fuzzyroes
Banned

This songs punk as fuck

Old 10-18-2016, 10:10 PM   #32
LaBelle
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyroes View Post
That was a great tour. I was right up on the floor too. I kinda wonder if BJA's gonna be able to put on the same sort of all out show now that he's sober.
It really was. The concert at my home town was incredible, they played nearly 4 hours, all of my favorite songs got played that night (including 2000 light years away and going to pasalacqua), I was super close to the stage to the point the pyro actually hurt my face. It was an incredible experience.

Old 10-18-2016, 11:37 PM   #33
Elphenor
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run To Me View Post
FFS

Someday you'll quit relentlessly categorizing everyone you meet by their fucking music tastes and b so so so embarassed at who you were
Lol not likely

Old 10-18-2016, 11:40 PM   #34
Elphenor
Braindead

Categorizing people by their tastes in art is as good as anyway else

You expect me judge them on their personality or something r u crazy

Old 10-19-2016, 12:35 AM   #35
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!

i walk this lonely street
on the boulevard of broken dreams
where the city sleeps
and im the only one
and i walk alone

Old 10-19-2016, 01:00 AM   #36
Elphenor
Braindead

I may be judgemental past what is wise

But what does that have to do with NOFX and Green Day being really low IQ pop acts with a punk fashion to appeal to teenagers

Old 10-19-2016, 01:01 AM   #37
Elphenor
Braindead

Old 10-19-2016, 10:13 AM   #38
ButtHash
Demi-God

You are a buttmunch who impedes my browsing experience.
You remind me of the smug little shit I was. Seriously no one cares about your *distinguished* music tastes it is the most boring subject ever.

Old 10-19-2016, 11:31 AM   #39
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elphenor View Post

But what does that have to do with NOFX and Green Day being really low IQ pop acts with a punk fashion to appeal to teenagers
... sighhhhhhh ...

This is why I can't read most rock and roll journalism. You've been suckered into the notion that music (or "art," as u wish) is best received/evaluated not with reference to how it's made, how it sounds, how it feels, what it does to your eardrums, or your brain chemicals, but with who you think it's aimed at or who you think will be listening to it

Your "high school punk" vs "college punk" dichotomy is a case in point. It is fucking meaningless, musically speaking, and serves only to bolster a rather repulsive air of rank snobbery on your part. Instead, how about describing the guitar tones, the tempos, the various rock n roll feelings provoked? This might actually b (gasp) interesting for us to read, on this music forum

But whatever, we've had this conversation before and it's obviously not getting thru, so fuck it, carry on. Maybe slunken will come back and recommend u some shit your friends have never heard of and u can hold it over some poor girl's head if she dares to try and date u and doesn't wanna b force fed your lonely elitism

Old 10-19-2016, 11:48 AM   #40
crabshack
Apocalyptic Poster

Green Day is the most important punk band of the past 20 years.

Old 10-19-2016, 03:21 PM   #41
JESUSNEEDSAHIT
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
... sighhhhhhh ...

This is why I can't read most rock and roll journalism. You've been suckered into the notion that music (or "art," as u wish) is best received/evaluated not with reference to how it's made, how it sounds, how it feels, what it does to your eardrums, or your brain chemicals, but with who you think it's aimed at or who you think will be listening to it

Your "high school punk" vs "college punk" dichotomy is a case in point. It is fucking meaningless, musically speaking, and serves only to bolster a rather repulsive air of rank snobbery on your part. Instead, how about describing the guitar tones, the tempos, the various rock n roll feelings provoked? This might actually b (gasp) interesting for us to read, on this music forum

But whatever, we've had this conversation before and it's obviously not getting thru, so fuck it, carry on. Maybe slunken will come back and recommend u some shit your friends have never heard of and u can hold it over some poor girl's head if she dares to try and date u and doesn't wanna b force fed your lonely elitism
being in yourt early 20s and in school and surrounded by like minded people promotes people to think in terms like this though. when it is easy for you to find other people who think just like you and like all the same things and that is your ingroup, its easy to become very judgemental and start to believe things like preference in music is meaningful in any way other than being able to share the experience with someone else.

if he grows up to be in the music industry his surroundings won't change and he'll never figure it out, if he lives a normal existance like most of us he will figure it out eventually

Old 10-19-2016, 08:19 PM   #42
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBelle View Post
It really was. The concert at my home town was incredible, they played nearly 4 hours, all of my favorite songs got played that night (including 2000 light years away and going to pasalacqua), I was super close to the stage to the point the pyro actually hurt my face. It was an incredible experience.
No way!? Fuck, I'd kill to see them at a show like that. I've seen em live 5 times and they've never played either of those songs. I was just stoked in 2009 that they played Geek Stink Breath and She, the rest of the set-list while great and entertaining as hell was somewhat predictable.

I think people that shit on Green Day really just need to have a few beers and grab some floor tickets and see em live. Definitely consistently the best live-act I've seen.

Every show I've seen the guys are always just drinking beers though. I can't imagine how their act will be if Billie's sober or if he's gonna force the other guys to be too.

Old 10-19-2016, 08:24 PM   #43
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elphenor View Post

I was once a young man like you too Elph. I remember when I was 18 and I was really pissed off that Green Day came out and were all wearing eye-liner. I was so pissed off that I was even all down on American Idiot, can't believing that they'd sell out their image like that. Of course as I grew older the whole thing became a none story.

I remember dating chicks and being all pissed off that they listened to rap and stuff or always ragging on their tastes of music. I cringe to think about it now as someones taste of music is pretty much the last thing I care about. With that said it is always nice to have some camaraderie with people who share similar tastes, but it's really not something that's all that important.

Old 10-19-2016, 08:29 PM   #44
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabshack View Post
To be fair, they haven't really been doing the "punk" thing for a long while. Nimrod may have been the last taste of it.

Old 10-19-2016, 08:43 PM   #45
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!

I saw Green Day in 2004 and they were GREAT, seriously. The energy was crazy. I saw em again the next year after American Idiot had come out and they seemed tired and out of it

Old 10-19-2016, 09:45 PM   #46
crabshack
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
You know those folks who always piss and moan about their favorite bands “selling out”? They’re usually the same safety-pinned crusaders who balk at paying $10 for a house show because, well, it’s real easy to exist outside capitalism when mom’s the one cutting monthly rent checks. The next time you encounter one of these lovely people, offer them a penny for their thoughts on Green Day.

You’ll likely be met with a spittle-laced tirade against posers and mall punk and bullshit Broadway musicals, because no band wears the dreaded “sell out” tag more brazenly than Green Day. This is the band that got 86’d from Berkeley’s 924 Gilman for signing onto a major and then wrote a fucking song about it. But that was just the warm-up pitch. Among the thousands of other ways Green Day have supposedly betrayed their fans, there’s that commercial they filmed for Rhapsody, their ill-fated partnership with iHeartRadio, and that one song that’s played at every graduation and wedding reception since 1997.

It would be one thing if Green Day had quietly renounced their punk credibility back when they put out 1994’s Dookie and sailed off into a sunset of cocaine and cashmere bathrobes. But nearly every artistic decision Billie Joe Armstrong, Mike Dirnt, and Tré Cool have made in the subsequent two decades seems to openly mock the very idea of punk credibility. They’ve experimented with folk rock and written straight-faced songs about going to church on Sunday. They’ve lined their eyes with mascara and booked sold-out tours in Asia and written not one but two punk-rock operas, both of which scoff at the notion that punk must be short, fast, and to the point.

Green Day have been trolling punk rock for 20 years and counting now, but they’re not just doing it to stick it to the Gilman crowd that spurned them back in the day. Revenge is a small-minded concept, and Armstrong and co. only know how to think big. Rather than settle for being just another legacy act that pops up at Riot Fest occasionally, they’ve reliably shape-shifted every time their sound — or, just as importantly, their image — runs the risk of turning stale.

Think about it: Literally every single Green Day record can be seen as a reaction against the one immediately preceding it. Instead of riding Dookie’s snotty Buzzcocks-inspired punk for a couple more albums (and a couple more paychecks), they released the louder and less commercially viable Insomniac. Then they tried out a bit of cross-genre experimentation on Nimrod before embracing domestic bliss and the trappings of dad rock on their most “grown-up” album to date.

Released in late 2000, Warning serves as the obvious line of demarcation between the two major chapters in the book of Green Day. It’s a much better record than you probably remember, because the narrative surrounding it at the time was dog shit. Fat Mike of NOFX allegedly called it “their worst album,” and other listeners tended to agree: This version of Green Day was slower, older, kind of boring. So how did the band respond? They put themselves out to pasture for four years, during which time they teased out their hair, squeezed into slim-fit suits, and set to work completing a “sell out” job that put even Dookie’s major-label reinvention to shame.

Pretty much everything about 2004’s American Idiot screams “branding,” from the bleeding hand grenade logo (looks great on t-shirts!) to the “punk-rock opera” concept (how novel!) to the timely politicization of a band that had once been too apathetic even to masturbate. Green Day’s commitment to rebranding themselves after the commercial failure of Warning was almost breathtaking in its totality. This is not how a punk band with any shred of integrity should handle its business. Oh, but there’s just a tiny complication with that supposed truth: American Idiot turned out to be the most important punk album of the 2000s.

Really! It did! I doubted this myself until about two years ago when I participated in a roundtable discussion for Consequence of Sound in honor of the album’s 10th anniversary. In speaking with the other critics at that table (most of whom were several years younger than me), I discovered that American Idiot — the same album I’d always considered cheesy in its presentation and ham-fisted in its takedown of Bush-era politics — had been the gateway drug that introduced an entire generation to punk as a concept and cultural alternative.

Can we appreciate, for a second, how fucking crazy that is? Armstrong was 32 years old when American Idiot hit shelves — long past the expiration date for punks who weren’t busy transforming into slightly creepy scene lifers like Fat Mike. But there he was, prancing around a giant warehouse and looking as spry as the kid who was a basket case back in ‘94.

Armstrong had pulled off some kind of punk-rock Benjamin Button trick, shifting from the contemplative middle-aged dad back to the kid who screams “Fuck the system!” and just fuckin’ gets it, natch. Who cares if it was calculated? It worked. The songs were good (if you could look past some of the cheese) and, more importantly, Green Day could once again lay claim to being “The Only Band That Matters” — the band that everybody loves to love or loves to hate, but the band that everybody has an opinion about.

From there, Green Day made the only move they could: They upped the ante, doubling down on the whole ridiculous rock opera concept with 2009’s 21st Century Breakdown, an album even more overblown than its predecessor. This was a tough pill for longtime fans of the band to swallow, but they had already made clear that they were willing to sacrifice loyalty if it meant a shot at being the biggest band in the world. Green Day’s second rock opera found them drifting even further afield from their pop-punk roots, finding the middle ground between Strummer and Springsteen and then building a nuclear power plant on it.

I’m not sure if you’ve listened to 21st Century Breakdown lately, but it kind of rules. The human mind sometimes has a hard time letting things go, but if you divorce this album from any preconception of what Green Day was or is supposed to sound like, you’re left with a lot of sweet candy to chew on. There’s the big-time guitar melody that anchors the title track — a clear callback to the ‘70s power-punk of The Boys and The Dictators — playing off the swaggering garage rock of “Last of the American Girls”. And then there’s the Cheap Trick-esque ballad “21 Guns”, the song that probably best captures latter-day Green Day’s most crucial talent: couching vaguely relatable political and romantic sentiments within riffs loud enough to blow your ears off.

The real problem with 21st Century Breakdown is that it effectively marked a point of no return for the band. They couldn’t very well write another rock opera after that, but they’d also stepped so far out on their particular limb of the punk-rock tree that going back was unthinkable. And so in 2012, we got ¡Uno!, ¡Dos!, and ¡Tré!, the very up-and-down album trilogy that found Green Day not only reaching, but over-reaching for perhaps the first time in their career.

In hindsight, it was a dumb move to release three merely OK albums so close to one another when they could have simply picked the 12 best songs from each and compiled an album that really would have caught critics’ attention. There’s an excellent Green Day record hiding inside this trilogy, but the temptation of an audacious marketing tactic means that we’ll never hear that album as we might have: with fresh ears and fresh minds. I still find myself defending ¡Tré! especially to anybody that will listen, because songs like “X-Kid” and “8th Avenue Serenade” stand tall on their own. But they’re drowned out by the popular narrative surrounding the trilogy, which is that it’s garbage and a fine example of Green Day’s hubris finally catching up to them.

You know what, though? Fuck that narrative. Lost in all the talk about Green Day selling out and sucking ass (and believe me, you hear a lot of this if you bring up the band in punk circles) is the fact that they’re one of the only mainstream punk bands that has continued taking genuine risks throughout their career. Sure, some of those risks paid off in heavy exposure and ungodly amounts of money, but it seems a bit silly to blame a band for its successes and then celebrate its failures. The schadenfreude doesn’t feel earned, especially when bands like NOFX and Alkaline Trio get a pass for shoveling the same shit year after year with diminishing returns.

With the release of “Bang Bang” tomorrow, Green Day once again have a chance to rewrite their narrative. The mere fact that we can depend on it being different from anything that’s come before shouldn’t be taken for granted. For a genre that takes pride in fucking shit up, punk can be alarmingly conservative when it comes to inching away from those treasured three chords. Green Day aren’t afraid to blow it all up and start again, and they don’t pay attention when those young, dumb trust-fund punks cry foul. It might not be the stuff of revolution, but it’s better than anything else on the radio.
Great review

Old 10-26-2016, 01:35 AM   #47
october
Pledge

I love this album. Best collection of music they've put out since Wolves. The first 5 or so tracks kick a lot of ass and I think there's only like 1 or two so-so tunes on the record. Melvin seems to know how to sing now, that cool. Smelly has a drum solo, pretty rad. Hefe' does his usual trumpet and vox back ups, a few kick ass leads as well. Fatty sings like shit but with more emotion than anything he's done for awhile. Oh sobriety.

Old 10-26-2016, 01:36 AM   #48
october
Pledge

Happy Fathers day is way too short but I love it the way it is anyways forever for real.

When they mean it .. tasteful as eff.

Old 10-26-2016, 11:33 AM   #49
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Location: I’ve been trying to move to the Nordic countries for 5 years but the cost is astronomical to become an expatriate

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBelle View Post
Billie sang that about 2 meters from me in 2010.
I saw Green Day on the American Idiot tour back in '05. We were front row and we made it halfway through the set until my girlfriend was nearly crushed to death during Brain Stew. Well, not really. It was just really hot and way too tightly packed for humans. We watched the rest of the show from the nosebleeds.

Really entertaining show. Got some good pictures while we were up front. 9/10 would see again.

Old 10-26-2016, 11:37 AM   #50
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Location: I’ve been trying to move to the Nordic countries for 5 years but the cost is astronomical to become an expatriate

Quote:
With that said it is always nice to have some camaraderie with people who share similar tastes, but it's really not something that's all that important.
On point

Old 10-26-2016, 12:20 PM   #51
Elphenor
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by JESUSNEEDSAHIT View Post
its easy to become very judgemental and start to believe things like preference in music is meaningful in any way other than being able to share the experience with someone else.
No but some people like to talk about music preferences, and yes pass judgement just like with any other art

Old 10-26-2016, 12:24 PM   #52
Elphenor
Braindead

Quote:
Great review
pretty nonesense review tbh

Old 10-26-2016, 12:34 PM   #53
Elphenor
Braindead

Quote:

it's a comment about the maturity of the music lyrically and creatively and in the case of Green Day+NOFX it never made it out of adolescence

edit: spelling mistake

Last edited by Elphenor : 10-26-2016 at 01:03 PM.

Old 10-26-2016, 12:39 PM   #54
Elphenor
Braindead

Quote:
only in that they're the only really popular one at this point still being described with that word

and that's only if you really want to even consider Green Day a punk band but I can't even get into that

don't even dislike Green Day for what it's worth

Last edited by Elphenor : 10-26-2016 at 12:44 PM.

Old 10-26-2016, 01:02 PM   #55
Elphenor
Braindead

Quote:
I was once a young man like you too Elph. I remember when I was 18 and I was really pissed off that Green Day came out and were all wearing eye-liner. I was so pissed off that I was even all down on American Idiot, can't believing that they'd sell out their image like that. Of course as I grew older the whole thing became a none story.

only if you'd realize Dookie was their sell out album

Old 10-26-2016, 01:07 PM   #56
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

As soon as anyone brings "sell-out" to a conversation about popular rock bands, I instantly tune out.

Old 10-26-2016, 01:21 PM   #57
Elphenor
Braindead

It's something that doesn't matter if the music is still something you like but fuzzy is under the illusion that Dookie wasn't a major label heavily produced grammy winning alternative album or something

in other words at some point there was a guy in a suit changing their music to make it more popular

Old 10-26-2016, 01:23 PM   #58
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Eh, Dookie wasn't much of a sell-out. It was the natural progression from Kerplunk, just with better production. They retained their identity and made it big. Nothing wrong with that.

Old 10-26-2016, 01:24 PM   #59
Elphenor
Braindead

and he is the same kind of guy who will talk shit on Taylor Swift and other pop acts

Old 10-26-2016, 01:25 PM   #60
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Also, Green Day are the most exhausting band to have this argument about. I mean, they've "sold out" like four times at this point, who even cares anymore? Like the music or leave it, everything else is irrelevant.