Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > General Boards > General Chat Message Board
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11-25-2021, 05:05 PM   #1
ilikeplanets
Braindead

Default Happy Thanksgiving!

You guys doing anything fun? What did you cook?
I am making chicken this year instead of turkey, since there's only 4 of us. We're still Covid cautious so I'm not traveling to see anyone, although I don't really do much of that even without Covid. Also made dressing/stuffing, salad, stuffed mushrooms, maple pecan sweet potatoes, cranberry sauce, and chocolate swirled pumpkin pie. Anybody doing anything more exciting? Please tell me.

Old 11-25-2021, 07:05 PM   #2
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

Crystal meth for the whole family!

Old 11-25-2021, 07:26 PM   #3
buzzard
Minion of Satan

It's difficult to imagine pumpkin as a dessert.

Old 11-25-2021, 07:38 PM   #4
ilikeplanets
Braindead

I really don't love pumpkin pie, hence the chocolate swirl. I was too busy to deal with apple or cherry pie, even though they're better. Pumpkin isn't super popular in the states other than in pie, sometimes in soups or pasta filling. How do you eat it?

Old 11-25-2021, 07:39 PM   #5
ilikeplanets
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashingjj View Post
Crystal meth for the whole family!
I can't make the same thing as last year!

Old 11-25-2021, 09:42 PM   #6
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard View Post
The only reason we really use pumpkin is because it's a good medium for suspending pumpkin spice and sugar.

I mean "we" as in North Americans. I celebrate Thanksgiving in the correct month.

Old 11-25-2021, 10:01 PM   #7
Dogfighter28
ILL KILL UR DOG

Pumpkin pie is delicious idgaf

Old 11-25-2021, 10:05 PM   #8
Ram27
dumb

pumpkin pie is pretty good, most especially with an egregious amount of whipped cream

pumpkins/pumpkin spice/pumpkins, smashing are generally excellent. cannot go wrong, especially this time of year

Old 11-25-2021, 10:25 PM   #9
buzzard
Minion of Satan

Is the pumpkin flavour detectable in its pie form or is it a bit like how a lot of fruit juice and tomato sauces are mostly built upon an undetectable apple foundation?

I've despised the taste of pumpkin since early childhood — especially in a Sunday roast format with meat and potatoes — where trying to trick me with a blended mash was like taking on a sniffer dog at the airport. Oddly enough, I can get right behind it as a soup.

Old 11-25-2021, 10:28 PM   #10
buzzard
Minion of Satan

Shifting this Thanksgiving lark to immediately before Halloween would probably cut right down on food wastage, come to think of it.

Old 11-25-2021, 10:29 PM   #11
ilikeplanets
Braindead

There's a vague pumpkin flavor, buried under sugar, milk/cream, and cinnamon. Kind of like how banana cream pie doesn't taste like bananas, or key lime pie isn't very lime like. You should make it and surprise everyone, it takes zero skill and one hour.

Old 11-25-2021, 10:38 PM   #12
buzzard
Minion of Satan

Sounds like a plan for the next time I spot a pumpkin trying to obscure itself amongst groceries I do approve of.

Old 11-25-2021, 10:49 PM   #13
ilikeplanets
Braindead

Oh no, we all use canned pumpkin

Old 11-25-2021, 10:53 PM   #14
ilikeplanets
Braindead

I'll mail you a couple of cans, they're falling off the shelves here

Old 11-25-2021, 10:55 PM   #15
buzzard
Minion of Satan

This is why I completely believed that pre-cracked egg meme.

Old 11-25-2021, 11:52 PM   #16
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

I like pumpkin pie.

I did have a slice tonight, at the first Thanksgiving I went to. Along with sweet potatoes with marshmallows, stuffing, and mac and cheese. At my mom's place I had more stuffing (she makes the best fucking stuffing using Stovetop and adding shit to it) and some turkey and apple pie. I just had small portions of everything so I didn't really eat that much (in the context of Thanksgiving, anyway), but it was good.

Old 11-26-2021, 03:25 AM   #17
Ram27
dumb

i've never really pigged out on thanksgiving - and never really got the narrative/common story about it. like - there's so much food and variety, i just want little nibbles of everything to try. it's not like pizza where i'll eat 4 slices without a thought

also my family is weird and we've always had lasagna as our main centrepiece - we're all vegetarian. maybe that's part of it - tryptophan in the turkey or whatever

Old 11-26-2021, 09:53 AM   #18
yo soy el mejor
Just Hook it to My Veins!

yesterday, which was thursday, tommy and i made fish tacos with green cabbage slaw, pickled red onions, and macha salsa inside a flour tortilla. plus, spanish rice and cactus soup which was probably both our favorite component of the meal. homemade everything, including the torts. we were working in the kitchen from 2:30 until 4:30 and then again from 6 to 8:30pm, pero what else are we gonna do?

tommy also used jamaica flowers (hibiscus?) to make syrup to go with tequila for a drink we had in mexico city.

Old 11-26-2021, 10:06 AM   #19
yo soy el mejor

not a big fan of dry birds, marshmallows, pumpkin/spice/overbearing smell of cinnamon, gooey pies, cranberry sauce, and wet bread.

we visited tommy's friends last week who had an early t-giving dinner and luckily most of that stuff was missing but i had to kindly eat a piece of cannoli pie (asked tommy to split it with me) and a baby portion of cole slaw with too much mayo. woe to me.

at another home meal i had to eat meat loaf. ;_;

Last edited by yo soy el mejor : 11-27-2021 at 01:11 AM.

Old 11-26-2021, 06:11 PM   #20
Fonzie
Dute of Seven Y's

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard View Post
I mean Jesus Christ pumpkin is bad enough as it is, but to dessertify it instead of eating something actually dessert-ready (pavlova, tiramisu, brandy snaps) really shows the true face of America.

Old 11-26-2021, 08:12 PM   #21
yo soy el mejor

Thumbs up

i just ate tiramisu last week for the first time in years. truly a treat ;_;

sopapillas...another dessert better than pie

edit: googled pavlova and wow! that dish looks like an acquired taste for sure @_@

Old 11-26-2021, 08:30 PM   #22
ilikeplanets
Braindead

Yeah, pumpkin pie seems better than pavlova. Too much whipped cream. Honestly that cannoli pie sounds amazing. Maybe I'll make that next time!

Old 11-26-2021, 10:45 PM   #23
pinetree
Ownz

happy Thanksgiving to you too! sorry a day late lol #2muchturkey

Old 11-27-2021, 12:55 AM   #24
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

Thanksgiving is a colonizer fantasy and we both kind of hate most of the "traditional" American Thanksgiving foods. The last two days we had Viet food and basically ate like we typically do on weekdays, except I made a big breakfast Thursday. We have found better Vietnamese food here in Tacoma than in DC, which we didn't expect. And the fresh fish here is really good.

We have a fresh fish shop at the dock at the end of our street, so this weekend we're going to walk down there and buy whatever they have ... Probably King Salmon, and we'll have that for Sunday dinner.

Old 11-27-2021, 01:29 AM   #25
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

I love pumpkin pie, but only this one, and it’s a labour of love because there’s no canned pumpkin downunder so I have to roast the pumpkin and blend it first, and then this pie calls for pastry made from scratch. It takes hours so I only make it once a year

But I love it

https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/f...r-streusel-818

I love pumpkin. I add it cubed and lightly roasted to baby spinach, basil, crumbled feta and freshly toasted pine nuts, bit of evoo and balsamic, fresh ground black pepper and sea salt

Pumpkin and lentil casserole is good, with fresh green beans and cauli added toward the end

Pumpkin cookies and pumpkin cake surprisingly good. Pumpkin and lentil dip also surprisingly good

The key is getting a good pumpkin…you need a good quality buttercup or butternut, not one of those huge grey ones with tasteless watery flesh

Old 11-27-2021, 02:26 AM   #26
ilikeplanets
Braindead

I make pumpkin bread every fall, but I use canned pumpkin for that, too. You basically use it similar to how I use butternut squash, which is something I like but can also tire of in savory applications.

Old 11-27-2021, 02:30 AM   #27
ilikeplanets
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by yo soy el mejor View Post
yesterday, which was thursday, tommy and i made fish tacos with green cabbage slaw, pickled red onions, and macha salsa inside a flour tortilla. plus, spanish rice and cactus soup which was probably both our favorite component of the meal. homemade everything, including the torts. we were working in the kitchen from 2:30 until 4:30 and then again from 6 to 8:30pm, pero what else are we gonna do?

tommy also used jamaica flowers (hibiscus?) to make syrup to go with tequila for a drink we had in mexico city.
I honestly like all of this much better than Thanksgiving classics. A year ago I made chili salmon on Thanksgiving and it was better than poultry. I didn't wind up eating any meat this year, or any cranberry sauce because it gives me heartburn even though I like it. So I basically ate carbs. Time for a week of veggie soups!

Old 11-27-2021, 02:30 AM   #28
ilikeplanets
Braindead

Also, if you want to share your macha salsa recipe I will 100% make it. Yum!!

Old 11-27-2021, 03:41 AM   #29
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vixnix View Post
I love pumpkin pie, but only this one, and it’s a labour of love because there’s no canned pumpkin downunder so I have to roast the pumpkin and blend it first, and then this pie calls for pastry made from scratch. It takes hours so I only make it once a year

But I love it

https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/f...r-streusel-818

I love pumpkin. I add it cubed and lightly roasted to baby spinach, basil, crumbled feta and freshly toasted pine nuts, bit of evoo and balsamic, fresh ground black pepper and sea salt

Pumpkin and lentil casserole is good, with fresh green beans and cauli added toward the end

Pumpkin cookies and pumpkin cake surprisingly good. Pumpkin and lentil dip also surprisingly good

The key is getting a good pumpkin…you need a good quality buttercup or butternut, not one of those huge grey ones with tasteless watery flesh
Can you get canned sweet potatoes or canned yams? Same recipe

Old 11-27-2021, 03:54 AM   #30
ilikeplanets
Braindead

Or I can mail you some, it's always on the shelf here