to introduce a policy change Monday that will stop spending on chemical agents used by police for dispersing crowds during non-violent protests.

'City Council can take a major step toward reforming policing in Charlotte on Monday - and set an example for America,” Winston said. “You’ve seen our police department, and departments across the country, release clouds of tear gas into crowds protesting the killing of George Floyd, stinging eyes and causing marchers to remove masks in coughing fits in the middle of a health pandemic.'

Winston says he will introduce the motion Monday that will recommend adjustments to police spending and policy. Winston says he is making a substitute motion to direct the administration not to spend money on new or existing stocks of chemical agents used for crowd control in 2021.

The announcement comes after city leaders questioned CMPD’s actions during a June 2 incident caught on video by a local alternative newspaper during uptown Charlotte protests over the death of George Floyd. Since Friday, police say CMPD’s Internal Affairs has received 50 complaints on officers, 49 of which were received Wednesday."

Old 06-05-2020, 01:18 PM   #190
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by yo soy el mejor View Post
>_>
Sorry, could u be more specific

Did i not express my own lil inconsequential enthusiasm in precisely the correct/accepted manner, in your view, or something?

Eager to make this right! Just let me know, thanks

Old 06-05-2020, 01:37 PM   #191
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

get a load of Run2Me being white in 2020

2020, of all years!

Old 06-05-2020, 02:03 PM   #192
pavementtune

Location: I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run To Me View Post
Sorry, could u be more specific

Did i not express my own lil inconsequential enthusiasm in precisely the correct/accepted manner, in your view, or something?

Eager to make this right! Just let me know, thanks
You said painting a street is a win "for the movement". Which one? Because BLMDC isn't applauding.

https://twitter.com/alexisgoldstein/status/1268917917829251072

Last edited by pavementtune : 06-05-2020 at 02:10 PM.

Old 06-05-2020, 02:19 PM   #193
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavementtune View Post
You said painting a street is a win "for the movement". Which one? Because BLMDC isn't applauding.

https://twitter.com/alexisgoldstein/status/1268917917829251072

Ok i take it back, sorry i was uneducated

Going to return to my regularly scheduled stfu now, so bye bye, good luck with all the movements, everyone

Old 06-05-2020, 03:04 PM   #194
pavementtune

Location: I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.

A STFU wasn't my intention, come on now, run2pee.

From my totally sheltered place on the sidelines I feel overwhelmed just trying to read bits and pieces the past 10 days or so. Which is uncomfortable to say because poor me, overwhelmed with reading and watching videos in my cosy privileged home.

I can't tell any more what's actually a step forward, what might just be political marketing, I have no idea, maybe I never had. I just read and change my mind 5 times an hour.

I see something, think "heck yea", 10 minutes later I read critical voices on that and am back to "well, okay, not that great, no reason to party."

tldr I didn't mean to shit on what you said. I'm confused, too.

Old 06-05-2020, 03:15 PM   #195
Alice
Minion of Satan

Please don't disengage Run To Me

Old 06-05-2020, 03:22 PM   #196
FoolofaTook

Quote:

From my totally sheltered place on the sidelines I feel overwhelmed just trying to read bits and pieces the past 10 days or so. Which is uncomfortable to say because poor me, overwhelmed with reading and watching videos in my cosy privileged home.

I can't tell any more what's actually a step forward, what might just be political marketing, I have no idea, maybe I never had. I just read and change my mind 5 times an hour.

I see something, think "heck yea", 10 minutes later I read critical voices on that and am back to "well, okay, not that great, no reason to party."

yeah i saw an article criticizing the painting on guardian like half an hour after i posted thats awesome

i felt like a fool

Old 06-05-2020, 03:37 PM   #197
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Quote:

Thanks

Sorry i was so defensive, feeling overwhelmed with the desire to throw in for the good guys here but it’s all i can do with my time and other scant resources to help my small family possibly survive a global pandemic

And also yes look at me white centering over here, i feel shitty about how shitty things are and how it’s probably my fault somehow for not doing more or saying more and everything, like back when i had more of a chance, like maybe in school or something

But i was raised by extreme racists and surrounded by even more racists at school and work as a child and young man so after leaving my hometown and getting some education, i just sorta patted myself on the back for (hopefully) being silently not racist. But like, it’s racist to be silent, i get that too

Anyway, enough from me, if i do speak up about all these exciting things going on i will make sure im educated first, so as not to offend

Last edited by run2pee : 06-05-2020 at 03:45 PM. Reason: Original post was even more unwittingly white centered than this edited attempt

Old 06-05-2020, 03:46 PM   #198
redbreegull

I'm not going to try and engage the bad blood between Muriel Bowser and BLM or what she has or hasn't done for the black community in DC cause I have no context to speak on that

But she is the best mayor DC has had in a long time.

Old 06-05-2020, 03:50 PM   #199
pavementtune

run2pee: I considered that approach, educate myself first, open my mouth later (if at all).
Thing is, I learn best by falling on my face. I figure when I don't say what I think (in that minute, mind you), how can I even know how ignorant I am?
I could stay quiet for 20 years, because I figure that's how long I will need to actually change myself. Or, I could say offensive things now and then (unintentionally), be told why I'm way off, and learn it faster?

My "say whatever I feel atm" approach is probably a very selfish one, plus I put the task to teach me why I'm wrong on others.
I'll see myself out, I'm confused!

Btw, run2pee, head over to the other thread, ways to help, Alice posted books for children in there. I know a few of them, which are very much loved in my home, your kids will love them, too.

Old 06-05-2020, 03:59 PM   #200
redbreegull

also, Shaun King is on social media saying the writing on the street is beautiful. So. I think the quest as an ally to align one's views/words with everything others with more ethos say is ultimately folly. You obviously can't agree with two activists who have opposite views because both of them are in a better place to have an opinion than you. It's better sometimes to be in the middle, and just have no strong opinion, or say I don't know.

Old 06-05-2020, 04:00 PM   #201
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

She has consistently catered to big money interests in DC, and has done little to address inequality, racist policing, and the continued erosion of the school system. She is viewed here as an "establishment Democrat". This city is really damn expensive to live in, and the police here have a nasty history of violence toward people of color. Nothing has changed in that regard while she's been in office.

There are some areas where her hands are tied. The president could take over the Police force at any time and run it from the West Wing and she cannot stop him. She cannot stop him from occupying The District with soldiers. If Trump wanted to he could actually suspend the entire elected government of DC and install a puppet Governor that reports to him. I think her tempered response to Trump in her public statements is due to these realities. But that no solace to people literally dying in the streets right now.

Old 06-05-2020, 04:06 PM   #202
pavementtune

Breegy: The question isn't if it looks pretty, is it?
My question is if it means anything beyond optics. Assuming the numbers there are correct, and the very same politician doing this is increasing the budget for the police?

Ah, thanks Sofi.

Old 06-05-2020, 04:08 PM   #203
redbreegull

Quote:
Breegy: The question isn't if it looks pretty, is it?
My question is if it means anything beyond optics. Assuming the numbers there are correct, and the very same politician doing this is increasing the budget for the police?
I mean I don't think Shaun King meant "it looks pretty." I think he means he sees it as a meaningful gesture.

My point is that I don't feel the need to side strongly with either view when BLM says it is meaningless, but one of America's most prominent black activists says, "Beautiful new street mural in Washington, DC. Do this in your city too." I'm not about to claim that either of those perspectives is wrong.

Old 06-05-2020, 04:13 PM   #204
pavementtune

Good for you, I can try to have an opinion, though, I don't need to copy either activist's opinion, do I?

Old 06-05-2020, 04:14 PM   #205
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

no this is definitely an occasion where people flat out disown you if your opinion differs at all from the mainstream of either side

Old 06-05-2020, 04:15 PM   #206
redbreegull

Quote:
Good for you, I can try to have an opinion, though, I don't need to copy either activist's opinion, do I?
I've been told to stop talking and listen enough times in the last few years that I am over this. If I don't have the personal context to form an intelligent or meaningful opinion, I won't.

Old 06-05-2020, 04:19 PM   #207
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Location: Let me see you do the booty hop. And now make the booty stop. Now drop, and do the booty wop.
Question

I am coming at this from a place of total ignorance, but I recently watched a documentary with Shaun King in it, and I thought he sounded really smart, so I started following him. But lately I've been seeing this article about him posted a lot. In fact, in a lot of places where I've seen info on what we can be doing right now, it'll explicitly say at the top "Don't donate to Shaun King."

Again, I don't know what the deal is there — does anyone have more info? That article does not make him look great, but I don't know if some counter-article has debunked it or what.

Old 06-05-2020, 04:21 PM   #208
redbreegull

I'll read that later on. I'm not sure. He has a lot of enemies. He has been responsible for the identification of a lot of white supremacists who have been engaged in violence and caught on camera in the last few years. He also routinely leads the effort for the public to pressure governments into making arrests in hate crimes, like he did with the lynching in Georgia.

Old 06-05-2020, 04:25 PM   #209
pavementtune

Quote:
Originally Posted by topleybird View Post
I am coming at this from a place of total ignorance, but I recently watched a documentary with Shaun King in it, and I thought he sounded really smart, so I started following him. But lately I've been seeing this article about him posted a lot. In fact, in a lot of places where I've seen info on what we can be doing right now, it'll explicitly say at the top "Don't donate to Shaun King."

Again, I don't know what the deal is there — does anyone have more info? That article does not make him look great, but I don't know if some counter-article has debunked it or what.
I read about Shaun King's money raising issues for some time. True or not, I generally don't give a shit what he says as a result, that might be where my combative mood here comes from.

Old 06-05-2020, 04:30 PM   #210
pavementtune

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post
I've been told to stop talking and listen enough times in the last few years that I am over this. If I don't have the personal context to form an intelligent or meaningful opinion, I won't.
You are "over this", implying that questioning what's in front of me and having an opinion on it means it's neither intelligent nor meaningful to do so, but once I reach your state of enlightenment, I'll decide "the middle of what I read on twitter" with no own opinion is the way to go?
Not happening, what works for you doesn't have to work for someone else. I also didn't really catch that you are doing that when you state things like cops are cops because the bottom line is they want to be killers (or something along these lines).
That's an intelligent, meaningful opinion to you?