Netphoria Message Board


Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Smashing Pumpkins Boards > Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Photo Album Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2013, 12:27 PM   #1
CrabbMan
Amish Hoe Fighter
 
CrabbMan's Avatar
 
Location: Humboldt, CA, USA
Posts: 1,324
Default Paz is the touring bassist for the Pixies

From the Pixies newsletter:

Quote:
Hi,

Pixies’ 2013 - 2014 global tour schedule continues to escalate with a series of major South American and European festival performances now confirmed for next Spring and Summer. The band - Black Francis/vocals, guitar, Joey Santiago/guitar, backing vocals, and David Lovering/drums, backing vocals - will kick off the festival season in late March in South America with headline appearances at Lollapalooza Chile, Lollapalooza Argentina, and Lollapalooza Brazil, as well as Colombia’s Festival Estereo Picnic. Pixies will then head to Europe for a series of major festivals that begin May 30 when they headline the Primavera Sound festival in Barcelona, Spain. Tickets for all of these festivals are on sale now at www.pixiesmusic.com/new

Joining the Pixies as touring bassist for the North American, South American and European summer concerts will be Paz Lenchantin (A Perfect Circle, ZWAN, The Entrance Band). “We are really looking forward to playing with her on these dates,” said Lovering. “Working with different bass players is very new for the band, but we’re having a great time doing it.”

Pixies also unveil a brand new music video today for EP-1’s track “Another Toe In the Ocean.” Completely different from the band’s recent music videos, “ATITO” is a 2-D animated clip that was written, directed and animated by Liviu Boar of the Romania-based ReeAnimation. Check out the video here :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XH-vzQwcf4c

Pixies inaugurate the New Year with a 33-city headline tour of North America, starting January 15 in Toronto, Canada. With many more dates to be announced, see the Pixies’ confirmed tour schedule for 2014 so far on www.pixiesmusic.com/new.

La la love you

PIXIES

 
CrabbMan is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 12:38 PM   #2
T&T
Socialphobic
 
T&T's Avatar
 
Location: montreal
Posts: 10,041
Default

some bands can't help but want a female figure in the band.
it's unfortunate that the bands identity depends on such a thing and not the people in the band.
I actually feel bad for these girls.

 
T&T is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 12:53 PM   #3
MusicMan4
 
Posts: n/a
Default

It's because women have different vocal qualities you dingus

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 02:26 PM   #4
T&T
Socialphobic
 
T&T's Avatar
 
Location: montreal
Posts: 10,041
Default

D'arcy
MADM
Ginger
Lisa
all hired for their vocal qualities!

you have so much to teach us about the Smashing Pumpkins!

 
T&T is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 02:53 PM   #5
MusicMan4
 
Posts: n/a
Default

One of those isn't a bassist, she just happens to be a she so that fucks your point right out

Darcy, Melissa, Paz, Ginger, and Nicole are all back up vocalists as well as bassists
He hires women because he wants that quality
Hiring a second Asian guitarist was creepy though

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 03:33 PM   #6
T&T
Socialphobic
 
T&T's Avatar
 
Location: montreal
Posts: 10,041
Default

you're right her name is nicole, not lisa. lisa was the keyboardist right?


Isn't it weird how twice today you've tried to change the gender issue into one about asian class oppression?

 
T&T is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 04:07 PM   #7
Trotskilicious
Banned
 
Trotskilicious's Avatar
 
Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.
Posts: 39,643
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by T&T View Post
D'arcy
MADM
Ginger
Lisa
all hired for their vocal qualities!

you have so much to teach us about the Smashing Pumpkins!
well he was talking about the pixies, and they do require female vocals

 
Trotskilicious is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 06:16 PM   #8
T&T
Socialphobic
 
T&T's Avatar
 
Location: montreal
Posts: 10,041
Default

why do you assume she'll be singing backup vocals. the article clearly omits it.
Quote:
Black Francis/vocals, guitar, Joey Santiago/guitar, backing vocals, and David Lovering/drums, backing vocals..... Joining as touring bassist will be Paz Lenchantin...

 
T&T is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 07:16 PM   #9
slunken
Virgo
 
slunken's Avatar
 
Posts: 39,256
Default

why assume a woman would be relegated to "back-up" status fight the power

 
slunken is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 08:31 PM   #10
T&T
Socialphobic
 
T&T's Avatar
 
Location: montreal
Posts: 10,041
Default

the only pixies I know is the fight club song.
are they really getting her to sing lead vocals?

 
T&T is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 08:52 PM   #11
fuzzyroes
Immortal
 
fuzzyroes's Avatar
 
Posts: 20,836
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by T&T View Post
the only pixies I know is the fight club song.
are they really getting her to sing lead vocals?
You like the Smashing Pumpkins but you don't even know anything by the Pixies? LMAO

Let's put it this way: The pixies HAVE TO HAVE a female back-up singer in the band if they're going to continue to play much of their back catalogue... The back-ups are major components in many, many songs.

Where as Billy Corgan just constantly hires Female bass players for the sheer image aspect of the band. It's the same reason why Jeffs the 3rd Asian guitarist that he's played with.

 
fuzzyroes is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 09:19 PM   #12
pavementtune
**************
 
pavementtune's Avatar
 
Location: I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
Posts: 8,478
Default

Jezuz Christ.
Ever noticed female back-up vocals on SP tracks?
And this whole "he only got Jeff because he looks Asian" is getting lame. It wasn't very original in the first place.

 
pavementtune is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 09:25 PM   #13
fuzzyroes
Immortal
 
fuzzyroes's Avatar
 
Posts: 20,836
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavementtune View Post
Jezuz Christ.
Ever noticed female back-up vocals on SP tracks?
.
They're not very predominant to be honest. Obviously theres a few obvious examples but they're songs Corgan and his henchman don't even play live anymore so it's not really a problem.

But comeon, with the Pixies the female vocals are a MAJOR factor... For the Pumpkins- they're not.

As for the Asian guitarist thing- You really think it's just an honest coincidence? This is Billy Corgan we're talking about for heavens sake.

 
fuzzyroes is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 09:27 PM   #14
fuzzyroes
Immortal
 
fuzzyroes's Avatar
 
Posts: 20,836
Default

Oh, and I'm not talking about any of the shitty teargarden Nicole songs or whatever.

 
fuzzyroes is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 09:47 PM   #15
pavementtune
**************
 
pavementtune's Avatar
 
Location: I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
Posts: 8,478
Default

I should have been clearer - of course female vocals are more important in Pixies than in SP. But it's a nice option to have. So if I was looking for a new SP bassist, I'd take a female whose voice isn't shit. No matter what I decide to do at live shows - at least I have the option. And Billy did so with Nicole, a bit too much for my taste. I mean she sang If there is a god... Right now I can't think of any song on the last tour where she didn't sing.

Anyway, I'm curious how long Paz will make it at their touring bassist. The last Kim was gone after what - 3 months? 2?

 
pavementtune is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 10:09 PM   #16
T&T
Socialphobic
 
T&T's Avatar
 
Location: montreal
Posts: 10,041
Default

they should have gotten another Kim.

 
T&T is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 10:29 PM   #17
pavementtune
**************
 
pavementtune's Avatar
 
Location: I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
Posts: 8,478
Default

NME had a poll where you could vote for the next Pixies bassist, all named Kim. I think Kim Jong-un won.

 
pavementtune is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 10:50 PM   #18
Funbags
Apocalyptic Poster
 
Funbags's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,565
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by T&T View Post
they should have gotten another Kim.
Kim Gordon?

 
Funbags is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 12:34 AM   #19
Bread Regal
Banned
 
Posts: 5,711
Default

referring to kim deal as a back up singer is...

well im just going to assume you've never listened to the pixies.

 
Bread Regal is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 01:19 AM   #20
T&T
Socialphobic
 
T&T's Avatar
 
Location: montreal
Posts: 10,041
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bread Regal View Post
referring to kim deal as a back up singer is...

well im just going to assume you've never listened to the pixies.
then as someone who IS a pixie fan, would you say that paz is not going to be a backup singer?

 
T&T is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 01:20 AM   #21
MusicMan4
 
Posts: n/a
Default

She only wrote gigantic I thought

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 01:25 AM   #22
juliana
Apocalyptic Poster
 
juliana's Avatar
 
Location: Crestfallen News Dumpster
Posts: 3,057
Default

Paz is a fantastic bassist. I really want to play like her one day (more entrance band style though cause I don't use a pick )

Billy has said that he has wanted to replicate d'arcy's sound and playing style in the band. He said he doesn't think men and women play the same. He also has stated he doesn't want to be in a band of dudes.

I don't really count Melissa in this though. I think he put her in the band because she was/is an SP fan and a friend, made sense on paper. I don't think it was about her playing like d'arcy.

I do think ginger was supposed to play just like d'arcy though.

Although jeff is half asian, I think it is a coincidence that there is another asian dude in the band.
Jeff is very different than james, his playing style is more like corgans. I think jeff is also a better guitar player than billy and that's why Billy wanted him.


However, I think it is more fun to think of billy choosing them because they are close enough to his old bandmates. "Half korean? You'll do" lol!

 
juliana is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 02:20 AM   #23
pavementtune
**************
 
pavementtune's Avatar
 
Location: I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
Posts: 8,478
Default

Quote:
However, I think it is more fun to think of billy choosing them because they are close enough to his old bandmates."Half korean? You'll do" lol!
Well yea, but... he fucked up the casting on that day - he doesn't look like JC at all!
(I don't want to start on the drumming, everyone is aware of that.)




 
pavementtune is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 02:25 AM   #24
pavementtune
**************
 
pavementtune's Avatar
 
Location: I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
Posts: 8,478
Default

As for Pixies - Kim Shattuck wasn't bad as touring bassist in my book. We'll see how Paz does.

 
pavementtune is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 11:30 AM   #25
juliana
Apocalyptic Poster
 
juliana's Avatar
 
Location: Crestfallen News Dumpster
Posts: 3,057
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavementtune View Post
Well yea, but... he fucked up the casting on that day - he doesn't look like JC at all!
(I don't want to start on the drumming, everyone is aware of that.)



Lol, Mike should have had a fake muscle suit hahhaha!

 
juliana is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 11:36 AM   #26
juliana
Apocalyptic Poster
 
juliana's Avatar
 
Location: Crestfallen News Dumpster
Posts: 3,057
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavementtune View Post
As for Pixies - Kim Shattuck wasn't bad as touring bassist in my book. We'll see how Paz does.
She should do well. She is so kick ass. However, she could get kicked out if they don't like drugs and orgies.

I really want to see her in the entrance band, live and up close! That sounds creepy but I want to study her playing.

 
juliana is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 11:45 AM   #27
Trotskilicious
Banned
 
Trotskilicious's Avatar
 
Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.
Posts: 39,643
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by T&T View Post
the only pixies I know is the fight club song.
are they really getting her to sing lead vocals?
get the fuck out of here

 
Trotskilicious is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 11:48 AM   #28
Trotskilicious
Banned
 
Trotskilicious's Avatar
 
Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.
Posts: 39,643
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bread Regal View Post
referring to kim deal as a back up singer is...

well im just going to assume you've never listened to the pixies.
yeah the proper term should be co-vocals

OH NO A DOUBLE POST T&T "FIGHT CLUB SONG" MIGHT THINK I'M STUPID

 
Trotskilicious is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 12:23 PM   #29
slunken
Virgo
 
slunken's Avatar
 
Posts: 39,256
Default

I can't tell fuzzroes and pavementtune apart.

 
slunken is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 12:48 PM   #30
Trotskilicious
Banned
 
Trotskilicious's Avatar
 
Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.
Posts: 39,643
Default

pavementune is a german woman that is slightly mental

fuzzyroses is the canadian equivalent of a "bro" or a "lad" i don't know what that is in Canadia, he likes grunge rock and a local band he was in was better than wire. he also defended monte and then jumped on the bandwagon being mean to him, and he generally still tries to defend people like banana because of political correctness gone MAD

ultimate defense of monte: "You guys are jealous that he's hanging out with Bill."

 
Trotskilicious is offline
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Google


Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
If Billy Corgan... Gossamer Pumpkins Archive 41 04-09-2012 04:45 AM
Tracklisting for new Stone Temple Pilots album revealed WeilandFan Music Board Archive 33 03-23-2010 10:26 PM
SP ANNOUNCES SEARCH FOR NEW BASSIST AND KEYBOARDIST pointfive Pumpkins Archive 169 03-17-2010 09:17 AM
pixies announce doolittle tour Cool As Ice Cream Music Board Archive 42 10-13-2009 04:56 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:38 PM.




Smashing Pumpkins, Alternative Music
& General Discussion Message Board and Forums
www.netphoria.org - Copyright © 1998-2019