Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > General Boards > General Chat Message Board
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08-05-2018, 05:33 PM   #2701
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyroes View Post
I dunno man. It's kind of a way to individualize yourself from all of the other squares. I suppose if you're living a fulfilling successful life stuff like that wouldn't matter though.
I had long, long hair, like down to my shoulders and covering my face (when totally dry, much longer when wet) when I was ~15-21. So I get it and I resisted keeping it short for a long time for reasons like you are listing, but ultimately I became more interested in learning what actually looks good on me instead of wearing my hair or clothes to make some kind of bold statement or whatever. The decision was also made easier by the serious uptick in attention from women I started receiving when I finally cut my hair. I realized that regardless of how much my hair meant to my identity or whatever, it just didn't look good. When I cut my hair and started caring for it correctly, I feel that is when I actually accepted and embraced my curls instead of acting out against them.

Regardless, there are some mistakes you might be making which are easily rectified and might help you with your curls.

1. Do not use anything like typical bottom shelf "for men" shampoo. Do not use any kind of combo shampoo/conditioner, and for the love of God, do not ever use a body bar or in any other way apply soap to your hair/scalp. Purchase some nicer hair products which are made for curly hair and will be gentle on your head and not dry it out. In a lot of stores they only seem to have this kind of stuff in the "women's" section, but it literally makes no difference. Shampoo less in general. I only "clean" my hair vs. rinse 1-3X a week depending on how much I have been sweating. Let your hair use its natural oils more and allow it to come to a more natural pH balance. You can also replace shampoo with baking soda and conditioner with apple cider vinegar, and yes these really work as well as commercial products and don't have weird chemicals in them.

2. Do not towel dry your hair. Let it air dry. If you insist on keeping it long, invest in a curly hair specific towel. You'll notice most regular towels are terry cloth, meaning the fabric is looped to absorb maximum moisture. Those loops are also great for ripping apart the curls that just came together when you got your hair wet, resulting in FRIZZ. A curly hair towel will be made of flat fabric which does less to pull apart and ruin your curls. Another alternative is a cotton t-shirt, where the the fabric is flat and smooth, so it's still better than a regular towel. If you NEED to use a towel of any kind, try tying it around your head for a few minutes to dry instead of pressing it onto your hair (you can easily tie the sleeves of a shirt around your head too). Do your part to fight frizz, because nothing will make your hair look worse.

3. Invest in after-shower hair product. Again, if frizz is an issue you experience, this is really key. While your hair is still fairly damp, work in a small amount, like the size of a dime. Do not over-style or keep running your fingers through it, just get it in there and stop touching your hair. This is the best brand I have found for my hair, and you can usually find a bottle for around 20 bucks and it will probably last you a year or longer. I have tried more expensive products but there doesn't seem to be a discernible difference in how well they work.

4. Understand that basically anything which touches your hair has the potential to break curls, which equals instant frizz. Don't run your fingers through your hair, and wear hats at your own discretion. There is no way a hat on curly hair is not going to totally fuck it up (unless it's really short), so you have to accept that. If you are into hats as an all-day investment, or if you are hiking or whatever, yeah go ahead and wear the hat. Otherwise... hats and well-cared-for curly hair are not so compatible. Even your pillowcase is probably breaking your curls. If you ever wake up and head out the door without getting your hair wet and putting product in, you might want a curly hair specific pillow case, which are made of satin or silk so there is less friction against your head.

Old 08-05-2018, 05:38 PM   #2702
redbreegull

Basically you gotta play to your strengths and learn how to express yourself while accepting the nature of your hair and learning to treat it properly.

Old 08-05-2018, 06:07 PM   #2703
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

Quote:
Originally Posted by vixnix View Post

I’ve been playing with the portrait mode on my iPhone and seeing how it captures objects and animals. It’s kind of cool how it captures things like this, objects inside a diorama. This was at the Deutsches Museum. They really take their dioramas seriously there.
this looks cool

Old 08-05-2018, 07:53 PM   #2704
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post
I had long, long hair, like down to my shoulders and covering my face (when totally dry, much longer when wet) when I was ~15-21. So I get it and I resisted keeping it short for a long time for reasons like you are listing, but ultimately I became more interested in learning what actually looks good on me instead of wearing my hair or clothes to make some kind of bold statement or whatever. The decision was also made easier by the serious uptick in attention from women I started receiving when I finally cut my hair. I realized that regardless of how much my hair meant to my identity or whatever, it just didn't look good. When I cut my hair and started caring for it correctly, I feel that is when I actually accepted and embraced my curls instead of acting out against them.

Regardless, there are some mistakes you might be making which are easily rectified and might help you with your curls.

1. Do not use anything like typical bottom shelf "for men" shampoo. Do not use any kind of combo shampoo/conditioner, and for the love of God, do not ever use a body bar or in any other way apply soap to your hair/scalp. Purchase some nicer hair products which are made for curly hair and will be gentle on your head and not dry it out. In a lot of stores they only seem to have this kind of stuff in the "women's" section, but it literally makes no difference. Shampoo less in general. I only "clean" my hair vs. rinse 1-3X a week depending on how much I have been sweating. Let your hair use its natural oils more and allow it to come to a more natural pH balance. You can also replace shampoo with baking soda and conditioner with apple cider vinegar, and yes these really work as well as commercial products and don't have weird chemicals in them.

2. Do not towel dry your hair. Let it air dry. If you insist on keeping it long, invest in a curly hair specific towel. You'll notice most regular towels are terry cloth, meaning the fabric is looped to absorb maximum moisture. Those loops are also great for ripping apart the curls that just came together when you got your hair wet, resulting in FRIZZ. A curly hair towel will be made of flat fabric which does less to pull apart and ruin your curls. Another alternative is a cotton t-shirt, where the the fabric is flat and smooth, so it's still better than a regular towel. If you NEED to use a towel of any kind, try tying it around your head for a few minutes to dry instead of pressing it onto your hair (you can easily tie the sleeves of a shirt around your head too). Do your part to fight frizz, because nothing will make your hair look worse.

3. Invest in after-shower hair product. Again, if frizz is an issue you experience, this is really key. While your hair is still fairly damp, work in a small amount, like the size of a dime. Do not over-style or keep running your fingers through it, just get it in there and stop touching your hair. This is the best brand I have found for my hair, and you can usually find a bottle for around 20 bucks and it will probably last you a year or longer. I have tried more expensive products but there doesn't seem to be a discernible difference in how well they work.

4. Understand that basically anything which touches your hair has the potential to break curls, which equals instant frizz. Don't run your fingers through your hair, and wear hats at your own discretion. There is no way a hat on curly hair is not going to totally fuck it up (unless it's really short), so you have to accept that. If you are into hats as an all-day investment, or if you are hiking or whatever, yeah go ahead and wear the hat. Otherwise... hats and well-cared-for curly hair are not so compatible. Even your pillowcase is probably breaking your curls. If you ever wake up and head out the door without getting your hair wet and putting product in, you might want a curly hair specific pillow case, which are made of satin or silk so there is less friction against your head.
Thanks for the advice man. I've been using this organic hemp oil shampoo. Smells really good and it doesn't dry my hair out that much. It's like 25 dollars a bottle, but it lasts me like over a year. Stuff like Herbal Essences and crap like that would turn my hair to straw, was terrible. Not sure why that shit is so popular.

My hair sucks cause the curls are kind of in between. So it makes it a little harder to work with when long. I used to try and get it to go straighter back in the day, but I've kinda given up on that and more or less just embrace the insanity of it.

Old 08-05-2018, 09:18 PM   #2705
LaBelle
Socialphobic

Last edited by LaBelle : 08-07-2018 at 04:56 PM.

Old 08-05-2018, 09:33 PM   #2706
redbreegull

queen of the night

Old 08-05-2018, 09:56 PM   #2707
LaBelle
Socialphobic

lol.
It's prob the best selfie I ever took. At least it's my fave.

Old 08-05-2018, 11:27 PM   #2708
FoolofaTook

hi labelle

Old 08-06-2018, 06:39 AM   #2709
SpiritDesire
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco King View Post
As a kid, I saw a documentary that said that Jesus most likely had short hair.
Dude lived in the fucking desert. I definitely think he had short hair.

Old 08-06-2018, 07:03 AM   #2710
FoolofaTook

Nah dude. The Son of God was a Galilean. That ain't no desert, fool.

Old 08-06-2018, 07:06 AM   #2711
FoolofaTook

"desert"

Old 08-06-2018, 07:08 AM   #2712
Cool As Ice Cream

"dessert"

Old 08-06-2018, 07:10 AM   #2713
FoolofaTook

i see someone caught on quick

Old 08-06-2018, 07:11 AM   #2714
FoolofaTook

"mongoose"

Old 08-06-2018, 07:53 AM   #2715
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBelle View Post
you are er, what was it again

Old 08-06-2018, 07:53 AM   #2716
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

come on whatyamacallit

Old 08-06-2018, 07:54 AM   #2717
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

there's like something and then something on the other hand come oooon

Old 08-06-2018, 07:54 AM   #2718
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

sometimes I can't seem to find specific words

Old 08-06-2018, 07:55 AM   #2719
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

like these nuances that I feel like expressing seem to go lost when I can't translate what's in my head

Old 08-06-2018, 07:55 AM   #2720
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

pretty! that's it! you're pretty.

Old 08-06-2018, 07:55 AM   #2721
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

too bad about all the mysogyny though.

Old 08-06-2018, 07:57 AM   #2722
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

you really seem to hate women with all your heart.

Old 08-06-2018, 07:58 AM   #2723
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

but I forgive you.

Old 08-06-2018, 07:58 AM   #2724
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

say a couple of hail Mary's and you're fine

Old 08-06-2018, 08:19 AM   #2725
FoolofaTook

Telegrass is awesome. I met my dealer over it. He just posted this:

Old 08-06-2018, 08:53 AM   #2726
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

Old 08-06-2018, 12:33 PM   #2727
LaBelle
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashingjj View Post
you really seem to hate women with all your heart.
Yea I do!
It's why I sleep with one, keep your enemies close and all that.

Old 08-06-2018, 03:37 PM   #2728
redbreegull

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiritDesire View Post
Dude lived in the fucking desert. I definitely think he had short hair.
Northern Israel is not a desert and it gets cold in the winter

Old 08-06-2018, 03:49 PM   #2729
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBelle View Post
Yea I do!
It's why I sleep with one, keep your enemies close and all that.
hell yes sister. gather intel.

Old 08-06-2018, 09:05 PM   #2730
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

me on my way last night to see Against Me!