Zeitgeist 54 25.47%
Voters: 212. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-14-2008, 03:21 AM   #61
runnersdialzero
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by greedo View Post
I'm not sure what you're trying to say.

Gish is just amateurish compared to everything Billy has done since. His vocals sound bored (even more so than on Zeitgeist), the riffs are bland, the lyrics are uninteresting, and the production is lacklustre.

Machina sounds more like SD, MCIS, Adore, and Zeitgeist than Gish by a long shot.

Even with the band being as diverse as they are, Gish sounds like another band entirely, while Zeitgeist and Adore just sound like the same band in a different mood (i.e. era, I suppose).

I like Marilyn Manson's Mechanical Animals album (which Billy worked on), but I can't stand Linkin Park.
ya huh

Old 03-14-2008, 04:21 AM   #62
r0cket
Pledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by maoi View Post
the 3rd chick over has a man face

Old 03-14-2008, 06:12 AM   #63
kingflupps
Oblivious Virgin

For me its Zeitgeist but only just, I agree with the 'hollow core' idea with Gish but that compares with the vocal weakness on Zeitgeist. I was initially dissappointed with Zeitgeist but when I heard it live I fell in love with it. Death From Above, Bleeding The Orchid and Starz are all tracks that really blew me away at the gigs that initially dissapointed on the record. Obviously Tarantula is a classic! After the live shows in 2007-08 I really started getting into the album so maybe if I get to see them do some Gish stuff live the same will happen. I've seen the Pumpkins 4 times since the 2000 tour and never heard any Gish apart from Siva. Fingers crossed this 'gish era' thing happens.

MCIS=SD>Adore>Machina=Zeitgeist>Machina2=PI>Gish

Old 03-14-2008, 06:23 AM   #64
Luke de Spa
someone more...punk rock?

Location: Ice cream pig out in M1-aud is why i don't play plug in baby the wrong way, like you

Quote:
Originally Posted by davin View Post
gish is my favorite pumpkins record.

its also my favorite record of all time, by any band ever. its my "desert island" record...and my "sitting on death row" record.

the music, the lyrics, the song-writing...its the "spirit of the time" for me, with emotional and personal connections galore.
yeah how about those lyrics.

jesus christ

Old 03-14-2008, 08:08 AM   #65
MeAndMyLlama

yeah anyone who is voting for zeitgeist go back and listen to it in 17 years. wont age half as well. gish >>>>>>>>>> zeitgeist

Old 03-14-2008, 08:28 AM   #66
Kahlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete View Post
Crush, snail, suffer- never even began to do anything for me. Just a kind of hollow core to the album at tracks 5 6 7. Hence I voted Zeitgeist.
Pete just made me die inside a little bit.

Old 03-14-2008, 08:36 AM   #67
pete
Apocalyptic Poster

I always give them another chance it seems...I put those 3 tracks on, and I suddenly realise I was meant to be listening to the music as soon as tristessa kicks in.

Old 03-14-2008, 08:56 AM   #68
New Art Rioter
Apocalyptic Poster

How can anyone not like Snail?! Or Crush or Suffer. That final 3/4 build up in Snail into the last solo and Jimmy's crazy drumming, that's fucking gold right there.

Old 03-14-2008, 09:27 AM   #69
xezton
Ownz

I picked Gish because I like the solos. The solos in that album, and SD, are probably my favorite guitar solos ever.

As an album in general, I think the two are fairly equal. So kill me.

Since other people did this, I guess I will:

Machina = Adore > MCIS > SD > TFE > Gish = Zeitgeist > Pisces Iscariot > MSOTS > Machina II

Old 03-14-2008, 12:40 PM   #70
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!

I still don't understand this, everything about Zeitgeist is inferior to Gish. The most appealing song on Zeitgeist (which for me is United States) is about 1/10 as creative as my least favorite on Gish, which is Suffer.

Old 03-14-2008, 02:12 PM   #71
Eulogy
huh

Quote:
Originally Posted by maoi View Post
man i would not rank machina II or machina I over Gish, but I see that opinion a lot. I think thats the main diverging point among the fans who got into SP early 90s and then those who got into them post adore.
yeah...i got into them with machina, essentially. i had always liked them but i was young and into other things until i got heavily into machina. and i wouldn't immediately rate gish higher than machina. it's a really tough call because i think they're so vastly different that it's hard to compare them. i will say that there is nothing as "good" as SIYL or AOI on Gish. but there's nothing as mediocre as CTOM or BSBT on Gish.

Old 03-14-2008, 02:12 PM   #72
Eulogy
huh

actually scratch that, Bury Me is in the same league as SIYL and AOI

Old 03-14-2008, 02:13 PM   #73
Eulogy
huh

hell maybe even Rhino. geh. and Snail too. maybe i am one and siva

alright nevermind i don't know what i'm talking about.

Old 03-14-2008, 02:15 PM   #74
Eulogy
huh

they're both clearly better than zeitgeist though. and i like zeitgeist a lot.

Old 03-14-2008, 02:29 PM   #75
redhawk
Pledge

SD>Gish
Zeitgeist>SD
Gish>Zeitgeist

Old 03-14-2008, 02:41 PM   #76
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

FUCK

Old 03-14-2008, 03:02 PM   #77
sherm
Pledge

snail is awesome clearly. the guitar on that album is the shat. i also really dig much of the mashed potatoes/reel time work (egg, moleasskiss,east, c'mon, wave song, etc.)

PI>SD=MCIS/TAFH>Gish>Machina II>Adore>MSOTS>Machina

Very little seperation though. Its all amazing in its on way. Typically non-album or b-side material is more enjoyable though for me.

Old 03-14-2008, 05:59 PM   #78
Andy /

re: repeated text posts that take up 1,065,565,645 lines of the page

please stop. Remember, the rule on this particular part of the board is not to make threads unreadable and, while not exactly fucking the thread up, it sure does make it shitty to read.

Last edited by Andy / : 03-14-2008 at 06:15 PM.

Old 03-14-2008, 06:28 PM   #79
pale blue eyes
NOPE.

Gish isn't perfect, but it's got heart. Some umph. Energy, whatever you want to call it. Within the best moments in Gish are exactly what is missing throughout all of Zeitgeist.

Old 03-14-2008, 07:38 PM   #80
greedo
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post
I still don't understand this, everything about Zeitgeist is inferior to Gish. The most appealing song on Zeitgeist (which for me is United States) is about 1/10 as creative as my least favorite on Gish, which is Suffer.
That depends on your definition of 'creative' vs 'wanky'.

On Gish Billy is trying so hard to be cool/creative/unique, but it comes across (to me at least) as affected. Zeitgeist comes across to me as Billy and Jimmy doing what they want to do with no concern for whether the audience is there or not. Much more 'honest', and that translates in the music to my ears.

Let's face it, they knew they could have created a more successful (both critically and in sales) album if they had wanted to.

That's not so say Zeitgeist is up there with MCIS or Machina.

Old 03-15-2008, 12:56 AM   #81
stumpycat
Apocalyptic Poster

There specifically seems to be very little love for a song like Suffer. Why is this? It's such a moody and atmospheric song, and the recorder solo really works well to take the mood to the next level in a pleasantly unexpected but perfectly fitting manner.

Old 03-15-2008, 07:53 AM   #82
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

i love suffer

Old 03-15-2008, 11:35 AM   #83
Gish08
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by brothergoddard View Post
Gish- tracks 5-10 are hardly amazing
Bullshit.

Old 03-15-2008, 02:17 PM   #84
redbreegull

Quote:
Originally Posted by greedo View Post

Let's face it, they knew they could have created a more successful (both critically and in sales) album if they had wanted to.

That's not so say Zeitgeist is up there with MCIS or Machina.
Are you serious? Zeitgeist was pretty much written to cater directly to the rock charts. It is by far the most "mainstream" sounding Pumpkins record.

And Gish is about a hundred times better than machina.

Old 03-15-2008, 02:23 PM   #85
cork_soaker
full of longing

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_adore_adore View Post
NUH-UUUUUUUUH!

It is really hard to say which SP albums are "better" than which, because they really are all very different. It all comes down to personal taste.

My friends make fun of me and ask me all the time, "Are the Pumpkins the only band you listen to?" (they're not, for the record...) But really, they've been so stylistically diverse that I feel like I can put a Pumpkins album on no matter what mood I'm in. I can't say that about a lot of bands. There are definitely days that I'd rather listen to SD than Gish, but overall I find myself enjoying Gish more.

Now see, I've never really been crazy about Today. It was one of the first songs I heard by the Pumpkins (I downloaded a bunch of random tunes when I first got into them), and even before I knew it was "uncool" to love "Today," I didn't really like it. I didn't DISLIKE it, but it never did much for me.

different strokes for different folks.
but how do you feel about adore?

Old 03-15-2008, 03:55 PM   #86
themadcaplaughs
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
There specifically seems to be very little love for a song like Suffer. Why is this? It's such a moody and atmospheric song, and the recorder solo really works well to take the mood to the next level in a pleasantly unexpected but perfectly fitting manner.
Forgot about that aspect of "Suffer." That recorder solo kind of reminds me of the violin part in Superchrist in terms of "did I jsut hear that?"

As for Gish, whatever mediocrity liesi n tracks 4-7, I Am One, Siva, Rhinoceros, and Window Paine all make up for it.

Old 03-15-2008, 05:54 PM   #87
davin
Physiopathic Paralysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke de Spa View Post
yeah how about those lyrics.

jesus christ

Old 03-15-2008, 05:57 PM   #88
davin
Physiopathic Paralysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Art Rioter View Post
How can anyone not like Snail?! Or Crush or Suffer. That final 3/4 build up in Snail into the last solo and Jimmy's crazy drumming, that's fucking gold right there.
thats what i'm saying...

Old 03-15-2008, 06:52 PM   #89
hnibos
Braindead

this is really a litmus test to see if youre retarded

Old 03-15-2008, 06:54 PM   #90
Cool As Ice Cream

LITMUS LOL!