Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Smashing Pumpkins Boards > Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Photo Album Mark Forums Read

Old 08-25-2019, 01:40 AM   #31
bright_doom
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram27 View Post
IIRC $40, which was a fucking steal. I guess it was discounted cause it was used, but being used on the mighty starship is a bonus imo

Love it. Have you thought about getting the certificate framed?

Old 08-25-2019, 02:11 AM   #32
he/she/it
Demi-God

Quote:
there's no non shitty, slightly joking way to add this point, but, meanwhile, Jimmy's aux hihat mount from the entire SD and MCIS tour [and possibly beyond, too sad to research rn] is literally mounted on my kit right now

i grin every time i play the verses of hummer or geek
Congrats. That's pretty cool!

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilem View Post
why is guitar wiring always drawn like this, and never as an actual schematic? i work as an engineer and it always bugs me.
I guess it's so that non-engineers / people who can't read schematics can follow them. A lot of laypersons handle that stuff in their and other peoples' guitars.

Regarding the Strat that Billy busted at Reading Festival and threw into the crowd, Billy smashing it up might be audible in the show's recording of I Am One:

https://archive.org/details/tsp1992-...08-29d1t08.shn

After 4:20, there are a bunch of intermittent thock sounds that I guess could be the guitar getting smashed.

Old 08-25-2019, 02:27 AM   #33
Shallowed
Braindead

Location: A compostable condom made from 100% recycled materials
Cool

lol 4:20

Old 08-25-2019, 04:06 PM   #34
Ram27
Minion of Satan

Location: Iha: All right! I can't fucking hear you! (laughs) I'm just kidding. Stop your enthusiasm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bright_doom View Post
Love it. Have you thought about getting the certificate framed?
Oh yes! It's in a frame right now, that's an old piccy

Old 08-25-2019, 04:45 PM   #35
he/she/it
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatngreet View Post
Thinking about this more, there was a Fiesta Red orange color in the 57 lineup. So that orange strat at Reading probably was a 3rd 57 reissue, just with the 12/31/91 pickguard. Which makes me wonder if the 70s silver strat that was later seen in the Munich 94 video (stoppen zie throwen zie cuppenz), and later appeared all marked up with red marker and a Rush sticker in the Rocket video, was actually the body of the 12/31/91 silver strat with a new pickguard and a period correct 70s headstock neck back on it.

That silver strat also had a sticker of Obi Wan Kenobi from Star Wars, like this one: https://www.etsy.com/listing/1856854...yABEgKdsvD_BwE

So, a Bat Strat, a Star strat, a Mom strat, and an Obi-Wan/Rush strat.
The SPFC page for the 6/9 guitar suggests the neck or the guitar in the Rocket video might be from the silver 6/9 guitar:

"Note: The 70's neck from the Blonde/Silver version of this guitar may have been used for the guitar Billy plays in the "Rocket" video (more on that guitar to come)."

http://www.spfc.org/band/equipment.h...uipment_id=420

Here's a fiesta red '57 RI sale that's from 1988, which is the same year as Billy's star-decalded one (and which might be the year of all of his '57s):

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1988-FENDER...E/123886077512

Old 08-26-2019, 09:46 AM   #36
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Talking

Quote:
So I bought that thing on 2/22. A month back, 1/22, I got arrested - I was playing my drums, just finished the last stinger of Jellybelly, and after the last flam, the cops banged on the door. Then my hands, previously blazing through 6s, were cuffed, for rocking too hard and achieving godhood. The cops had a special doctor come but he said I majorly ruled and they had to let me go.
I had some notes on your story; let me know what you think of my edits

Old 08-26-2019, 09:53 AM   #37
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Location: You must feel like an honorable paramedic to backup a poor singer's voice!

best part is the fake id in the mail

Old 08-26-2019, 10:56 AM   #38
Ram27
Minion of Satan

Location: Iha: All right! I can't fucking hear you! (laughs) I'm just kidding. Stop your enthusiasm.

thanks took haha

love the edits TB. I mean this isn't me posturing or anything - I literally got through Jellybelly stroking out all those rolls. To this day I haven't had the chops to do that again

Old 08-26-2019, 10:59 AM   #39
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Talking

Oh, I didn't think you were bragging, I just thought "what's the best way to tell this at a party/bar"

Old 08-27-2019, 03:11 PM   #40
meatngreet
Amish Rake Fighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by he/she/it View Post
The SPFC page for the 6/9 guitar suggests the neck or the guitar in the Rocket video might be from the silver 6/9 guitar:

"Note: The 70's neck from the Blonde/Silver version of this guitar may have been used for the guitar Billy plays in the "Rocket" video (more on that guitar to come)."

http://www.spfc.org/band/equipment.h...uipment_id=420
It couldn’t be the same neck. The neck from the 6/9 guitar was split from the headstock down to the first few frets. You can see video of the damage at the end of the 12/31/91 video, after the show. The Rocket guitar might have used the original body, with a period correct replacement neck, but the body may have been split as well. Can’t quite tell from the video.

Old 08-28-2019, 07:04 PM   #41
he/she/it
Demi-God

Quote:
It couldn’t be the same neck. The neck from the 6/9 guitar was split from the headstock down to the first few frets. You can see video of the damage at the end of the 12/31/91 video, after the show. The Rocket guitar might have used the original body, with a period correct replacement neck, but the body may have been split as well. Can’t quite tell from the video.
Cool, I hadn't watched that show before now. Yeah, it looks like you're right.

For anyone interested, here's the video of the smashing of the guitar:

https://youtu.be/rLqLqM5paa0?t=3902

Old 08-28-2019, 08:00 PM   #42
T&T
Socialphobic

Quote:

I'm glad they weren't typically a gear smashing band, but that this sort of thing happened exceptionally. I wonder what ticked him off that night?

Old 08-28-2019, 11:28 PM   #43
meatngreet
Amish Rake Fighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by T&T View Post
I'm glad they weren't typically a gear smashing band, but that this sort of thing happened exceptionally. I wonder what ticked him off that night?
As far as i know, there were only three guitar destruction shows:

1. Chicago 12/31/91 at the Pumpkins local New Years Eve headliner show, as Nirvana started dominating MTV.
2. Reading 8/29/92 at the festival where Nirvana was headlining their big “comeback” show.
3. Astoria 2/26/94 with MTV cameras rolling, the week that Billy supposedly started seeing Courtney again. Also, it was a prop guitar - a random black Fender strat that Billy obviously had pre-arranged with MTV to destroy at the end of the show.

See if you can spot the theme....

Last edited by meatngreet : 08-28-2019 at 11:34 PM.

Old 08-28-2019, 11:32 PM   #44
meatngreet
Amish Rake Fighter

Quote:

This one has just the Smashing, and the post show closeup of the guitar:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rvdwp4s1JXY

Old 08-29-2019, 05:37 AM   #45
T&T
Socialphobic

Quote:
As far as i know, there were only three guitar destruction shows:

1. Chicago 12/31/91 at the Pumpkins local New Years Eve headliner show, as Nirvana started dominating MTV.
2. Reading 8/29/92 at the festival where Nirvana was headlining their big “comeback” show.
3. Astoria 2/26/94 with MTV cameras rolling, the week that Billy supposedly started seeing Courtney again. Also, it was a prop guitar - a random black Fender strat that Billy obviously had pre-arranged with MTV to destroy at the end of the show.

See if you can spot the theme....
sounds just right and inline with the billy that we know.

Old 08-29-2019, 02:03 PM   #46
myosis
Minion of Satan

it's always been obvious to me that he had planned it, since he used a random strat, but is it obvious that MTV was in the know?

Old 08-29-2019, 03:10 PM   #47
spguitar0
Pledge

I believe this is the actual 1994 Astoria smashed strat model. Made in Mexico early 90s dark blue.
Dropped in the lace sensors and smashed away.

Old 08-29-2019, 07:57 PM   #48
meatngreet
Amish Rake Fighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by myosis View Post
it's always been obvious to me that he had planned it, since he used a random strat, but is it obvious that MTV was in the know?
Given that Billy had that strat on hand, solely for the purpose of breaking it in front of the cameras, I don’t think it’s too much of a stretch to think he gave the MTV Producers the heads up, so that they got the camera angles just right. Wouldn’t surprise me if MTV demanded that kind of stuff as part of the filming agreement.

As much as those kinds of things were filmed “live”, there is always a level of pre-production and advising that goes on behind the scenes. Think of the SNL rehearsals, or those sound check rehearsals that Nirvana did for Live n Loud. Those things usually have record execs on hand, there to have a say in the final product.