Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10-27-2014, 05:51 AM   #181
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

Old 10-27-2014, 06:11 AM   #182
fuzzyroes
Banned

haha my older brother was obsessed with that Americans Least wanted cd.

Old 10-27-2014, 09:46 AM   #183
dodoz
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyroes View Post
No ones mentioned Local H yet. They were definitely in that 2nd wave of grunge bands. They've put out several albums but I've only heard their first. It actually has some quality songs on it.

This was their big hit

It's aged pretty well
I'm a big Local H fan. These guys were real and that's probably why no one mentioned them before :P This is their second album by the way. Billy didn't like them either.

Scott Lucas (singer/guitar player) has played with Jimmy Chamberlin recently.

Old 10-28-2014, 05:02 AM   #184
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodoz View Post
I'm a big Local H fan. These guys were real and that's probably why no one mentioned them before :P This is their second album by the way. Billy didn't like them either.

Oh, no way? This was the album with High fiving mother fucker on it right? I had always thought that that was their debut. It's been aaggeesss since I've listened to that shit so my memory is kinda weary, but I think I'm gonna download it again cause I'm digging that video!

What other album would you recommend I check out by them?

Old 10-28-2014, 05:05 AM   #185
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poots View Post
What happened to Better Than Ezra. Now there was a band that wouldn't offend you. Better Than Ezra.
"Good" is still one of the tracks I'll sometimes pull outta my hat for Kareoke. It's always fun, and the people always seem to enjoy it. Countless times people have came up to me professing that they forgot that the song even existed lol

I'm pretty sure it's the only song I've ever heard by them. Or I may have heard whatever the follow up single was once or twice back in the day.

Did these guys actually have any other good songs?

Old 10-28-2014, 05:10 AM   #186
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:

Have any links to the material? that could potentially kick some major ass

Old 10-28-2014, 10:17 AM   #187
ninsp
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poots View Post
What happened to Better Than Ezra. Now there was a band that wouldn't offend you. Better Than Ezra.
Good was a jam.

Old 10-28-2014, 12:25 PM   #188
dodoz
Demi-God

Quote:
Oh, no way? This was the album with High fiving mother fucker on it right? I had always thought that that was their debut. It's been aaggeesss since I've listened to that shit so my memory is kinda weary, but I think I'm gonna download it again cause I'm digging that video!

What other album would you recommend I check out by them?
Yes, "As Good as Dead" was their second album. They already had an album the year before called "Ham Fisted". It's very grungy, less melodic than "As Good as Dead". It flopped, and wasn't distributed outside of the US, but for some reason I found ONE copy in my town (and for the price of a regular CD). I don't know how it ended there, but it made me happy.

I would recommend you to listen to the third album called "Pack up the Cats". It has a nice flow and is somewhat conceptual. It's quite an ambitious record. Sadly, it came out just when Island records was merging with Universal, and they basically dropped the album - and the band. It could and should have been bigger, it even made some "end of the year polls" in publications like Spin, something that many of the bands mentioned in this topic would have dreamed of...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivAf0MwE_AI
Enjoy

Old 10-28-2014, 12:28 PM   #189
dodoz
Demi-God

Quote:
Have any links to the material? that could potentially kick some major ass
It's just them doing a bunch of covers basically. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1R1iwFtCcas

Local H live in 96 : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rcbp6SeMKHA they toured their butts off, a LOT of shows (386 shows in a year and a half around that time). My favourite two-piece ever, such power.

Last edited by dodoz : 10-28-2014 at 12:50 PM.

Old 10-30-2014, 03:27 AM   #190
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Yes, "As Good as Dead" was their second album. They already had an album the year before called "Ham Fisted". It's very grungy, less melodic than "As Good as Dead". It flopped, and wasn't distributed outside of the US, but for some reason I found ONE copy in my town (and for the price of a regular CD). I don't know how it ended there, but it made me happy.

I would recommend you to listen to the third album called "Pack up the Cats". It has a nice flow and is somewhat conceptual. It's quite an ambitious record. Sadly, it came out just when Island records was merging with Universal, and they basically dropped the album - and the band. It could and should have been bigger, it even made some "end of the year polls" in publications like Spin, something that many of the bands mentioned in this topic would have dreamed of...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivAf0MwE_AI
Enjoy
Right on. Listening to the album now. Sounds pretty rad so far

Old 10-30-2014, 04:06 AM   #191
dreams of glass
Apocalyptic Poster

aww yeah

Old 11-01-2014, 05:26 PM   #192
Ram27
dumb

Anyone else notice that Cast a Stone and Learn to Fly are the exact same riff?

Old 11-01-2014, 07:41 PM   #193
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

well now i have

Old 11-01-2014, 07:54 PM   #194
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Location: "I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands..."

thats not the exact same riff just the same key. The first is E B C# A and the second is B F# E

Old 11-10-2014, 01:49 PM   #195
Raskolnikov
Apocalyptic Poster

Some classic 90s jams in here... what a weird era to have lived through. So glad I latched onto SP instead of some other group as a 14 year old musical virgin. I mean, imagine if I had heard Live or something before I heard Bullet? Could have been bad. I could be going to see Ed Kowalyszylkjadk playing solo acoustic jams one night and then see the rest of the band playing the next.

I digress.

Anyways, watched the Chicago episode of this last night. It was good, but man oh man is it disjoint. ALL over the place. Muddy Waters to Naked Raygun to Cheap Trick to Buddy Guy, just here and there. Must have been fun to be Grohl and get to have an excuse to film and interview all those legends of yours, though.

That said: the fact that SP wasn't at least given a name drop in that initial montage with Kanye, Wilco, etc - just insane. I mean, I get it that you don't want to focus on the band: they were your peers, they've gone off the deep end, etc - but c'mon, man. The fact that they didn't have some SP clips with Tonight, Tonight playing is just absurd.

Old 11-10-2014, 02:31 PM   #196
Ram27
dumb

I kept waiting for it to show up in the montage. it felt so wrong that it didn't

Old 11-10-2014, 02:36 PM   #197
dreams of glass
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by The exploding boy View Post
thats not the exact same riff just the same key. The first is E B C# A and the second is B F# E

yeah, it's in E major. That's Billy's "C'mon get happy" key.

Old 11-10-2014, 05:50 PM   #198
Raskolnikov
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram27 View Post
I kept waiting for it to show up in the montage. it felt so wrong that it didn't
That is the exact right feeling - just felt wrong. Either a glaring oversight (doubtful) or some weird intentional slight.

Note to self: find a way to get BC's thoughts on the matter.

Old 11-10-2014, 08:41 PM   #199
T&T
Socialphobic

Billy said he thought it was just a giant commercial for the new FF album so he didn't want to participate.

Old 11-10-2014, 08:44 PM   #200
wounded
Apocalyptic Poster

I like both silverchair and local H. Neon ballroom was a great album. New stuff is good.

Local H are great. scott lucas has had a couple different drummers, but he keeps at it and has played balls out every time i've seen them. Just some solid rock. Last time i saw them he crowd surfed over to the merch booth at the end of the show and started selling tshirts. I loved their second and third albums. Here comes the zoo was really good too actually.

wonder what the bollsters problem with them was other than they were from chicago. or maybe this song hit too close to home

pretty rockin' cover of Lorde

Last edited by wounded : 11-10-2014 at 09:07 PM.

Old 11-10-2014, 09:14 PM   #201
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by wounded View Post

this is my favorite song of theirs. i got pack up the cats and didn't really like it as much but i played as good as dead a whoooole lot.

Old 11-10-2014, 09:20 PM   #202
slunken
Virgo

if that drummer was a girl ppl wuld b all omg white strips

Old 11-10-2014, 09:27 PM   #203
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by T&T View Post
Billy said he thought it was just a giant commercial for the new FF album so he didn't want to participate.

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/b...psyqvgbsss.jpg

Old 11-11-2014, 06:24 AM   #204
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by T&T View Post
No he didn't

And besides, no ones saying Billy should have been featured in the doc. It was just odd that they weren't featured in that montage. I mean they showed the Styx, Chicago, Wilco and for crying out loud Kanye West. If those bands deserve to be mentioned then so does SP.

Old 11-11-2014, 07:56 AM   #205
davin
Physiopathic Paralysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotskilicious View Post
foo havent done anything good full stop
this.

Old 11-11-2014, 08:07 AM   #206
davin
Physiopathic Paralysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raskolnikov View Post
Anyways, watched the Chicago episode of this last night. It was good, but man oh man is it disjoint. ALL over the place. Muddy Waters to Naked Raygun to Cheap Trick to Buddy Guy, just here and there. Must have been fun to be Grohl and get to have an excuse to film and interview all those legends of yours, though.

That said: the fact that SP wasn't at least given a name drop in that initial montage with Kanye, Wilco, etc - just insane. I mean, I get it that you don't want to focus on the band: they were your peers, they've gone off the deep end, etc - but c'mon, man. The fact that they didn't have some SP clips with Tonight, Tonight playing is just absurd.
i agree that grohl manufactured a stupid non-existent connection between blues and punk rock, to try to falsify some kind of linear or direct connection in his show. "something from nothing" arguably applies to every band or artist ever, not just Chicago, except maybe Sean Lennon and the Marley children or someone else born directly into the music industry. also agree SP should have been in the montage.

they skipped over a lot of different Chicago music trends and bands. and thus far haven't really included any other 90's bands in any of the episodes other than BUSH and Nirvana as part of albini's production repertoire. i'm a raygun fan, but there are A LOT of other chicago punk bands from that scene that were never even mentioned. i think its just more of what grohl connected with personally, than a true representation of the city's music. i mean, where's the chicago house and that touch-n-go or industrial influences??

and yes, local h are the shit. i've seen them almost as many times as SP. in fact, i'd say local h, failure and sunny day real estate were all over-looked 2nd round 90's bands that should have gone further....especially compared to bands like silverchair and bush. scott lucas has taken some pretty funny jabs at BC over the years. like once at metro "its nice to be able to play here without billy corgan's permission" -- haha, classic.

Old 11-11-2014, 08:11 PM   #207
wounded
Apocalyptic Poster

i got curious. I guess Joe Daniels (original local h drummer) and Scott Lucas pretty much hate each other

http://thechroniclesofmc.blogspot.co...d-and-bad.html

Old 11-12-2014, 09:06 AM   #208
dodoz
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by slunken View Post
if that drummer was a girl ppl wuld b all omg white strips
Well, they were around before the White Stripes.

Yes, Scott & Joe are not getting along anymore and it almost ended in court.

By the way, "Pack up the Cats" was produced by...Roy Thomas Baker ! Mr Zeitgeist ! He actually did a good job on PUTC...

Old 11-12-2014, 10:02 AM   #209
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
Well, they were around before the White Stripes.

You don't say.

Old 11-13-2014, 02:48 PM   #210
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

http://www.bdcwire.com/the-pretender...nd-dave-grohl/

Quote:
I’m sure Dave Grohl is perfectly nice guy – smart, talented, and respectful of the religion that is rock – but this all becomes worthless when he tries to sell the Foo Fighters as the most rock ‘n’ roll band still alive. Seems like Anderson Cooper is the only one who buys that. Can you honestly say that their music inspires you? I’m sure it’s tied to some deep childhood memories for a lot of people, but its time to call out Grohl and the Foo Fighters for what they are.

Music is pure and honest and reliable and otherworldly, and it’s jeopardized when people create it for all the wrong reasons. And what’s worse is if it’s shaped for an audience. Or a dollar. The musicians don’t create it because they are driven mad by the fire inside them that throws them towards the craft.

Does Dave Grohl feel the need to protect his legacy? Does Dave Grohl want to keep the Foo Fighters name in the conversation? The Foo Fighters taste fake. They taste processed and soulless and repurposed. They try desperately to be something they’re not – real and raw and rock ‘n’ roll. In that regard, Dave Grohl is the perfect frontman.